GSF Forums Shorthand/Abbreviation Guide

Drakkolich

Awesome .. oh and another one:

The Hot Dog = SGS-S1 Condor

:cool:

It's bad enough that "Boy Bomber" and "Girl Bomber" have been canonized (were Dronecarrier and Minelayer not explicit enough?). Do we really need every pet name listed? At some point we're not making shorthand--we're just making obfuscation.

I call my S2E build the "Lancer"--Eclipse Squadron members called it that and soon it spread to be used across TEH. But that doesn't mean I want or expect new players to use or understand that terminology.

Awesome .. oh and another one:

The Hot Dog = SGS-S1 Condor

:cool:

Heh heh. I've actually heard this one on a few servers too. It is a nickname, not a shorthand, however, and I've not heard type 3 gunships as "hotdogs", just Condors. I mean, lets be real: you all know what we call the Ocula, and we'd never dream of smearing the real battle scouts with that name.

Also note that certain terms such as "rail sniper" and "battle scout" are used by the community, they are actually a result of datamining initially, and exposed on the PTS later. These are internal game terms. Some of them ended up being less descriptive and weren't embraced by the community, but these specific terms predate the GSF forums.

These are the "internal" terms. Note that datamining and linking to datamining will get you in trouble, so don't do that, but we did have other hook points for these names. Well, except the infiltrator names at the bottom :p

Type 1 Scout = Speed/Sensors Scout (I see this name used at times, normally as "speed scout")

Type 2 Scout = Battle Scout (common use)

Type 3 Scout = Support Scout (reasonably common use)

Type 1 Strike = Fighter Strike (you can see why this one didn't catch on, but internally it's the fighter)

Type 2 Strike = Attack Strike (a similar name to represent the heavier ordinance)

Type 3 Strike = Command Strike (this name is still used in the community)

Type 1 Gunship - Rail Sniper (this is used on forums, and rarely in game)

Type 2 Gunship - Missile Skiff (only seen this name online, in game it's the "sh***y gunship")

Type 3 Gunship - Attack Skiff (never seen it called attack skiff by a player)

Type 1 Bomber - Minelayer (definitely see boy bomber called this)

Type 2 Bomber - Drone Controller (girl bomber is often called "dronecarrier", never seen the 'controller' usage)

Type 3 Bomber - Fighter/Bomber (you can see why this name had a hard time sticking, despite being very descriptive)

And RIP Disabler, Ambusher, Combat Infiltrator :(

I call my S2E build the "Lancer"--Eclipse Squadron members called it that and soon it spread to be used across TEH. But that doesn't mean I want or expect new players to use or understand that terminology.

Right, but if it DID spread, we'd want someone to be able to look it up. Personally, I liked "Brave Sir Robin" for that build :p

Builds are normally somewhere in the Stasiepedia, at least the ones that have someone vouching for them, or a bunch of people naturally playing them. When I'm playing I'll normally call out stuff like "not running main gunship" or something like that- because my teammates know what I mean by "main gunship". But that's not a standard, or anything useful outside of that call (my build is similar to a standard type 1 gunship, but has extra speed instead of extra turning, and I'll often have two type 1 gunships queued up on super serious, with the other having extra turning or a snare ion or something else for a specific purpose).

But I think the general terms that people use have a place.

Right, but if it DID spread, we'd want someone to be able to look it up. Personally, I liked "Brave Sir Robin" for that build :p

Slight tangent, since you called out my baby :D

The build isn't about running away--at least that's not the primary function. The primary function is taking a DO from its spawn to within 5750m of multiple enemies as fast as possible. :)

When a bunch of Battlescouts are chasing me, unable to keep me in range, they may think, "Grr, Shayd keeps running away." That's never it at all. I'm just running to my next power-up or kill, and engaging the Battlescouts would be an inefficient use of my time, given my weapons.

In a game in which I am the only threat and am heavily focused, then it may benefit my team for me focus on leading chasers around and exhaust them of energy, which (hopefully) allows my team to get some traction. But even then, I'll usually swing back toward distracted foes in a wide loop, to score some damage (and hopefully kills) while I'm on the run.

It's basically a light cavalry. Flank target, rush inward and kill target, outrun retaliation, repeat. Hence the "Lancer" name, which is a term for light cavalry.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...