Legacy of the Rakata - first impressions

So I have done this FP 2 times, once as Tank Jugg, and once as DPS Rage Jugg and i see few problems with the future of this FP

1. Repeatability - for me there are no rewards in it to repeat it more then i have to....(achievements, quest and maybe the weekly) so it will be probably be the FIRST FP that i will DODGE/QUIT..... it is almost like the Czerka FP... if they weren't in the Weekly i would probably dodge them too

* give at least that the decoration will always drop on final bosses

* Or maybe an lockbox with gathering missions/ scrap peddler tokens

Something worth the time.. even people that just start gearing up will find out that there are better ways to earn 162 gear then bet on random last boss loot

2. I don't think this is FP is solable(on the other hand why solo it now?!:p), 2 times 2 bosses, and the boss with enormous amounts of adds... and i thought that Lost Island was hard with micromanaging the companion

3. As a Tank i felt almost useless in boss fights... like this FP was created for 4 DPS groups..... and i think the healers also will feel the way that it would be better if they were dps speced

4. Is it me or the Rakata beach reminds my strongly the beach on Telos in KOTOR 2...:rak_02:

5.I am still waiting to see is there any tactic for the boss fights, because what i see is just avoid/dps... no room for taunts/interrupts.. and the AoE speced classes will be the most desired in greater half of the FP.....

Whats your point of view?

So I have done this FP 2 times, once as Tank Jugg, and once as DPS Rage Jugg and i see few problems with the future of this FP

1. Repeatability - for me there are no rewards in it to repeat it more then i have to....(achievements, quest and maybe the weekly) so it will be probably be the FIRST FP that i will DODGE/QUIT..... it is almost like the Czerka FP... if they weren't in the Weekly i would probably dodge them too

* give at least that the decoration will always drop on final bosses

* Or maybe an lockbox with gathering missions/ scrap peddler tokens

Something worth the time.. even people that just start gearing up will find out that there are better ways to earn 162 gear then bet on random last boss loot

I agree. The fact that there was no reward to completing Forged Alliances III aside from commendations the game basically throws at you everywhere was a downer. And then there is the fact that there is no interesting loot

that drops consistently. I'm not sure I want to play this FP every week. I probably will because I like Achievements, but it's not a very exciting thing, even if the story is great.

2. I don't think this is FP is solable(on the other hand why solo it now?!:p), 2 times 2 bosses, and the boss with enormous amounts of adds... and i thought that Lost Island was hard with micromanaging the companion

I don't care, tbh.

3. As a Tank i felt almost useless in boss fights... like this FP was created for 4 DPS groups..... and i think the healers also will feel the way that it would be better if they were dps speced

Yup. The first and last boss have each one boss that can and one that can't be tanked. It's really aggrevating that you can't do your job and I don't ever see this working out in a potential HM version. Commander Rand was OK in that regard IMO.

4. Is it me or the Rakata beach reminds my strongly the beach on Telos in KOTOR 2...:rak_02:

Reminds me more of Virmire in Mass Effect, appearance wise.

5.I am still waiting to see is there any tactic for the boss fights, because what i see is just avoid/dps... no room for taunts/interrupts.. and the AoE speced classes will be the most desired in greater half of the FP.....

Whats your point of view?

This also. The only tactics this FP demands are "Don't die" and "Kill things". Manaan was really cool in comparison, but even Korriban and Tython had better boss mechanics.

TL;DR: Story is great, gameplay disappointing.

Edited by Darkelefantos

I have to say, I tryed this FP only once on my Guardian tank, and it was a little disappointing. :(

The team was 2 Tanks, both Guardians, and two Sentinels. We were all geared for Ops, so that may count, but I don't think it does that much. On Korriban, Tython and Manaan I still need to get heals or use Kolto Stations, regardless of the fact that those are TFPs. I'd assume level would be similar. :rolleyes:

None of us went below 80% in the whole run. Not thanks to the Kolto Stations, mind you, we used only one, and mostly to save time after a boss battle... :D

And the fact that a Sent went to 80% was only because one of the two bosses was not tauntable... :eek:

I don't know, tbh I felt kind of useless. :(

A DPS could have at least DPSed more than I did, making the fights faster. And a Healer would have kept everyone topped. A Tank is supposed to Tank, but with half the bosses not tauntable, well... You can imagine.

This reached the top on the last boss fight. I won't spoil much, but Jakarro fights alongside the group. And he was constantly on top of the threat table for the bosses. Damn, you could say he tanked it! We did our best, but this is how it went: Engage, first two attacks bosses are on tanks.

Then they switched to Jakarro.

In an attempt to fulfill our role, we Tanks kept taunting, one boss each. Result: boss on us for the taunt timer, then back to Jakarro. We used Guardian Leap on Jakarro. Result: one attack on us, then back to start, Jakarro kept tanking.

Really, with this situation the team would have been able tto just stand aside and let Jakarro wipe the bosses down, since I don't think there's a timer. :confused:

The story is great, and I love the environment, it reminds me pretty well of Rakata Prime from KotOR... :)

But please, don't make the players not needed. What's next, enter the FP, talk to the boss, he dies after the cutscene and we click the console finishing the FP? :eek:

Plus, drops. No drops at all but credits. And two 148 rating chestpieces. Which is not a bad thing, all in all, but... Really, those are drops? :o

Tbh, I usually follow the story line as close as I can, and that Story Arc is supposed to be after Oricon, from what I understand. Oricon gives better gear... At this point make it drop credits (and decorations, if there are some) only, what do we need those gear drops for anyway? :cool:

Last but not least, the mission rewards.

The first part of the Story Arc gave us a Recovered Relic.

The second one gave us a Manaan token - can't remember the name, sorry.

This one gives us... Commendations. Basic and Elite.

I don't mind Commendations for themselves, but I would have expected something more... physical, perhaps? Even a lockbox would have been better than those Comms. At least I'd have had something potentially useful.

I wouldn't want Ultimate Comms for it because of the fact that Ultimate Comms are supposed to come from High Level content. And that's not High Level. At all. :o

But if it was for me, I'd have given one Recovered Relic and one Manaan token. If only for hte fact that those are still part of the story. :p

Sorry for length, but this TFP disappointed me so much I wanted to be as thorough as I could be... :o

I haven't done rakata yet but my feeling on the first three is that this is an alternative to normal single player story progression, which would drop level 53 greens. If so, and they release HM versions with trinity mechanics in 3.0 I'm fine with this approach.

I did Legacy of the Rakata once, and to be perfectly honest, bw is breeding lazy gameplay, no need for interrupts, and no mechanics to speak of. I have no idea why they made such a wonderful environment in reference to graphics, music score and story line, yet they seriously dropped the ball in the actual game play side of it.

I enjoyed playing this flashpoint as a healer because it let me run around the island admiring the scenery while my 3 dps groupmates killed everything along the way.

"Ooo, so pretty."

/roll /roll

*recuperative nanotech*

"Ooo, look at this, I want three of these in my apartment."

*rocket boost*

*recuperative nanotech*

*pretend to be helpful during "boss" fight*

"THIS STATUE. I MUST HAVE IT."

my First impression is it was ok,Seemed seemed a bit BORING.The second mission in the series is a lot harder,due to the bosses. The graphics were good. But not really interested in doing it much more , I have NOT done the storyline yet, will do that then opt out of it if it comes up for a choice in the random queue. even the ending way of leaving the mission was bit boring, the second one with the sub escape was better

Frankly I don't really get any of these tactical flashpoints at all. The usual SM/HM split that was available for all flashpoints at launch would work just as well and provide more difficult options for those who want it. Also, when it is more difficult you can definitely justify rarer rewards, like special decorations or 180 gear. While it makes for fast queues allowing for flexible group composition, what it really does is make tanks and healers irrelevant and encourages people to just respec dps since there is absolutely 0 challenge in any other role.

Yes it's nice to explore scenery and storylines. But it takes theme park to a whole new level....

Edited by Saenth

Looks awesome, is boring as hell. Feels like doing L50 dailies.

This. I would also add that it was one of the few instances where I turned the music up instead of off.

That's about all the good things I have to say right now.

I really wish BW after they finish this story line go back to designing HM FPs like mini-ops as they sort of were after launch.

(when I was 2-manning the FP with a guildie I accidentally jumped the beast handler boss and my guildy was locked out from the fight. As a 186/180 geared PT tank with a 180/168 geared Treek I had not trouble dealing with both bosses at all. If the fight had not reset for some reason after a bit that fight at least is so yawn-inducing you can pretty mich stand there and do whatever).

Edited by djdee

Hm. As for my part, I do think this flashpoint is a tremendous enjoyment.

I must negate assumptions at this point you may have: the encounters are indeed meant for making some coffee meanwhile. But I'd have to lie saying I care.

I take the whole Forged Alliances story as what it is. A story.

I would have enjoyed being challenged by the flashpoint, but it matters not as long as I get entertained

all in all. Most of the people do like the story very much - as such I would not try to consider all those flashpoints

namely Korriban, Tython, Manaan and Rakata Prime as content that is about to be exhausted. I would not pay a visit to Rakata Prime to finish the bosses as fast as I can but let the atmosphere melt in my mouth.

As for my opinion, just turn up the music and let the epicness off the final encounter astonish you - even without unbelievably difficult mechanics - it is enjoyable so long as you let it happen.

And the rewards, sigh. Could have been better but I take the story as reward... somehow.

That's actually just how everything else like Story Mode OPs can still have an entertaining effect, even if you got through it in Nightmare.

I love being humiliated by mechanics. :D

But I also appreciate frothy fights. It's what is behind you got to enjoy, not what you can see solely.

Edited by TechPianist

These 3 flashpoints where just tools to tell the story of Revan, they want every player, no matter how casual to see that Revan will be back. Its just a story, do it once or twice and thats it :). If you want gameplay you should try some hm/nm ops.

• 7 years later...

Have to say, I have done this fp 3 times (as a full dark sith) the option for light/dark side points it utterly STUPID!

saving the "soldiers" to aid in the empires fight later possibly is light side as destroying them is dark points what a bunch of CRAP on the developers end it is totally backwards on how you gain light/dark side points

what a bunch of utterly stupid crap for a role p[layer

in keeping with a full dark sith, I must except the option to destroy then (which gives compliments from the dip ***** republican side emissary *****n head you must work with along side Lana

DEVELOPERS< PLEASE CHECK THE OPTIONS TO VERIFY PROPER DECISION MIKING LIGHT/DARK SIDE POINTS Geeeees

there are quite a few story line choices that make ***** ***** options for the points you gain in this game

Have to say, I have done this fp 3 times (as a full dark sith) the option for light/dark side points it utterly STUPID!

saving the "soldiers" to aid in the empires fight later possibly is light side as destroying them is dark points what a bunch of CRAP on the developers end it is totally backwards on how you gain light/dark side points

So you think that murdering people who can't fight back is somehow a "lightside" thing to do?

The theory here is that you choose between (a) trying to help the Empire and (b) murdering people who can't fight back and *not* helping the Empire. Sounds like the light/dark split is correct.

what a bunch of utterly stupid crap for a role p[layer

in keeping with a full dark sith, I must except the option to destroy then (which gives compliments from the dip ***** republican side emissary *****n head you must work with along side Lana

DEVELOPERS< PLEASE CHECK THE OPTIONS TO VERIFY PROPER DECISION MIKING LIGHT/DARK SIDE POINTS Geeeees

there are quite a few story line choices that make ***** ***** options for the points you gain in this game

Calm down.