I hate all the Consular Companions

meancraig

Clearly the title was designed to attract attention. However, I value your opinions on our companion characters. I hope that someone can point out endearing characteristics about them that would show me the light, so to speak, so I don't continue to find them all too annoying.

Me: level 50 Pure Healer spec, maxed light side (the entire way through) (female gamer and toon)

Qyzen Fess:

Playability-okay. I never had any real issues with him tanking for me, other than his lag time getting into combat, or going from enemy to enemy, and his overuse of area effects that ruined my cc. However, he was okay.

Personality-wise, he was a bit of a jerk. He never liked my light side choices unless they were about killing things for scores,and he was basically a braggart. I couldn`t stand how he kept judging people for being weak, when he couldn't do much of anything solo without me there to save his skin. I just found this a bit too 2-dimensional for character development when what he went through on Typhon should have taught him some compassion for others.

Theran Cedrax:

Playability-good for certain areas. He has the all-powerful interrupt that is extremely useful and in some cases necessary. I personally didn`t use him that often because i kept my healer spec the entire way to level 50.

Personality: I am a woman, and this guy was a misogynistic creep. I kept wanting to clobber him on the head with a bat, but then I wouldn't have been able to use him in the boss fights. Also, Holiday - While I took the holographic tart with a grain of salt, I can totally see how this could be offensive to some women.

Zenith:

Playability - good for dps. I used him for a full planet and had no issues.

Personality - not too bad actually. He's the tough rogue stereotype, I was actually hoping that he was the love interest for the female toon.

Lt. Felix Iresso:

Playability - pretty good for tanking. Tends to aggro a little more than is necessary. But I used him for most of Corellia with no really bad issues.

Personality- I was sooo disappointed when I found out that he was the love interest. He whines about his memory, his troops don't seem to trust him, and he was captured. Hardly someone to look up to. Even some of the things that he says when you click on him are annoying...he says something like 'you'd better watch it', I guess threatening you because you got in his space. He is basically an immature teenage male who talks tough. I absolutely can't stand him. As much as I wanted to experience every aspect of the game, there was NO way I was going to romance this guy, he's a douche.

this brings me to...

Nadia Grell:

Playability - pretty good for dps, but she's fragile.

Personality - I don't play with her specifically because of the things she says when she needs heals. Including a pseudo-erotic, 'It hurts!' I can't imagine which animae-loving fanboi had her say that in that tone of voice, but I absolutely understand why the male players want to play her. On the one hand she is supposed to be tough...she kills people, etc., and on the other, she is completely subservient to you and only wants to please you.

Anyway, to sum up, I found the consular companions to be 2-dimensional charicatures at best, and completely misogynistic fan-boi fantasies at worst. Thankfully, now that I'm at level 50, I won't need to use any of them very often.

Please let me know your opinions, especially if you disagree. I would like to know if you are seeing something that I am not.

Thank you.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Tharan, but as a tank Shadow he's the one to use in combat. I find myself putting him away during quest turn ins, so that I don't have to see all the negative points from making the right choices.

I'll probably use Nadia in all conversations after I get her, but I doubt she'll be useful to me in combat.

I'm pretty sure you can romance Zenith. I will agree however, the inquisitor companions are much more colorful, and I'm not talking about the rainbow customization for Khem.

As far as Nadia goes, she is supposed to be subservient being your student. She does seem to respond well to having her opinion considered.

I hate Tharan, but as a tank Shadow he's the one to use in combat. I find myself putting him away during quest turn ins, so that I don't have to see all the negative points from making the right choices.

I'll probably use Nadia in all conversations after I get her, but I doubt she'll be useful to me in combat.

If you're pretty well geared for the level you two kill at about double speed compared to Theron, but end up need to med up after a harder pull. She will do significantly more AE damage than you and will end up sharing agro for most of the pull, which is a good thing. There will be gold mobs that might cause you to kite more than you want to with her DPSing. And you can forget about soloing champs (something that is doable though painful with Theron).

Theron seems to despise anything force-related or mystical where Nadia loves it. So swapping her in for conversations on Voss is a must.

If you're pretty well geared for the level you two kill at about double speed compared to Theron, but end up need to med up after a harder pull. She will do significantly more AE damage than you and will end up sharing agro for most of the pull, which is a good thing. There will be gold mobs that might cause you to kite more than you want to with her DPSing. And you can forget about soloing champs (something that is doable though painful with Theron).

I did this with Kira on my JK-G, but prefer the tank-healer set-up. No downtime is worth the longer battles, for me at least. :)

I am also a female gamer, going light side all the way as well and have played partway first as Balance and then found a better server, rerolled there and am leveling so far as Healer. Only have Qyzen and Theran so far but Theran I agree with you. I dislike him and so far have no need for him. Qyzen I like his personality and he's definitely my buddy. Although he has some annoying combat bugs - the AoE thing turning on all the time will be fixed in next patch. But he takes a long time to attack mobs once I tell him to which gets annoying. But I use him since my only other choice is Theran so far. I'm hoping I'll like some of the future companions better. One odd thing about Theran, his personality is exactly as you said but his voice and look doesn't match his personality at all if you know what I mean. O.o But Theran seems to enjoy being my crafting ***** along with my droid so I can take some satisfaction from making him go do chores for me. :D Edited by Leiloni

I can certainly understand this. In fact the companions are what's holding me back from playing consular myself. I did play one briefly, but I didn't care for the class missions or Qyzen, and reading about the rest of the companions didn't help.

Sadly it seems like the imps get more interesting companions in general. But I'd rather play republic so I don't have to listen to the 291 billion sith lords of nothing blabbering about power and how to best use lightning to prepare food in the field.

I just can't seem to find a combination a class I want and companions I can stand.

I've only just got Lt Iresso and so far I find him alright personality wise. He comes over a bit unsure of himself in social situations, kind of shy I suppose, and a little naive.

Theron I always liked - I use him a lot as Shadow Infiltrator because my running partner for quests is a tanky JK and he prefers to bring his Kira pet. Theran is a bit weird but he reminds me strongly of the guy from the movie Serneity called 'Mr Universe'. He's all about the technology, even his heart belongs to something that isn't 'real'. The only annoying thing about him, to me, is his constant 'did I tell you I'm a pacifist' (which I usually reply to 'yes - for the 100th time..) and the fact he soemtimes forgets to heal me because he's shooting things (even with his 'shooting things' talents turned off...)

Q.Fess - he's ok too - a bit too bloodthirsty at times, but nothing I can't deal with story-wise. He was a great tank for me while I went through the very very low levels. Now alas his gear is awfully old because I forget to upgrade his stuff and can't make any for him with synthweaving (thanks BioWare...)

The ship droid - kill me now.

Zenith - I don't like his moody teenage boy attitude much but I haven't used him a whole lot as I don't solo very often.

FYI - I'm a lady player too.

I'm pretty sure you can romance Zenith. I will agree however, the inquisitor companions are much more colorful, and I'm not talking about the rainbow customization for Khem.

As far as Nadia goes, she is supposed to be subservient being your student. She does seem to respond well to having her opinion considered.

You can only romance one companion choice per gender. For female toons, it's Iresso and for male toons, it's Nadia.

You're right, about her student status, however I imagine subservience in a padawan is more sith-y than jedi-y which seem to be more mentors than literal masters.

One odd thing about Theran, his personality is exactly as you said but his voice and look doesn't match his personality at all if you know what I mean. O.o But Theran seems to enjoy being my crafting ***** along with my droid so I can take some satisfaction from making him go do chores for me. :D

I noticed that too...he's a wannabe playboy dressed like a 17th century fop. It brought to mind the late 80's Leisure Suit Larry idea of a character for me.

As far as how they function, my favorites are Theran/Holiday and

Nadia. On both, I've really payed attention to gearing them for

heals on Theran, and DPS for Nadia. My character is a female shadow

tank, and Nadia especially, makes for spectacular, and fast battles.

Nadias at 10,000 affection, Theran/Holiday, 9,600? I'm not sure

if that affects their conversations. Regardless, I completely disagree

on Nadias low health emote. To my ear, it sounds despairing, and I

do everything I can as a tank character to keep aggro off her. It's

not pleasant to hear, and she usually dies shortly afterwards since I

can't heal her. So... She fits very well with a tank.

Theran was a bit obnoxious early on, but he seems a lot nicer as his

affection goes up. Other than that brief, strange and weird phase

early on, he's a nice pair with Holiday. And the heals/Holiday stun

mean I can handle lots of very strong champions with just a little

thought.

I was gonna create a separate thread, but I think this one is appropriate?

I agree with the OP pretty much completely, though I haven't gotten Iresso, I read up on him and bleh. Also, Nadia....so not surprised the direction that takes as a companion to a male PC. I could absolutely ...:mad:... *ahem* give a piece of my mind to the writing staff on so bloody many of their choices in companions, especially the teen/young-twenties females. What the ever-loving <> were those... people thinking??? :(

My main request though: Zenith -- I'm willing to wait two paid expansions and 3 years for the option to romance him. :p

Also, I personally like Qyzen, only thing I disagree about with the OP, but I can definitely see how he can be annoying. I personally just wanna give him a hug all the time, he reminds me of a cuddly, more sociable Klingon or somesuch. :p

The only companion I don't like so far of the consular is Iresso, but to be fair, his affection is the lowest of all my companions. I don't know much about him yet.

I love Qyzen, Tharan, and Nadia. Zenith is starting to grow on me, but it's been tough getting to like him because of how much I disliked Balmorra.

Slightly off topic, but I've also loved the dialogue choices I've had when talking to my companions about each other. Like,

telling Tharan that Qyzen would be a good choice to sign his academic form. Or telling Nadia that Tharan knows about us, but probably will keep his mouth shut.

Walking around with Khem Val you feel feared and even respected. Walking around with Qyzen I feel like I found someone's drooling child at a fair and need to find his mom. His personality is interesting so far (only level 12), but the way he *looks* is awful. I was surprised when I only got gear for him before leaving Tython and no character customizations.

I do not like the Sith Assassin spam lightning at all, but idk if I can handle these companions! The one female romance option I have sill be the same class as me, which I'm not a big fan of either!

Edited by shamrockjew

I love Nadia and Qyzen. I feel Zenith is a well written character, but his and my consular's opinions are pretty opposed. Iresso is just kinda there as the token black guy with zero personality. I hate Tharan. I wish I could kill him. I hate him more than I hate the ship droid. Almost as bad as Morrigan from DA:O.

Here are my characterizations:

Qyzen: Red-necked Heathen

Zenith: Mr. Personality

Iresso: Captain Amnesia/Generic Soldier boy/Othello/token black guy

Holiday: Comic relief

Tharan: ***** Science Nerd

Nadia: Little Miss Innocence

Edited by Ellisande

after i got them all i kinda felt down. For the first thirty levels we only get three people then its bame zenith, bame the Lt then bame Nadia. I felt the Lt what's his face was kinda tossed aside. after talking to him i kinda wanted to toss him anyway.

but what about the later levels...

on voss and bel there are two other by far more interesting people join your ship that have awesome personalities - granted one looks like a rat on legs but still.

I thought we were going to have choice as to who we could have on our ship....i kinda wanted the Jawa after i found out about him but will not play empire. I kinda wanted a say as too what builds they would be too...i kinda wished nadia would be a tank or healer - damn as a sage four out of six skill tree options are damage.

Personality-wise, he was a bit of a jerk. He never liked my light side choices unless they were about killing things for scores,and he was basically a braggart. I couldn`t stand how he kept judging people for being weak, when he couldn't do much of anything solo without me there to save his skin. I just found this a bit too 2-dimensional for character development when what he went through on Typhon should have taught him some compassion for others.

Well on the plus side you can always have a dark side hot flash and turn him into a great set of boots

I'm very disappointed with the companions so far.

I find Qyzen's mechanical quirks (delays, always in the way, EMP burst) unbearably frustrating, but as a seer I feel stuck with him. I also don't care for his personality whatsoever. I had hope when he first joined, maybe his Tython experience would humble him. Instead I lose affection points left and right every time I help, attempt diplomacy with, or forgive someone. It may be only a -1 at a time, but it is *annoying.* Did they really think I'd be okay with Wookie hunting? Qyzen's a monster.

Tharan, I really wanted to like, but I can't. At least when Qyzen gibbers things incessantly I can't understand them. I imagine this will be an ongoing issue with any companion that speaks basic, but I just want them to shut up. He does have a creepy Lothario thing going, yet between his fey voice and rainbow scarf, I think he's overcompensating. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's a glass closet, Mary, we can *see* you in there.

Holiday makes me really uncomfortable. I realize they were probably playing to target demographic, but I hate how most females in this game seem to be designed as compliant, adolescent fantasy moe spank fodder. It's gross.

That's as far as I've gotten, so far, but I have little hope for the future. I love my consular, I despise my companions. I'd throw every single one of them out of the airlock for my friend's T7. I wish we could design our own companions or at least respec the ones we find least annoying to suit our needs.

Edited by Jairec

I love my lizard. He's a straightforward chap and doesn't annoy me with his incessant chatter. He's also incredibly overprotective of my healer-spec'd sage. I agree utterly on Theran, I can't stand his creepiness. My duo-buddy uses him a lot (works well with a Shadow) and I use Qyzen or very recently, Zenith. Zenith I like and at 37, haven't yet met the romanceable option.

Zenith hits like a truck right now which is useful with duoing with my Shadow friend but solo, Qyzen works better for me.

Please can I airlock C2?

Anyway, I have a Scoundrel and <3 Corso, so I'm happy enough there!

You can only romance one companion choice per gender. For female toons, it's Iresso and for male toons, it's Nadia.

You're right, about her student status, however I imagine subservience in a padawan is more sith-y than jedi-y which seem to be more mentors than literal masters.

I'm not sure how it is for Consular, since I haven't played it yet, but I believe some classes have multiple choices for love interests. The male Sith Warrior, for instance, has two choices, as does the female bounty hunter.