Question about collections unlock for armor set

coffeesplinter

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask and if it's not just let me know. I had a question concerning the armor set unlock and haven't been able to find the answer to it yet. I bought one piece of armor and just realized that in order to unlock it I have to have the whole set. Super bummer since it was super expensive but whatever. My question is, if I end up buying the other pieces would that complete the set in the collections tab opening it up for unlocking on other characters? Thanks!

Yes, just make sure that you bind the other pieces on the same character you bound the 1st piece on.

Edit: Or if you just bought it, but haven't bound it to character yet, you could put it in legacy bank and then bind each piece to the character of your choice once you have all the pieces.

Edited by Rolodome

• 2 months later...

March 31, 2022:

Is this (armor appearance) broken in 7.01 ? I am a returning player and am trying to find out if I need to spend 420 cartel coins on unlocking something for the legacy that I previously bought and bound to a toon. Returning player and I wanted to use on a new toon created for all the changes with combat styles and expansions from the beginning.

Also, I would like to do the same with a lightsaber weapon. But is collections broken for weapons, or another section for the cosmetic looks/appearance only?

Thanks for any help.

Not quite. You complete the set, then unlock it for your current character! You have to unlock it for your account in the collection tab.

Just to clarify, unlocking something in collections makes it available to all five servers as well.

ok, to clarify, unlocking a cartel item for legacy with cartel coins in the collections tab will allow the actual item (not just the appearance of the item because that is broken) to work?

Sorry, I just didn't want to be throwing away cartel coins to try it out last night, if I understood it incorrectly.

Thanks for the help

ok, to clarify, unlocking a cartel item for legacy with cartel coins in the collections tab will allow the actual item (not just the appearance of the item because that is broken) to work?

No. Unlocking a Cartel item fot the ***ACCOUNT*** (not legacy) will allow the *item* to be claimed on other characters. (That is, when you said, "legacy," you should have said, "account," meaning "across all five Live servers.")

The question of unlocking its appearance versus unlocking the item is a complete red herring, because SWTOR doesn't have appearance unlocks in the way that GW2 or ESO does, for *anything*. The closest we get is for speeders+animal mounts, emotes, and so on, where you claim the unlock state rather than the unlock item.

March 31, 2022:

Is this (armor appearance) broken in 7.01 ? I am a returning player and am trying to find out if I need to spend 420 cartel coins on unlocking something for the legacy that I previously bought and bound to a toon. Returning player and I wanted to use on a new toon created for all the changes with combat styles and expansions from the beginning.

Also, I would like to do the same with a lightsaber weapon. But is collections broken for weapons, or another section for the cosmetic looks/appearance only?

Thanks for any help.

Cartel wepons and armors are shells, both the original items and the copies you may grab from collections. It means they have open slots and can be used as actual gear if you wanted to. For armor, you can ignore the slots and just use the outfitter to get the looks in your toon. But weapons (for the moment), requires you to insert mods inside if you actually want to do damage (this is about to change in.... 'soon').

So, answering your questions:

Collections are not broken for weapons. The problem you might have read about is because end game gear is not moddable (and there are no individual mods available for newest gear), so once you reach lvl 80 if you want latest weapon rating you cannot use the 'cosmetic' ones until they add weapons on the outfitter.

As for unlocking, the process is like this. When you bound the weapon (or all outfit pieces) in a toon it gets available in collections ONLY for that toon. If you want free copies on any other toon you need to pay the unlock for account with cartel coins. Once or twice a year BW gives big discounts on these, but if you want it now you will need to pay in full.