So, Crisis On Umbara, You Say . . .

t-darko

Umbara, known in Canon as the "Shadow world". A planet located in the Expansion Region. I don't know what to expect but, however, my expectations are High. I hope this is the moment we return to Star Wars as we know and love it. Well I know it's gonna be a Flashpoint, suspect and hope that it have all the modes we gotten used to.

In Canon we know the planet from the Clone Wars series; "Darkness on Umbara", "The General", "Plan of Dissent", and "Carnage of Krell"

If we turn to Legend and look at Umbara we got an even more exciting taste of what might come, and I dare say, makes my expectations even Higher. Umbara was the birth planet of Darth Ruin, where the Dark Brotherhood founded a Sith Academy. Well I know that is all set in around 1000 BBY and we're still lingering in around 3630 BBY. But still, there must been a reason as why the Dark Brotherhood did chose Umbara and it would be great if we get to play out that reason . . .

Ahh well, I'm day dreaming, or hoping rather, as I said, that this is the moment we return to Star Wars Story Gangnam Style ;)

Edited by t-darko

So long as it's not another Dark, Murky world... ( it was in CW) unless they do it really atmospheric with stuff to make you jump....

DK, Taris ( Empire) Darvannis, Zakuul swamp, to name but a few....Dark, dank, gloomy depressing.... Personally, I like sunshine-y places.:D

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I, for one, am looking forward to a dark, gloomy world! Going through the caverns in TFB (Asation) the other day, I remarked how similar the flora/atmosphere was to James Cameron's Pandora ("Avatar"), and hope to see a similar aesthetic on Umbara : )

I am hoping we don't get Star Wars as we know and love it solely due to that means dull and boring to me. I want them to do something we don't know and don't love yet. The films already repave the same road enough for me. Novels used to repave it some more and this game open with the same road being worked on again. Its a major reason I liked the last two expansions, it was different if somewhat familiar ground. Just not familiar to Star Wars of what little I've consumed over the years. So I'd like for them to go beyond the tried and true. Iokath is already a bit disappointing for striving so hard to get back to where we started. I hope that Umbara doesn't continue the trend. I'd like them to attempt something new again within the universe.

I had hoped the Alliance would be more influential than its turning out to be. We've basically put on the familiar yoke of working for one of the factions. They talk that we're sort of like partners but so far, I'd say we're doing whatever the Republic or Empire wishes and not what we wish. I haven't seen any talk of destroying the superweapon because its too dangerous for anyone to possess. Instead we're after it to keep the Empire or Republic in check like we will not destroy it but might even have plans to use it. Though we believe it should be destroyed. I'm sure it will be but I'm starting to think it won't be because we choose to destroy it. Maybe an option but that thing is going to malfunction or something of that nature.

With Umbara, I'd like to see some personal crisis that is just on Umbara. Perhaps initiated by it. But personal for us and our companions. Perhaps even driving the some apart before coming back together. A need to see how great our power is and how useless. Hopefully not another world destroying weapon that we race to retrieve before the bad guys or before its use. Since I like to think of my character a team with Lana and Theron, that's where I'd like to focus but I know others want their originals back so hopefully we get those back and then get to decide who makes up our personal team from that point on since I don't want to lose my favorites either. But I'm bracing for disappointment in that regard. I never got that close to my originals, well one so I need T7 to stay too :)

Expectations are probably going to be too high to ever reach.

So long as it's not another Dark, Murky world... ( it was in CW) unless they do it really atmospheric with stuff to make you jump....

DK, Taris ( Empire) Darvannis, Zakuul swamp, to name but a few....Dark, dank, gloomy depressing.... Personally, I like sunshine-y places.:D

You won't get any colourful planets anymore.

The video game culture currently *heaviuly* prefers what I call "heavy metal" style : Dark, grim,. death and hopelessness everywhere, huge bosses, treason injures verywhere ... And everything is SO MUCH dark, because of this simple equation :

"Colourful = Childish".

And which gamer who wants to evoke an image of being a cool, professional gamer would openly admit that he or she prefers colourful worlds ? He or she would get vote-kicked instantly. Why ? Because everyone would assume then that this gamer is a 12 year old child ...

No, no, no. If you want to be cool and invincible, then you've got to DESPISE colourfulness ! You must say "I get SICK from colours !" You must do as if you would vomit if exposed to an colourful video game ! And the titles of the games you openly admit to play must include words like "war", "dark", "demon", "honour","soul", "lost", "crime", "metal" and so on ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

No, no, no. If you want to be cool and invincible, then you've got to DESPISE colourfulness ! You must say "I get SICK from colours !" You must do as if you would vomit if exposed to an colourful video game ! And the titles of the games you openly admit to play must include words like "war", "dark", "demon", "honour","soul", "lost", "crime", "metal" and so on ...

Well, that explains all the Edge Lord names...

Edited by kodrac

• 2 weeks later...

The video game culture currently *heaviuly* prefers what I call "heavy metal" style : Dark, grim,. death and hopelessness everywhere, huge bosses, treason injures verywhere ... And everything is SO MUCH dark, because of this simple equation :

"Colourful = Childish".

And which gamer who wants to evoke an image of being a cool, professional gamer would openly admit that he or she prefers colourful worlds ? He or she would get vote-kicked instantly. Why ? Because everyone would assume then that this gamer is a 12 year old child ...

I'll tell you to get those alderaan sound of musics out of my face as soon as any other Imp mainer, but the darkness is becoming a bit caricatured, lately. Hopefully after Umbara, comes Geonosis.

As far as Umbara goes, my biggest hope is that the latest rumor about who the traitor is turns out to be untrue or only part of the story. If it does end up being who people say it is, and only that person, it's not going to sit well with a lot of people.

I also hope that the writing is a bit better and more thought out. I'm looking forward to seeing where things go, and a new flashpoint. I think the planet itself has the potential to be a pretty cool. I'm not sure how I feel about the new stronghold. I'll probably make it a moving military base or something like that.

Colour is bad, we want more shades of dark blue and brown.

I forgot what colour was while playing in the Imp side.

I almost had a seizure the first time I went to Nar Shadaa.

Hoth is so bright that it actually hurts my eyes !

As for other posts, I don't particularly want to go back to emp vrs pub either.

Im guessing a lot havent read the books if they dont feel like the alliance is star warsy enough. An alliance is exactly what happens in the books post movies woth Mon Mothma in the lead and eventually later, Leia and that happened because MM was poisoned, basically an assasination attempt on her.

Theres plenty of things in the SW universe, movies and books that felt like pretty corny writing to me. Like them all ending up accidentally in the same places at the same time etc.. winning battles due to pure blind luck and what not. Theres also tons of manipulation, backstabbing politics and the like.

Hmmmmm Umbara, according to the time line, Korriban was the academy at the time of the old republic, Umbra didn't come til like 2000 years after base of game. If they brought Umbara into game, there may be nothing there as yet.

"Colourful = Childish".

Actually, anytime I run across anyone who has this attitude, I assume that they're a 12-year-old. 'Cause real grown-ups don't give a damn about what other gamers think. (And I say this from the perspective of a mother of a 12-year-old.)

We already have a dark and gloomy planet, it is called Dromund Kaas.

That temple place you go to at the end of DK is pretty glooomy, also creepy whispers and stuff. Then theres the dark heart on Voss.

Taris wasnt super gloomy but it wasn't exactly sunshine and roses either, not like Alderaan. Quesh was just.. odd.

I like planets that mix it up, which would be fairly standard I think !

No reason a single planet couldnt have all biomes... kinda like say.. earth.

Swamp. Caves. Snow. Grass. Volcanoes. Desert. Gloomy ruins. And so on.

Personally I dont m ind 'pretty' at all. I also like happy endings. I like dark inbetween, angst and what not but I hate sad endings, life can be crappy enough without my entertainment leaving off with a bad taste in my mouth.

Im not afraid to say it.

Edited by Suzsi

I really hope that the Crisis on Umbara will have a very strong Empire vs Republic feel because it's been gone for too long and the story has suffered because of it in my opinion. Sith vs Jedi, Republic vs Empire that is the core of Star Wars The Old Republic, it's the conflict that should have always remained the focus of the story. I wouldn't have minded minor factions like the Hutt Cartel in RotHC vying for power or the Revanites threatening both factions in SoR, but bringing in the overpowered Eternal Empire with it's godmode Eternal Fleet was a grand fiasco if you ask me. Sure it was interesting at the start and I wouldn't have minded if they made Zakuul challenge both Republic and Empire, have a three faction war with a possible new class that was solely playable in the Eternal Empire faction as a new playable one, but what we got now? Empire and Republic being simply wrecked by a seriously overpowered faction that is overpowered for no logical reason? Bah!

I was so happy they took the story back to Empire vs Republic with Iokath but it wasn't enough. I really hope they'll continue to bring back more of the good old narratives from the original game, classic Empire vs Republic so that we may one day completely abandon this abominable Eternal Alliance and forget it ever existed!

In the (slightly altered) words of Aloysius Kallig: I hunger for the day the story of this game will be restored to glory.

Edited by Ylliarus

I really hope that the Crisis on Umbara will have a very strong Empire vs Republic feel because it's been gone for too long and the story has suffered because of it in my opinion. Sith vs Jedi, Republic vs Empire that is the core of Star Wars The Old Republic, it's the conflict that should have always remained the focus of the story. I wouldn't have minded minor factions like the Hutt Cartel in RotHC vying for power or the Revanites threatening both factions in SoR, but bringing in the overpowered Eternal Empire with it's godmode Eternal Fleet was a grand fiasco if you ask me. Sure it was interesting at the start and I wouldn't have minded if they made Zakuul challenge both Republic and Empire, have a three faction war with a possible new class that was solely playable in the Eternal Empire faction as a new playable one, but what we got now? Empire and Republic being simply wrecked by a seriously overpowered faction that is overpowered for no logical reason? Bah!

I was so happy they took the story back to Empire vs Republic with Iokath but it wasn't enough. I really hope they'll continue to bring back more of the good old narratives from the original game, classic Empire vs Republic so that we may one day completely abandon this abominable Eternal Alliance and forget it ever existed!

In the (slightly altered) words of Aloysius Kallig: I hunger for the day the story of this game will be restored to glory.

i kinda liked it because zakuulian empire was nothing more than a second attempt of the immortal emperor (now valkorion) to consume the galaxy. star wars isn't just about sith vs jedi (ok that's the main theme of star wars) it's also about bringing down a madman that has to much power, i would love to see the immortal emperor return one last time. maybe it is he who's controlling the zions. I would love it that it is the immortal emperor himself that would lay the foundation for the darkside connection of umbara.

Edited by Mangoriat

bringing in the overpowered Eternal Empire with it's godmode Eternal Fleet was a grand fiasco if you ask me.

Actually, Zakuul is exactly like the Sith on KOTOR, giant armada who came out of nowhere, Revan and Malak went for a walk and came back with a new superempire with infinite resources.

Actually, Zakuul is exactly like the Sith on KOTOR, giant armada who came out of nowhere.

It was downloaded from torrents! Purchased from E-bay! Bought and assembled from IKEA ! :D:D:D Kidding.

Zakuul was the love child of Mr. Vitiate, who stole it from Mr. Valkorion , while the Sith Empire & the Galactic Republic were the Cinderellas.