Dark or Light Side

ostatnipawian

Welcome,

Is there any point in playing a Jedi or a Sith on opposite sides of the force?

I've always wanted to play as a Dark / Gray Jedi, but I have a lot of contraindications.

Is this experience not a problem in the future? Is it harder to find equipment? Is there still a division into Light and Dark? I came back after many years, hence I would like to know if such antics have the right to exist.

Every tip is valuable to me. Thank you!

Yes, you can still play as a Dark Jedi or Light Sith, you just have to set the slider (in the bottom right corner, I believe) to your chosen alignement and make appropriate choices.

Equipment isn't alignment-locked anymore, so as long as your class can equip it, you can use it.

The overall storyline remains the same, but some NPC interactions and missions differ based on your alignment.

A Light Jedi Knight on Taris is sent to protect a group of settlers while a Dark Jedi Knight instead gets a mission to reclaim artifacts of a Jedi splinter group from smugglers, for an example

And, if that's your thing, it makes it easier to romance certain characters (a Dark Jedi Knight and Lord Scourge or a Light Sith Inquisitor and Ashara, for examples).

Of note as well is the recent announcement regarding the seperation of Classes and Advanced Classes instead into 'Origins' and 'Play Styles' coming later in the year; Light Sith and Dark Jedi (among other options) will no longer be purely a role-playing matter with Jedi being able to use the traditionally Sith play styles as they fall into the Dark Side and Sith having access to Jedi abilities when they follow the Light.

Want your Dark Jedi to throw Force Lighting around instead of being a 'Focus Guardian'? That time will soon be upon us...

Edited by turbomagnus

Is it harder to find equipment? Is there still a division into Light and Dark? I came back after many years, hence I would like to know if such antics have the right to exist.

Equipment-wise there's very little difference. There are some old weapons and armor that require Dark V or Light V, but none of the newer stuff does.