Luc Nodaro GSF video highlights

I've spawned through a couple similar to that where my ship is just bouncing around for a couple seconds until it is destroyed. I don't really trust them anymore when they are too close to an object on the map.

was in a match the other day where someone dropped it right beside the starting point....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, that a very kind offer. But the biggest issue is, the matchmaking is way off, if it were better, and more evenly spread, this might not happen. Most of the matches I've played this weekend were lopsided. It wears you down, match after match, being stuck with pro players on one team, and the rest of us on the other. And I only do it for GS/CQ, I can imagine how frustrating it would be for people for whom GSF is their major source of play.

Any advice is welcome though :)

I can't fix match matchmaker for you. All I can do in the way of "advice" is tell you that the better you get the less you get stomped on. That's the bit I can help with. It's extremely rare for me to get stomped on to the point I cannot be effective. That is to say where its so bad I can't still net 3-4 times more kills than deaths. Where I myself end up with less than 5 kills or even a negative KDR. It just doesn't happen to me now. Having done the Scout 100 challenge followed by 500 try-hard games split across all servers, I've kept much closer notes on this (among other stuff) and I can tell you in those 600 games, I was stomped into anegative KDR or less-than-five-kills only twice. I still get heavily one-side matches against me, but I am still able to shine. And my Win ratios speak for themselves. I'm not bragging here, I am just saying that if I am winning 70-80% (that's a low estimate, of the past 500 games its actually more like 77-81%) of the games I play, you don't need me to tell you that I am not getting stomped on as much as you are.

Imagine if 80% of the player base played to level I play at? Would stomps be a regular thing? Would matchmaker still have a hard time? Would it even need to be fixed? We can moan about matchmaker needing fixing, and you're not wrong, it is broken. But that is not the only problem. Matchmaker can't create a balanced game when 80% of the player base have next to no skill. And the more players advanced their skill the more balanced games will naturally be. There is a lot I can do to help you improve, and once you are half of my level, you won't care about things like stomps or ticks using one-way textures anywhere near as much as you do now, because these things won't effect you as much as they do now.

The decision is yours.

/snip.

We can't fix it, but the devs can.

Options are to have grouped and solo options, separate queues, straight away, we're all solo players (in the solo queue)

The algorithm then decides splits up the team based on (whatever means they use to measure it) and split the group in half, as much as it can. Both teams (in theory) are evenly matched. Of course, it won't be perfect, but it could be an improvement.

They could also maybe have ranked GSF, for the real pros.

But the problem with these ideas is, it would probably effect queue times.

We can't fix it, but the devs can.

Options are to have grouped and solo options, separate queues, straight away, we're all solo players (in the solo queue)

The algorithm then decides splits up the team based on (whatever means they use to measure it) and split the group in half, as much as it can. Both teams (in theory) are evenly matched. Of course, it won't be perfect, but it could be an improvement.

They could also maybe have ranked GSF, for the real pros.

But the problem with these ideas is, it would probably effect queue times.

Even if we did have separate group and solo queues, people would still complain about the Ace and Elite Ace level solo players who decimate teams all on their own. Its a game that requires great skill and knowledge to master. So at what point do the general masses stop moaning about solo players who have put the effort in to learn? Being mad at someone because he's good at something? Seems a bit odd to me. I say this is the nicest way I can.

At some point, its incumbent upon the masses to step up their game rather than complain about those who are playing it to the level it was designed to be played at.

I haven't had any exciting matches to post up here recently. So here is a 50-39 from Iokath. This match demonstrates nicely how to counter Strike Fighters in a Gunship. How to use the Engine Overcharge and Damage Overcharge clusters to hustle Strikes into a false sense of security, forcing them into mistakes. Playing to the strengths of your Gunship and exploiting the weaknesses of Heavy laser proton Strikes, by forcing them into close quarters engagements where using strafing and BLC gives you the advantage.

Even if we did have separate group and solo queues, people would still complain about the Ace and Elite Ace level solo players who decimate teams all on their own. Its a game that requires great skill and knowledge to master. So at what point do the general masses stop moaning about solo players who have put the effort in to learn? Being mad at someone because he's good at something? Seems a bit odd to me. I say this is the nicest way I can.

At some point, its incumbent upon the masses to step up their game rather than complain about those who are playing it to the level it was designed to be played at.

But if it was solo, chances are, if it was done properly, the aces would be spread out, instead of queuing together. So no one person would decimate that much, unless you are saying the aces would come up with a plan to steap aside and let one win over the other???

General masses shouldn't all have to step up, etc. It's like saying to a noob, to get good and become ranked, not everyone one can, which is why we need brackets, the same as PvP. Put the aces together, and the rest in a separate bracket. Endless saying Get Good, hasn't improved PvP, and it won't improve GSF. Some people will always be better, a ranking, or bracket system, and solo queues could help.

, unless you are saying the aces would come up with a plan to steap aside and let one win over the other???

No, I am not saying that at all. I am saying in the event that there is only one Ace in a match he's still going to dominate and people will still be angry. Currently the Aces are already more spread out due to Galactic Seasons. I encounter less Ace level players in my matches than I used to, even when I know they are queuing at the same time. Its just the effect of having more active matches at any one time. And people still get angry with me for no other reason than the level I play at. That's never going to change. Ever. Even if matchmaker perfectly balances it, like this screen shot for example, people are still going to be angry at this level of play. So yes, one person would still decimate a match. You can't change that even with matchmaker fixes.Skill matters far too much in this game mode, and matchmaker will always have a hard time knowing someone's skill.

Which is why it is incumbent on people to put some level of work into understanding the game and learning how to play it. I'm not saying everyone should learn to play to Ace level, I appreciate that will never happen. But at the same time, expecting matchmaker to favor you for a 51% win ratio or higher - if you're one of those people who is not willing to make advances in his skill and understanding of the game - is unreasonable. However balanced matchmaker could be.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

/snip.

We're not going to agree on this, basically what's happening at the moment is 'Ranked' GSF players are being put in to groups with unranked, and not only that, they are heavily geared, trained, and mostly in groups. That is what's causing the huge imbalance. There's no point in saying , 'Get Good', because 1, they can't, they don't have time, 2. there aren't up to ranked level, and never will be.

In pvp, we have ranked & unranked, for this specific reason, you can't grab a new pvp player and throw them in to a ranked game, GSF needs something similar.

We're not going to agree on this, basically what's happening at the moment is 'Ranked' GSF players are being put in to groups with unranked, and not only that, they are heavily geared
Gearing is easy. You can't compare that to ground pvp gearing. If you have been in GSF 5 minutes, you have mastered ships already. I can also furnish you with a number of screen shots of me dominating in a Stock ship, as can any Ace.

trained,
Some received training, others figured it our on their own. But this is not an exclusive group. You say that like everyone can't access that training. All they have to do is ask.

and mostly in groups.
Not in the slightest. By some considerable margin, most true Aces do not like grouping because it would be so much of a walkover there would be no challenge. Most true Aces have to go solo to get any fun from the game, and even then, I can personally name a number of them that quit the game because it was still too easy. Take a look at my 100 try-hard games per server. Those stats are all solo. You over estimate how many Aces group. Most groups you see are made up vets / decent players, not Aces.

That is what's causing the huge imbalance. There's no point in saying , 'Get Good', because 1, they can't, they don't have time,
Yes they do. The countless names that I see in GSF day in day out, these guys have time. They just need to change their approach, not spend more time.

2. there aren't up to ranked level, and never will be.
This one I will give you. Not everyone is cut out to be an Ace. But the vast majority can improve with just a little tenacity. Give me the worst regular player in GSF, and I will transform then in one month, if they commit to trying.

In pvp, we have ranked & unranked, for this specific reason, you can't grab a new pvp player and throw them in to a ranked game, GSF needs something similar.
Ranked exists to allow people bragging rights and claim exclusive rewards. It does not exist to make regs PVP a better place. If that were the case, ranked players would be banned from regs. This comment kind of pretends that regs PVP is not a mess too, and that ranked level PVP players do not play regs too. Point is, even if you brought in ranked GSF, all it would do is let the Aces sort out who is the best. It wouldn't sort out regs GSF anymore than it has sorted out regs PVP. Edited by Ttoilleekul

Gearing is easy. You can't compare that to ground pvp gearing. If you have been in GSF 5 minutes, you have mastered ships already. I can also furnish you with a number of screen shots of me dominating in a Stock ship, as can any Ace.

No, you cannot master the ship in 5 mins, and that's insulting to say, you may get a rough grounding, but not mastering, at least not for most people.

Of course you can furnish a vid of you in stock ship, you are the ace, an ace pvp person could go in to unranked in base gear, and still kick ***. It doesn't mean anyone can.

Some received training, others figured it our on their own. But this is not an exclusive group. You say that like everyone can't access that training. All they have to do is ask.

Ask where? According to some, these forums are dead, not even worth looking in to (Not my words, others)

In game? People rarely talk in GSF matches, sometimes you get some say take a & b, or b&c, but no conversations. When anyone does mention they are new, most of the time it's ignored, or some one says, don't worry, I'm new too, etc. Don't think I've ever heard anyone actually offer advice, or say anything about training.

Not in the slightest. By some considerable margin, most true Aces do not like grouping because it would be so much of a walkover there would be no challenge. Most true Aces have to go solo to get any fun from the game, and even then, I can personally name a number of them that quit the game because it was still too easy. Take a look at my 100 try-hard games per server. Those stats are all solo. You over estimate how many Aces group. Most groups you see are made up vets / decent players, not Aces.

From the games I've played, the same people always seem to be on the same teams, maybe it's just RNG, but most of the walk overs, are because all the good players seem to end up together (again, it could be grouped, or just extremely bad luck) As for people quitting because it was too easy, another perfect reason for ranked, it takes the sharks out of the tide pool, and gives them an environment where they can compete, and challenge themselves

Yes they do. The countless names that I see in GSF day in day out, these guys have time. They just need to change their approach, not spend more time.

People can improve, but that isn't 'get good', that's just improving. As long as sharks are allowed to swim in the tide pool, minnows will forever be eaten alive, and never get a chance to evolve .

Ranked exists to allow people bragging rights and claim exclusive rewards. It does not exist to make regs PVP a better place. If that were the case, ranked players would be banned from regs. This comment kind of pretends that regs PVP is not a mess too, and that ranked level PVP players do not play regs too. Point is, even if you brought in ranked GSF, all it would do is let the Aces sort out who is the best. It wouldn't sort out regs GSF anymore than it has sorted out regs PVP.

It also exists to give the better players, a better challenge. And by giving them a better challenge. the leave unranked alone, and it give the unranked a chance to improve. All PvP is a mess, but that's not because the aces are running around unranked stomping everyone to the ground, it's because BW have messed up a lot, which to go in to would triple the size of this thread. It would sort it out better then PvP, as the actual GSF system is far superior , in fact PvP needs to have the GSF system.

But there's no point in arguing, the sharks want to stay in the tide pool and eat the minnows

If you're going to take everything I say as an insult we may as well give up now. .

Might as well give up, as you seem to like ignoring what I'm saying and picking out irrelevant details. I said it was insulting, I didn't say you insulted me, there's a strong distinction there. And you said 5 mins, not '5 mins' , there is also a difference there. You are claiming it's easy to gear up, then say it takes three weeks.

This is the issue, you are an ace, going I can do it in x time. The reason you can do it in X time, is you've already put in years of work, when you start a stock ship, you have the experience to navigate the matches, and chances are help your team win, new players don't have that.

You have the advantage, just like an ace PvPer has the advantage, and can gear up in no time. In fact gearing up for PvP is even easier, as you can do a lot more activities to gear up. No one is complaining about gear, you are just trying to pick on little details to try and twist things around. Gearing to PvP is the closest thing to gearing for GSF that we can match, it's why it's used as a 'sort' of measuring stick. You 'gear' up your ship, as you gear up a char.

Seriously?

then why mention it.

Yes, GSF channel.

Because YOU keep mentioning it, that there is so much help out there, but most of the people out there don't know, because not everyone uses the forums, or is part of your circular, and it definitely doesn't get mentioned in games on ANY server I've played GSF

At this point you are either being willfully ignorant or you are not reading what people say. I have literally offered you personal coaching to solve your problems. Given how much time you spend on here, you have the time to accept it. Sriia has made it abundantly clear in multiple posts how she has set up resources to help people, including a guide and a dedicated very active GSF discord. Other players have received help on here both from me and others. Failing that, find a good player in a match, whisper them and ask for help. That's what I did. You would be surprised to find it works. You, would be surprised to find it works. Other people do this all the time. You're just raising problems for the sake of raising problems now. These are not problems.

1, I don't spend a lot of time here, I used to spend a lot of time helping people, but I got sick of the trolls, ignorant people, and being targeted, etc. So I cut back. When I do answer, it usually between breaks in other things.

I've read everything people have said, I just don't agree with it. As I said, saying there is help available is great, but people don't see it in game. The issue here is not that I need help, it's that the newer player in general do, and they are in game, getting chewed up and spat out. And NOONE in game is helping there. People won't ask in game, because a lot of the time, they don't feel people are approachable.

The problems are there, they were always there, that's why the queue pops were so bad, that's why there were never any games, that's why GSF player campaigned to boost GSF, and that's why it was added to GS

Think about it for a second, why does GSF have so many points for so little effort, it has way more than PvP, even though it's PvP in space. Because it was dying. Now they revived it, and the holes are showing. You may want to stick your head in the sand, and say all is well, but not everyone does.

As for the rest, it just stinks of big fish ruling a little pond.

When is it right to switch to a Gunship? I started this Kuat TDM in a Strike. We got off to an early comfortable lead, but then the other team close ranks and stay tightly together. Which is exactly what you should do if your team is behind in a TDM. The result is it makes flying the strike into the heart of the action risky, as you likely have multiple people targeting you at once. This is what happens, and they start to catch up, even going ahead of us at one point. This is a good time to switch to a Gunship, where the range will mean you are under less pressure. However, it can also allow them to break their formation and start pressing you, so some knowledge of how to survive in a Gunship is valuable.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

A classic match from my archives. Been pruning my channel and going to post a few classic games. This one is from September 2020, and is still to date one of the best games I have been in. At the time I was decent in a Scout but not as good as I am now. I don't mind admitting that at the time I didn't fancy my chances contesting nodes against Yui, so I chose to go off-node clearing instead. Looking back at this match now, I can see lots of things I could've done to win it. Playing Scout for one, but even still, things I could've done in the Strike. Hero of the match goes to Yui, who glued himself to nodes, and was in a T2S that wasn't even mastered.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

• 2 weeks later...

Not one of my own videos today. This one is a friend of mine Lightsbaer-jerk, with an astonishing 40 kills in a Battle Scout. It takes special circumstances to go this high. Being the only Ace on either side, no other strong veterans, not a lot of focus, and a match that lasts a long time. But even with all that, most of all it takes an efficient player. This is a realm very few have achieved. I haven't done it yet. He is only one shy of Invis' 41, and four shy of Neutrinos' all time record in a Battle Scout, 44. Which I believe to be the overall record for any ship?

He also did a cool video edit for it. Top work Lightsaber-Jerk, Congratulations :D:cool:

Edited by Ttoilleekul

Not one of my own videos today. This one is a friend of mine Lightsbaer-jerk, with an astonishing 40 kills in a Battle Scout. It takes special circumstances to go this high. Being the only Ace on either side, no other strong veterans, not a lot of focus, and a match that lasts a long time. But even with all that, most of all it takes an efficient player. This is a realm very few have achieved. I haven't done it yet. He is only one shy of Invis' 41, and four shy of Neutrinos' all time record in a Battle Scout, 44. Which I believe to be the overall record for any ship?

He also did a cool video edit for it. Top work Lightsaber-Jerk, Congratulations :D:cool:

Yep 44 was the record and it was Neutrinos that held it. My record is sadly only 43 but it was in a Gunship.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised for Gundahar, but also for anyone else interested

I did actually equip this ship with stock clusters for this. Its an old toon that "only ever used Protons" back in my early days. And you can see I start the match with 26 and finish with 26. Not one cluster volley fired.

The sound goes out for about a 3rd of the match, so I did another video too. Its on the channel under the same name.

• 2 weeks later...

My feelings on Remote Slicing are no secret. If you've been here for five minutes, you know I strongly dislike it. But one argument made in defense of Remote Slicing has been that you need a noob friendly way of allowing low-skill people to compete with top pilots. This is an argument that was presented to me by people, who at the time, were significantly more experienced and skilled than me. So I rather accepted that argument in respect of said people's standing in the game. That is not the case anymore. My flying and my experience are at a level where I understand the intricacies far better.

So my argument presented today, is if you are a low a skill pilot - whether by being new or by being noob - you should not slice. My reason for saying this is that I firmly believe to slice at an early stage of your development stalls your progress and holds you back as a pilot. You become reliant on it. And as such you do not learn requisite skills like, for example, hitting a moving target with lasers.

Case in point, right here. >>>>

<<<<

This is a video from Satele Shan this week. Every server has its resident low-skill revenge fueled slicer. And since Satele Shan has a lower population than most servers, I encounter said person on SS every time I go there. Which for the record is once a week. I play one weekly per week on SS, and that's it. I do not return until the next week. Sometimes more than a week because I do not religiously play the same days on each server. Every week this same episode plays out. Said person tries relentlessly to slice me. Said person dies repeatedly in the process. Said person desperately needs to stop slicing, because he is excessively reliant on it.

Said person is used to slicing doing all the work for him. He comfortably gets 10 kills or so when not facing me. As shown by this screen shot HERE which was from the following match, where we were on the same team. He gets 10 kills to my 19. 35k damage to my 95k damage, and worst of all, only 29% accuracy. So he can't shoot, and he is used to slicing doing all the work for him, which is why he only has 35k damage, because that's mostly Proton kills. But as you see in the video, when faced with someone who knows how to counter slicing, he falls apart. And this is a story that repeats itself every week, usually for at least two matches.

In one part of the video, he appears to have given up trying to hunt me. Then he suddenly re-appears, this time with a DO. No doubt the DO has given him more confidence. Result? Exactly the same. DO doesn't make you a good player if you don't know how to use it. And slicing doesn't make you a good player if you don't know basic skills like getting more damage with lasers than missiles, or how to best turn your ship. Heck, he doesn't even know when best to hit the slice button. Its never going to work in this situation or in a fair fight. The only two ways he gets me with slicing is if my team is so bad that I can't make the difference, and I am being hunted by multiple opponents. Then, yes, being sliced can be the death knell. The 2nd is if I make a mistake. Which happens, on occasion, I am not pefect. But the point is its not reliable for him like it is on noobs, and he can't figure out why, because it works on everyone else.

In fairness to the other side of the argument, he probably does stop me from going 25+ in this match. I always have to assume every missile lock is him. I always have to Retro out of the lock before the missile is airborne, just in case its him, so that he can't slice me after the missile is launched. I constantly have to pay extra attention to the mini-map, to anticipate when he will appear. I have to make sure I don't reach too far into enemy territory, in case he slices me when I am surrounded. I generally have to play more cautiously. And being Iokath, I have to make sure I always have an EO, so that I can better deal with the effects of being sliced. So there is that. He achieved something. But did he achieve enough to warrant slicing? No, not in in my opinion. And since said person makes a bee line for me every time we are on opposite sides, and repeatedly gets blown up, I strongly feel that the efforts he is putting into focus slicing me would be better served learning some skill in GSF, rather than relying on one component.

There is a reason slicers are predominantly low-skill players. There is a reason you rarely see a top tier player slicing. There is a reason when someone gets angry with you, they inevitably pick slicing to try and finally shut you down.

Moral of the story kids? If you want to be good, don't slice. If you want to be really good, don't even use missiles.

Edit - forgot to mention he was also using Lockdown. He gets a total of 70points of engine drain with that combination, and still couldn't make it work.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

As promised for Gundahar, but also for anyone else interested

I did actually equip this ship with stock clusters for this. Its an old toon that "only ever used Protons" back in my early days. And you can see I start the match with 26 and finish with 26. Not one cluster volley fired.

The sound goes out for about a 3rd of the match, so I did another video too. Its on the channel under the same name.

Oh man sorry! I did watch these on youtube the other day but didn't know you had put this here. I even left thumbs ups:) Nice flying! Thanks for posting these really helps to watch! Careful ... we might learn all of your cheat codes lol

Watched the remote slicing this morning on my phone. Curious what was what was going on... anyhow checked here to see if you had typed anything. Glad you did and glad I checked.

Oh man sorry! I did watch these on youtube the other day but didn't know you had put this here. I even left thumbs ups:) Nice flying! Thanks for posting these really helps to watch! Careful ... we might learn all of your cheat codes lol
All good, glad you benefited from them. Hmm, one day I am going to post my collection of "you dirty filthy cheater!" screenshots :D :D

Watched the remote slicing this morning on my phone. Curious what was what was going on... anyhow checked here to see if you had typed anything. Glad you did and glad I checked.
I have tried to speak to this guy so many times, trying to reason with him on why slicing is holding him back. Even offered help. He doesn't listen. Decided it was time to post this, because people like this are what's wrong with GSF. Edited by Ttoilleekul

So I want to talk a little about Gunships. When I started training under Drakolich, and when Invis further took over my training, there were two primary things I was working hard to achieve. One was to be good in a Battle Scout, and the other was to be good in a Gunship. These two goals do share transferable skill sets, but they are also very different, and defensive / counter flying in a Gunship is in my opinion the hardest skill in the game, along side on-node clearing in a Scout.

I probably sound like a broken record when I say too many people give no thought or effort toward defensive / counter flying in a Gunship. This match is a very good demonstration of how to do that. This match is actually from 30th July, but since I have been busy pruning and organizing my channel, I have only just got around to watching it myself. So its already had a number of views, but its still worth sharing here. It's not me going on a rampage with a sky high score line, and it is not a match where I am allowed to sit still and happily snipe away. Its a good fun match that I have to work hard to win. I have to deal with Strikes and Scouts attacking me at the same time, our spawn being pushed, countering melee ships while avoiding other Gunships, and still get offensive enough to do some good damage. Even when getting offensive, I need to be very careful I don't expose myself to an easy shot. The whole thing is a delicate balance between defensive play and offensive play, and it demonstrates well what a Gunship is really capable of, and how it should be flown.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

If I hadn't watched this I would never believe a person could survive that kind of pressure in a GS. I think you were a couple minutes in before you were even able to use your rail gun. Also at least 2 blaster kills. In a gunship. 0 deaths. Nicely done!