Insane stuttering on good PC

ffrozenheart

Hey folks, new player here. Is that me or FPS stuttering in this game is absurd. It's mostly ok when no ones around and game runs 100+ FPS on ultra settings. But on locations where > 5 players or bunch of NPC's - stuttering becomes insane when I turn camera or moving around. Also it doesn't metter which graphics settings are. It SAME lags on lowest and ultra. CPU and GPU are cold as ice so issue cant be in overheating. The warzones just unplayable! I get non stopping stutterings and 40 fps at best there

I can run RDR2 on ultra in 1080p with 60+ fps. Stable. Without any lags. Yet this game stuttering as hell

My spec: RTX 2060super

Core I5-9600K (overclocked to 5 GHz) //Tried with stock frequency (4.3 GHz) and issue still the same

16GB RAM 3200 Mhz

Game runs on HDD (7200 RPM)

Here is a screenshot https://imgur.com/ormz4ss which shows the frametime. Every spike is a little stutter and you can see them a lot. Screenshot was made on fleet where many players do their things. And here is a screenshot https://imgur.com/5In1OE7 on Tatooine where only npc's were. Yet if I turning my camera or just moving fastly - stutters appears even there.

I read about nameplate scaling option and it mostly did the trick but it didn't fixed problem completely there still stuttering left MUCH better then before but still it present. But now UI is so big that i cant see a damn thing on my screen. Any advices?

Edited by ffrozenheart

But on locations where < 5 players
I think you meant > 5 players (as in more than).

Your specs are fine so you wouldn't need to reduce anything. I do remember that in PvP there were performance issues and I don't remember them saying those were resolved. And yes the game still stutters in some areas like the fleet and poorly optimized areas all over the place. Particularly when there are a lot of people in the same instance.

I also still get the occasional stutter, however, I don't have it nearly as bad as you seem to have it. I did have some issues a few years ago but it was due to packet loss and that's down to my IP. Maybe that's worth checking.

I think you meant > 5 players (as in more than).

Your specs are fine so you wouldn't need to reduce anything. I do remember that in PvP there were performance issues and I don't remember them saying those were resolved. And yes the game still stutters in some areas like the fleet and poorly optimized areas all over the place. Particularly when there are a lot of people in the same instance.

I also still get the occasional stutter, however, I don't have it nearly as bad as you seem to have it. I did have some issues a few years ago but it was due to packet loss and that's down to my IP. Maybe that's worth checking.

Indeed there a typo with symbols :) Thx for noticing

As for internet connection - it's ok. 100Mbps is more then enough for this game

Edited by ffrozenheart

Indeed there a typo with symbols :) Thx for noticing

As for internet connection - it's ok. 100Mbps is more then enough for this game

I don't mean your internet connection but the path your Internet Provider follows to get from your PC to the SWTOR servers. That's where packet loss occurs.

Look at this article and go to the section end-to-end connection. If you have an issue there though, there's nothing BioWare can do about that. It's up to your IP.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic

Edit: This is something you should check if you get lag or connection issues, but it's worth checking it out even if just to exclude it.

Edited by Tsillah

Old BioWare games have never been able to handle more than a few player characters clustered together (see NWN1). Before NWN1, BW had never made an MP game -- only SP. I'm guessing it's something to do with P2P networking. It's like they're using some ancient GameSpy code. It's also probably why there's desync. If I'm not the one lagging, why do I see the desync? Put the desync on the individual client. Because currently, it's like we're sharing lag.

I'm sure I'm wrong in some way(s), but that's my theory based on anecdote, heh.

tl;dr - more players in small area = bad FPS because bad/ancient code (...?)

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Ohhhhh, I just re-read this part. This HDD is likely your problem.

See: https://www.swtor.com/community/archive/index.php/t-154568.html

Your DiskCacheArena file is constantly read/write. Thus you are hindered by your slow HD. With SSD's, it became a non-issue. Try using a RAMdrive + junction for this file if you are unable to install your OS and SWTOR on a SSD.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Your DiskCacheArena file is constantly read/write. Thus you are hindered by your slow HD. With SSD's, it became a non-issue. Try using a RAMdrive + junction for this file if you are unable to install your OS and SWTOR on a SSD.

Just moved game to my SSD (M2 Nvme) and it didn't work out. No any improvement. Well it seems just an old engine which barely works and nothing can be handled about it.

It's not just you OP, I think most people suffer with bad frame rates and micro stutter in this game. I've questioned it myself in the recent past because when I came back to the game I started playing a lot of PVP and I found it's was next to impossible to actually get good because in warzones my frames drop to about 11-14 during big fights. And when you suddenly drop from 60 to 11 frames in the matter of a second you really notice that jump.

I'm told it's because this engine doesn't make use of all the cores in modern pc's and it basically bottlenecks your entire system. It's because of this I've decided to just play PVP for the season points only and just stick to story mode and flashpoints.

Then add all the silly over the top CC this game uses and it's like another level of frustration on top of everything.

Edited by Neo_Psy

Hey folks, new player here. Is that me or FPS stuttering in this game is absurd. It's mostly ok when no ones around and game runs 100+ FPS on ultra settings. But on locations where > 5 players or bunch of NPC's - stuttering becomes insane when I turn camera or moving around. Also it doesn't metter which graphics settings are. It SAME lags on lowest and ultra. CPU and GPU are cold as ice so issue cant be in overheating. The warzones just unplayable! I get non stopping stutterings and 40 fps at best there

I can run RDR2 on ultra in 1080p with 60+ fps. Stable. Without any lags. Yet this game stuttering as hell

Core I5-9600K (overclocked to 5 GHz) //Tried with stock frequency (4.3 GHz) and issue still the same

16GB RAM 3200 Mhz

Here is a screenshot https://imgur.com/ormz4ss which shows the frametime. Every spike is a little stutter and you can see them a lot. Screenshot was made on fleet where many players do their things. And here is a screenshot https://imgur.com/5In1OE7 on Tatooine where only npc's were. Yet if I turning my camera or just moving fastly - stutters appears even there.

I read about nameplate scaling option and it mostly did the trick but it didn't fixed problem completely there still stuttering left MUCH better then before but still it present. But now UI is so big that i cant see a damn thing on my screen. Any advices?

This is why you should stick with old hardware nowadays. I have a decade old computer and works fine.

The New isnt always The Good,

Return your overpriced GPU and CPU to your store and get a 3-4 years old card something like GTX 970 or GTX 1060 and see it yourself, game will work fine.

Don't jump into hypewagon every year of getting a new hardware or you will get strange issues like this.

This is why you should stick with old hardware nowadays. I have a decade old computer and works fine.

Well it may be the case.. I guess. Definitely will not sell my spec but I can run games from 90s on that hardware just fine. SWTOR not so ancient

Edited by ffrozenheart

16GB RAM 3200 Mhz

Old game engine, nothing gonna help You. Saying this as 8 years player with 2 changes of whole PC, that did all tricks from swtor.com/reddit during these years. Just learn to play with stutter or forget it. SSD will improve loading time only, but forget about stable 60 fps on heavy PvP battle.,

Edited by tummiswtor

Try turning off shadows. If that helps slowly add back levels of shadow until the frame starts to dip again.

I was getting bad stutters at first but now I stay over 100 even in pvp with everything maxed out except advanced shadows is turned off and the shadow cascade dialed halfway down. I can’t tell much difference in the way the game looks but it’s much smoother.

Return your overpriced GPU and CPU to your store and get a 3-4 years old card something like GTX 970 or GTX 1060 and see it yourself, game will work fine.

Don't jump into hypewagon every year of getting a new hardware or you will get strange issues like this.

So he should abandon his current good setup for something a decade old for the possible (note possible) benefit that SWTOR (a single game) might (again might) run better?

Here is how I fixed stuttering, not low fps, for me:

Turned off enhanced shadows, turned down the shadow quality slider.

Turned off Vsync

Restarted the game

Turned back on all the shadow options

Suspect it was Vsync that solved it

I had stuttering really bad as well and I have an RTX3080.

Also try window mode but I don't think I have left that on.

Edited by Carlitoboss

Turned off Vsync

Restarted the game

if you want to use vsync with the nvidia card , in the nvidia control panel go to the swtor profile and change vsynch from using " on " to " fast " , the tooltip for " on " says it may cause stuttering ....

Edited by OwenBrooks

• 11 months later...

Turned off Vsync

Restarted the game

This worked great for my machine. It was the v-synch. Thank you.

Exactly same issue with new gen 12 cpu and rtx3070 , it was like seeing pictures of the game, happened in wz.

For some reason I found out it was vsync. Turn it off from game and turn it on the nvidia panel, as the other guys mentioned.

Hopefully devs take notice at least to warn new players.

Edited by Giberelina