Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Choosing Your Choices: SWTOR and Story Skipping

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Choosing Your Choices: SWTOR and Story Skipping

Nichos_Ketra
10.23.2021 , 08:29 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
You two may find this thread on Reddit interesting. It details how you can play certain parts of Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne whilst skipping the rest. For example, using the information in this post it would be possible for a light sided Sith to skip ET and still keep Senya and Arcann.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme..._autocomplete/
That seemed useful initially, but it actually talks about how you still get default choices no matter what you do unless you use a really involved method, and at that point it's easier to just run the content. (And I'd be running KotFE and KotET normally anyway, since it's everything preceding that that wears me out to run over and over.) And it only covers events from KotFE and KotET, not prior to that, which doesn't help with the default choice faction lightside/darkside skip issue. So a solution here would still be necessary.

Pricia
10.24.2021 , 05:53 AM | #42
You can keep Koth and Arcann/Senya as an imp by playing KotFE to chapter X, then skipping to KotET chapter 1 then Ossus (by making the right choices, obviously).

Or if you don't care about Koth (not worth it for me to play 10 chapters just to keep him), start KotFE, skip to KotET, do chapter 1, then Ossus.

Honestly though, it's never made any sense to me that default choices would be done per faction and not per alignment. Obviously it wouldn't work on new 70 characters, but for existing ones, that would really be appreciated.

ceryxp
10.24.2021 , 05:58 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Nichos_Ketra View Post
That seemed useful initially, but it actually talks about how you still get default choices no matter what you do unless you use a really involved method, and at that point it's easier to just run the content. (And I'd be running KotFE and KotET normally anyway, since it's everything preceding that that wears me out to run over and over.) And it only covers events from KotFE and KotET, not prior to that, which doesn't help with the default choice faction lightside/darkside skip issue. So a solution here would still be necessary.
Well, as I said, you may find it interesting.

Yes, a choose-your-own-adventure allowing us to pick everything that happens rather than default factional based choices a la the catch-up mechanic used in Mass Effect would be fabulous, but in the absence of such a system one must choose to either live with the default choices, keep their character in a pre-Fallen Empire limbo and never do any newer content with them, or decide which of the default choices matter more and make the choice to play part of Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne.

Although I would love the option to make all of those choices for my character I highly doubt such a thing is going to come, and since I do not want to keep my character in a pre-FE state then I must choose to either live with the choices or choose which of those default choices are most important. In the end, there are really only five choices that have any impact on the story going forward.
  • The choices that affect Koth's loyalty and, by extension, whether you forgive Koth in ET Ch 3 or not
  • The choice regarding Senya in ET Ch 1
  • The choice to romance one of the three or to resume an OC romance (very little impact on that part, so far)
  • Which side you are forced to pick on Iokath
  • A certain controversial choice at the end of the Nathema Fp

Those are the only choices that impact the story, which means that everything else can be headcanoned. For example, it is notated in their respective C&C files which one you chose between Jorgan and Kaliyo, but that choice makes no difference on the story going forward, is never mentioned again, and since the sole reference to it is on their C&C files it can be ignored and headcanoned.

The one choice that would force one to play a large portion of FE and ET is in regards to Vette and Torian. If one wished to resume the romance they would have to play several chapters of FE, and if one wanted to make the choice in ET Ch 8 they would have to play that far. If you are not romancing Vette or Torian then that choice in ET Ch 8 is rather irrelevant as neither plays a significant role in the story going forward (at least so far). Vette is completely absent whilst Torian has some lines on Mek-Sha (if with you) and is supposed to appear at the end of SoV for a brief exposition drop that is delivered by someone else if Torian is off reuniting with daddy (supposed because I did not get that appearance with a character that chose Torian, so my choice did not even matter).

I have a light-sided Sith that I am about to embark on my own choose-your-own-adventure. That character is not planned to romance Lana, so will skip most of Fallen Empire. I will play Eternal Throne Chapters 1-3 (starting Ch 4) so that I can choose with regards to Senya and Koth. Having them all present will allow me to headcanon the choices that character made throughout FE/ET as none of them will matter anyhow. I want that character to choose the Republic on Iokath, so will start Iokath. That choice should be locked in once that mission is completed as there is no way to reset it afterwards. Since the character is not romancing Lana and the choice at the end of Nathema is to forgive then I will skip ahead to JUS. If it all works then that light-sided Sith will have Senya, Arcann, and Koth, Vowrawn will be Emperor, and none of the rest of it will matter because it will never get mentioned again and the sole reference will be on some C&C files that I can ignore in favour of my headcanon.

Headcanon is best canon.
≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈
Just your average, opinionated, disabled, queer gaymer.

Nichos_Ketra
10.24.2021 , 02:02 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
Well, as I said, you may find it interesting.

Yes, a choose-your-own-adventure allowing us to pick everything that happens rather than default factional based choices a la the catch-up mechanic used in Mass Effect would be fabulous, but in the absence of such a system one must choose to either live with the default choices, keep their character in a pre-Fallen Empire limbo and never do any newer content with them, or decide which of the default choices matter more and make the choice to play part of Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne.

Although I would love the option to make all of those choices for my character I highly doubt such a thing is going to come, and since I do not want to keep my character in a pre-FE state then I must choose to either live with the choices or choose which of those default choices are most important. In the end, there are really only five choices that have any impact on the story going forward.
  • The choices that affect Koth's loyalty and, by extension, whether you forgive Koth in ET Ch 3 or not
  • The choice regarding Senya in ET Ch 1
  • The choice to romance one of the three or to resume an OC romance (very little impact on that part, so far)
  • Which side you are forced to pick on Iokath
  • A certain controversial choice at the end of the Nathema Fp

Those are the only choices that impact the story, which means that everything else can be headcanoned. For example, it is notated in their respective C&C files which one you chose between Jorgan and Kaliyo, but that choice makes no difference on the story going forward, is never mentioned again, and since the sole reference to it is on their C&C files it can be ignored and headcanoned.

The one choice that would force one to play a large portion of FE and ET is in regards to Vette and Torian. If one wished to resume the romance they would have to play several chapters of FE, and if one wanted to make the choice in ET Ch 8 they would have to play that far. If you are not romancing Vette or Torian then that choice in ET Ch 8 is rather irrelevant as neither plays a significant role in the story going forward (at least so far). Vette is completely absent whilst Torian has some lines on Mek-Sha (if with you) and is supposed to appear at the end of SoV for a brief exposition drop that is delivered by someone else if Torian is off reuniting with daddy (supposed because I did not get that appearance with a character that chose Torian, so my choice did not even matter).

I have a light-sided Sith that I am about to embark on my own choose-your-own-adventure. That character is not planned to romance Lana, so will skip most of Fallen Empire. I will play Eternal Throne Chapters 1-3 (starting Ch 4) so that I can choose with regards to Senya and Koth. Having them all present will allow me to headcanon the choices that character made throughout FE/ET as none of them will matter anyhow. I want that character to choose the Republic on Iokath, so will start Iokath. That choice should be locked in once that mission is completed as there is no way to reset it afterwards. Since the character is not romancing Lana and the choice at the end of Nathema is to forgive then I will skip ahead to JUS. If it all works then that light-sided Sith will have Senya, Arcann, and Koth, Vowrawn will be Emperor, and none of the rest of it will matter because it will never get mentioned again and the sole reference will be on some C&C files that I can ignore in favour of my headcanon.

Headcanon is best canon.
That's a really long post in response to me only saying I wish they'd let you pick broad lightside/darkside regardless of faction, not a "choose your own adventure" ME2/3 style thing. That's too much to ask for, even if I was agreeing with someone else that it'd be great if *possible*. I just wish they'd let us pick lightside/darkside flat across the board when using the skip option, regardless of faction, at least.

Also, you can keep headcanon, but it doesn't matter much if you have to face the consequences of the decisions you make (or the game makes for you) as you play later, since that's how this game is set up. Like something showing your lightside sith was an absolute monster until you get control of them, or you killed off or lost specific characters that you can't just imagine are still alive if the game recorded them as dead and keeps reminding you.

xordevoreaux
10.25.2021 , 05:35 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Nichos_Ketra View Post
This is exactly why I haven't been able to face bringing all my 57 characters up to KotFE/KotET or further..
For me it was the frustration of the walker missions, and chapter 4 of Kotfe is just too damn tedious. I understand the point of chapter four is to lay the groundwork for future plot points by apprising our hero on what's transpired for the five years they were on ice, but it's a slog. First time great, twentieth time, no so much.
About my SWTOR guilds
Check out my Sims4 mods on Nexus.

Ruvalie
10.25.2021 , 08:19 AM | #46
I'm late to this conversation, but it is pretty ridiculous that the auto choices are based on faction rather than alignment. They should at least let us pick between all light and all dark.