Emperor's Wrath vs. Darth Nox (spoilers)

JackNimbyl

I'd have to go with the Wrath. Depending on how the Wrath is played they're not just a blunt instrument; they're extremely savvy , smart and discerning and either calculating or diplomatic, depending on choices. They've also taken up numerous rituals/trainings throughout their quests to strengthen their powers and understanding of the Force, so they're not just out there slashing their way through life (there are a number of times the Wrath has the option to learn from those they meet). The Dread Masters want the Wrath, not Nox - and the Wrath is the one who draws attention from both the Emperor and Marr.

That's fair, but at the end of Imperial Belsavis, Inquisitor is the only class who can actually stand up to the Dread Masters. I actually haven't finished that quest chain on any of my characters, so I have no idea how it ends for the Wrath, but that does put a pretty strong point in the Inquisitor's favor.

As for the rest, I was not terribly impressed with my Warrior, but she was pure light side, which might not make the most sense for the story, there were other things distracting me (voice acting, trying to keep characterization consistent in a story meant for an evil Sithy Sith, finding all the best ways to talk back to Darth Baras), and all the hype about Warrior story might have poisoned my opinion of it, so it's entirely possible I just wasn't paying enough attention. It felt like I was just given a list of people to kill, and then didn't actually kill some of them because I was playing as the sloppiest hit man (Hit woman? Is that a thing?) ever, because that's how the Light Side rolls.

I'll also say that any strategic ability the Inquisitor has is not going to count for much in a straight-up brawl. My Occlus-Inquisitor usually avoided getting his hands dirty if it got him what he wanted more easily, and would probably at least be sufficiently worried about my Warrior to try not to fight her directly (Maybe pull a Draahg and rush her ship while she's out*).

I suppose Darth Baras' capabilities seem fairly consistent with those of a Sith Sorcerer player character. So do Darth Thanaton's, but the Inquisitor needed Force Walk to beat him. Overall, I'd be willing to call a 1v1, no-holds-barred fight a toss-up with a slight edge to the Warrior. And, much like the Consular vs. Warrior topic from a little while ago, any strategic advantage the Inquisitor has is negated by the Warrior's ability to chop through pretty much anything short of another overpowered Force user. And still, when you come down to it with the 1v1, the Warrior is probably more skilled and the Inquisitor probably has more raw voltage to throw around. The actual degree is pretty much up to interpretation, and might even be affected by advanced class (an Assassin might have more saber skills and less raw power compared to a Sorcerer, and a Juggernaut might be able to survive zappings a Marauder couldn't, while the Marauder might be better equipped to overwhelm the Inquisitor at close range).

*Something I only just realized which I'll give the Warrior story total credit for: Draahg gets tougher between the two times you fight him. The first time, he's just curbstomped your entire crew. The second time, they actually fought him off. That's a clever way of showing how they've improved, and much less clumsy than the obligatory "Hey you made me better at fighting" companion conversation (which the Warrior story has anyway, but every class does it, so I assume it was just a requirement).

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of hard for me to conclude either any player character is explicitly supposed to stronger than any other in the game, but I do think The Wrath's overall list of vanquished enemies is more impressive.

Plus, I personally enjoyed the Warrior story much more, partially because that was the only one of the two Sith Classes that I felt I was able to roleplay a Sith Lord the way that I wanted.

Edited by OldVengeance

I'm in Darth Imperius' camp, but do remember that the Wrath also takes out a Sith Lord on Nar Shaddaa.

And there again, Wrath kills a lord after years and years of training, whereas Nox killes a Darth and 2 lords anfer minimal, minimal training.

And correct me if I'm wrong, cos I haven't payed hawkeye attention to the SW storyline, but did the Wrath actually kill a darth before Baras?

And another thing, regarding the ''Wrath is best cos the emperor chose him'' thing:

After Scourge defected, I do believe that it would make sence for the Emperor to not want his right hand to be the most powerful being in the galaxy, cos now that he knows that his Wrath can defect, then why not just strike him down on the spot?

Edited by deltascorchfixer

It's kind of hard for me to conclude either any player character is explicitly supposed to stronger than any other in the game, but I do think The Wrath's overall list of vanquished enemies is more impressive.

Plus, I personally enjoyed the Warrior story much more, partially because that was the only one of the two Sith Classes that I felt I was able to roleplay a Sith Lord the way that I wanted.

Ok, so perhaps Wrath's kill list was more impressive, but Nox did kill powerfull sith with (again) little training, whilst Wrath did kill his share of enemies, after a good decade of training

Edited by deltascorchfixer

They both start the same, none of that starts until Korriban, the warrior doesn't even know the sith code before it and dialogue is specific that the warrior has been summoned to Korriban ahead of schedule/early, they've been handed everything on a silver platter and still defeat/kill their Overseer with very little training on Korriban, that's the first proper Sith the warrior kills (or can kill, defeats a better word since he can be spared).

Sith Inquisitor has to be tough and deadly from the moment they step off the shuttle, already knows the sith code while in starting area (dialogue), what inquisitor thinks it means to be sith (dialogue again), and has to contest with numerous other acolytes unlike the sith warrior so in this regard the most experienced in the prologue.. is the sith inquisitor.

The warrior's whole shtick is being able to easily brush aside every challenge they face as if its nothing, raw strength in the force, and entire story is about them getting stronger both in that raw strength of Force and in their skill using it and starting to creep towards their potential.

Inquisitor has a tougher job doing this when it comes to combat (story type not mobs) but also still is victorious, has fleets under her command eventually and reaches their potential and height of power in the final story boss fight.

The Inquisitor needs the help from the ghosts' powers to defeat Thanaton, can't do it without them. Becomes dark council member with an entire sector of the empire in their control. Properly trained since their master wants the body, and such the strength with it also.

The warrior is a one-person army and fights their master 1 on 1 with no extra help and destroys him, still not the strongest they'll be. Chosen by the Emperor , out of every Sith in the Empire, to be the Wrath and therefore has the job to be able to defeat anything that stands in their way. Not bad for a sith Lord that had masters not bothering to train them much at all, it's ever specifies that the Overseer hand picked rather easy trials, and Baras held back when training that apprentice. Warrior has a deck stacked against them and still knocks it over easily.

This is all before I get into the story expansions of Makeb and SoR. It is painfully obvious that the Emperor is impressed only with his Wrath, out of all the classes. The Wrath still needs to be the strongest combatant the Emperor can find, even if his last defected. This to me seems to be the entire reason why the Wrath is never brought anywhere near the Emperor except for Voss when that particular host / voice needs to die anyway. This is the insurance the Emperor took, the Wrath still needs to be able to defeat anything in their way.

To pitch one or the other in my opinion depends completely on the situation. A fight like that can be believable written with either being the victor, but from story perspective and the dialogue, fights and such shown and said.. the Wrath I believe has the upper hand.

Wrath is beating down powerful jedi masters, sith lords, darths and dark council members the entire way through their story and even at the end of it the Wrath surprises people they defeat, people that had no idea they were so strong. Tells me the Wrath still hasn't reached their potential skill and strength, but is getting stronger over those 3 in-game years every step of the way. The Inquisitor seems to stable out at the end of the class story, in strength, so long as they still have their ghosts.

Edited by Asmodesu

They both start the same, none of that starts until Korriban, the warrior doesn't even know the sith code before it and dialogue is specific that the warrior has been summoned to Korriban ahead of schedule/early, they've been handed everything on a silver platter and still defeat/kill their Overseer with very little training on Korriban, that's the first proper Sith the warrior kills (or can kill, defeats a better word since he can be spared).

Sith Inquisitor has to be tough and deadly from the moment they step off the shuttle, already knows the sith code while in starting area (dialogue), what inquisitor thinks it means to be sith (dialogue again), and has to contest with numerous other acolytes unlike the sith warrior so in this regard the most experienced in the prologue.. is the sith inquisitor.

The warrior's whole shtick is being able to easily brush aside every challenge they face as if its nothing, raw strength in the force, and entire story is about them getting stronger both in that raw strength of Force and in their skill using it and starting to creep towards their potential.

Inquisitor has a tougher job doing this when it comes to combat (story type not mobs) but also still is victorious, has fleets under her command eventually and reaches their potential and height of power in the final story boss fight.

The Inquisitor needs the help from the ghosts' powers to defeat Thanaton, can't do it without them. Becomes dark council member with an entire sector of the empire in their control. Properly trained since their master wants the body, and such the strength with it also.

The warrior is a one-person army and fights their master 1 on 1 with no extra help and destroys him, still not the strongest they'll be. Chosen by the Emperor , out of every Sith in the Empire, to be the Wrath and therefore has the job to be able to defeat anything that stands in their way. Not bad for a sith Lord that had masters not bothering to train them much at all, it's ever specifies that the Overseer hand picked rather easy trials, and Baras held back when training that apprentice. Warrior has a deck stacked against them and still knocks it over easily.

This is all before I get into the story expansions of Makeb and SoR. It is painfully obvious that the Emperor is impressed only with his Wrath, out of all the classes. The Wrath still needs to be the strongest combatant the Emperor can find, even if his last defected. This to me seems to be the entire reason why the Wrath is never brought anywhere near the Emperor except for Voss when that particular host / voice needs to die anyway. This is the insurance the Emperor took, the Wrath still needs to be able to defeat anything in their way.

To pitch one or the other in my opinion depends completely on the situation. A fight like that can be believable written with either being the victor, but from story perspective and the dialogue, fights and such shown and said.. the Wrath I believe has the upper hand.

Wrath is beating down powerful jedi masters, sith lords, darths and dark council members the entire way through their story and even at the end of it the Wrath surprises people they defeat, people that had no idea they were so strong. Tells me the Wrath still hasn't reached their potential skill and strength, but is getting stronger over those 3 in-game years every step of the way. The Inquisitor seems to stable out at the end of the class story, in strength, so long as they still have their ghosts.

o.O

They start the same?!?

The SW has just been training for years on some academy, and the SI has been a slave, who for all we know has spent his life hitting rocks w a pickaxe!

and the fact that Wrath had the ''deck stacked against him''... seriously?

He was sent ahead to the academy before all of the other acolytes, so that he'd have a shot at becomeing Baras' apprentice, and he gets his own PERSONAL Overseer, who's 1 goal is to help him along w his studies, whilst Nox has an overseer who's responsible 4 what? a dozen acolytes? AND is trying his very best to make sure that Nox fails.

And ur saying that Nox can't do anythong w-out his ghosts?

Wrath would be rotting on quesh if it wasn't for the emperor's servants

and I know, nox does rely on his ghosts, but if any deck is stacked against anyone, it's Nox, not Wrath.

And did Wrath swat away Force lightning with his bare hands? :cool:

Something to keep in mind with Nox and the ghosts, he/she only summons their power in the final battle at the very end when Thanaton unleashes his monster storm, which is a demonstration of power far beyond what Baras demonstrates. Heck, Baras actually runs dry just on that, whereas Thanaton gits brutally beaten into submission. if I was the warrior I'd almost feel cheated...

Up to that point, no ghosts. Also no ghosts when Nox drives back Thanaton on Corellia and forces him to flee. Nox was very nearly strong enough to defeat Thanaton alone, except Thanaton knew far more powerful rituals courtesy of his position and age.

Thanthon was an very powerful sith even when he was the age of the SI he only got more powerful with time so no wonder the SI needed the ghosts he lacked about 20 more years of improving his power to defeated him.

So not really and argument about defeating him with ghosts considering the power of the opponent.

Something to keep in mind with Nox and the ghosts, he/she only summons their power in the final battle at the very end when Thanaton unleashes his monster storm, which is a demonstration of power far beyond what Baras demonstrates. Heck, Baras actually runs dry just on that, whereas Thanaton gits brutally beaten into submission. if I was the warrior I'd almost feel cheated...

Up to that point, no ghosts. Also no ghosts when Nox drives back Thanaton on Corellia and forces him to flee. Nox was very nearly strong enough to defeat Thanaton alone, except Thanaton knew far more powerful rituals courtesy of his position and age.

I agree with you, though with the clarification that I think that Thanaton's ultimate lightning attack has some sort of heavy cost associated with it, like the life-draining of the Barsen'thor's shielding technique. Otherwise, Thanaton would have used it on Corellia, since fleeing the scene of the duel put him in an awful position politically; somehow, using said ultimate lightning attack would be worse than just begging the Dark Council to nullify the Kaggath.

I agree with you, though with the clarification that I think that Thanaton's ultimate lightning attack has some sort of heavy cost associated with it, like the life-draining of the Barsen'thor's shielding technique. Otherwise, Thanaton would have used it on Corellia, since fleeing the scene of the duel put him in an awful position politically; somehow, using said ultimate lightning attack would be worse than just begging the Dark Council to nullify the Kaggath.

I agree, it was clearly a last ditch effort, throwing everything he had into it.

Had it been a movie we'd probably have seen his skin shrivel up before our eyes.

Thanthon was an very powerful sith even when he was the age of the SI he only got more powerful with time so no wonder the SI needed the ghosts he lacked about 20 more years of improving his power to defeated him.

So not really and argument about defeating him with ghosts considering the power of the opponent.

The Wrath didn't need any outside help and all of the Dark Council is fodder to him, hence he is more powerful than Nox.

The Warrior may be anything but if there is one thing he specializes in, it is being better in combat than other force users. That's the nature of his job.

Edited by Kaedusz

Darth Nox? They named my inquisitor Darth Occlus as I recall, and it kinda made me go "So, wait, I'm Darth Eyeball? Bahahahahaha". This is the first I've heard of a Darth Nox.

I wonder if my inquisitor being an assassin...affected that? I'll have to get my sorc to 50 and see, perhaps.

That's Interesting was your alignment neutral?

• 2 weeks later...
The Wrath didn't need any outside help and all of the Dark Council is fodder to him, hence he is more powerful than Nox.

The Warrior may be anything but if there is one thing he specializes in, it is being better in combat than other force users. That's the nature of his job.

Dude, just cos it's his job doesn't mean that that's true. Wrath vs the whole Dark Council is hardly a battle. Wrath would lose

Darth Marr would just ***** slap the crap out of the Warrior while Darth Nox laughs.

Darth Imperious will try to help you.

and

Darth Occlus just can't be assed to do anything.

o.O

They start the same?!?

The SW has just been training for years on some academy, and the SI has been a slave, who for all we know has spent his life hitting rocks w a pickaxe!

He was sent ahead to the academy before all of the other acolytes, so that he'd have a shot at becomeing Baras' apprentice, and he gets his own PERSONAL Overseer, who's 1 goal is to help him along w his studies, whilst Nox has an overseer who's responsible 4 what? a dozen acolytes? AND is trying his very best to make sure that Nox fails.

and I know, nox does rely on his ghosts, but if any deck is stacked against anyone, it's Nox, not Wrath.

The Wrath couldn't have been trained that much before going to the Sith Academy. They didn't even know the Sith Code when they got there. Both the Warrior and Inquisitor are only learning Sith basics and fundamentals on Korriban.

When the Warrior was brought in to Korriban ahead of schedule and given those perks by Tremmel, Baras became more likely to look down on him because of that. But the Warrior overcame Baras' preconceptions because he was the strongest acolyte.

Also,

The Hand were not the reason that the Sith Warrior escaped Baras trap on Quesh. Servant One specifically ordered that no help in order for them to be sure that the Warrior was worthy of being the Wrath.

They survived that on their own.

o.O

They start the same?!?

A couple things with this:

1) Yes, they start even. There is no indiciation the Warrior had prior training before Korriban. If you can cite where it says this, I'll bite, but until then it doesn't hold up.

2)

As someone mentioned before, the Hand didn't help the Wrath survive on quesh. They specifically say in the convo that they had to make sure he's worthy

3) The Wrath 100% had the deck stacked against him. He was dealing with an incredibly cunning Sith Lord who controlled the might of the Imperial military (Baras replaced Vengean as head of Military Offense).

4) The Wrath has just more accomplishments to his name:

-He's killed 2 Dark Council members (Vengean and Baras), one while he was still a Lord.

-Responsible for the murder of the Republic War Trust, four of the Republic's best generals.

-He's defeated at least four Jedi Masters (Nomen Karr, Wyellet, Yonlach, Baras' spy on Corellia)

-Defeated the Emperor's Voice, enhanced and possessed by the Dark Side avatar Sel-Makor on Voss

-Killed his Overseer as an acolyte

-Killed Lord Draahg (aka original Grievous with his ****** cybernetic enhancements xD) on Corellia, saving Darth Vowrann's life

-Converted a particularly powerful Jedi padawan (who could read the Force balance of others) to the Dark Side

-Did all that without Force ghosts

The SI just doesn't stack up as well.

Now, I'll try to sink my teeth in this touchy subject. I'll take both gameplay and lore into account to back my statements. I'll also consider the Warrior to be both Juggernaut and Marauder, while the Inquisitor is both a Sorcerer and an Assassin.

Oh, and I have my own thought about them being immortal (I think they are not), but that's beside the point. Even if one can't be killed, he can be defeated.

Lore wise, from what I can recall, I think Wrath is more powerful... as in "more powerfull in the Force" : Baras did comment about the wonderful strength that lies within. The very fact that the Warrior did benefit from training before entering the Academy and having his personnal instructor, while the Inquisitor started as a slave, a nobody in the middle of a group of would be Siths, doesn't really tells us that Nox has more merits... it tells us that the Warrior was initially more valuable and was treated as such. That being said, strength in the Force doesn't equal in winning. Plus, maybe Wrath is more powerful than Nox to begin with... but Nox found a way to augment his own power, by binding ghosts. Theorically speaking, one could say that his power is limitless : he simply need to bind more ghosts to become more powerful. This is, of course, debatable, since doing so puts him at risk both physically and mentally, which is a huge hindrance compared to innate power. Even then, measuring power scales isn't really feasible and we can assume that they have comparable power in the end.

But here, we're talking about raw power.

Wrath is mainly a swordplayer, I'm not saying that's all he can do, I'm saying that's what he MAINLY do. Even taking the Assassin trees into account, the amount of swordplay skills makes Nox subpar in the area. If we're talking about a pure lightsaber duel, Wrath would obviously win. Now, we will take Force disciplines into account. Wrath is a Marauder and Juggernaut, fueled by rage. This means he could tank lightnings and gain more strength from the pain. His powers turns him into a one man army, an unstoppable force. But, said powers seems to be instinctive and unrefined : he uses telekinesis, negative blasts and physical enhancements. This is not something to be laughed at : Wrath is very much a force of nature. His very title embodies the "primal" aspect of his character.

On the other hand, Nox's powers are highly refined : besides the obvious lightnings (which are primal darkside bursts), he can siphon life and alter minds (Madness tree), refine lighnings (lighning tree) and restore failing bodies (corruption tree), create illusions (Concealment tree), and protect himself (shields and tank tree). Nox is a scholar, making his mastery over the Force higher. The bound Force Ghosts extend his knowledge too, making him even more fearsome in this regard : he has access not only to Sith knowledge, but also to Jedi and Voss knowledge, making him maybe more knowledgeable than even the Emperor (highly debatable). This mastery is an obvious edge, making the Inquisitor highly adaptable.

Now, if we sum it up :

- In term of raw power, Wrath is more powerful initially, but the addition of Force Ghosts even the odds.

- In an unpreppared fight, I think Wrath would have the upper hand. He is, after all, the Emperor's executionner : a powerful being, a fighting machine, tough and higly durable. He would certainly overwhelm Nox with his superior fighting skills while tanking most of what the Inquisitor could throw at him. Even then, the adaptability of Nox would make such a fight really hard for the Warrior to overcome. His story is about being the strongest and proving it time and time again.

- In a prepared fight, I would place my bets on Darth Nox : Nox is more knowledgeable and has a deeper understanding over the Force. His story is about coming from nothing - a slave - and overcoming the odds (hostile teachers, hostile mentor, hostile Council member, hostile Ghosts poisoning him) with research, mastery over the Force and careful planing.

All in all, I think Darth Nox, while not being more powerful per say is the most dangerous of the two.

Yes with prep Darth Nox can beat the Wrath even if both can have prep time. The Wrath never plans or strategise in any competent manner.

Lets take his only event when he planned and strategised. He had to go in an base with thousands of republic troops to eliminate the war trust generals. His plan was assault the base with his crew one side attacks there and another side there. This is with 5 people against thousands of republic troops lead by the best generals the Republic had to offer. The result he won how he did it is one of the mysteries that will boggle any competent tactician and strategist ever.

So with prep time Darth Nox can find ways to beat the Wrath because he will not engage in any tactic or strategy he will just attack you no mind games no hidden traps no nothing he will just go at you with everything he has and you can stop him him by traps, illusions and bombs the question is will this be with prep or not?

That wasn't five against thousands, that was the Wrath and his or her crew at the head of the outnumbered Imperial troops on Taris attacking a Republic base. He won a battle while outnumbered roughly 8 to 1. Shouldn't that be a sign of how effective he was at planning? When did the Sith Inquisitor accomplish such a feat with planning? Edited by OldVengeance

That wasn't five against thousands, that was the Wrath and his or her crew at the head of the outnumbered Imperial troops on Taris attacking a Republic base. He won a battle while outnumbered roughly 8 to 1. Shouldn't that be a sign of how effective he was at planning? When did the Sith Inquisitor accomplish such a feat with planning?

Well ... the Inquisitor did get that Imp guy the Silencer ... though thinking back on it, the Warrior did more for the Empire, in terms of achievements.

:csw_destroyer: + :wea_09: = :sul_angel:

Edited by Paulsutherland

That wasn't five against thousands, that was the Wrath and his or her crew at the head of the outnumbered Imperial troops on Taris attacking a Republic base. He won a battle while outnumbered roughly 8 to 1. Shouldn't that be a sign of how effective he was at planning? When did the Sith Inquisitor accomplish such a feat with planning?

Since when is assaulting an highly fortified base lead by the bets generals of the Republic that has more troops then you by by about 8 times is an good strategy.

The fact that it was successful is mind boggling. That was the plan and it worked. I will be fair here will such an tactic really work if he did not had deux ex help?

But for the above yeah the wrath really did more for the empire then actually all the other classes of the empire and far more then Darth Nox who I will be fair did the less actually he did more damage to the empire then the Republic. Not to say that the Wrath was an saint after all he massacred the entire power base of an Dark Council member on the other hand he did not lose an good chunk of his power base doing that just him and another sith lord and both survived. But besides that ****** event he mostly just crippled the Republic I mean crippled he killed their best generals jedi and not and that was before book 3.

Wrath didn't exactly plan the attack, he just attacked, proving his superior might again.

In the end, he is a tool, a weapon... His story isn't about rise to power, it's about proving his strength to the hierarchy who, in turn, rise him to power. His title isn't that of a leader... sure, this gives him superior authority, but he is an extansion of the Emperor's will.

Nox, on the other end, don't obey. At first he is an apprentice and, as such, follow orders. But he quickly spiral out of the hierarchy, defy authority and builds his own path to greatness. It's the story of a slave, the lowest of the lowest, who becomes one of the most prominent leaders of the Empire.

Wrath is the strongest, but that's exactly why Nox would win in thie end : that's what he does, overcoming opposition, not matter the difficulty, through whatever is needed.

I do not think you get it Nox never managed anything on his own even his victory against Thanathon who by the way is him just older and without ghosts was done with help you know the ghosts. His victory against his former master was done because of an ancient beast taking the hit in his place.

The Wrath on the other hand defeated his enemy who by the way according to Vrowonan was nearly invincible. Why because he absorbed tons of power from an sith entity. He fought that nearly invincible being until all that power was gone. That is impressive.

In 1 vs 1 against an being that can literally outlast you can Nox have any chance? The Wrath will fight with Nox until he exhausts the power of the ghosts the will kill him.

With help allowed yes Nox will beat Wrath but only help because Wrath has little to no help.