Coming back after many years away. Is crafting Viable?

Cripop

"Levelling" armour and weapons aren't sellable for the *stats* because they don't last long enough to be useful, but the armour can be sold, kinda, for looks using the Outfit Designer.

Example: https://i.imgur.com/HV8WAXu.jpg shows the "Charged Hypercloth Force-Expert's" set on an Impside character. It's fixed-stats requires-level-61 armour made by Synthweaving, and it's the simplest way to get that look. The character (on the left) is max-level here, and is wearing the gear in an Outfit Designer slot because she uses actual requires-max-level gear for stats, but wants to look like that.

End-game armour and weapons are also fixed-stats, and it's not feasible to learn the schematics for top-strength versions of them fast enough to be worth bothering with. The same is true of "ordinary" mod-objects (armorings, barrels, enhancements, hilts, mods).

Otherwise consider:

* Biochemistry consumables (medpacks, stims, adrenals)

* Augments of all kinds at MK-10 or MK-11 strength (MK-10 are cheap to make, MK-11 are stronger)

* Cybertech consumables (grenades)

* Artifice consumables (armour dyes)

Thank you for the quick and detailed response, Steve. I come from SWG back in the day and did a lot with crafting which is a bummer here. I have a 600 Cybertech and Scav that I was going to level to 700 but from what I gather from your post, it might not be worth my time?

Thank you for the quick and detailed response, Steve. I come from SWG back in the day and did a lot with crafting which is a bummer here. I have a 600 Cybertech and Scav that I was going to level to 700 but from what I gather from your post, it might not be worth my time?

At almost any stage in the life of SWTOR, crafting is a let down compared to SWG (or any other "sandbox" MMORPG), of course, because of the thematic differences between the two "types" of game ("themepark" like SWTOR and many others versus "sandbox" like SWG and different others).

But yes, there's not a lot for Cybertech to do in end-game, mostly because the gearing process makes a severe mockery of the rate at which crafters can learn top-tier schematics compared to people just acquiring the equivalent items themselves. (It means that it's easier to just crank yourself to 306 with FPs or other activities and then keep rolling at the vendor on the Fleet until you've got the Earpiece you want than it is to learn to craft it.)

Sorry to have to tell you that, because crafting was previously less awful than it is with 6.0 and later.

Good evening everyone,

Just wanted to see if it was still worth it? Are any crew skills worth leveling for trade or is everything just looted from instances etc? Thank you all!

Quite frankly it depends, for a new/inexperienced player it's much easier to just pick 3 gathering skills and farm nodes on the new planets to sell the grade 11 materials on GTN, there are big profits to be made on GTN with crafting items but the competition is fierce and it basically requires 8 50 influence companions, quite a few of each crew skill at 700 for supplementing materials and a fair bit of time

Augments, Kits, Dyes as well as if you have any of the old rare crystal or armor schematics from 5+ years ago are all safe choices for making credits, for cheaper items selling large volumes is basically a requirement but its fairly straightforward

Yeah I know you can't compare the two but I wanted to give some background for reference. I currently have 1 or 2 70s and a couple of 65s. I started back at launch 9 years ago!

I am willing to grind up 50 influence companions over time if I feel like it will pay off in the end. Should I keep cyber tech then or would it be better if I replaced it? I could also have my alt leveled up too and then still keep cyber tech on my main while doing other stuff on the alt. I have tried to do some digging online but not much for in-depth info these days for the new crafting (6.0). Thank you again!

If you have lots of time its easier and cheaper to just gather grade 11 mats. Quite lucrative and you don't have to spend the steep entry fee to get into crafting. Grade 11s sell quite nicely on the gtn. If you have the amplifier and guild gather bonus you get an amazing number of mats from each nod.

Second step would be to craft bonded attachments. These are free if you gather your own mats and you get free ones if you crit during crafting. Not much competition, though not a huge market, but very nice mark-up and pretty easy.

• 1 month later...

I too was a SWG crafter and am back from the launch of SWTOR after many years away, and have 5 characters leveled to lvl 60 only for crafting purposes. Do they have any purpose at all in the new game?

Many of my archived skills seem uncraftable now with the change in recipes.

I too was a SWG crafter and am back from the launch of SWTOR after many years away, and have 5 characters leveled to lvl 60 only for crafting purposes. Do they have any purpose at all in the new game?

The archived schematics, in general, aren't *worth* crafting because the newer schematics (go see the trainers) cost fewer materials and are stronger and (usually) craftable at lower crafting levels.

But if you have Biochemistry you can make stims and medpacks and so on that are interesting (and not bound), and Augments are only available by crafting(1).

(1) Yes, you can buy them on the GTN, but in that case, someone *else* crafted them.

crafting is pretty competitive right now so if you don't understand the market or can get most of your mats by yourself its easier to earn credits by simply picking up 3 gathering skills and farming nodes, before crafting was ultra easy so basically anyone could make a few credits off it but now most leveling/lowbie stuff is irrelevant and its mainly cosmetics and endgame gear that sells