Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Striges
05.20.2016 , 06:24 AM | #5881
Week of May 20, 2016
Current Events--Events in the larger fictional world shape your character’s little slice of it, whether they want it to or not. What things are in the news for your character? What do they hear about on the Holonet or from the town gossip, read about in the paper or posted on boards? How do these events affect them? Are they concerned about current events or blissfully unaware of anything outside their immediate experience? Maybe your character is the one making headlines. Write about it!

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLPs:
Loyalty and Betrayal - Two loaded words that can have major impacts on a person's life. Which characters of yours always follow orders? Which never compromise in loyalty to their friends or cause? How do your companions (not just that one) deal with challenges to their loyalties?

Crossovers and Mashups : Imagine Captain America in the Clone Wars (Captain Republic and the Howling Commandos! Captain Empire!). Or the adventures of Han Solo, dashing rogue, and his best friend Chewbacca the genius-inventor-gorilla in a steampunk galaxy far far away. Padmé as Sleeping Beauty. Star Wars, the soap opera. Star Wars itself is a hodgepodge of bits and influences from ancient mythology, old-time serials, modern sci-fi, and everything in between. Explore some crossovers with other properties or genres and either OCs or canon characters.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

Striges
05.23.2016 , 06:49 AM | #5882
Continuing with stories for NPCs that no one really remembers, have another about some heroic dailies:

Prompts: What About That Guy, Breaking the Fourth Wall (and breaking it hard)

Characters: Valen Korik, Kregg

Title: A(nother) Personal Challenge

Spoilers: None

The title of this one comes from Kabeone, who wanted to write something silly but the story wanted to be tragic (the specific instance was "protagonist gets hit by car"). It seemed, therefore, only appropriate to write something ridiculous in which the protagonist gets hit by a car.

Spoiler

Striges
05.27.2016 , 06:47 AM | #5883
Week of May 27, 2016
Birthdays--Does your character celebrate their birthday? What do they do? Have a big party or an intimate gathering with a few close friends? Or do they hope no one notices? Perhaps they eternally claim some age they like the best, whether it’s a birthday past or one yet to come. Maybe they neither know nor care. Living another year might not mean much to them. Maybe they mark a day of different personal significance. Or maybe a significant other throws a surprise party whether your character wants it or not. Consider birthdays this week, and what they mean for your character.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

Write a Theme: Star Wars is unusual in its almost universal appeal, and much of its success has been attributed to the Lucas’ incorporation of universal mythological themes in the story. Good stories (and modern myths) often have these kinds of themes tying the narrative together. The fall from grace, the epic journey, love conquers all, finding hidden treasures, discovering inner strength. What recurring themes weave through your characters’ stories? Sometimes these ideas aren’t obvious at the outset, but become so as you write or review previous stories. This week’s challenge: pick one specific to your character and write a story featuring it.

Alternate Perspectives - Something a little different, most of the time we tell a story from a single character's perspective. But what were other characters thinking at the time? Rewrite one of your past pieces from another character's perspective or write a new fic from two characters perspectives. Use any prompt or just make something up.

Mirdthestrill
05.27.2016 , 02:40 PM | #5884
@Alaurin- I feel you with being busy with school, albeit on the other side of the desk. The index looks good on all my stuff!

@Feldraeth- Glad you liked Ketturah's adventures. The story was a pain in the neck at points, but I'm reasonably satisfied with the results. No promises about any future Cato appearances, but let's just say he's not going to give up hunting after this, and might just decide that he wants a bit of glory and prize money himself...

@AKHadeed- thank you! Your comments make me smile

Comments:

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Mirdthestrill
05.28.2016 , 05:41 PM | #5885
Title: Keep Holding On
Prompt: Seven Virtues: Charity
Characters: Feyte Saien (Jedi Consular), Eyrie Lancaster (Jedi Knight), Kira Carson, Nadia Grell, Doc, Tharan Cedrax, Sgt. Rusk
Length: 1,100 words
Spoilers: Jedi Knight Act II finale, possible references to Jedi Consular Act II

Spoiler

Note:

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Striges
05.31.2016 , 11:01 PM | #5886
@Mirdthestrill: Seen in this light, Broysc is a tragic figure. I literally can't think about his conversation with Quinn anymore without feeling sad. That convo had me in stitches the first time around. I hate my brain sometimes. The bit with Koric was definitely intended to be funny, but humor (like horror) can be very personal. I can see Kregg's situation as sad, in the same way Inigo Montoya (Princess Bride) is a humorous character in the story, even if his personal quest to find the Six-Fingered man really isn't funny at all. *spoiler* There is a "debugging" episode brewing

Comment:
Spoiler

Striges
06.03.2016 , 06:30 AM | #5887
May 31 marked the 4-year anniversary of the beginning of the Short Fiction Weekly Challenge thread. 4 years! In celebration of this achievement we’ll have a two-part prompt, one situational for your character, and one meta for the writers.

Week of June 3, 2016
Why Didn’t I Think of This Sooner? Character Version- Who hasn’t come up with a great idea well after it’s useful? Probably not your character, since they aren’t actually under real-world time constraints. What if they did? Characters can have regrets or second-guess themselves, too. Perhaps they come up with the perfect escape plan while fighting through guards they didn’t avoid. Maybe they wish they had bought the magical sword from the swordsmith. Maybe they remember the vital clue after setting off the trap. Consider this a chance to try some internal conflict for your character. What do they do when they realize they could have done something differently?

Why Didn’t I Think of This Sooner? Author Version- Who hasn’t come up with a great idea well after it’s useful? Every writer ever. Maybe it’s a better way to relate your character to your world, maybe it’s a background event, maybe it’s a change to the world itself. But you already established all of these events. It’s ok: there’s Retcon. Writers retcon all the time. Sometimes it’s major--a reboot of the universe--sometimes it’s not--rewriting or throwing out an episode or scene or adding foreshadowing where you didn’t before. This week, make a change to something in your story you wish you’d done from the beginning. The new timeline can become your new canon or you can keep it as an AU (we have a whole thread for that, too). Stories aren’t finished until the writer says they are.

And, as ever,

This week's featured NotLPs are:

A Good Villain: Every hero needs an antagonist, someone who thwarts them at every turn. This week’s challenge: write a story centered on your character’s main villain. This might be an enemy the game made for your character or one you invented in your character’s story, but either way, this is their time in the sun. Make it good. Or bad, as the case may be.

Failure - Our characters have flaws. They have bad days. They do it wrong. And sometimes they don't win. What failures have your characters experienced? What, if anything, did they learn from it?

Striges
06.10.2016 , 06:15 AM | #5888
Week of June 10, 2016
Scars--Reminders of old wounds. They might be visible--remnants of a childhood fall, a parent’s rage, an accident, a fire, a careless slip with a weapon or tool. The near miss that wasn’t quite a miss. But scars can be internal or emotional as well. A song that was a former lover’s favorite, a scent that summons a painful memory, a street or neighborhood your character refuses to travel. This week write a story about a scar your character bears. Consider how they acquired it, and how it affects them.

Laws and Governance - Our characters pass through a huge number of jurisdictions with a huge variety of regulations, forms of government, fine print, and - eek - legal penalties. Write about an interaction your character has had with government and/or the legal system.

Writer’s Revenge! “Do not annoy the writer. She may put you in a book and kill you.” When looking for inspiration for a minor or background character, or even an important adversary, why not borrow the aggravating habits of someone familiar to you? The chatterbox co-worker who can’t stop telling stories--but none of them are interesting. The neighbor whose garage band meets daily--and loudly--at six in the morning. This week, take the best revenge on someone who irritates you: make them a character in a story. Death, of course, is optional. Have fun!

YoshiRaphElan
06.12.2016 , 03:09 PM | #5889
Prompt - Why Didn’t I Think of This Sooner? Author Version
Title - Are We Related?
Class - Jedi Knight/Smuggler

Spoiler

Prompt - Downtime
Title - Let's Go Camping! - Part 1
Class - All
Some general KOTFE stuff, mild-ish spoilers

Spoiler

Prompt - Can't Get There From Here
Title - Let's Go Camping! - Part 2
Class - Knight, Agent, Smuggler
Maybe some more minor KOTFE stuff

Spoiler

Notes:

Spoiler

Striges
06.17.2016 , 06:29 AM | #5890
Week of June 17, 2016
Special Delivery--Has your character ever ordered or commissioned something? A weapon, an outfit, a portrait, or a story? Are they patient waiting for it to arrive or be completed or do they inquire every day? Do they micromanage? Track their package down to the minute? Or do they forget about it entirely until it shows up? Perhaps your character is the one doing the delivery. Do they get lost? Wonder what’s in the mysterious box? Write about your character’s encounters with deliveries and orders.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

Breaking the Fourth Wall: These are a lot more meta than we usually explore; roll with them and have fun.
Addressing the Audience: Characters aren’t supposed to acknowledge their audience. Suppose they did? How would they speak to all those who’ve been reading and enjoying their adventures? What might they say to the complainers?
Addressing the Creator: If your character could say something about their writer, what would it be? Would they complain about something? Take the opportunity to give you a piece of their minds? Maybe ask for a favor? Or would they be grateful and thank you?