The needed PvP changes (Regs & Ranked)

SOULCASTER

I think implementing these proposed changes for PVP (listed below) would really turn PvP around for the better in SWTOR:

Regular Warzones (8v8)

- 8v8 Objective & Hutball Warzone maps only (arenas removed from queue).

- Solo or Groups of 2, 3 or 4 allowed to queue. (Same 1 tank 1 healer restrictions as live for groups).

- NO deserter penalty

- MATCH REWARDS: Gear Crates + Tech Frags

Arenas (4v4) (currently ''Solo Ranked" on live)

- 4v4 Arena's only

- NO ELO rating tied to this game type anymore. Think of it as practice/scrimmages

- Requires MAX gear rating

- Solo or Group of 4 only allowed to queue. (No 2s or 3s grouping. Same 1 tank 1 healer restrictions as live for teams).

- Deserter Penalty

- MATCH REWARDS: Gear Crates + Tech Frags + 'Arena Tokens'.

Ranked Arenas (Team 4v4s) (currently "Team Ranked" on live)

- 4v4 Arena's only

- ELO rating tied to wins/losses.

- Requires MAX gear rating.

- Only Group of 4 can queue

- MATCH REWARDS: Gear Crates + Tech Frags + 'Arena Tokens' + Ranked Tokens

SEASON END REWARDS & EXPLAINATION:

ARENA REWARDS, (Arena Tokens):

- PURCHASABLE: New Title for the season

- PURCHASABLE: 1 new Armor set & Weapons

- PURCHASABLE: Unique Flair (perhaps black/platinum with no fire animation, making it unique to arenas).

RANKED ARENA REWARDS, (Ranked Tokens):

- PURCHASABLE: Glowing versions of the armor and weapons above

- PURCHASABLE: 1 Unique mount for the season (but 3 variations: Plain, Armored and Armored + Glowing...with prices based off likelihood of ELO tiers).

- GIVEN, NOT PURCHASABLE: New unique Title given only to the 4 players on the top Team for the season.

- GIVEN, NOT PURCHASABLE: Bronze, Silver, Gold Flair given out based off your best ELO for the season.

So what I think this set up does, is gives all those who like 8v8s the chance to do so under the way things used to be. No arenas, no deserter penalty for warzones you may not like. Enjoy the game casually, while still getting gear and working towards the stepping stone of more competitive play: Arenas and Ranked Arenas.

For 4v4 Arenas, this gets rid of the CHAOS of solo ranked. Now "Solo Ranked" turns into Arena Scrimmages. You can solo queue and get a feel for arenas, get rewards for wins and losses, and/or have the chance to PRACTICE as a team of 4s for actual ranked arenas. This gives you the chance to try out new team compositions to take into Ranked Arenas, while still giving you unique tokens and rewards for this game type.

Team Ranked is then the top level of competition. It not only gives unique tokens/rewards but also regular arena tokens as well, to incentivize queuing for Team Ranked even more. It also will make the glowing season end flair more prestigious, as NOW, it will only be obtainable through Team Ranked. But, regular arena players who don't want to do team ranked can still get a unique flair themselves so they are not left out.

I honestly feel this is a win win all around. /shrug

Also, click the link in my sig to watch me stream PVP and NiM Raids in SWTOR :rak_03:

Edited by SOULCASTER

Not bad. But in conjunction with your suggestions, you could also add a rating to all pvp regardless of 8v8 or 4v4. If there had always been a rating for all pvp, less people would baulk at playing solos.

You can still have your top tier and your 8v8 rating, group rating would be different from your solo rating.

We all supposedly have a hidden reg ELO, just make it personally visible and it starts to desensitise people about ratings. Then you don’t need leader boards for the whole population, just the top 100 and if you are in the top 100, you are on the website boards. People who care can then strive to get their name on there.

Edit: they should also have objective tokens for rewards (like arena and team ranked). This would entice people to play to win instead of DMing.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I think implementing these proposed changes for PVP (listed below) would really turn PvP around for the better in SWTOR:

Regular Warzones (8v8)

- Solo or Groups of 2, 3 or 4 allowed to queue. (Same 1 tank 1 healer restrictions as live for groups).

- NO deserter penalty

- 4v4 Arena's only

- NO ELO rating tied to this game type anymore. Think of it as practice/scrimmages

- Solo or Group of 4 only allowed to queue. (No 2s or 3s grouping. Same 1 tank 1 healer restrictions as live for teams).

- Deserter Penalty

- 4v4 Arena's only

- PURCHASABLE: Unique Flair (perhaps black/platinum with no fire animation, making it unique to arenas).

- PURCHASABLE: 1 Unique mount for the season (but 3 variations: Plain, Armored and Armored + Glowing...with prices based off likelihood of ELO tiers).

- GIVEN, NOT PURCHASABLE: New unique Title given only to the 4 players on the top Team for the season.

- GIVEN, NOT PURCHASABLE: Bronze, Silver, Gold Flair given out based off your best ELO for the season.

So what I think this set up does, is gives all those who like 8v8s the chance to do so under the way things used to be. No arenas, no deserter penalty for warzones you may not like. Enjoy the game casually, while still getting gear and working towards the stepping stone of more competitive play: Arenas and Ranked Arenas.

For 4v4 Arenas, this gets rid of the CHAOS of solo ranked. Now "Solo Ranked" turns into Arena Scrimmages. You can solo queue and get a feel for arenas, get rewards for wins and losses, and/or have the chance to PRACTICE as a team of 4s for actual ranked arenas. This gives you the chance to try out new team compositions to take into Ranked Arenas, while still giving you unique tokens and rewards for this game type.

Team Ranked is then the top level of competition. It not only gives unique tokens/rewards but also regular arena tokens as well, to incentivize queuing for Team Ranked even more. It also will make the glowing season end flair more prestigious, as NOW, it will only be obtainable through Team Ranked. But, regular arena players who don't want to do team ranked can still get a unique flair themselves so they are not left out.

Also, click the link in my sig to watch me stream PVP and NiM Raids in SWTOR :rak_03:

Little does OP know that all Bioware has in store for us with the coming PVP changes is more Huttball pops and possibly a teleport/phase walk for Merc.

Can we have Huttball as a separate bracket? Solo and group version with its own rewards? I always wanted to know that feeling when everyone knows what to do in a HB match, maybe it would be so fun that people may just want to watch those matches.

Yea, I think it would be cool to have some in-game streaming service that will allow us to watch PVP matches from every player's perspective and from some in-map cameras (no one cares enough to search for those SWTOR pvp'ers 30+ sub Twitch accounts). Arenas, Huttball, any type. This can be very useful for the new players, and it can be fun for more experienced ones.

Edited by Voroschuk

Can we have Huttball as a separate bracket? Solo and group version with its own rewards? I always wanted to know that feeling when everyone knows what to do in a HB match, maybe it would be so fun that people may just want to watch those matches.

Yea, I think it would be cool to have some in-game streaming service that will allow us to watch PVP matches from every player's perspective and from some in-map cameras (no one cares enough to search for those SWTOR pvp'ers 30+ sub Twitch accounts). Arenas, Huttball, any type. This can be very useful for the new players, and it can be fun for more experienced ones.

I honestly had OBJ and Huttball warzones listed separate. But unfortunately because of the split in ''too many queue types'' (people/devs would tell you), it doesn't make sense to do so sadly. Which is why they should just remove the deserter penalty so people can leave warzones they don't like.

Regular Warzones (8v8)

- NO deserter penalty

- 4v4 Arena's only

- Deserter Penalty

- 4v4 Arena's only

It will give people a platform to learn and practice arenas before joining ranked play. I'm all for this.

Great suggestion.

Regular Warzones (8v8)

- NO deserter penalty

- 4v4 Arena's only

- Deserter Penalty

- 4v4 Arena's only

no.

and why do pvers always feel the need to make ridiculous posts wanting to change everything about pvp? why do you care? you barely if ever pvp anyway. it's tantamount to me complaining that everything about raids (content i never do) should be changed.

no.

and why do pvers always feel the need to make ridiculous posts wanting to change everything about pvp? why do you care? you barely if ever pvp anyway. it's tantamount to me complaining that everything about raids (content i never do) should be changed.

:confused:

pic of my stronghold:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/862504192438435870/862504295525777430/unknown.png

I play most aspects of the game.

Edited by SOULCASTER

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/862504192438435870/862513164264013824/unknown.png

Here is a ranked matched that just happened. 2 of my teammates started attacking our Sorc ''V'' who died fast both rounds. Under my proposed changes in this thread, more people like this would have a place to practice that would allow them to learn and prevent the other players from being frustrated, causing the toxicity.

That would be me. I stream a lot of Nim raiding, but do plenty of pvp as well as in the past i was only a ranked pvper.

yeah, i know. i saw you on the other night in a full premade. but how is regs not a good place to learn your class and to pvp? if the individual you are referencing from that screen shot wasn't ready for ranked they should continue to do regs to hammer it out. i don't see how any of that warrants any of the changes you proposed.

yeah, i know. i saw you on the other night in a full premade. but how is regs not a good place to learn your class and to pvp? if the individual you are referencing from that screen shot wasn't ready for ranked they should continue to do regs to hammer it out. i don't see how any of that warrants any of the changes you proposed.

I dont know who you are but thats fine. We can agree to disagree.

Eliminate (ranked) as a separate entity, attach elo to all forms and every pvp match. Problem solved. Have a nice day.

Always amazes me how people can make a mountain out of a mole hill. Simple fix. I solved it in one sentence.

I think they should just put all maps in the same queue, 8vs8 + 4vs4 and make everything ranked with ELO and leaderboards placement, defining new parameters addressing the rating.

Stop.

And did i really read about adding a teleport for Mercs? Like they are in need of it? They can self heal, shield up (with healing charges stacking in the meantime), reflect and self heal, kite/escape with Propulsion Round, root, stun, sap, net, pushback and last (but not least if properly used) cleanse themself.

Mercs are ok, trust a 10 years merc player.

Eliminate (ranked) as a separate entity, attach elo to all forms and every pvp match. Problem solved. Have a nice day.

Always amazes me how people can make a mountain out of a mole hill. Simple fix. I solved it in one sentence.

Idk man. There are some pretty terrible PVPers who can win Huttball just by playing OBJs while getting destroyed the entire time. I don't think you should be getting ranked rewards for getting farmed and losing at actual PVP because you are good at playing unaugmented full tank who doesn't guard swap with a healer and passing the ball to an op in stealth.

Sorry man, 8v8 ranked is dead and gone. Only way to revive it now is through guild challenges. No point in trying to reimplement that. Ranked is and will likely continue to be 4v4 arenas. Best to focus efforts on suggestions to improving that.

If everyone was spec'd and geared and setup with the right classes for Huttball, I strongly suspect the matches would be quick, one-sided and not fun (or fun to watch). Even if the teams were nearly the same skill, the one with the edge would score most of the points very quickly.

If everyone was spec'd and geared and setup with the right classes for Huttball, I strongly suspect the matches would be quick, one-sided and not fun (or fun to watch). Even if the teams were nearly the same skill, the one with the edge would score most of the points very quickly.

if the pit were played today by ranked teams, nothing of any significance whatsoever would change. the team that controls the spawn would control the ball and win. all of the ways players ignore the map obstacles would be irrelevant. instead, those players DM around mid and actively ignore the ball, allowing (mostly) ops and mercs to solo the game with occasional help by a stealth in the EZ, sage pull, or if the team is really ambitious, a tank.

quesh is broken beyond repair. I watched one player melt from acid w/o even being in acid multiple times (it actually cost my team the match); it was a striking display. warriors/knights continue to be unable to leap on the 3rd level.

vandin is the only map that doesn't get completely rekt by desync or the aforementioned quesh glitches. it's also the map that players attempt to score the least in. lol

yep. HB is pretty much dead.

Edited by CheesyEZ

with the upcoming changes Id say wait on any desired modifications. So much of the mechanics are being modified Id dont think making changes now would make sense until we see how combat styles and game mechanics are impacted.

It may even be a few months until the "fallout" is felt in pvp. If these upcoming changes bring in a lot more new players, if the changes don't crash and burn and drive away players, if certain scum don't figure out how to exploit them, so many variables that will likely change the way the maps work. Hell if these changes really impact combat, BW may need to redesign ALL matches.

Time will tell.

. Hell if these changes really impact combat, BW may need to redesign ALL matches.

Given that they apparently think that having a stunbreak that a player can activate when they want to activate it, is a bad idea, it seems likely that combat may be impacted.

They apparently haven't figured out how they want the game to choose how to activate the stunbreak for the player, but they're working on it. Or maybe they'll just glue it onto some other ability as an upgrade.

For interrupts they're not sure if they should be automated/consolidated or removed.

I wish this were a joke, but alas it is not.

Last big paragraph in this post. "Lastly . . . "

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9957653#post9957653

My personal expectation is that class mechanics, PvE, and PvP will broken in novel and interesting ways when 7.0 lands, and that as usual, it will take Bioware 6 to 8 months to pull their heads out of the sand enough to admit they made mistakes, and sloppily patch things enough so that we get back maybe 80% of the game functionality that we currently have. So basically a normal SWTOR "ambitious groundbreaking expansion." By the middle of the 8.x expansion things should probably be more or less recovered from whatever 7.0 has done.

Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me and combine stunbreaks with self cleanses, to make a consolidated "get rid of annoying debuffs" button. That would be unreasonably reasonable for them though, so I wouldn't bet on it.