New to healing. Need help with understanding the flashpoints system.

LuminousTouch

So I have never healed in any game ever. I wanted to it in this game with an operative. Is there a good place to practice healing? Solo flashpoints felt too easy. But I just tried the veteran flashpoints which specifically says they are role neutral. And I could not even come close to healing fast enough and it made it seem like it was required to be a good healer. I am confused. Are veteran flashpoints role neutral? Where or how should I practice healing. There is such a steep curve between solo and veteran flashpoints to me. Any help or answers would be appreciated.

So I have never healed in any game ever. I wanted to it in this game with an operative. Is there a good place to practice healing? Solo flashpoints felt too easy. But I just tried the veteran flashpoints which specifically says they are role neutral. And I could not even come close to healing fast enough and it made it seem like it was required to be a good healer. I am confused. Are veteran flashpoints role neutral? Where or how should I practice healing. There is such a steep curve between solo and veteran flashpoints to me. Any help or answers would be appreciated.

Veteran flashpoints are group activities, so of course they are more difficult if you don't have other players around. The best advice is to find a guild that will help you learn. That way, you'll be able to go at a slower pace through the flashpoints, and you'll have time to learn what is needed, and you'll be among people who understand that you won't be as effective as an experienced healer.

Vet flashpoints are good to learn in. They are role neutral, as mentioned, but there are kolto stations at the boss fights that can be used whether there's a healer in the group or not. Most bosses have mechanics that can be ignored in solo/story mode, but if people stand in what we refer to around here as "stupid" (big circles, or lines on the ground that aren't friendly), then all they're doing is stressing their healer, and many healers won't even attempt to heal someone who stands in "stupid."

Here's a link to an Operative healing guide.

One thing to remember about Operative/Scoundrel healing is that they are mostly a heal over time type healer. Meaning you can't wait and be reactive in your heals. You have to anticipate.

Spread your kolto probes around to all group members. Each time they crit you'll gain "tactical advantage" which will allow you to cast kolto infusion.

Anyway, read the guide and learn the skills and what does what and when. You'll be fine. Or you'll end up hating it. ;)

Well, a couple of things. If you've never healed in this game or a similar game, I would advice against starting with an operative. Operatives healing-style is more "proactive" than "reactive", if you start healing after somebody takes damage, it might already be too late as an operative. You need to know who is gonna take damage in the next couple of seconds in order to prepare the "target". Also, keeping track of all your hots while also keeping track of two differnet ressources can easily overwhelm newer players.

Sorcs or Mercs would probably be much easier to start with, because their style is more "reactive" (somebody loses hp -> you cast a heal).

As for where to start learning: Vet-Fp's are the right place in general, but there are some things to keep in mind. Since vet-fp's are role-neutral, you probably won't end up with the perfect trinity (1t, 1h, 2dps). You might end up with more than one healer (can't really learn healing, because there won't be much to heal) or with a bunch of low-lvl dps and no tank, which means, that agro (and damage) is gonna be everywhere, yourself included and healing is gonna be very though.

If you're in a guild or have some in-game friends, you should group up with them and make sure to get a ballanced group. If you have to rely on the gf and you meet a decent tank put him/her on your fl and ask him/her if you could queue together. Having a decent tank in your group will make your job a lot easier.

Last but not least: expect some setbacks. Especially if your going with a random group you'll probably end up having some unpleasant experiences while learning your class. Don't let that discourage you. :)

i mean solo content is a huge joke. It' meant ti be done by people who cant be bothered to do more than spamming basic attack. Veteran is the second lowest difficulty whrn talking about healing. The thing about the story and solo content is that it gives people absolutely no clue about the rest of the game.

Like gearing for example. Game doesnt even tell you you need to properly gear/augment/stat your toons and solo content is so dumbed down that it doesnt require it. Veteran is joke content as well, it's suppose to be doable without a healer.

I think you need to do some minimal gearing and learn about your class some, i know the solo content doesn't require it, but the rest of the game will, big time.

Operative healing is about keeping 2 stacks of probes on people and using various single target heals when they proc as well as the AOE hots which are very strong. Augment your gear. This and proplerly distributing your stats are 100% critical.

There's a 24 class disciplines thread in the roles forum for more details. Gear is mostly dropped from galactic command crates, but purchasable through vendors on fleet as well. You can buy 230 gear to start with, with yellow tokens from GC.

Not sure what happened in that flashpoint for you to not be able to 'heal fast enough' maybe people were standing in stupid and taking way more damage than they ought to. But yeah, that's considered really really easy content to heal.

i mean solo content is a huge joke. It' meant ti be done by people who cant be bothered to do more than spamming basic attack. Veteran is the second lowest difficulty whrn talking about healing. The thing about the story and solo content is that it gives people absolutely no clue about the rest of the game.

Like gearing for example. Game doesnt even tell you you need to properly gear/augment/stat your toons and solo content is so dumbed down that it doesnt require it. Veteran is joke content as well, it's suppose to be doable without a healer.

I think you need to do some minimal gearing and learn about your class some, i know the solo content doesn't require it, but the rest of the game will, big time.

Operative healing is about keeping 2 stacks of probes on people and using various single target heals when they proc as well as the AOE hots which are very strong. Augment your gear. This and proplerly distributing your stats are 100% critical.

There's a 24 class disciplines thread in the roles forum for more details. Gear is mostly dropped from galactic command crates, but purchasable through vendors on fleet as well. You can buy 230 gear to start with, with yellow tokens from GC.

Not sure what happened in that flashpoint for you to not be able to 'heal fast enough' maybe people were standing in stupid and taking way more damage than they ought to. But yeah, that's considered really really easy content to heal.

You're talking end-game here, but if the OP's still levelling, then he'll need to really be on the ball because he's not going to be getting those auto-crits that he'll get higher levels. Also he won't have his energy management abilities until around mid-level or so. Raising an Op healer from level 1 can be pretty strenuous if you're not a vet player.

• 3 years later...

Oddly enough, Veteran FPs can be harder to heal than Master mode. In master mode, most of the damage is being taken by a tank, who is designed to withstand it. In VM you can have 3 squishy DPS (or worse) to try to keep alive.

In VM, don't be reluctant to use the Koltos. The koltos help make up for the fact there's no tank, and your group would rather survive. 🙂

And be sure to look up 'healer' guides to get info on proper stat setups, etc.