Best Star Wars novels

antifeminist

I really suggest getting into the Star Wars lore if you haven't already.

So there's three SWTOR books, that is Decieved, Revan, and Fatal Alliances.

Also highly recommended are:

Darth Bane trilogy

Darth Plageuis

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Darth Maul Lockdown

Death Star

The two Thrawn trilogies

Order 66

Kenobi

pretty much any book from the Clone Wars era

There are 4 actually with Annihilation.

Haven't read Fatal Alliance yet, and haven't finished Deceived wich is not my favourite, but i really enjoyed Revan and Annihilation.

I greatly disliked the SWTOR novels. I thought the one about Theron Shan and the auction literally unreadable. The only one that is slightly good is Deceived, mainly because it gives a little backstory about Malgus and the Treaty, which is not necessary to understand the game, but is helpful. Beyond that, its main value though is to shoehorn all eight character classes into some kind of coherent story, and it didn't really succeed. I don't even remember the other one, something about a superweapon. Oh and Revan was the worst. I try to forget that book was ever written tbh. This game would have been a lot more interesting if they'd taken their cues from KOTOR2 instead of the first game.

Order 66 was great, but should be read within the Republic Commando series, or a lot of the characters will be unfamiliar. That series also has one big issue in that it doesn't connect well to TCW / Rebels, and I don't mean the million clones thing. In the series, the clones are generally resentful of the Jedi and happy when they get killed. They're not fans of the Empire, but the series goes out of its way to show how Jedi became corrupted by suddenly getting an army. I read those, then saw the cartoons, and was mystified the way the clones after Order 66 continued to hero-worship the Jedi; I think Traviss' version makes more sense.

I mentioned this at length in another thread, but briefly, my picks are:

Allston's Wraith Squadron books

The Han Solo Trilogy

Darth Plagueis

Bane Trilogy

Republic Commando Series

Every book Matt Stover wrote: Traitor, The Shadows of Mindor, Shatterstrike and the RotS novelization.

Zahn's books. I also liked Scoundrels.

Edited by Ardrossan

These aren't really novels, but I also recommend three LPs:

Scorchy's LP of KOTOR 2: https://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

PopTarts Ninja's LP of the SW story: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504077

Inferior's LP of the JC story: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533179

SA did LPs of all the class stories, but several have been left unfinished.

I really suggest getting into the Star Wars lore if you haven't already.

Also highly recommended are:

Darth Bane trilogy

Darth Plageuis

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Darth Maul Lockdown

Death Star

The two Thrawn trilogies

Order 66

Kenobi

pretty much any book from the Clone Wars era

Which one of these has that dark elf ranger, named Drizz't or something like that. I heard that's a great Star Wars book.

Well SW books comes down to two things, one who wrote it, but then what the over all story arc was about. The Vong story line had writers doing a novel here and there in the overall story arc but generally did not care for it at all. It was not the Vong it was more of the writer just saying " who can I kill off" and nothing more. The Vong themselves I found very interesting such a shame the one pulling the strings was a dark force user, totally ruined it. Still the "who can I kill off" attitude of the writers kind of had already put me of the story arc mid way though it.

So for me any book set before that was OK except any by K.J Anderson. Really found he's books hard to read and how he wrote Luke seemed so out of character at the time. This was of course long before many of the books that followed he's style of writing.

Books good or bad in the SW universe is going to be very subjective, there be plenty who love K.J. Anderson's books but hated the ones I liked. Nothing wrong with that. We all take something different from each book.

Like Zahn's books. (only ones from the EU, did not care for the ones set in the new cannon)

Shadows of the Empire , sorry cannot remember who wrote it.

All the X-Wing books. (various writers)

most of the short stories

Darth Bane was a good book as well. Revan was all kinds of awful.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

There are 4 actually with Annihilation.

Haven't read Fatal Alliance yet, and haven't finished Deceived wich is not my favourite, but i really enjoyed Revan and Annihilation.

I actually thought Deceived was one of the top 10 star wars novels, not as good as Darth Bane or Plageius but still better than most.

I greatly disliked the SWTOR novels. I thought the one about Theron Shan and the auction literally unreadable. The only one that is slightly good is Deceived, mainly because it gives a little backstory about Malgus and the Treaty, which is not necessary to understand the game, but is helpful. Beyond that, its main value though is to shoehorn all eight character classes into some kind of coherent story, and it didn't really succeed. I don't even remember the other one, something about a superweapon. Oh and Revan was the worst. I try to forget that book was ever written tbh. This game would have been a lot more interesting if they'd taken their cues from KOTOR2 instead of the first game.

Order 66 was great, but should be read within the Republic Commando series, or a lot of the characters will be unfamiliar. That series also has one big issue in that it doesn't connect well to TCW / Rebels, and I don't mean the million clones thing. In the series, the clones are generally resentful of the Jedi and happy when they get killed. They're not fans of the Empire, but the series goes out of its way to show how Jedi became corrupted by suddenly getting an army. I read those, then saw the cartoons, and was mystified the way the clones after Order 66 continued to hero-worship the Jedi; I think Traviss' version makes more sense.

I mentioned this at length in another thread, but briefly, my picks are:

The Han Solo Trilogy

Darth Plagueis

Bane Trilogy

Republic Commando Series

Every book Matt Stover wrote: Traitor, The Shadows of Mindor, Shatterstrike and the RotS novelization.

Zahn's books. I also liked Scoundrels.

interesting suggestions, I've not read these as of yet, so I'll check them out

The Han Solo Trilogy

Well SW books comes down to two things, one who wrote it, but then what the over all story arc was about. The Vong story line had writers doing a novel here and there in the overall story arc but generally did not care for it at all. It was not the Vong it was more of the writer just saying " who can I kill off" and nothing more. The Vong themselves I found very interesting such a shame the one pulling the strings was a dark force user, totally ruined it. Still the "who can I kill off" attitude of the writers kind of had already put me of the story arc mid way though it.

So for me any book set before that was OK except any by K.J Anderson. Really found he's books hard to read and how he wrote Luke seemed so out of character at the time. This was of course long before many of the books that followed he's style of writing.

Books good or bad in the SW universe is going to be very subjective, there be plenty who love K.J. Anderson's books but hated the ones I liked. Nothing wrong with that. We all take something different from each book.

Like Zahn's books. (only ones from the EU, did not care for the ones set in the new cannon)

Shadows of the Empire , sorry cannot remember who wrote it.

All the X-Wing books. (various writers)

most of the short stories

Darth Bane was a good book as well. Revan was all kinds of awful.

I stopped reading once I reached that New Jedi Order series, made it thru the first book and half of second. It was really bad writing, and I never much cared for the Luke, Han, Leia characters. Yea the aliens who came from outside the galaxy was very interesting, I think they are bringing back that concept with the new trilogy movie and the newer Thrawn books are hinting at it.

I'll check out the X-Wing books, never read those either.

I actually thought Deceived was one of the top 10 star wars novels, not as good as Darth Bane or Plageius but still better than most.

I don't really know why, but i can't really get into that book. I think i've started reading it like nearly 1 year ago and still haven't finished it, while i read both Revan and Annihilation in 1-2 days.

Maybe i just don't really care about the Deceived characters and so don't really care about the story surrounding them.

Can't talk about Darth Bane and Plagueis as i haven't read any of these though.

Best novel, Shadow of the Empire. Takes place in between Esb and Rotj. Luke, Leia, Lando, and Chewie try to rescue Han from Boba Fett before he delivers him to Jabba. The leader of the Blacksun, Prince Xizor is introduced. As well as Dash Rendar another smuggler. Great back story to Rotj. Edited by TonyTricicolo

The X-Wing books are must reads. Ditto for Thrawn and Darth Bane. These ones are almost universally liked I've found.

One that is very controversial is the Republic Commando books. While I enjoyed them up to but not including Order 66 (the "we universally never liked you from the beginning" argument was incredibly weak), but I always considered them as more of a fan fiction and not part of the overall continuity due to their frequent inconsistency with the prior lore. Not big things typically, but enough where it just felt wrong.

My favorites are mostly all set after RotJ. In no particular order they are...

The young Jedi knights series

Thrawn Trilogy

The Dark Nest Trilogy

Outbound Flight/Survivors Quest

The Fate of the Jedi series

I, Jedi

Specter of the past/visions of the future

Legacy of the force series

The Corellian Trilogy

The Choices of one

Crucible

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

i've gone through Revan, it was mostly a snooze fest until about the last few chapters where it picks up. Despite some of the characters being in the book, they seemed mostly like throwaway characters like Nyriss and Sechel. Murtog was anonymous throughout the book.

i'm gonna look into Deceived next, see what that is about.

My favorites are mostly all set after RotJ. In no particular order they are...

The young Jedi knights series

Thrawn Trilogy

The Dark Nest Trilogy

Outbound Flight/Survivors Quest

The Fate of the Jedi series

I, Jedi

Specter of the past/visions of the future

Legacy of the force series

The Corellian Trilogy

The Choices of one

Crucible

you are my opposite then, I have avoided the majority of books from after RotJ period

At least the first Thrawn Trilogy, of course.

I've not been reading SW novels for so many years now I just didn't know that there was a second Trilogy ?

In fact, I stopped reading ... I think it was 10 years ago or so. The Yuuzan Vong invasion was a serious blow to my "headcanon". I stopped there.

Of the books trhere remained only a few in my bookshelf ... The Young Jedi Knights series is one of them. I loved it, because it was something like - non-war , so to say. Seeing a new generation of Jedi coming was something I greatly looked forward. And it was so ... different. Basically non-war, so to say.

I've not been reading SW novels for so many years now I just didn't know that there was a second Trilogy ?

In fact, I stopped reading ... I think it was 10 years ago or so. The Yuuzan Vong invasion was a serious blow to my "headcanon". I stopped there.

Of the books trhere remained only a few in my bookshelf ... The Young Jedi Knights series is one of them. I loved it, because it was something like - non-war , so to say. Seeing a new generation of Jedi coming was something I greatly looked forward. And it was so ... different. Basically non-war, so to say.

It's called Star WARS for a reason, Alrik!

While I was hit or miss on the Vong War (I enjoyed some of em, and couldn't stand others) I too was a huge fan of the young Jedi knight's series. I'd hoped Disney was gonna adapt those stories for their new trilogy instead of..... "kill the past Emo guy & proud Mary..... but that's a different rant.

I quoted you to recommend you check out the Legacy of the Force series. As a fan of the young Jedi knight's series, I was completely blown away by what happened to those characters we first met at the Jedi Academy so long ago. Especially at the fact that one of the main characters...(slight spoiler ahead)

gets trained by Boba Fett to fight Jedi