Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Streaming GSF


Drakkolich's Avatar


Drakkolich
05.13.2015 , 02:49 AM | #241
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
Might I suggest that your stream might be more entertaining if you did something else besides fly a Rampart? In a competitive match, I know it is vital. But it seems like that is your goto ship in any Domination--tonight you were in a Rampart every match, coordinating beacon hopping with 2+ other Ramparts against teams made up of primarily solo-queuing amateurs.

If you want to evangelize GSF, and the match is not going to be a competitive one, then I see no need to stack Ramparts, and it's not that interesting to watch--especially if it's not a close match. To the layman, watching your circle a node, as a team of inept newbies fails to kill you over and over again while you 3-cap, is not a good advertisement for GSF.

I cannot carry a Domination--you don't need to pull out SUPER BEACON TEAM to win every time you see my name.

If anything, flying your less-upgraded ships, and showing success with them, would be more inspiring to prospective new GSF players.
Not that I need to explain my motives for playing certain ships for any reason, everyone who watches my stream knows I play a lot of Razorwire/Rampart, in fact it's the ship I get the most questions about how to play it in the chat.
However my Rampart on Ebonhawk has very little requisition (23 games played) and as I've been playing more there I've been trying to get more requisition on it for the competitive games. Now I agree with you watching me play my Razorwire in complete 3 cap stomps is a very boring stream so to gain requisition on it I tend to try to play it in games where there is atleast someone on the enemy team that knows how to kill it, that atleast keeps it somewhat interesting for the viewers while I gain that requisition.

My only other ship on that character is my Gunship which has quite a bit of requisition at this point however when I play that vs you or others on the server I get the exact same treatment if not worse that you are currently bringing with this post. (68 games played)

My Flashfire actually has very little requisition, so little in fact I didn't want to field it against players like you and Cedwic. I've been playing this ship in the games I don't see those players to earn requisition on it to be able to field it in competitive games. (16 games played)

I'd like to mention in the 4 games you are talking about 2 of them ended at about 700-1000 and 2 of them at about 250-1000. These aren't exactly the 1000-10 3 caps you make them sound like, I in fact had to work to keep those nodes from you sniping at me.Hell of the games we played was my Game of the Day out of a 5 hour long stream.

Sriia is learning Bomber when she plays with me at the moment and these seemed like great games for us to practice our coordination with them since there were players like you in them.


Now as far as I'm concerned with you the "ship/build shaming" needs to really stop. Anyone can play the game any which way they want and shouldn't be criticized or harassed for doing so.


For anyone actually curious how far along my Rampart is here is my current build:
Heavy's T4
Seismic T1
Interdiction T3
Charged plating T2
Hyperspace beacon T1
Deflection Armor T3
Regeneration Extender T3
Large Reactor T3
Range sensor T0

Total requisition spend on Rampart: 9000 (component purchases) + 47500 (upgrades) = 56500 Total
Cost to Master a Rampart: 9000 + 147500 = 156500 Total

I'm not even halfway mastered and your asking me to play my "less requisitioned" ships.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Nemarus's Avatar


Nemarus
05.13.2015 , 08:36 AM | #242
I'm not questioning your motives. I know you're a nice guy just trying to have fun.

But I do think your stream would be more interesting with more variety of perspectives.

I'm not trying to "shame" you or complain about losing. I had plenty of fun in those matches--it was the best I've played a Mangler in a while. But I do think that your stream would be more compelling if it wasn't hour after hour of circling nodes in a Bomber. Especially when we got the same map and gametype three or four times in a row. Mix it up a little!

You're a great pilot. You have proven you can do well in any ship, including stocks. You have mastered ships on multiple servers--why is requisition even such a concern? Your Rampart is already 90% as effective as it will ever be, so long as you've got your cooldowns lowered and your DR maxed. The only costly upgrade of any consequence is armor piercing on heavy lasers. Everything else is just small % increases here and there.

You can fly what you want. I'll still have fun. But as someone who watches your streams, regardless of whether I'm participating in the matches or not--I thought you might welcome some feedback. Most successful streamers do. Even your "Game of the Day" streams are going to get repetitive if they are all from the perspective of a Bomber, because we don't get to see the action. Even your own personal kills happen behind you, off screen--we really only have the scoreboard and voice chat to know what is happening.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. This feedback was meant as a viewer, not your opponent. That's why I put it in this thread.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Verain's Avatar


Verain
05.13.2015 , 09:56 AM | #243
If you don't want to watch a bomber stream, well, Drako's stream isn't always that, and I'm surprised you could think that. If this is really about not liking a good bomber on the opposing team from you, well, giving advice by speaking for the rest of Drako's viewers is... I mean, hop in chat and request another ship, he plays request ships pretty often.

This looks like you are combining "don't seismic me bro" with "here's some stream advice". I'm not sure the second is that relevant, given how much of every ship Drako plays, and the first is not really advice at all.


Note: Super Serious Nights recently normally have Drakolich in a bomber than prior. Ultimately, this is a result of player comp changes and nothing else.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Nemarus's Avatar


Nemarus
05.13.2015 , 11:21 AM | #244
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
If you don't want to watch a bomber stream, well, Drako's stream isn't always that, and I'm surprised you could think that. If this is really about not liking a good bomber on the opposing team from you, well, giving advice by speaking for the rest of Drako's viewers is... I mean, hop in chat and request another ship, he plays request ships pretty often.

This looks like you are combining "don't seismic me bro" with "here's some stream advice". I'm not sure the second is that relevant, given how much of every ship Drako plays, and the first is not really advice at all.


Note: Super Serious Nights recently normally have Drakolich in a bomber than prior. Ultimately, this is a result of player comp changes and nothing else.
Drakolich's stream is largely that. Especially each "Game of the Day". But watching an exciting game from a Bomber's perspective--even one as dynamic and aggressive as Drakolich's--isn't very exciting.

And this has nothing with "don't seismic me bro" and I challenge you to quote anything I said that hints at that. If Drakolich's mines killed me last night, it's because I made the calculated decision to close on the node to try and kill him with BLC (I was a Mangler). Sometimes I succeeded. Sometimes his mines got me first. Sometimes his allies got me. It was fun and enjoyable ... for me to play against.

But watching the streams this morning? They were not very compelling to watch, because it was 100% node-circling. Sometimes during moderately stiff competition, but also sometimes during 3-caps in Drakolich's favor.

In those matches, Sriia and Mae-thon started switching to a variety of different ships, and I could hear them talking about their intense fights and various heroics--some against me, some with Cedwic or others. But you could never see that part of the match, because Drakolich was stuck on node duty. I'm just curious why Drakolich felt he couldn't/shouldn't switch like they did.

My point is simply that--if the competition is not super serious (which it wasn't--this is Ebon Hawk we're talking about)--then I'm surprised Drakolich wouldn't want to stream from a more dynamic point of view. If the team needs a Rampart, then there are plenty of other people who can fly one. And if the match started to go south, Drakolich could always switch back.

It just struck me as odd that he was 100% Rampart for the whole time he was on The Ebon Hawk last night, especially while streaming.

But it's his choice. There's no grudge or bitterness--I was just offering a suggestion to make his stream (and thus GSF exposure) more interesting, based on my opinion and experience.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Lendul's Avatar


Lendul
05.13.2015 , 12:43 PM | #245
Nem has a point and it's a good one.

Drakkolich's Avatar


Drakkolich
05.13.2015 , 02:08 PM | #246
One thing I think everyone needs to realize when watching my stream is that I stream every game now, there isn't any playing off stream anymore, it's been like this for 3-4 months now. So if I want to level a ship I'm doing it on stream, on my EbonHawk republic character I'm still lacking requisition on my competitive ships, which means I'm playing those 3 until they are all mastered, that is just how I gear characters on new servers.

Which means since the Razorwire/Rampart can only be played in Domination I tend to just play that until it's mastered in domination games and play Mangler/Quarrel and Sting/Flashfire in Deathmatchs until those are mastered. This is my gearing strategy to get the best ships the fastest, afterwards I start gearing for fun ships.

Now as for last nights stream I did indeed play 5 Rampart matches in a row because I needed requisition on it and we happened to get the same map that many times in a row, however I streamed for 5 hours straight last night. I played a total of 17 games, they were 5 Rampart, 1 Clarion, 1 Quarrel and 10 Flashfire games. It's not like I only play Bomber ever.

I'd also like to point at the games where I played Bomber last night were the funnest to me personally I got to do some really tricky stuff and that was really fun. I blocked 2-3 Railgun shots by placing a mine directly between myself and a Gunship to save my life and that always feels AMAZING.

I get some people think watching Bomber is boring, hell I think there are a lot of players out there that think playing it is boring. I however don't feel that way, I love playing my Bomber there is so much more strategy and positioning involved in playing it then the other ships. I do however try to do some fun stuff for the stream while playing it, we had a sick 1v1 out in open space in one of the games and I remember the chat instantly lit up and how cool that was.


On to why I was so upset!
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
I cannot carry a Domination--you don't need to pull out SUPER BEACON TEAM to win every time you see my name.

If anything, flying your less-upgraded ships, and showing success with them, would be more inspiring to prospective new GSF players.
This screams please stop flying your Bomber vs me.

As for flying fun and odd ships and showing success with them, I do that in spades on Bastion. I fly missiles only PIkes, Rapid fire lasers/Sabo probe scouts, Double missile jurgorans...
Once I'm done gearing my competitive ships on EbonHawk you'll see it there too.


Yesterday I decided to go to EbonHawk because we had a new streamer that was playing there, I spent a bunch time watching him and helping him out via the chat on twitch. After getting murdered by Eclipse Squadron, one game so bad he was stuck being spawn camped. He asked if I wanted to do a double stream with him, I agreed and we grouped up and got in mumble together. Playing my Bomber also gave him a much closer respawn while learning and also made it easier for him to just go practice killing people.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Nemarus's Avatar


Nemarus
05.13.2015 , 02:36 PM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
One thing I think everyone needs to realize when watching my stream is that I stream every game now, there isn't any playing off stream anymore, it's been like this for 3-4 months now. So if I want to level a ship I'm doing it on stream, on my EbonHawk republic character I'm still lacking requisition on my competitive ships, which means I'm playing those 3 until they are all mastered, that is just how I gear characters on new servers.

Which means since the Razorwire/Rampart can only be played in Domination I tend to just play that until it's mastered in domination games and play Mangler/Quarrel and Sting/Flashfire in Deathmatchs until those are mastered. This is my gearing strategy to get the best ships the fastest, afterwards I start gearing for fun ships.

Now as for last nights stream I did indeed play 5 Rampart matches in a row because I needed requisition on it and we happened to get the same map that many times in a row, however I streamed for 5 hours straight last night. I played a total of 17 games, they were 5 Rampart, 1 Clarion, 1 Quarrel and 10 Flashfire games. It's not like I only play Bomber ever.

I'd also like to point at the games where I played Bomber last night were the funnest to me personally I got to do some really tricky stuff and that was really fun. I blocked 2-3 Railgun shots by placing a mine directly between myself and a Gunship to save my life and that always feels AMAZING.

I get some people think watching Bomber is boring, hell I think there are a lot of players out there that think playing it is boring. I however don't feel that way, I love playing my Bomber there is so much more strategy and positioning involved in playing it then the other ships. I do however try to do some fun stuff for the stream while playing it, we had a sick 1v1 out in open space in one of the games and I remember the chat instantly lit up and how cool that was.


On to why I was so upset!


This screams please stop flying your Bomber vs me.

As for flying fun and odd ships and showing success with them, I do that in spades on Bastion. I fly missiles only PIkes, Rapid fire lasers/Sabo probe scouts, Double missile jurgorans...
Once I'm done gearing my competitive ships on EbonHawk you'll see it there too.


Yesterday I decided to go to EbonHawk because we had a new streamer that was playing there, I spent a bunch time watching him and helping him out via the chat on twitch. After getting murdered by Eclipse Squadron, one game so bad he was stuck being spawn camped. He asked if I wanted to do a double stream with him, I agreed and we grouped up and got in mumble together. Playing my Bomber also gave him a much closer respawn while learning and also made it easier for him to just go practice killing people.
Fair enough.

And yes, I loved our open air Rampart vs. Mangler duel

I feel like we had many interesting and fun encounters, and I would never want to dissuade you from flying any ship purely on my account. I get enough easy matches as it is and dont care about my personal win/loss record on most alts.

What I do worry about is other newer players getting punished for me being on their team. I feel like if I am in a match, then it results in the opposite team shifting to ruthless mode, playing their best ships, 3-capping, beacon-hopping, etc. I am still able to personally perform and have fun, but the rest of my team PUG team just gets shut down. They sit on a node as your mines tear them up, and even when they do finally kill you through attrition, you come right back because there's a coordinated beacon chain which they have no experience stopping. Meanwhile you are 3-capping, so they have no opportunity to earn requisition.

In those matches, especially the first one, I feel like you guys would have played a lot less ruthlessly if I hadn't been present. You even said you didn't recognize any names but mine.

So yeah, I was curious why you came at us so hard. Not mad, just curious. What you've said about your req-gaining strategy, and that you stream all games, makes sense. I look forward to when your TEH Pub hangar is more filled out so that we can mess around a bit more.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Drakkolich's Avatar


Drakkolich
05.13.2015 , 02:55 PM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
Fair enough.

And yes, I loved our open air Rampart vs. Mangler duel

I feel like we had many interesting and fun encounters, and I would never want to dissuade you from flying any ship purely on my account. I get enough easy matches as it is and dont care about my personal win/loss record on most alts.

What I do worry about is other newer players getting punished for me being on their team. I feel like if I am in a match, then it results in the opposite team shifting to ruthless mode, playing their best ships, 3-capping, beacon-hopping, etc. I am still able to personally perform and have fun, but the rest of my team PUG team just gets shut down. They sit on a node as your mines tear them up, and even when they do finally kill you through attrition, you come right back because there's a coordinated beacon chain which they have no experience stopping. Meanwhile you are 3-capping, so they have no opportunity to earn requisition.

In those matches, especially the first one, I feel like you guys would have played a lot less ruthlessly if I hadn't been present. You even said you didn't recognize any names but mine.

So yeah, I was curious why you came at us so hard. Not mad, just curious. What you've said about your req-gaining strategy, and that you stream all games, makes sense. I look forward to when your TEH Pub hangar is more filled out so that we can mess around a bit more.
So here is the thing, we do go ruthless mode when we see good players on the other team because those are the only games we really can do it. For example I played 17 games yesterday the only 4 I got to play like that was vs you, so there were 13 games where I bummed around and played target practice with the new players on the enemy team.

For this reason you probably won't ever fight me in anything but a competitive ship, because the games where I get to really push those ships is going to be vs opponents like you. This more then anything else is what my viewers are always clamoring for, for me to hold nothing back and I just don't like doing it against newer players.

You said it yourself we get plenty of easy matches so when we see one or two names that we recognize I want to show my viewers what I can really do to win games.

So I guess it is kinda of true that newer players that end up on your team vs us do get caught in our crossfire but rest assured when you're not on their team we do tone it down.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

nyghtrunner's Avatar


nyghtrunner
05.13.2015 , 03:04 PM | #249
Great. See, this is where it starts, and when we're all just organic batteries, guess who they'll blame?

"This is all Joker's fault. What a tool he was. I have to spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord."
Master, I marked the best escape pod for your use. I of course, will go down with the ship.
Graendahl / Semírhage : Hawkë / Mierín

Verain's Avatar


Verain
05.13.2015 , 05:09 PM | #250
I also want to point out that while to a person who doesn't understand GSF watching bomber can be puzzling and boring, and to a GSF ace watching a bomber can be boring because it's not as kinetic, there's plenty of players trying to get better at the game by seeing a lot more of it. Those players want to see all ships played, and they normally want to see top meta ships played.

How much of the stream is in which category? I really don't know. We end up playing with and against stream viewers reasonably often, so my assumption is mostly that it's people who play GSF with some assortment of "want to see other players", "want to see cool things happen", and "want to learn to play better" among them. I don't know the proportions, and there aren't so many viewers anyway. Normally, Drako just does what they ask whenever he next can anyway.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."