SWTOR advanced classes to Pen and Paper systems

UnboundFox

I'm a big pen and paper RPG geek and own several of the Star Wars table top RPG systems(Wizards of the Coast 3.5 and 4.0 systems and the new FFG system), and had the idea of trying to roughly match each advanced class and possibly spec's in some cases to various class combos in the 3.5/4.0 systems and specializations in the FFG books. Its mostly a thought exercise, but I've done it with WoW and RIFTS to DnD a few times to help bring players in(You like playing X, then take a look at Y class/multi-classing)

For example a 4.0 way to pull off the Jedi Guardian Tank would be combing these classes Solider(for armor perks and a taunt)/Jedi(lightsaber block and deflect)/Jedi Knight(the forms and lightsaber throw)/Elite trooper(extra survivability). Pulling Elite Trooper levels for more Knight levels or Jedi master could be used to reflect Focus and Watchman builds fairly easily

I have thought about the opposite - getting my friends who have played SWTTRPGs (all versions) - to play SWTOR.

As I see it the biggest issue with this thought experiment is that while you can create a SWTTRPG high level multi-classed character that will roughly equate to a high level swtor character, you really cannot equate a low level SWTTRPG character to a low level swtor character. You said your yourself: in order to make a JK Guardian you need at least 5 classes from the Wizards RPG. And based on my knowledge of that system (I did play it briefly) you would need multiple levels of those 5 classes to start to get the feel of a low level JKG.

So if your objective is to get SWTOR players into a SWTTRPG (a laudable goal), you will really have to qualify your creations basically saying that yes with combinations of A,B,C,D, and E classes you can get a character that looks and acts like SWTOR advanced class X with Y discipline, but it is going to take a while to get there.

IMO the West End's version. is better suited to this thought experiement but even then it is difficult.

WoW was probably easy to convert to D&D because most of the classes in WoW and D&D are/were roughly designed around the Tolkien archetypes: warriors/fighters, priests/clerics, hunters/rangers, paladin/paladin, monk/monk, deathknight/dreadguard, rogue/rogue, mage/warlock/sorcerer/wizard, etc.

I'm a big pen and paper RPG geek and own several of the Star Wars table top RPG systems(Wizards of the Coast 3.5 and 4.0 systems and the new FFG system), and had the idea of trying to roughly match each advanced class and possibly spec's in some cases to various class combos in the 3.5/4.0 systems and specializations in the FFG books. Its mostly a thought exercise, but I've done it with WoW and RIFTS to DnD a few times to help bring players in(You like playing X, then take a look at Y class/multi-classing)

For example a 4.0 way to pull off the Jedi Guardian Tank would be combing these classes Solider(for armor perks and a taunt)/Jedi(lightsaber block and deflect)/Jedi Knight(the forms and lightsaber throw)/Elite trooper(extra survivability). Pulling Elite Trooper levels for more Knight levels or Jedi master could be used to reflect Focus and Watchman builds fairly easily

if do not like the d6 system then there are 2 d20 systems for star wars, ALL the speiality classes here can, with only the slightest mixing of feats and talents, esily be implemeneted , IF they are not already

if do not like the d6 system then there are 2 d20 systems for star wars, ALL the speiality classes here can, with only the slightest mixing of feats and talents, esily be implemeneted , IF they are not already

Its the D20 and the FFG system I'm conducting this thought exercise with. As someone higher in the thread mentioned while higher level characters in the pen and paper systems can definitely mirror the MMO ACs, it takes work and experience to get there in most instances. The problem with bringing players from MMO to pen and paper is they expect their characters to be able to do all they can do early and just get better at it, while in the pen and paper your abilities can really shift and change as you go from level to level, multi-classing, or adding specializations(FFG)

reverse-engineering Saga Edition builds based on the classes is potentially fun... and also potentially a massive headache ;)

that 4.0 I mentioned is saga and 5 solider/5 jedi/ 3-5 knight/5-7 elite trooper really has the feel of the guardian, and swapping for sith apprentice does the same for jug for the tank spec

Ok as someone who runs a lot of Saga, this is just a matter of talent, feat, Advanced Class, and Prestige Class selection honestly. Considering that SWTOR by way of KOTOR has it's roots in D20 style thinking and Saga is D20 this makes a lot of sense.

However there is one gaping hole: healers. Healing in Saga is a bit different than in mmos as most of it is self healing honestly in Saga. But here we go with some broad strokes.

1) Guardians/ Juggernaut: Jedi with Jedi Knight/Sith Apprentice will do most of what you are looking for with things like Block, Deflect. If you want to go for a tank pick up the Shii-Cho and Soresu talents and watch them not get hit very often. There a literally tons of jedi defensive talents to add to give the feel like Force Fortification, Damage Reduction 10, Equilibrium, and so on. For DPS, Especially Vigilence/Vengeance you might toss in Whirlwind Attack to add in the heavy AOE feel. Lightsaber Throw is a good talent choices here as well. For Sith toss in force grip and dark rage maybe to add in some sith feel. With the Stolen Form talent, SIth Apprentice will give you most of what Jedi Knight does. Armor is less of a thing for most characters in Saga so you really don't need it to pull off the feel here.

2) Sentinals/Marauder: Again Jedi with Jedi Knight/Sith Apprentice will do most of the heavy lifting. However avoid the actual two weapon fighting feat chain as it sucks and instead get the double attack and triple attacks feats. Toss in Rapid Strike, Improved Rapid Strike, and the Twin Strike form power and you can pull dervish bit off nicely.

Hmm this could go long let me break things up in multiple posts.

3) Sage/Sorcerer: TK Sages are very, very simple as there tons of telekinetic powers and talents to pull from. Lightning Sorcs as much the same. Madness Sorcs are easy with the Dark Healing Field, Hatred, and Fear for instance. Balance are harder because the idea of basically draining hit points is more of a dark side thing. Let me do some checking though. Healers are trickier but can but done. For Sages Vital Transfer is the bread and butter for force based healing. The Force Revive talent is another good for battle res. For Sorcs there is Dark Transfer. I would have do some looking to see is there is more healing/cleansing type abilities. As to class mainly jedi and jedi knight going into Jedi Master.

4)Shadow/Assassin: Force Haze gives you stealth. To pull off the positional fighting either go for Scoundrel and the Misfortune talent tree or there are some talents scattered that pull it off in the Jedi and Sith stuff. If I remember right there are several powers that almost mirror.

5) Commando/Mercenary: Soldiers and Elite Trooper will do it with a good selection of gear. There are tons of shooter talents/feats. For Mercs toss in Gunslinger for 2 gun mojo. As to healing side of things like I said self-healing is huge so it is less of a thing but there are some tech based healing in beyond medpacs.

6)Vanguards/Powertechs: SImilar, for tanks there are tons of defensive abilities.

The various armor talents help for both and there are tons of Mandalorian talents and gear for Bounty Hunters. Speaking of Bounty Hunters there is the Bounty Hunter PrC.

Edited by divinecynic

7) Gunslingers/Sniper: Scoundrel is the class that can pull it off easiest. Gunslinger already exists as a PrC. There are tons of shooter talents and feats. Taking cover is definitely a thing in the system already. I am not sure there is something like portable cover, but likely there is something.

8)Soundrel/Operative: Scounrel as a base class definitely would do the trick. There are couple of sneaky based PrCs out like assassin. Stealth fields are around as well. Healing would come from gear like medpacs.

To wrap up and sum up, SWTOR is fairly easy to pull off in Saga. If folks are really interested in this, I could do some more digging for specific abilities.

Edited by divinecynic

On a side note, species is a bit different in Saga. This is due to Saga having tons of species available to players that Swtor won't touch like wookie. There are stats for humans (obviously), chiss, miraluka, togruta, twi'lek, cathar, and zabrak already stated in the game. For cyborgs, being humans with implants, that really easy as well. Purebloods are not statted but Massassi and Kissai actually. Neither are Mirialans or Rattataki. For those three just can just make them funny looking humans or use the near-human rules in Unknown Regions.

Neither are Mirialans or Rattataki. For those three just can just make them funny looking humans or use the near-human rules in Unknown Regions.

iirc, Ventress' stats specifically state that Rattataki are near-human for game purposes, while Mirialans have been called near-human in other sources, so, yep :)