Bolster in 2021

JordOfOz

I’ve recently got back into playing some PvP after a long time away from the game and been experimenting a bit with bolster in under 75 warzones and trying to figure out how to maximise my in-warzone stats.

There are a few old posts out there with some recommendations but nothing I could find that was current (happy to be pointed to one if I’ve missed it).

In the interests of generating some discussion and seeing if other people have similar experiences, here are some of the things that seem to me to be true:

1. Datacrons provide a one for one increase in stats (e.g. if you get a +4 to mastery datacron, your total stats in a warzone will have +4 mastery than they otherwise would have).
  2. The first power crystal provides a one for one increase in stats.
  3. The second power crystal provides a less than one for one increase (e.g. if you have +41 mastery as your secondary crystal, you get slightly less than +41 to mastery in a warzone than you otherwise would)
  4. Stims provide a less than one for one increase in stats.
  5. I got mixed results switching equivalent level green mods for blues and purples. Sometimes equivalent level greens would be better, others not. The difference was slight though.
  6. If my mods were more than about 10-15 levels lower than my character level, my bolstered stats decreased.
  7. The best way to increase secondary stats (e.g. crit) seems to be to have the secondary stat in all item slots.
  8. Amplifiers did not work like I suspected. Inserting purple armorings with +Tech Wiz, for example, reduced my overall tech damage and crit chance as against green armorings just a few levels below my character level.
  9. The conventional wisdom used to be that your main hand weapon was not bolstered. This no longer seems to be true.
  10. Having empty gear slots (or mod slots) really hurts your stats.

I’m assuming your talking about bolster on the new lowbie bracket (10–74)? If so, I really wouldn’t be too worried about it as the stats are pretty close for everyone.

There is really only one rule you need to be worried about and that is don’t add augments of any lvl if you aren’t lvl 75 yet.

Why? Because bolster automatically gives you a 274 mastery augment equivalent in stats if you have nothing equiped (this is true for lvl 75 too). So if you were to put any other augment lower than 274 (which isn’t available pre lvl 75), you are nerfing your potential stats.

In all honesty, I use lvl 10-18 stat gear for pvp until I can buy the Ossus set bonus gear at lvl 70. The only thing I constantly upgrade is my main hand weapon because of how it contributes to your damage.

Another tip to maximise output is to use amplifiers. While these aren’t really needed in lowbies, they can contribute the same as they do at lvl 75. But it can get expensive if you are rolling on them.

The way I set up my lowbies gear is as follows.

I crafted my own lvl 10-18 armorings till I got a collection of the gold amp Armoring to choose from (I sold the rest on the GTN). Then I made whole sets for Weapon Expertise, Armor Penetration, Force Sensitivity, Periodic Intensity and Alpha Strike.

So I have 5x Legacy bound sets I leave in my legacy hold. I can then pick the set I need for each specific class and put it back when I finish pvping.

How does the Main Hand weapon contribute to damage? Perhaps I am doing it wrong but upgrading the hilt on a MH weapon does not seem to influrence the stats on my character sheet.

Same goes for amplifiers, at least for me. When I do a direct compare between, in the example I used in the OP, Tech Wiz, my overall tech damage, crit chance and multi go down.

How does the Main Hand weapon contribute to damage? Perhaps I am doing it wrong but upgrading the hilt on a MH weapon does not seem to influrence the stats on my character sheet.

Same goes for amplifiers, at least for me. When I do a direct compare between, in the example I used in the OP, Tech Wiz, my overall tech damage, crit chance and multi go down.

Cause main hand is ignored by bolster.

Ok, which op spec are you using. You only want to use Tech Wiz for Concealment and periodic intense for lethality.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Cause main hand is ignored by bolster.

Ok, which op spec are you using. You only want to use Tech Wiz for Concealment and periodic intense for lethality.

I am playing concealment.

I think that the Amplifiers aren't shown correctly on the character sheet.

Here's a shot of me at the bolsterizer with all purple armorings with 1% Tech Wiz https://i.postimg.cc/SsQBFNcs/1-P-Tech-Wiz.jpg

Here's a shot having replaced the purple 60 Tech Wiz armoring with a purple 60 Force Protection armoring https://i.postimg.cc/fTXDvyCn/1p-FP.jpg

I am playing concealment.

I think that the Amplifiers aren't shown correctly on the character sheet.

Here's a shot of me at the bolsterizer with all purple armorings with 1% Tech Wiz https://i.postimg.cc/SsQBFNcs/1-P-Tech-Wiz.jpg

Here's a shot having replaced the purple 60 Tech Wiz armoring with a purple 60 Force Protection armoring https://i.postimg.cc/fTXDvyCn/1p-FP.jpg

Yeah, don’t pay any attention to that. Its how they perform that matters

bolster automatically gives you a 274 mastery augment equivalent in stats if you have nothing equiped (this is true for lvl 75 too). So if you were to put any other augment lower than 274 (which isn’t available pre lvl 75), you are nerfing your potential stats.

Interesting. So you're telling me having an empty augmentation slot will provide more mastery than having a <274 mastery augment?

Does this only work when an augmentation kit is applied (i.e. empty augment slot), or also without augment kit applied on the equipment? Furthermore, is the Mk- of the slot relevant with regards to how much it will be bolstered?

Thanks.

Edited by sGroggy

Interesting. So you're telling me having an empty augmentation slot will provide more mastery than having a <274 mastery augment?

Does this only work when an augmentation kit is applied (i.e. empty augment slot), or also without augment kit applied on the equipment? Furthermore, is the Mk- of the slot relevant with regards to how much it will be bolstered?

Thanks.

Empty will provide the same as the 274 mastery augment, not more. You don’t need to put an augment kit on for it to work. So no, the mk- augment slot doesn’t matter cause you don’t need a kit.

Empty will provide the same as the 274 mastery augment, not more. You don’t need to put an augment kit on for it to work. So no, the mk- augment slot doesn’t matter cause you don’t need a kit.

All right, thanks for the intel. Started playing again a little while ago after being absent for 6 years or so. Was planning on slapping my old augments in some Mk-10 slots, until I bought new ones. But this means I definitely should not do this :p.