Wait? Moddable gear being phased out in 7.0?

EllieAnne

Just saw the new video from SWTORista.

A lot of good information but most surprising is the highest gear wont be moddable

@ 6:15

Is there confirmation or denial of this?

Is this a continuation of the middle finger BW gives to crafters?

How does this work considering (at the beginning) only OPs runners will get the top gear?

Will mod recipes eventually come out so I can make my moddable gear on par with level 80 gear?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be wrong, but it's my understanding that moddable gear will appear at lower tiers as time goes on, it's just not introduced upon 7.0's release.

Have they said that moddable gear will appear from other sources later on?

All i remember was them saying that gear from most sources will be able to be upgraded further in later patches, but they havent given more details which could mean OPS gear remains the only moddable one.

Unless they are going the FF14 path where raid has the best gear on the first patch and then everyone else catches up on the next patch.

Have they said that moddable gear will appear from other sources later on?

All i remember was them saying that gear from most sources will be able to be upgraded further in later patches, but they havent given more details which could mean OPS gear remains the only moddable one.

Unless they are going the FF14 path where raid has the best gear on the first patch and then everyone else catches up on the next patch.

I may be mis-remembering but that's what I processed hearing from my guildies.

Is modding starting at 334? I think 330 makes more sense based on their announcements. They've said conquest, flashpoints, and warzones will have their caps raised to 330 or higher "in a future patch". This would unlock modding for players of those modes whenever they get an armor piece 330 or higher. It's just at launch all of those modes have caps that are lower than 330, so players can't get high enough rating from those activities yet.

Is modding starting at 334? I think 330 makes more sense based on their announcements. They've said conquest, flashpoints, and warzones will have their caps raised to 330 or higher "in a future patch". This would unlock modding for players of those modes whenever they get an armor piece 330 or higher. It's just at launch all of those modes have caps that are lower than 330, so players can't get high enough rating from those activities yet.

I dont believe it is likely that gear that is upgraded to 334 suddenly becomes moddoable.

Based on the information we have, we get non moddable gear from multiple sources and upgrade said non moddable gear, the system for it is quite easy and simple, all they have to do is upgrade your piece to a higher ilvl, same stats, same everything but higher gear rating.

Changing that to after a point changing to moddable sounds like something that would require a lot of work and would cause a number of problems.

But the question stands, after 7.0, if everyone gets to be on the same level as 334 OPS gear, will we have moddable options or is moddable gear gonna be OPS only so they can treat raiders as special? Because upgrading to 334 could just mean the non moddable gear rating is 334 and based on their current design direction, which I find wrong, everyone else bar ops players gets non moddable gear.

Or will we realize life's just grand in 7.0 without moddable gear and we wind up not caring?

As long as the non moddable gear has the same amount of stats and there is enough diversity so i can stack my stats of choice I am gucci

Though I hope they dont do the same thing as current implants where for some reason many types of the same implant exist that have varying amounts of stamina, of course as a dps i am gonna choose the one with most damage stats and least stamina. I want options with different tertiaries but not stamina yikes

Well, the one thing I don't understand quite yet is exactly how, and which type, of gear is upgradeable, and if unmoddable gear is upgradeable to the same extent the 334 moddable gear will be. It definitely matters for Augmenting gear, which I presume will still be with existing grade 11 augments since crafting isn't coming yet. It also matters to balance critical rating vs mastery (though I presume the DR point will be much much higher than it is currently), and more importantly critical vs alacrity/accuracy, both of which look to be around 2058 and 2693, respectively, for most classes. I guess since we all have Outfit Designer and set boni are going onto Implants that lessens the need for the moddable gear somewhat. But we will need to have some flexibility in the stats of the loot drops so that we can reach our target alacrity of 2058 and target accuracy of 2693.

The way to think about this philosophy has been around for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

An apt phrase, often attributed to Marie Antoinette, applies here in terms of ' Qu'ils mangent de la brioche ' or 'let them eat cake'.

As someone who has been capable of getting the top gear for the last 20-25 years in an assortment of games, I do not agree with this ideology, and believe the current 306 system with skill being required, not gear, to accomplish tasks. I forsee a morlock and eloi situation, where-in by the third tier of this expansion players who return and have skill, but not the gear, will be forced to waste months before they can raid (unless their friends carry them of course, which is the same as a salerun) and probably wont return. So my biggest concern with this system, apart from the toxicity of seeing 'LF3M R-4 8SM, 330 or higher plz' for a raid dropping 328 gear or the drama of 'sorry ur noob ur gs is too low' being everywhere, is that people will not choose to return, causing a dwindling supply of players near the end of the expansion and make the game feel deserted.

Still, maybe bioware know something has changed in the last 15 years that wont cause this to happen?

'Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it'

Still, maybe bioware know something has changed in the last 15 years that wont cause this to happen?

'Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it'

That is what is the most baffling, why did they suddenly decide to go back to an outdated system of "Everyone else should have inferior gear so raiders can feel special"

Like, WoW has tried over the years to get casuals into high end raiding, they dont, they just remain casual or leave. More importantly due to Swtor's clearly limited budget the game can never compete for the high end endgame raiding crowd because content is released far too slowly compared to games like FF14/WoW where they get a new raid semi frequently.

You are not gonna attract these people from other games and you are not gonna turn the casual solo player into a social raider either so what is the reason for this change??

I honestly hope it isnt some bs idea brought on by EA corporate because they showed WoW stats and though if Swtor copied WoW it would be more successful, hell WoW has been dying because it treats casuals like 4th class citizens and the only reason it is still extremely profitable is the wow token to gold to boosts system, which bioware doesnt have unless they plan to introduce a way to buy sub with credits and the other way around with real life money.

So much for play how you want to play. We want you to play this 1 way. Oh, it sucks too. Operations take way too long, You cant keep people focused. There is not enough reward for the amount of time and effort it takes.

Side note, So I guess All my armor sets I have with 306 gear for all my classes will no longer be any good after 7.0? Meaning I would be simply getting new Mods but I must earn new armor sets again? I'm pretty sure I'll be done.

Side note, So I guess All my armor sets I have with 306 gear for all my classes will no longer be any good after 7.0? Meaning I would be simply getting new Mods but I must earn new armor sets again? I'm pretty sure I'll be done.

For solo content it will be good enough (or as bad as any other gear, depending on how bad the changes to level synch are going to be). The only place where you'll notice any difference will probably be the new daily.

So much for play how you want to play. We want you to play this 1 way. Oh, it sucks too. Operations take way too long, You cant keep people focused. There is not enough reward for the amount of time and effort it takes.

A decent group can knock out EV SM in 30 minutes. (Think I did one in 23 one time) Some FPs can take that long.

But you make an excellent point. SWTOR was NEVER an "end game raiding game", and NOW they're trying to push people into that content?

If the Devs are going to follow the WoW (failed) paradigm, better enact ye ol Credits for sub token. It'll buy you some time insofar as survivability, AND, people can buy and sell the thing using RL money AND to use for carries!

Everyone's a winner! (Except for your sub count, but who cares about that? Right?)

Another question is what play style will the unmoddable gear be made for? Can I stack alacrity and/or crit for my healers? Will I be forced to stack power and mastery which is worthless since it is hard-capped everywhere?

SWTORISTA's video at the end seems to imply we are expected to use existing grade 11 augments to reach the alacrity/critical/accuracy targets if the unmoddable gear drops do not hit the targets we desire:

1.3s GCD / 15.39% alacrity percentage: 5431

1.4s GCD / 07.14% alacrity percentage: 2052

9% accuracy percentage: 2692

559 and 3209 Alacrity Rating for lightning sorcerers/telekinetic sages. 1195 and 4021 for Carnage/Arsenal.

Additionally, based on the vendors that, of course, won't exist on LIVE but do exist on PTS, there are critical, accuracy, and alacrity versions of the "Legendary" implants that are going to contain the new "set bonuses." Of course, once you start upgrading an implant, you will be much less motivated to swap it for a different tertiary stat.

I got these from iterative testing of the divisor from dipstik's formula:

30*(1-(1-(1/30))^(("Alacrity Rating"/80)/3.1982)) = alacrity percentage as a whole number

and found through just random testing that 3.1982 seemed to match my results on the character sheet based on the version of PTS on September 19:

Rating Percentage

5313 15.16%

4662 13.82%

4011 12.36%

3360 10.77%

2058 7.16%

Also, of note,

You'll need all alacrity augments (14 x 108) and still be short 3919 alacrity rating if you want to get to the 1.3s GCD as a healer, which means you'll need an average of 392 alacrity rating for all 10 enhancement locations (5 armor + MH/OH + E/I/I).

Edited by phalczen

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20211102

<<

Nearly all gear that is rewarded and upgraded will be static and non-moddable to allow for a more convenient upgrade path for the player. Comparing stats and upgrading gear will greatly improve and become easier to understand. Players will still be able to use moddable gear, but this type of gear is not required for players to be effective in any content in the game. Access to a moddable gear vendor will be granted at item rating 334, which is the highest possible gear rating attainable in the major game update following 7.0. We plan to provide that additional layer of stat customization to those players who prefer to min/max their characters between major updates.

>>

Edited by Savej

How many people are going to rip out augments and buy new kits every time they upgrade gear? Considering max iLevel will be a continually moving goal post, I can't see ever augmenting gear again. What a silly design! Is this supposed to be a new credit sink? Or did they come up with a clever design where your existing gear is upgraded, rather than being replaced with new, higher tier gear?

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20211102

<<

Nearly all gear that is rewarded and upgraded will be static and non-moddable to allow for a more convenient upgrade path for the player. Comparing stats and upgrading gear will greatly improve and become easier to understand. Players will still be able to use moddable gear, but this type of gear is not required for players to be effective in any content in the game. Access to a moddable gear vendor will be granted at item rating 334, which is the highest possible gear rating attainable in the major game update following 7.0. We plan to provide that additional layer of stat customization to those players who prefer to min/max their characters between major updates.

>>

Yeah, WoW said the same thing when they removed Titanforging.

How many people are going to rip out augments and buy new kits every time they upgrade gear? Considering max iLevel will be a continually moving goal post, I can't see ever augmenting gear again. What a silly design! Is this supposed to be a new credit sink? Or did they come up with a clever design where your existing gear is upgraded, rather than being replaced with new, higher tier gear?

I thought the same thing when they first announced it. If it’s supposed to be a credit sink, it’s a poorly designed one that most people will just ignore.