Ten Issues with A Traitor Among the Chiss

Ten Issues with the Traitor Among the Chiss

1) In general, I think the flashpoint is too long. Depending on the class, gearing and encounters resetting it can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 4 hours to complete, or more. Some mobs have too much Armor, too much Absorb or too much Resist to various attacks, lowering DPS upwards of 75%. Bosses also have have tons of health, taking 10-30 minutes each in SOLO mode. This can make the flashpoint very tedious to complete. It feels more like it should have been a staged mission, or that Copero should have been an open world planet.

2) The flashpoint does not save progress. It has to be completed in one sitting. I would suggest making SOLO mode checkpoint with each boss kill, similar to how OPS work.

3) SOLO mode must be completed solo with only Lt Temple. And no GSI Droid either. Only SOLO mode advances story progress. This is a social game. Along with the time requirement, these may be a barrier to game progression for some players. Many other flashpoints allow for solo-mode grouping, but not this one.

I have yet to test whether grouping is allowed for players who have completed the solo story mission, e.g., so we can help discouraged, frustrated or impaired players through the flashpoint. Checkpointing would help here too. Once the SOLO mission is completed, it cannot be reacquired (which is not a bad thing.)

4) General: Mobs can fall under the floor, still hit you, but you can't hit them, leaving Lt. Temple to do the fighting. This can take forever if she isn't of high influence. Repositioning her using the Passive command may help bring the mobs to the surface.

5) General: Mobs with stealth may retain their stealth during the fight, unbroken. Annoying, mostly. Protracts the fights too.

6) While doing the SOLO mission, Crew skills cannot be used except by Lt. Temple. She can also become stuck, unresponsive to a companion bar command, and won't dismiss. If this happens, the only work around is exiting flashpoint and re-entering, or ALT-F4.

7) Valss Fight - This boss will stealth a lot. At times he also has "perfect stealth" (he can hit you, stealth doesn't break, you can't hit him), with very short periods where he becomes targettable when you might get in an instant attack or two before he disappears again. At 25% health this becomes very annoying since he does this constantly until death.

8) Valss Fight - Server/Client Desync. Because of Valss' teleport abilities the server and the client may desync, the client rendering Valss in a different location from the server. This can make him out of range when you appear to be within melee range, saber attacks do nothing, etc. When Valss finally dies, this may make him unlootable (too far away). If this happens, you can Alt-F4 exit the game, log back in, and loot.

9) Valss Fight - Valss may teleport you to his current location, which can be somewhere unreachable or out of bounds, like outside the combat area. This can make Valss evade and the encounter reset. This has happened to me 3 times in one of three runs so far, at between 50 and 70% of his HP remaining. The other two runs worked okay, just took a while.

10) Achievement Bugs: One or more of the three Veteran Achievements that reward 2 Copero Propaganda decorations each on completion can award 999 decorations instead. The achievement Bane of Inrokini requires killing 100 Inrokini Chiss. From my three runs, the counter has increased to 12/100 so it seems only 4 of the many dozens of Inrokini mobs count per run.

I agree with your observations. I'm an older player who plays for the sake of the stories and I found this chapter as it stands right now too hard to complete. I played for two hours, only reaching the first boss (that fight took 15 minutes of keyboard pounding with my tank Jedi) and had to quit for the night, then found out the story does not save our progression. That pretty much means I can't progress solo until it is fixed, however it is done. I have old hand injuries and while I can do two random FPs a night all right, Traitor Among the Chiss left me in pain and so discouraged I'll not try it again until my local friends who play tell me it is playable by folks like me.

I agree with your observations. I'm an older player who plays for the sake of the stories and I found this chapter as it stands right now too hard to complete. I played for two hours, only reaching the first boss (that fight took 15 minutes of keyboard pounding with my tank Jedi) and had to quit for the night, then found out the story does not save our progression. That pretty much means I can't progress solo until it is fixed, however it is done. I have old hand injuries and while I can do two random FPs a night all right, Traitor Among the Chiss left me in pain and so discouraged I'll not try it again until my local friends who play tell me it is playable by folks like me.

they're nerfing it on tuesday:

Hey folks,

We hear you about the health levels and mobs inside of Copero. We are making some changes with 5.6.1 next week to bring it more in line with the difficulty / time you experienced with Umbara. Here are the current patch notes for these changes in 5.6.1 (still subject to change, check on Monday for the final).

Bosses have had their health significantly reduced in both Story and Solo Mode.

The damage done by bosses has been reduced in both Story and Solo Mode.

Bosses have had their health slightly reduced in both Veteran and Master Mode.

The number of enemies has been reduced throughout the Flashpoint.

The Guardian Droid will no longer instant cast their Mortar Volley ability.

The Copero Security Droid will no longer instant cast their Seeker Missile ability.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

also, if it helps, you can skip all the mobs between the start and the first boss, just run through and then jump off the cliff or /stuck (but jumping off the cliff doesn't add to your repair bill) once you're at the guardian droid. or run it on a stealth toon so you can skip every mob in between bosses as well :)

doesn't feel like they changed much of anything running this nonsense on saturday night 12/16. just as much overabundance of trash mobs in veteran mode today than there were the past few weeks. the first boss also makes pugs quit with waves of 3 or more adds spawning every ten seconds and piling up. letting leveling sub-70 characters que up and runt he FP doesn't exactly help either as they're not geared, don't know their classes and if low enough, don't even have all their skills/attacks yet due to the leveling process.

• 4 months later...
I have just given up on this Flashpoint for good I guess. I am not an old or experienced player, I just play because I like the stories. But hey that bastard boss killed me like fifteen times in a row (yea I repaired armor after deaths) despite I even checked how to kill it on YouTube so... I am not sure if I am dissapointed or sad or I should just stop playing swtor ahh dammit...

• 2 weeks later...
Tedious <- that says it all.

Pretty much. Zahn's contribution was something HE should have paid BW to use, because it didn't help their story, and will give him more to add to his books than to their story here. I read Thrawn, and there's very little to pick up here, nor much of an idea of why Chiss are in SWTOR when the Thrawn book treats Chiss like story book legend.

Gameplay: Silver mobs with gold kill times. Sure, seems like they tried to throw a curveball at the beginning with all the medic mobs hiding out. But it was there throughout the mission. BW is clearly still having issues with the companion role balance. I can understand that, but in this mission, it was tedious. And I played with an Agent that got a "guest star" at 20th level.

• 4 weeks later...
so i have my own little annoying issue my self, the guardian droid being unkillable it either kills lt temple in few seconds if i dont focus on healing her with the kolto scattered around, and even worse is sith sorcerors (personally only fitting class in this part of the game being pretty much palpatine) hardly do any damadge and die quickly ps dying faster if lt temple is put on atk cuz healing is terrible in this game in general, 3 healing abilities with too much cooldown

so i have my own little annoying issue my self, the guardian droid being unkillable it either kills lt temple in few seconds if i dont focus on healing her with the kolto scattered around, and even worse is sith sorcerors (personally only fitting class in this part of the game being pretty much palpatine) hardly do any damadge and die quickly ps dying faster if lt temple is put on atk cuz healing is terrible in this game in general, 3 healing abilities with too much cooldown

Have you tried doing something silly like feeding her some good companion gifts?

I don't recall having any particular difficulty on my Lightning Sorc. My KC (tank) Shadow? Sure, that was hard work because of my low damage output, but not my LSorc. What's your gear like?

How is it that no one mentioned that ever 2 seconds some a**hole is yelling house inrokini. Jesus Christ S T F U!

lol that's my biggest peeve of this whole flashpoint. but yes the starting mobs being immune it totally ridiculous.

Edited by Ld-Siris

I have done this flashpoints quite a few times on various characters and have not had any problems. Most of my characters have 230 gear. You can raise Temple's affection if you take some gifts with you or exit the flashpoint with her and then go get her some gifts but I haven't had to do that.

They have reduced some mobs so it doesn't take that long, if you skip the bonuses and once you get the achievement there is no reason really to do it again. Stealth characters of course have it a bit easier time wise but even on my non-stealth characters it doesn't take that long.

A good content doesn't ask ppl to make a new characters to run it smoothly.

Went pretty smoothly on my Lightning Sorc in post-story solo just now.

L70 character (duh), gear score 232, not my most comfortable spec (that is, it's not Gunnery Commando), rank 41 Lana.

Key point: after you've done the story, you can use whichever companion you like, so if you don't fancy doing it with a rank 1 Temple (you don't even have to do the rank-1 thing in the story if you bring the right gifts), you can do it with a high-rank companion.

Observation: Temple tends to stay in one place during the Guardian Droid fight, while Lana bounces around all over the place. Neither of them adjusts their position to take account of where the player is.

Went pretty smoothly on my Lightning Sorc in post-story solo just now.

L70 character (duh), gear score 232, not my most comfortable spec (that is, it's not Gunnery Commando), rank 41 Lana.

Key point: after you've done the story, you can use whichever companion you like, so if you don't fancy doing it with a rank 1 Temple (you don't even have to do the rank-1 thing in the story if you bring the right gifts), you can do it with a high-rank companion.

Observation: Temple tends to stay in one place during the Guardian Droid fight, while Lana bounces around all over the place. Neither of them adjusts their position to take account of where the player is.

I don't think it's hard, just buggy and long without stealth characters.

How is it that no one mentioned that ever 2 seconds some a**hole is yelling house inrokini. Jesus Christ S T F U!

This This This This THIS!!!!!!!!!

I will never run this flashpoint again until House Inrokini lines up all their house members and supporters and STUFFS all their blasted mouths full of rags or something.

Edited by HollyUSEC

• 5 months later...
This is by far and away the worst Flash point that SWTOR has ever produced. A did it again tonight and it is just as bad as always. A little concerned about the new content coming out shortly. if it is bad as this flaming pile of bantha podoo I'll be a little worried. Edited by Atonu

• 2 weeks later...
I've played this a few times recently and it does seem too long for a flashpoint still. It really should have been created as an Operation, but unfortunately I think that didn't happen because of complaining a long time ago that you could start the Oricon storyline but couldn't finish it unless you were a sub at the final Op missions. Maybe not, but all I know is that after 3.0 and ToS came out they gave you an option to do the dailies instead of the operation so you could finish SoR. In this case, they might as well have shortened it to not even have the first Chiss village and boss, absolutely no one who's done the Flashpoint at least once wants to have to go through it. Edited by MagicTerror

absolutely no one who's done the Flashpoint at least once wants to have to go through it.

I've done it on (counts) at least seven different characters(1), from end to end. The part before the underground installation drags a little, but if you compare it to running all over the beach and the Revanite installation on Rakata Prime, for example, it's suddenly not so bad.

(1) Kylath, Kylarina Lyuze, Tikreva'tarsil, Xalari'Pelarth, Yerka Kolar, Tela, Be-bop'alula(2)

(2) In case you don't believe me: https://i.imgur.com/HQjzY6A.jpg