Could we, the players get an option to acquire our own FLAGSHIPs?

Augustus

Right now the guild flagships are all nice and big, way too big for any guild in my opinion, with far not enough decoration slots and also it is a decorating playground only for that select officers from each and every guild.

Hence, I really wish to see personal flagships, that may not be stardestroyer size, but a frigate, or other, maybe new capital ships. Acquiring one can even be through an epic long mission chain (like the HK companion chain). It could/should also have similar support providing functions if we orbit a select planet with it. Again, the current guild flagship support is entirely up to the the guild's officer's decision. It could be another different type of support so the guild and personal support complement each other. (I don't have any problem with my guilds' decisions, however the system is very static and 99.9% of the player base has zero control over it...)

If we can have 22 players in our legacy/server/account, which is larger than plenty of guilds' roster out there, it would make sense to have personal flagships as well. Maybe you could develop a way for companions and other characters from our own legacy to be placed as decorations and not just holo figures. Maybe you could finally implement a way to make decoration NPCs or companions lively, like letting us customize them with movements or emotes.

Because right now, whatever you may think of Strongholds, and however good and nice and new they are, it is still only a beginning for something that has much more potential. So for once, we (or I) wish that you would improve on existing content and not just throwing out new systems into the game and then abandon them or put them on CM income generating life support... (just like you did with GSF).

There are so many technological, monitor and other flagship material decorations out, that a personal flagship would fit in nicely.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hoping that they add a personal cruiser, a space station, or even an individual method of owning the current flagships but at a reduced cost and with fewer advantages than a full out guild flagship to balance out the reduced cost for obtaining it - at least without the ability to invade planets if nothing else, otherwise the forum rage would be strong.

In any case though, hopefully at some point we have a means to decorate beyond the current hook allotment for any of the strongholds. I've considered eventually just buying a guild flagship of my own at some point, but knowing that I'd only get to decorate maybe a third to half of it like I want to, it just doesn't seem worth the effort of getting it.

That would indeed be incredibly useful.

Also, there are a number of decorations that only really fit aboard a spaceship. Even if you belong to a guild, flagship decoration is typically reserved to a handful of officers. It would be nice to have a ship that you can decorate like you want.

...and connected to fleet chat. Mobility and exit to any quick travel point would be a plus, but even a ship permanently docked to the fleet would be really interesting.

With or without the addition of some sort of personal flagship, I would like to see some major revamps to the way conquests are designed and handled. (Among other ideas, I think that "once per legacy" conquest objectives should not exist. Replace them all with repeatable objectives regulated by daily or weekly missions. This also means adding conquest mission terminals to feature relevant daily and weekly missions. Then conquests can have a single objective for each planet covered that week which says to complete a mission at the planet's conquest terminal, and that can cover any number of different objectives for that planet depending on how many dailies and weeklies they add.)

Among the ideas that I've had for how it should have been designed differently to begin with, one of my thoughts has been the addition of a terminal on our personal ships (the existing ones at least, and of course if they were to add a large customizable personal ship that would have it too) which would add some sort of personal conquest functionality.

Along with this idea, conquests would have leaderboards for both the planets as a whole (these would be the guild conquest top 10 leaderboards that we have now) and the specific regions on each planet (these would be top 25 leaderboards for specific player legacies*). That new terminal would allow us to select a region as our personal conquest target.

*Since legacy names are not required to be unique, we'd probably have to designate one character as a figurehead so that a unique name gets attached to it.

I would also suggest expanding on prize opportunities with this. Instead of having one personal goal there would be multiple personal goals. The first would be much lower than the current goals but they'd also be for a much smaller prize. And you could build points up and up and up to receive additional prizes as you reach each higher goal line. Perhaps also add in some sort of "Regional Conqueror of _____" titles to grant to all top 3 spots for the personal leaderboards for each planet and a small additional prize for all who land in any top 10 spot on any personal leaderboard.

Guild targets could be expanded upon as well (and set at different values from the personal goals) so that guild conquest prizes are also built up over multiple goal lines. (Maybe the conditions would also be that you receive the lowest guild prize as soon as you get that guild score but the next prize will require that the guild also finishes in the top 10, and the one after that will require that the guild also finishes in the top 6, and the one after that also requires that the guild finishes in the top 3. Or something like that. And of course we'd still have all who pass the original 35k mark who are in the #1 guild receiving the conqueror title for that planet.) These changes would give more players something that they feel like they can aim for. The more casual players can be content with just hitting the lowest goal lines on a few characters while the more dedicated players can see how many additional prizes they can earn beyond the easy goal line.

I would think that this would also mean separation of bonuses for personal and guild scores. Your stronghold bonus would still apply to both, but your bonus from your personal selection's planet would only apply to your personal score and your bonus from your guild's selected planet would only apply to your guild score.

edit: Anyway, with this personal flagship idea perhaps they could also consider adding in a more limited group summons option. It obviously wouldn't be as good as the guild summons. I think it would be limited to non-ops groups and it would cost you a bit more than what the guilds pay for a summons. But it would still be a nice update anyway.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

Acquiring one can even be through an epic long mission chain (like the HK companion chain).

How about a really long class quest? It would have to be a side quest/optional for those who don't have the money yet, but I'm sure they can intertwine the classes into a larger ship. (Smuggler/BH could steal one, and Trooper could be rewarded with it, after completing the long quest line of course, etc.)

I think it should just be a long and somewhat complicated class quest as it just makes sense as you level up and get more companions and more reputation in the galaxy, that you shouldn't be cramped up in a tiny starship, when you deserve even a small frigate or cruiser.

This.. if you want your own ship, you can have one, make a guild and buy it.

But that way you can't join a real guild.

A ship would be nice, even if it's just a "fleet stronghold" without any travel features. Still waiting for my smuggler to be able to move into Port Nowhere. And my agent knows that now-abandoned space station in the Null-Zone, a story/class-based stronghold would actually be nice. It could be available only when the character that owns it.

Edited by Mubrak

But that way you can't join a real guild.

A ship would be nice, even if it's just a "fleet stronghold" without any travel features. Still waiting for my smuggler to be able to move into Port Nowhere. And my agent knows that now-abandoned space station in the Null-Zone, a story/class-based stronghold would actually be nice. It could be available only when the character that owns it.

Oh damn that's another one I forgot this morning...

someone had a conjecture in another thread that all the stronghold locations are set on planets with spaceports, and I guess technically Vaiken and Carrick would fit that category, except they could be construed as orbital stations as well.

But that requirement leaves Port Nowhere and the agent's abandoned station out in the cold too. Plus I think you actually need it to be in a zone other players could travel to on their own.

A fleet stronghold though I can't see being an issue, but personal ships probably would be since you are now lessening the value of a guild ship. Part of its appeal is the ability to take it to any planet being a perk exclusive to guild ships.

you could just make a one man guild and buy your own flagship, done.

Genius simple solution that totally missed the point, which is about having a ship type stronghold as such, regardless of being in a guild or not. Plus, while making a one man guild and buying the guild ship is doable, further expanding of the ship is way too problematic for a single player. Existing conditions of obtaining all those frameworks to unlock ship sections shouldn't be applied to a potential legacy / player own ship.

• 3 years later...

I wish I saw this thread instead of making my own as I had pointed out a potential cruisers that would work as a personal flagship and/or smaller cheaper guild ships. But I can elaborate on the subject here and see if anyone can either improve or point out where I could be flawed in the prospective designs. The ships I pointed out was the Terminus class for the Empire and the Hammerhead for the Republic, both are small cruisers and could get away with having less space, fewer rooms, and less hooks. Both would have the basic layout of 1 bridge, 1-2 misc. rooms, 4 extra rooms, 1 engine room, and a pair of hangars. Now how the entire layout could go will differ based on ship construction and faction design.

The Terminus could have the vertical setup like the regular guild flagships have, where you go to the elevator to go to each deck. The misc. room above, next would be the crew deck with the 4 rooms below the bridge, the hangars sitting across from each facing outward below that, and the engine room below that.

The Hammerhead would have a slightly different setup, with the bridge leading back to an elevator. The misc. room(s) above, but down below the bridge is where things actually become some what interesting. A tram system that leads to the crew deck with the 4 rooms, the adjacent outward facing hangars, and the engine room.

As you may have noticed I opted out of the control deck as it would be a waste of space considering these ships are far smaller then the dreadnoughts that are used as guild flagships. Yet bigger then the sky carrier on Rishi as they have the ability to travel in space unlike the carrier due to it's design. And the tram system for the Hammerhead makes more sense as it is laid out as a long cylindrical design then the Terminus. And one flash point had you go through a republic ship that actually had a tram system of some sort that you had to travel on at one point. And also the hangars sitting across from one another makes more sense for both as the hangars literally situated right across from each other in the pictures and basic design. The Harrow and the Valor had two hangars facing forward adjacent to one another due to immense size, these cruisers can get away with the adjacent facing out to the sides from each other.

Now getting to the more cost and unlocking aspect, guild flags cost 50mil in credits. These ships would be 20-25mil to buy, and they don't need the components that the bigger ones use. But they would be incredibly expensive to unlock each section and room. How much that is can be some where of 1.75-3.25mil depending on room and purpose. And technically with personal ones, cartel coins can be used to unlock sections and rooms. But again that would be costly, those prices also vary and since I don't know the exact amount cartel coins are used to unlock rooms for strongholds I'm going to put off putting down any estimates because of limited information.

This also brings up a new concern, travel. These ships can be parked above planets and/or at the fleet, but if this is a personal flagship does that mean you have to deal a guild dominating over a planet you orbit. My vote is no, at least not to the issue of contesting. Though now looking at this does bring up a unique aspect that can be explored, and hear me out on this. Say you're part of a guild with your own personal flagship, and you decide to fly to a planet that is controlled by your guild. Possible to get bonuses? Like maybe tactical orbital fire or a quicker cool down for fighter strike for your guild? Does bring up a new guild political scheme with resource management and asset acquisition. However I don't see that happening as it might complicate a lot of things, so in the spirit of keeping it simple I'm going with no. The stuff just previously mentioned can be shelved for another discussion.

Ops and groups, would say yes you can do them. The scale allows for it, and if you're in an ops group awaiting to travel to some kind of mission or operation being able to group up on someone's personal flagship or small guild ship is do able. And since not everyone can control a guild flagship, but are grouped with friends and their friends, having access to a large safe staging point is very preferable. This also allows for the personal ship to place a surgical drop into a specified location much like the guild ships when it comes to raids on world bosses and faction field commanders. I don't know the full extent of this, but I can say that this is actually a thing as I was part of a group that dropped into a location close to a republic commander on Alderaan with a guild hoping to get their hands on another component to unlock their guild ship further. This was a few years ago, but safe to say there is stipulations such cool down and/or applicable location for the drop.

Moving on, public accessibility, I say is yes as some guilds have opened their ships to the public. However how to break down the difference in ships, that's pretty simple for the most part. We all know planetary strongholds can be selected between personal and guild, same can be applied to the guild ship section. However might have to make a separate consoles for the Terminus and the Hammerhead. Where this might be located is anyone's guess, however can still do it on the original flagship console. Just have to go through more selective process to get to the smaller flagships, not extremely extensive but might take a few seconds to get the selection you want much like the planetary ones.

Allowable population cap, the dreadnoughts allowed up to 500 players when fully unlocked. These ships are smaller, so for the guild side I'd say 200-250 is reasonable. For personal I'd go with 100-120 as the Yavin stronghold allows for 100 pop-cap when that's fully unlocked. Making it one of the largest pop-cap strongholds beside Tatooine and Manaan, and I'm not entirely sure how the pop-cap on guild strongholds is. But I can see them being similar in pop-cap to something slightly higher, if I'm wrong let me know.

Now comes decoration hooks, to be honest I have no idea what the total is on a fully unlocked guild flagship is. But I can imagine it being somewhere of a 3-7 thousand range, and Rishi has roughly 1600 hooks as the newest and biggest stronghold to date. I can see the smaller ships having roughly 2-4 thousand because of, you guessed it, scale. How many of each type and placement I can't say for sure. Though safe to assume there is definitely going to be anywhere of 1-2 ship size hooks for each hangar, but that's cause they're hangars. Guaranteed ships to be sitting in them. What the rest of the composition is going to be is anyone's guess really.

I figure what I listed is reasonable and very logical. Plus factual, as plenty of in game experiences I've made mentioned of show that what I listed is very feasible. And stuff I'm not completely familiar with I've made clear. And looking at it from story-arc stand point would make sense that you might get these. I won't get into too many details there as it goes into spoiler territory, but those who have done the full character story-arcs might see where I'm coming from as well those who are more into the RP aspect too. And who may have some idea to what I'm eluding to as well with the story-arc angle. But for now I'm going to end this here, please give me your input to this. Would like to hear if you agree and or disagree and why.

I also forgot to include this, they should increase the stronghold cap to 6. With that can have 6 planetary strongholds or 4 planetary and 2 flagships. One flag for each faction as with keeping in with the stronghold norm of one of each.

Edited by dumbreject

I would love to have a ship as a stronghold, even if it can't fly around like a guild flagship.

I remember reading quite a few threads over the years asking for the same -- personal ships as strongholds, the Gravestone as a stronghold, a ship docked at Fleet, a wide variety of great ideas.

Of course, if you buy a Rishi stronghold and unlock the ship, you will have a ship stronghold, it just doesn't have the cool space view.

Personally, I'd love to have an apartment on the space station at Fleet, with my personal starship docked as a stronghold expansion.

I would love to be able to decorate an Alliance fleet ship, myself. I also would have loved to decorate a Gravestone Stronghold or an Eternal Warship Stronghold, but those are out as of The Nathema Conspiracy. I also very much agree that Guild Flagships are waaaay too exclusive, and also have much too low a hook count.

See Xina_LA and StarChanneller also bring up some additional points that make sense when it comes to part of what I hinted to with story-arc and now even general logic. If' you've gone through the Eternal campaign why not be able to have the Gravestone and/or the Eternal Flagship as a stronghold you can own and decorate? Also with the reputation you get with the Hutt's with a lot of the reputation stuff being clumped together why can't we get some kind of cheap like cruiser that we can buy and decorate as a personal flagship? Or even get a room on the main fleet station as it would make sense they would undoubtedly have rooms available. Don't have to be big and luxurious, but would say 1 main area, 2-3 side rooms, and a view of a hangar from above that you can place a ship hook that you can't get physically get to as there is one area like that Manaan and on Rishi. Added with a roughly a 200-300 hook count and pop-cap of 25-40 for personal. Though that could also be included with a guild variant that could be bigger and include a large training/pvp arena of some sort. But will shelve that for another discussion unless you want to go over that as well what I mentioned before with the having to with the personal flagships and guild politics.

The point is there are many things that are in the game that could be done, yet why won't they?

See Xina_LA and StarChanneller also bring up some additional points that make sense when it comes to part of what I hinted to with story-arc and now even general logic. If' you've gone through the Eternal campaign why not be able to have the Gravestone and/or the Eternal Flagship as a stronghold you can own and decorate? Also with the reputation you get with the Hutt's with a lot of the reputation stuff being clumped together why can't we get some kind of cheap like cruiser that we can buy and decorate as a personal flagship? Or even get a room on the main fleet station as it would make sense they would undoubtedly have rooms available. Don't have to be big and luxurious, but would say 1 main area, 2-3 side rooms, and a view of a hangar from above that you can place a ship hook that you can't get physically get to as there is one area like that Manaan and on Rishi. Added with a roughly a 200-300 hook count and pop-cap of 25-40 for personal. Though that could also be included with a guild variant that could be bigger and include a large training/pvp arena of some sort. But will shelve that for another discussion unless you want to go over that as well what I mentioned before with the having to with the personal flagships and guild politics.

The point is there are many things that are in the game that could be done, yet why won't they?

Please don't use my words to support your arguments if you don't understand them. What I said was the exact opposite of your point. I said that while I'd LIKE to have my own Gravestone Stronghold and Eternal Fleet Warship Stronghold to decorate, they AREN'T possible because of what happened in The Nathema Conspiracy. In summary: Please do not quote me; you don't know what you're talking about. Thank you. ^^

Please don't use my words to support your arguments if you don't understand them. What I said was the exact opposite of your point. I said that while I'd LIKE to have my own Gravestone Stronghold and Eternal Fleet Warship Stronghold to decorate, they AREN'T possible because of what happened in The Nathema Conspiracy. In summary: Please do not quote me; you don't know what you're talking about. Thank you. ^^

I do apologize for the misunderstanding, however there was part of what you had pointed that did jump out that some what coincided with my point to some limited degree. I hope you understand did not mean to offend or anything of that nature or take anything out of context since I've not done the Nanthema Conspiracy but have done the Eternal Campaign all the way to getting to the throne. And from what I understand they are separate from each other as Nanthema seems like a continuation past the main story-arc. If I'm also incorrect then I ask to please set the record straight.

I do apologize for the misunderstanding, however there was part of what you had pointed that did jump out that some what coincided with my point to some limited degree. I hope you understand did not mean to offend or anything of that nature or take anything out of context since I've not done the Nanthema Conspiracy but have done the Eternal Campaign all the way to getting to the throne. And from what I understand they are separate from each other as Nanthema seems like a continuation past the main story-arc. If I'm also incorrect then I ask to please set the record straight.

all the new FPs are related to the main story. Instead of getting chapters, they gave us FPs. So if you haven't gotten past getting the throne. You are very much not at the end of the story, and should finish it so you understand why certain ships may not be available for us (lore-wise). But i'll let you find out why

I think the most obvious examples here that would work is for the Empire, guild flagships are Harrower-class dreadnoughts, whereas a personal ship stronghold could be a Terminus-class destroyer. For the Republic, guild flagships are Valor-class cruisers, whereas a personal ship stronghold could be the iconic Thranta-class corvette.

It's not a bad idea as new strongholds go, but my only concern is the hook allocation, as we're still fighting to get the hook count increased for flagships (which is still only 800). Meaning, I wouldn't want to see a destroyer or corvette with less than 800 hooks, and the flagship hook counts need to be increased to somewhere between 1000 - 1200. (There's a suggestion for that here.)

It's not a bad idea as new strongholds go, but my only concern is the hook allocation, as we're still fighting to get the hook count increased for flagships (which is still only 800).

Yeah, I'm still baffled at an increased limit for the Manaan stronghold, but no additional hooks, and no increased limit for guild flagships. Somebody didn't have their morning coffee? Likely someone thought "more hooks" meant a higher limit, rather than more actual slots.

I think the most obvious examples here that would work is for the Empire, guild flagships are Harrower-class dreadnoughts, whereas a personal ship stronghold could be a Terminus-class destroyer. For the Republic, guild flagships are Valor-class cruisers, whereas a personal ship stronghold could be the iconic Thranta-class corvette.

It's not a bad idea as new strongholds go, but my only concern is the hook allocation, as we're still fighting to get the hook count increased for flagships (which is still only 800). Meaning, I wouldn't want to see a destroyer or corvette with less than 800 hooks, and the flagship hook counts need to be increased to somewhere between 1000 - 1200. (There's a suggestion for that here.)

I don't know if you read, and for the record I am not trying to be a douche or anything, but I had listed those ships on a previous page as well as semi-detail description of the layout minus hooks since I wasn't sure what the flagship hook count was for guild ships. And had thought it much higher then 800. Though taking that into account I can definitely see the count around 800-950 for two I mentioned due to scale. And if you have any input to add to the submissions I'd like to hear.

Here is the link though to get to it quicker, fair warning it's a lengthy post.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9640551#post9640551

Not sure how many have noticed it, but Rishi SH includes a ship to decorate. Finding that has given me a whole new outlook on that SH.

Not quite the same as a personal starship as it seems to be more of high atmosphere orbital station, but I absolutely love it.. and yes, you can put up to 4 of your personal class ships on it :)

The unlock for it is right where you zone in.

Apologies if someone else mentioned it already.

Not disagreeing with the thread as I would also love a personal starship based more on our factions.