HORRIBLE AA implamentation.

GuillimanT

I haven't tried the new option yet but I had it enabled through the settings file at 2x and I was pleased with the performance other than the graphical glitches most notable on Coruscant buildings. Personally I like 2x just fine and I normally don't even have that turned on in most games.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense. Only people on junky PC's would say this. Use of AA is very standard.

Basic = Forming an essential foundation.

Are you really fundamentally not able to play and enjoy a game because edges are more jagged without antialiasing?

I dont know what everyones problem is... Sure, the game does have bugs, but look how many they fixed with this patch! Concerning the AA "issue", I have been forcing the highest graphics possible through the .INI files, including 16x AA and I have yet to go below 40fps. I have a 3.8ghz quad core phenom processor and a GTX 460 GFX card. Check your settings of your graphics card and/or driver issues before INSTANTLY jumping on the forums to complain like some whiny WoW kid. If you feel like its bugged or broken, post REASONS and PROOF why you feel it is such, not just post "ZOMG ITS BRUKKIN!! WOW WINZZ!!" crap. Talk about an embarrassment to the entire community...

Delete your SWTOR settings folder.

Remove any custom entries in your video card options that you've added.

Restart the game.

Get non-****** framerates.

A friend of mine gained 20 FPS (without any loss of quality) just by removing the old incorrect settings that TOR incorrectly setup the first time he ran it.

Shouldn't BioWare's patch be taking care of these things? I mean, they do have the ability to just over-write the file(s) and fix it right up...

Basic = Forming an essential foundation.

Are you really fundamentally not able to play and enjoy a game because edges are more jagged without antialiasing?

OH gimme a break mr semantics. Of course it's not essential. But believe me I don't custom build my own pc's , and use $300+ video cards to see jagged edges.

Face it, avid gamers use AA. Obviously you are not one.

Edited by Your_dominus

Shouldn't BioWare's patch be taking care of these things? I mean, they do have the ability to just over-write the file(s) and fix it right up...

I agree, I put in a bug report to tell them to do this.

It's ridiculous that we have to 'fix' things ourselves, but it's better than it not being playable at all.

I dont know what everyones problem is... Sure, the game does have bugs, but look how many they fixed with this patch! Concerning the AA "issue", I have been forcing the highest graphics possible through the .INI files, including 16x AA and I have yet to go below 40fps. I have a 3.8ghz quad core phenom processor and a GTX 460 GFX card. Check your settings of your graphics card and/or driver issues before INSTANTLY jumping on the forums to complain like some whiny WoW kid. If you feel like its bugged or broken, post REASONS and PROOF why you feel it is such, not just post "ZOMG ITS BRUKKIN!! WOW WINZZ!!" crap. Talk about an embarrassment to the entire community...

40fps is nothing to brag about. This game, with those settings, should still be running much higher...

LOL whaaaaat?

Look, try and keep up ok? I'm saying "high" in game DOES NOTEVEN LOOK LIKE 2X AA.

And high= a joke.

I have had every iteration of video card from both green and red team for the lat 10 years straight. I don;t need to be schooled on AA. You however need to be schooled on reading comp.

'Appealing to authority' doesn't work if you don't know what you're talking about.

'Appealing to authority' doesn't work if you don't know what you're talking about.

What on EARTH do you think you are nit picking about????

High does not look like so much as 2x MSAA. perhaps its some other form of AA? But it's not even 2x MSAA.

Stop being a jack wagon.

Perhaps you are nitpicking liek you think you are clever...because you do get better image quality?

I will have to try deleting my settings folder etc, but atm, " high " AA looks like crap.

Edited by Your_dominus

You can't play this game without it, the trees, character outlines, enviroment all have jaggy edges and in some cases an apparent white outline.

I play 2-4 hours every day, some times with friends, often with my wife. We're having a blast. Not a single time has the lack or presense of antialiasing bothered me, other than occasionally noting it's nice to have. Nobody in my group has ever mentioned AA. AA has never come up ever in guild chat that I have seen (350 members). So your statement that one cannot play the game without it is just plain false.

Did you stop plaing the game because of this? Really?

If AA isn't working for you in-game:

Turn off AA in game. Close the game.

Open up the Nvidia Control Manager / Ati Control Manager (or Catalyst, whatever they call it)

Go to game settings / 3D settings / whatever

Find The Old Republic, or if it isn't in the list, browse to the game .exe and select that

Go to AA and select the setting your video card can handle.

Choose "Override Game Setting"

Hit apply.

Launch the game.

You now have AA applied.

Also:

The idea that somehow AA is broken or implemented poorly is a joke. AA is handled by the graphics card, using graphics card drivers and libraries, and using DirectX libraries. They merely say "perform AA" and thats it, the rest is done by your hardware.

If you really think that somehow bioware messed up AA, then do it with the control manager instead of the game. That should be a flawless implementation of AA as performed by Nvidia/Ati and is in your graphics drivers.

If it runs slow, then its because your computer can't handle the increased overhead of AA.

This is not because its somehow "bad AA", but you just can't handle the increased overhead.

But you say "hey, my computer can handle skyim with AA!" guess what? Computer games are WAAAAY more complicated than that! You can't compare apples to oranges like that.

My computer runs Crysis 2 on max settings with 8x AA better than it runs Minecraft with 0x AA. Okay? Computer software is complicated, people. I don't have time to explain all of the "why", but trust me it makes complete sense.

Yo do not reset user options. Or keybinds. ETC...

Many people have edited the .INI something not recommended.

Seems like everybody who's having problems has an ATI card... Looks like Milaways knows a bit about what he's talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was ATI's drivers or something. Those cards are always having issues with games. I'm curious to test this out on my Nvidia when I go home for lunch. *crosses fingers* Edited by DarrkLore

As far as I can tell, Low = Disabled and High = 1x. You'd think they'd know better than this after the high/medium textures debacle.

But sir, you don't know what you are talking about:rolleyes:

( refering to the jackwagon troll that insists on telling me I don;t know what I'm talking about.)

though I will point out logically theres a difference between low, and disabled.

You and I aren't the only ones saying " high " looks like garbage.

Edited by Your_dominus

40fps is nothing to brag about. This game, with those settings, should still be running much higher...

Who said i was bragging? I have a low end gaming rig, yet im able to still get very playable fps. Read my post before you reply to it, brah. They just need to go ahead and lock this thread. I dont see anything constructive coming from it other than showing who the trolls are.

As far as I can tell, Low = Disabled and High = 1x. You'd think they'd know better than this after the high/medium textures debacle.

No, off = disabled.

Where is our fine grained control over it though. Given that all the implementation would do is set a flag in the 3d API, it's stupid that we don't have direct control over it.

High, Medium and Low didn't look the same. High and Medium looked the same.

As for anti-aliasing, do you actually have eyes? Look for yourself.

I stand corrected on the Low. The only true options were Low and Medium. high was just there, the same way a lot are claiming that AA is just there.

You can gain graphical improvements in many other ways besides adding AA.

Personally I setup my Vcards for each game individually in the control panel.

But sir, you don't know what you are talking about:rolleyes:

( refering to the jackwagon troll that insists on telling me I don;t know what I;m talking about.)

You and I aren't the only ones saying " high " looks like garbage.

I don't disagree it looks disappointing, I'm saying that if you go and actually compare it to 2x, 4x and 8x you might be disappointed by how 'clever' you actually are.

80% drop in fps.

running a Q9550 at 3.6ghz; GTX 285, 8gig of 4-4-4-12 800 memory and rest isn't important setup.

You're right that the rest isn't important. This is enough to see that you are running a low/mid system. If you are running the game with numerous graphics settings turned up, such as AA, the game will perform badly on this rig. There is nothing you can do about this short of replacing your computer: the cpu is bottlenecked, the system bus is slow, and the video card is several generations behind. There is no single component you can replace to help, so turn down the settings and stop pretending that you have a modern gaming rig.

Ok, yes, they appear to have goofed on fixing AA. why all the rage though? I mean I get it, I really do, that you pay good money for your machines and that bioware said they fixed it but they didn't for a lot of people.

Are graphics really that important? Do they cause you to die?

If you want to be mad about something get mad about ability delay. something runescape got right but swtor can't.