Active pets do not persist when loading a new area or changing instances

Jerba

Previously, when you had pets out and would go to a different planet or enter a flashpoint, your pets would travel with you. However, since 2.1 those pets will disappear.

To reproduce this bug, try the following:

1) Activate a pet so it is standing next to you.

2) Go to a different planet or change the instance.

3) Once the loading screen is finished, you won't have any pets out.

I also submitted an in-game bug report to make sure this bug is noticed. Please fix it so that we do not always need to call our pets again :)

• Dev Post

Hi there Jerba,

Thanks for the report. We've got this in our system now, and we'll get it fixed for an upcoming patch, though it's not yet scheduled.

As a side note, thanks for the repro steps in your post! Good reports of this nature help us confirm and fix issues more quickly, even when they're smaller bugs.

:ph_cheers:

Hi there Jerba,

Thanks for the report. We've got this in our system now, and we'll get it fixed for an upcoming patch, though it's not yet scheduled.

As a side note, thanks for the repro steps in your post! Good reports of this nature help us confirm and fix issues more quickly, even when they're smaller bugs.

:ph_cheers:

Will this fix also fix for leaving Warzones? It is the #1 reason why I don't spend $$$ on pets - I PvP a lot, and I've given up turning my pets back on Every Time I Exit A Warzone.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

We are close to the two year anniversary, so I thought I might as well push this thread, and to comply with the ToS, add some information on why this bug needs to be fixed.

I've talked to many pet collectors and other players over the years and identified this bug to be the main reason why a lot of pet collectors stopped collecting pets and why many average players stop putting their pets out. It is just too much of a hassle to once again call your pets because you were in a loading screen. I even tried putting them on my quickbar and I still don't call them, you just forgot to constantly call them again and after some time don't even care anymore.

Since pets are heavily sold via the CM and the players interested in pets are also the players spending money on the CM, I imagine this bug created a lot of lost revenue but we'll never know for sure.

If it's not too difficult, it would be great if you can fix this bug. To the best of my knowledge, you just need to change a flag on the pets so that their effect persists during a area load, this should not be a difficult change.

Also, I think this thread greatly demonstrates what separates SWTOR from other MMOs: The devs are afraid to talk to players because of the backlash they might cause. You just need to realize that no matter what you do in life, you are gonna piss some people off because everyone has different opinions on a matter and different moral values, but not saying anything does not fix the problem, it is only making it worse. By not talking to players, they feel left alone and don't feel the developers care about what they are doing.

For example, to answer some of the concerns in this thread:

Yay, why not fix the same issue with companions that actually matters.

Don't worry, companions have a much higher priority than minipets.

A have a fix for compansions is scheduled for patch ... OR The developers are still working on a fix for the companions but rest assured that they will be fixed before the minipets.

(AFAIK, the companion bugs he's talking about have been fixed by now)

Bah... While making changes can we just disable pets in Operations......

Only reason to have them in operations is to cause more lag.

SWTOR's policy is to leave this decision to the players, or specifically the raidleaders. There are players who want to have minipets our during a fun raid, but there are also players who don't want to have pets in a progression raid. Therefore, it is up to the raidleader if players are allowed to take out minipets during a raid or not, and you are free to only join raids whose raidleader's decisions you agree with. :)

Will this fix also fix for leaving Warzones? It is the #1 reason why I don't spend $$$ on pets - I PvP a lot, and I've given up turning my pets back on Every Time I Exit A Warzone.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, pets have been working this way ever since the game was released and due to technical issues we cannot have a pet persist after a warzone match. I'm sorry that this issue can't be fixed for you, but as soon as the bug in this thread is fixed, at least the pets will stay a lot more than currently.

Three short responses like this would do wonders for the community and responding to it doesn't take any longer than trolling the community does. They may not be what we like to hear but it shows that the devs are interacting with the community. Not saying anything doesn't fix this issue and will cause those players to quit the game. In fact looking at their post history, 2 of the 3 are no longer playing SWTOR.

In any case, it would be great if this bug can be fixed and I hope I answered the questions of those three players even though they may not even read my response. This bug really had a much bigger impact on the players than it looked like two years ago and would be great if you could return pets to their vanilla functionality.

Edited by Jerba

You know we passed the 3 year anniversary, right?

My bad, what I meant by that is that this bug is 2 years old. It was only added after the RotHC expansion in 2013.

That's the sad part really. I would not complain if pets had been working this way since release but they didn't.

For one-and-a-half years, we were able to travel to a different zone and keep our pet out, but then GU 2.1 came and broke it. :(

Edited by Jerba

I would really like this to be fixed as well. It's the reason I don't really use my pets. If they stuck around I would use them. But I log in and out of characters a lot and change planets relatively often. It's just not worth bringing them out just to have them disappear the next time I do something.

I second this and Jerba's line of reasoning concerning lost revenue, since people are really too frustrated to even care about pets anymore. Thus you lose the function of pets as a reward which keeps game content interesting for a prolonged period of time plus possible CM sales.

Me, I like my Sent with C2-N2 as a healer plus the blue Astromech droid pet we got as a present once and the Czerka eye, cause it looks a bit like the flying ball Luke uses with Ben to practice his light saber skills :-)

But it bugs the hell out of me to have to call both pets again every single time I travel to a different location, change instance etc.

And I agree it's even more annoying that this bug entered the game with a big expansion over a year ago and remains broken until today.

Thus you lose the function of pets as a reward which keeps game content interesting for a prolonged period of time plus possible CM sales.

Interesting theory and it is 100% correct. I never looked at it from that angle.

Two years ago when I wrote the bug report, I expected it would just get fixed within a few weeks and I could forget about it but since they were not able to fix it, a small bug like this has over time totally changed how players perceive an entire game system. Minipets turned from being followers of your in-game adventures, to a long list of abilities in your skills window. The Cartel Market certainly played a part as well, given how we got way more pets than we can have out, but this bug had an even bigger impact.

Some players have never been interested in pets and are not affected by this bug but I still think the majority - while not glorifying the pets, at least liked having them out while playing. I still remember the days when everyone got a pet in the mail, like for the MT-4T or Heliotropic Subteroth promotion, and it was great seeing so many pets on fleet. It kind of reminded me of how fleet looked during vanilla and it made me sad. :(

As stated, this bug should not have been forgotten, it has only gotten worse over time but it is still not too late to fix it.

Edited by Jerba

• 6 years later...
Minipets turned from being followers of your in-game adventures, to a long list of abilities in your skills window.

As stated, this bug should not have been forgotten, it has only gotten worse over time but it is still not too late to fix it.

Six years later, one begins to suspect this is not going to change. :-(

I can even understand why. It's related to that comment about pets adding to the lag in raids. If everyone always had pets out I can imagine it would affect gameplay.

It's too bad, really. I got a character the Beastmaster title and now her mounts and pets (and companion) are beasts, but she often doesn't bother with pets since they vanish so often. And yes, it affects my CM purchases.

Now this is a thread that deserves to be necro'd! It is kind of ridiculous that this is still an issue, especially considering that we got a dev post in this thread a few years ago saying that they'd get it fixed in an upcoming patch.

Community reps, mods, devs . . . anybody want to see about getting this fixed, pretty please? There are so many wonderful pets I'd like to use, but it seems pointless to collect them now except as stronghold decos. :(

• 2 months later...
This is why I don't even bother with pets...

Same. Which is a pretty big oversight on BWs part, since I'd even spend Cartel Coins on them if they persisted - and I suspect I'm not the only one: Why would anyone spend real money on something you have to reactivate every single time you change location for it to actually work?

• 1 month later...
They will probably fix it when they fix Vector's & Scourge's missing skin textures...

if you mean the decoration bug for the stronghold then there need to fix it for all the class companions since its broken on all off then since 6.0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...