How does gearing currently work and what gear requirements for raiding

Dragonexadon

I was asking a question in SWTOR discord about the gear requirements were to start a Story Mode EV. It has been some time since I played and thought it would be fun to go back to some of the classic operations. The answer I got back from said discord was

"Usually the game itself scales the enemies according to what the parties average Gear Rating is"

This was not the way the game worked previously and I was surprised about this change. I attempted to find more information about this but could not, could someone point me in the right direction?

What aspects of the game, if any, scale enemies based on the average gear of members? Do operations still have a gear check (min gear score)? If so, what is that check for story, normal, and nightmare mode?

Thank you.

"Usually the game itself scales the enemies according to what the parties average Gear Rating is"

That is completely wrong.

The only place the enemy level will change according to the players level (level, not gear rating) is the rakghoul tunnels.

Players will either be bolstered to level 70 (veteran flashpoints when under level 70) or level synced (basically lowers mastery/endurance/health/power to a predeterrmined number) to either the planet level, or level 70 (most legacy pve group content is now level 70). The higher your gear level, the higher those predetermined numbers are. Level syncing the majority of the endgame content was done when 6.0 came out, which was a very baffling, and annoying, thing to do. Google it if you want to.

This is a good starting point for endgame gearing:

https://swtorista.com/articles/how-to-gear-up-at-level-75

For the harder endgame content I suggest getting to 306 gear level, or near that, and to have decent stats. A good player can do fine without the higher gear levels, but it makes things easier overall if you have decent gear.

The simplest way to get to basic 306 gear is to spam VETERAN flashpoints. I suggest getting a tactical asap, it really improves performance. With basic 306 gear, reasonable stats, and a decent tactical you'll be good for most endgame content. Set Bonus gear, augments and all that fiddling for perfect stats can be done at your own pace.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have done Nightmares back in the day and I currently have full 306. But when I heard that reply on discord...I was surprised. Glad I was correct in thinking that there are still gear requirements for these things (for the most part)

Thank you for your time and for the link.

level synced (basically lowers mastery/endurance/health/power to a predeterrmined number)

It *lowers* Endurance, Mastery, Health, and it *sets* Power. If you are on Zakuul and you are above level 70, your Power is 3929 no matter what you are wearing or not wearing. If you are in a synced-to-70 flashpoint, your Power is something else (3100 plus change in [sOLO] Nathema Conspiracy, for example).