Darth Bane

I know this is skipping ahead roughly 2000 years from the game, but I have to get others opinions. Do you believe Darth Bane won against Darth Zannah for control of her body, and is it possible Lord Sidious, emperor Palpatine, is actually Darth Bane's essence continuing down the line?

Obviously you didn't read the book properly. Bane learned the ritual of essence transfer, which allows you to take over the body of another and destroy who they are if your will is greater. This means he could continually do this if he remaind strongest of the sith, which he always has been. It hints at the idea that he won the mental battle when it states that "Zannah" was continually clenching her left hand after Bane's physical form disappeared.

Obviously you didn't read the book properly. Bane learned the ritual of essence transfer, which allows you to take over the body of another and destroy who they are if your will is greater. This means he could continually do this if he remaind strongest of the sith, which he always has been. It hints at the idea that he won the mental battle when it states that "Zannah" was continually clenching her left hand after Bane's physical form disappeared.

Well if its only hinted, and not proven then as of now. He didn't.

Palpatine continued to the Rule of Two line by studying Banes rules, and by keeping the Sith tradition live on. And also, Bane lost, completely. Even though the Rule of Two says that the apprentice will become the master, it should not happen.

But Bane didn't master it. Palps is canonically the only Sith to have mastered Essence Transfer.

And Drew stated on his blog that Bane lost...

I know this is skipping ahead roughly 2000 years from the game, but I have to get others opinions. Do you believe Darth Bane won against Darth Zannah for control of her body, and is it possible Lord Sidious, emperor Palpatine, is actually Darth Bane's essence continuing down the line?

Bane lost. Maybe something from his essence rubbed off on Zannah, but Zannah was a smart cookie who'd known Bane nearly her entire life and had been groomed by Bane himself to one day kill him. A mental intrusion against a Sith sorcerer? You might as well try fighting a wolf using nothing but your teeth. That was a last, desperate move that sealed his fate. Zannah won.

Palpatine continued to the Rule of Two line by studying Banes rules, and by keeping the Sith tradition live on. And also, Bane lost, completely. Even though the Rule of Two says that the apprentice will become the master, it should not happen.

Off topic: Palpatine was NOT following the Rule of Two. At least, not when he became Emperor. To him an apprentice was more enforcer than predecessor. He purposely gimped Vader with a cyborg body to cripple his power enough so he wouldn't pose a serious threat to Palpatine. After the Republic fell Palpatine's main goal became, for lack of a better term, unlimited power. First step, he had to live long enough to get that.

Vader followed the Rule of Two better than Palpatine in training Starkiller, though I'm not even sure he was even aware of the rule. He just got cold feet when Palpatine found out about him.

Off topic: Palpatine was NOT following the Rule of Two. At least, not when he became Emperor. To him an apprentice was more enforcer than predecessor. He purposely gimped Vader with a cyborg body to cripple his power enough so he wouldn't pose a serious threat to Palpatine. After the Republic fell Palpatine's main goal became, for lack of a better term, unlimited power. First step, he had to live long enough to get that.

Vader followed the Rule of Two better than Palpatine in training Starkiller, though I'm not even sure he was even aware of the rule. He just got cold feet when Palpatine found out about him.

No... the point of the Ro2 is to wipe out the Jedi and Republic. Palps got that goal so he had every right to do whatever he wanted.

Karpyshyn himself stated Bane lost the mental duel and was cast into the abyss of the Dark Side.

This is proven further by his spirit being conjured by Darth Krayt later on.

Sidious was a very powerful man before Plagueis even found him, He was his own man, simple.

Someone asked this a long time ago and had it worded the exact same way you do, was that you? Anyways, no, Drew Karpyshyn said that Darth Bane lost, the twitching hand at the end was only meant to show that the failed essence transfer gave Zannah some of Banes traits.

Edited by Tuscad

Palpatine followed the Rule of Two in the sense that there is a master and an apprentice, however as you said he purposefully gimped Vader. In my opinion Palpatine followed the Rule of Two loosely and bent it to suit his needs as a true Sith does with anything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Darth Sidious didn't continue ****. He used Maul, Dooku... Who in turn used Ventress and Greivous. I think if you read the end of the Bane series correct... There is NO DOUBT Bane completed the essence transfer. BUT no I don't think his line continues as far as Plagues.

Darth Sidious didn't continue ****. He used Maul, Dooku... Who in turn used Ventress and Greivous. I think if you read the end of the Bane series correct... There is NO DOUBT Bane completed the essence transfer. BUT no I don't think his line continues as far as Plagues.

Bane did NOT complete the transfer. I don't know how anyone could get the impression Bane won. Zannah clearly defeated him. Karpyshyn even said so himself. BANE LOST!. A piece of him was left imprinted on Zannah, but she won the fight.

Speaking of cheating death - nice two and a half year Necro with this thread, that's legitimately impressive.

And no, he didn't complete the transfer, some little piece of his psyche may have crossed over and touched her mind, leaving a faint bit of his personality in her psyche (even to the point that a piece of him may have 'survived' in a sense), but she was still Zannah.

Don't believe me? Here's the author himself saying so straightforward and apologizing for any confusion since he didn't realize/intend people would read what he wrote as implying Bane won: link.

[...]when Zannah proclaims “Darth Bane is gone. I am Darth Zannah, Dark Lord of the Sith and your new Master,” I thought it would be pretty clear.[...]

[...]I never wanted people to assume Bane had taken over Zannah’s body successfully.[...]

[...]Bane WANTED a stronger successor to overthrow him; the only reason he learned the ritual was because he needed to prolong his life if Zannah proved to be weak. Yet somehow people made the jump that Bane not only took over Zannah’s body, but was then hiding the fact from Cognus in order to later take over her body… possibly in a line all the way down to Sidious himself. (That is NOT what I was trying to imply, but a lot of readers went there.)

I’m not sure where this all comes from; I don’t think Bane I ever portrayed Bane as someone who wanted to hide in the dark and steal the fresh bodies of his unsuspecting apprentices so he could live forever even if he didn’t deserve it. That would kind of go against everything I built up about him through the three novels.[...]

[...]So, there it is. Zannah won – Bane tried to possess her and failed.[...]

Edited by DarthDymond

Err... what? How did he "purposefully gimp Vader"? Was he behind Obi-wan whispering 'cut off all his limbs'?

Sidious straight up told Yoda "Darth Vader will become more powerful then either of us." So no, he didn't gimp anything.

In Plagueis, it is mentioned that they're seeking immortality and if they attain it the Rule of Two would be obsolete (at least as far Sith propagation went). And Palpatine is bending it at best with training Maul and Tyrannus at the same time (unless you make the case that they were minions all along- Maul certainly was). But even though he's seeking immortality Sidious never outright breaks it. Say Vader hadn't been gimped. Even in that case, if Sidious became immortal the Rule of Two would still hold as Vader wouldn't eclipse him in power.