Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gold Sellers

LeMage
05.28.2020 , 11:26 AM | #1
The starter planets have gotten even more crazy. Dear Friend... less than 30 seconds apart.
Sure I can ignore Yuatgdfterfshl but right after there is Ghtmknxbhcgdy. Since chat can mark 'obscene' words with f*** before showing, can't it filter okaygold "dear friend" or w/e and send right to not shown? Or instead of ignoring by sender, doesn't work well in these guy's cases, can Bioware make it "If message content contains X & Y or Z don't show message.

At least make them and their bots visible on map and targetable. Make killing them a conquest item and I'm happy.
--,-'-{@ RIP MxO @}--,-'-

SteveTheCynic
05.28.2020 , 12:06 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by LeMage View Post
The starter planets have gotten even more crazy. Dear Friend... less than 30 seconds apart.
Sure I can ignore Yuatgdfterfshl but right after there is Ghtmknxbhcgdy. Since chat can mark 'obscene' words with f*** before showing, can't it filter okaygold "dear friend" or w/e and send right to not shown? Or instead of ignoring by sender, doesn't work well in these guy's cases, can Bioware make it "If message content contains X & Y or Z don't show message.
They can, but the spammers will just use \/\/ instead of W, or C0/\/\ instead of com, or "My friend" or "Hail, friends!" instead of "Dear friend", and so on. It's a never-ending battle similar to the one in armoured warfare between armour and weapons. It *isn't* worth the effort because in the end, the weapons win.(1)
Quote: Originally Posted by LeMage View Post
At least make them and their bots visible on map and targetable. Make killing them a conquest item and I'm happy.
OK, but since they are the same faction as the players, that would summon memories of purpling up in ArcheAge so I could attack my own faction. No, because how do you stop it being used to grief actual new newbies?

(1) That's why modern warships don't have meaningful amounts of armour. A WWII battleship whose main armour belt wasn't well over a foot thick was essentially unprotected, but with the rise of various sorts of surface-to-surface and air-to-surface missiles, most notoriously Silkworm and Exocet, there's no point any more.
Something you find difficult is a lesson on how to play better, not a punishment for playing badly.
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

jasonflex
05.28.2020 , 02:46 PM | #3
They should restrict general chat to level 10+ or something like that.

Eriamea
05.28.2020 , 02:54 PM | #4
They could easily silence them and get rid of them but are putting no efforts at all.

Toraak
05.28.2020 , 02:54 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonflex View Post
I doubt this would matter much, unless they restricted it to level 71+. I'm not actually saying that would be a good idea however, since that would affect every character that hasn't reached that level. Just that it would mean those accounts would be forced to not only level the characters, but be Subscribed for at least one month.

I could be wrong, however from what I'd guess most of the gold sellers on the starter worlds are on F2P accounts for spamming purposes, so are easily created, and abandoned if they got banned.

Unfortunately I truly don't have any good idea's on how to deal with them, except to turn off the General Chat if your going to a starter world.

Banthabreeder
05.28.2020 , 04:32 PM | #6
Sorry folks but Bioware will never do anything about it. The game is how old now, and to this day, the spammers are still given free reign.

All you can do is put them on /ignore. Report Spam does nothing so don't even waste your time. You'll just get aggravated.

Over the many years, we all have given suggestions on how to deal with them and Bioware just ignores us. So, there is nothing you can really do about it other than the ignore thing.
“Don’t call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease.”

rumpol
05.28.2020 , 04:36 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
T1) That's why modern warships don't have meaningful amounts of armour. A WWII battleship whose main armour belt wasn't well over a foot thick was essentially unprotected, but with the rise of various sorts of surface-to-surface and air-to-surface missiles, most notoriously Silkworm and Exocet, there's no point any more.
Minor nitpick. Destroyers "back then" had very little armour too. There are no real equivalents of battleships today, they are obsolete. Modern Aircraft carriers are more heavily armoured than back then.

xordevoreaux
05.28.2020 , 10:23 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonflex View Post
That, or charge non-subs 10 cartel coins for each gen chat message, that'll keep the spammers off the channel!
About my SWTOR guilds
Check out my Sims4 mods on Nexus.

ceryxp
05.28.2020 , 11:11 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Toraak View Post
I could be wrong, however from what I'd guess most of the gold sellers on the starter worlds are on F2P accounts for spamming purposes, so are easily created, and abandoned if they got banned.
You are wrong. F2P accounts can not use general chat at level 1, and when they can use general chat they have a one min cool down between messages. So the credit spammers absolutely can not be F2P accounts as, first, they wouldn't be able to use chat, and, second, they post far too frequently.
≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈
Just your average, opinionated, disabled, queer gaymer.

xordevoreaux
05.29.2020 , 01:43 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
You are wrong. F2P accounts can not use general chat at level 1, and when they can use general chat they have a one min cool down between messages. So the credit spammers absolutely can not be F2P accounts as, first, they wouldn't be able to use chat, and, second, they post far too frequently.
You forget what we usually see are two gold spammers spamming in pairs, so for two FTP accounts to alternate their messages between the timer, that's completely doable.
About my SWTOR guilds
Check out my Sims4 mods on Nexus.