Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Refer-a-Friend Program

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ceryxp
04.24.2021 , 08:08 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by ShardTosk View Post
--snipped pointless drivel--
The biggest difference between you and I as that I do not care that we, the people who make our referral link known, are losing the free CC's. My primary concern was always the loss of the bundles and 7-days of premium time. Your concern is clearly that you will now lose out on all those free CC's, with which you likely buy hypercrates and sell for far more than you hand out in free credits.

Did I buy hypercrates with my free CC's. Absolutely. Then I would open them, keep what I wanted, and then sell the rest on the GTN for cheap or give away for free on the starter worlds.

I guess we know which one of us is the Sith in this equation.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
We can argue about this, till the cows come home, it's not going to change anything...
Agreed. This change is happening. It is a pity that BW chose to kill it rather than reform it, and it is unlikely that we will see a replacement, but the silver lining is that the chat link spammers and the thread necro link spammers will also die with the program.
~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
Just your average opinionated, disabled, queer gaymer.

Darev
04.24.2021 , 08:16 AM | #102
I totally missed that this was happening. My self imposed vacation from the forums has led me to missing some news like this.

When it first started, it was a cool novelty of a system. Invite 5 friends, get some cool stuff, including a mount that made it more difficult to get knocked off of. It was ugly, but functional. I think it was default Mount speed 3 too, regardless of training. Can't be sure, that was a LONG time ago.

Then they started attaching CC and giving the "friend" a bunch of mostly useless stuff. The idea is to create a subscriber, and all of the unlocks you get as a subscriber. The CC items they get to activate them are bound so they can't sell them...the only useful one was the inventory unlock...it saves you a whopping 250k if you use it on the last slot.
Now...250k per character...that adds up if you make TONS of alts.

You also used to get a free server transfer. Which was useful when there were a lot of servers.
Now I'm not even sure that part of this even still works.

6-12 months ago people were spamming, trying to buy "friends" for 4-8 million.
in the last 6 months I've seen up to 50 or 60 million.

What???

the rewards didn't change.

People found a better way to scam the system.

I don't know what it is, but it must work, and it must be in the established rules, and the devs clearly don't like it.
Hence the change.

In my opinion they should gut the whole thing, doing what they're doing, and go a step further and stop any recurring grants.

Leaving a bad system in place (why change it otherwise) and just closing the door on new people being allowed to participate is a REALLY BAD DECISION.
Don't just say "Prove me wrong" State your sources & back up your own statement first.
PVP: annoy the other side's players so much that 3-4 of them focus on killing me.

ShardTosk
04.24.2021 , 08:38 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
Did I buy hypercrates with my free CC's. Absolutely. Then I would open them, keep what I wanted, and then sell the rest on the GTN for cheap or give away for free on the starter worlds.
Which shows how honest your arguments are. You know how much hypercrates are, you know how much cc a click gets you, and you can see what I give out, yet you say I'm selling hypercrates and getting more credits than I give out.

You on the otherhand are buying hypercrates and giving out bupkis How are you affording multiple hypercrates anyway? they're 5.4k a pop, that would wipe out more than half of my cc. Are you secretly a link spammer?
If you were happy about referrals ending you can't complain about the economy.
(•)≡ǁ/////ǁ(₪)ǁǁ[██████████████████████████████)

Darev
04.24.2021 , 08:40 AM | #104
They can't just cut people off, as the system in place stated that as long as x is a sub, you will get the reward. Cutting it off could cause issues (maybe even legal issues, not sure as I'm not trained in that) but with them stopping it now, and putting it on a sunset (or whatever terms was used), they'll probably phase it out, as people stop subbing, or maybe when it goes to a certain point, they give a bonus lot, then cut it off.

They need a ref program, because it's what brings people in to the game, or better yet, it gets old players to return for a bit. Helps pref players get a week of a sub, and some do get drawn back in and sub. Not all, but some.
They should have kept to the mounts, droids, and added to that, instead of the cc's
You're probably right with the possible legal issue.
Don't just say "Prove me wrong" State your sources & back up your own statement first.
PVP: annoy the other side's players so much that 3-4 of them focus on killing me.

ceryxp
04.24.2021 , 08:59 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by ShardTosk View Post
You on the otherhand are buying hypercrates and giving out bupkis How are you affording multiple hypercrates anyway? they're 5.4k a pop, that would wipe out more than half of my cc. Are you secretly a link spammer?
Except for the free stuff I hand out on the starter worlds.

And how am I buying multiple hypercrates? Because every few months I spend a hundred dollars on CCs in addition to the 700 per month I receive for my sub and security key. Would you like to see my transaction history?

They need a ref program, because it's what brings people in to the game, or better yet, it gets old players to return for a bit. Helps pref players get a week of a sub, and some do get drawn back in and sub. Not all, but some.
They should have kept to the mounts, droids, and added to that, instead of the cc's
Completely agree.
~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
Just your average opinionated, disabled, queer gaymer.

xVahlax
04.24.2021 , 11:03 AM | #106
I see this is making a lot of people upset...which sucks, I can only hope whatever is replacing it will make people happy, or be worth it. Ive said it before, I'll say it again. SWTOR has become FashionTOR lol

OddballEasyEight
04.25.2021 , 04:59 AM | #107
Damn... I'm gonna have to update my sig...

Haven't done that in yeeeeeeeaaars...
Kinda feels wrong
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

DarkestMicheal
04.25.2021 , 01:39 PM | #108
Another dumb decision, this program is what kept bringing back people, they'd get a free week, and be hooked again.
Even if they didn't sub, a lot came back and played as preffs, then eventually subbed. The reasons for a lot of us to sub have become less, and less. Someone joked once that BW was trying to kill of this game.....it's not funny anymore.
My cookies are nearly out, and with everything else going on in the forums, and game, etc. it's time to walk away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzMSfaNXYZg
Some people here must be related to mods, they get away with everything

Tofu_Shark
04.26.2021 , 03:08 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
Firstly, that payment is only a benefit if it actually happens, and as we have seen scamming on that front has been rampant. Further, if actually delivered, that payment does not compare to the benefit that the referrer receives. Second, that was never the purpose of the program. It was intended to give new players a jumpstart when starting out and give preferred players a way to jump back into the game.

If the rewards to the referrer had always and only been cosmetic are you saying that you would not have bothered with giving out referrals? If so then that says more about you than me. On more than one occasion I have explained to people how to get the most from the program, and I did so without any expectation of gain on my part. I would have done so even if the rewards for the referrer stopped after the mount and mini-pets, were purely cosmetic, or even just a pat on the head.

Frankly, although I am disappointed at the loss of the bundles and the premium time, if ending the program puts an end to the chat spam from the people fishing for clicks then so be it.
Well said! Sadly, money is the only language many people understand.

They can't just cut people off, as the system in place stated that as long as x is a sub, you will get the reward. Cutting it off could cause issues (maybe even legal issues, not sure as I'm not trained in that) but with them stopping it now, and putting it on a sunset (or whatever terms was used), they'll probably phase it out, as people stop subbing, or maybe when it goes to a certain point, they give a bonus lot, then cut it off.

Quote: Originally Posted by Darev View Post
You're probably right with the possible legal issue.

If someone sued over that, then they obviously have plenty of money to spend on CC and are being a miser. The purpose of the sunset is to gradually let people down. You see the outrage in this thread over that alone. The speeder and pet rewards should've stayed, but the grandfathered CC rewards should not stay for long.
MMOs are supposed to add content, not remove content: *Galactic Map - 3D planet models, satellites, and home stars or mother planets shown, similar to Mass Effect's map, *Tython Captured Padawans - dead Padawan in cage missing that triggers mission *Advanced Class NPCs *etc., etc., etc.

TrixxieTriss
04.26.2021 , 05:33 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Tofu_Shark View Post
If someone sued over that, then they obviously have plenty of money to spend on CC and are being a miser. The purpose of the sunset is to gradually let people down. You see the outrage in this thread over that alone. The speeder and pet rewards should've stayed, but the grandfathered CC rewards should not stay for long.
Sadly, there will still be people who have 10’s thousands of CCs still coming in from the sunset. I read on discord that swtorista has something like 2 million CC’s. Wether that’s true or not, I can’t say. But I could imagine the major influences all have massive amounts of CC’s from referrals and will continue to get many residual CC’s unless bioware cut the sunset early. It’s just another case of the haves and the have nots.

And to be clear, I’m not complaining they have them or even complaining Bioware are doing what they are doing. Just pointing out that this change will have no affect on those sorts of players who’ve had a following in swtor. While newer players of players who’ve never bothered with the referral program will have no opportunity to try it out now.

At the end of the day, this change is going to severely impact the games economy and GTN.