Suggestion: Green UI arrows pointing to offscreen teammates

powerofvoid

Because of how much spinning and rolling goes on in GSF, it's often easy to lose track of which way is which on the minimap (which way is up), which can make it a bit of a production to figure out which way to turn to fly back to the group if you get separated.

It would be a lot faster and easier if there were arrows (presumably green) on your targeting circle pointing to your teammates when they're offscreen, not just your enemies (red), which already have that.

I think it might result in quite a few arrows too many on screen at once. Gets messy.

I wonder if it were possible to have an ablity like " drop a nav beacon" available for every ship. Ability would "bookmark" a location of your desire and be visible just for you. It'd then provide a nice singular big distinct green or yellow arrow for you to fly towards, when lost. Would help piots new and old a great deal. Easier to stay (aware of) home. Or easier to find a bomber nest.

Maybe some added functionality like "broadcast your beacon to others" with 2 min cooldown. Bomber pilots would be happy at least.

Edited by Stradlin

I think it is a good idea. In the movies, you often see starfighters flying in formation (and I recall that was common in the X-wing game as well), but in GSF that is hardly possible---even with voice comm,it is extremely difficult to fly along another pilot and following their movements. In a real starfighter, you would probably install some technical system that helps pilots to stay in formation.

However, as Stradlin says, having one indicator for each team mate would be too much. I would rather suggest that you get indicators for the rest of your squad or that you can pick one team member to track in the match lobby.

This should not be that hard to implement in the game, as the same functionality is already there for tracking the sats in domination games.

If there's too many arrows, you could add settings to customize this:

• Render indicator arrows above other UI elements
  • Current target indicator arrow
  • Satellite indicator arrows
  • Enemy fighter indicator arrows
  • Ally fighter indicator arrows
  • Ally repair drone indicator arrows
  • Enemy repair drone indicator arrows
  • Other ally drone/mine indicator arrows
  • Other enemy drone/mine indicator arrows
  • Powerup indicator arrows