Campaigns and progression

Ryanjfm

I started my first character on the old republic, I was looking to make another character and now I've two more what seems to be stand alone campaigns (fallen empire and onslaught) am I able to somehow progress to them with the character I have? Are they the next main campaigns after I become some high level or complete my class quest line?

I've no clue how it all works im v new, would just appreciate if someone could give me the run down.

I started my first character on the old republic, I was looking to make another character and now I've two more what seems to be stand alone campaigns (fallen empire and onslaught) am I able to somehow progress to them with the character I have? Are they the next main campaigns after I become some high level or complete my class quest line?

I've no clue how it all works im v new, would just appreciate if someone could give me the run down.

They are not standalone campaigns in the way that e.g. the different chapters and DLCs are standalone (independent) stories in ESO, nor in the way that Prophecies/Factions/Nightfall were in Guild Wars 1.

SWTOR has one main story sequence, and Fallen Empire and Onslaught are just different stages in that story. The sequence is approximately:

* Prologue: Starter world plus first half of the capital planet.

* Chapter 1: Rest of the capital planet plus the class missions up to the immediate follow-up to Alderaan.

* Chapter 2: Next part of the class missions up to the aftermath of Hoth.

* Chapter 3: Final part of the class missions up to the immediate aftermath of Corellia/

* Interlude: The story of Ilum.

* Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel (first expansion, Patch 2.0) on Makeb.

* Interlude: Forged Alliances, aka Prelude to Revan

* Chapter 5: Shadow of Revan (second expansion, Patch 3.0) on Rishi and Yavin 4.

* Interlude: Rise of the Emperor, on Ziost. (Patch 3.2)

* Knights of the Fallen Empire (third expansion, Patch 4.0).

* Knights of the Eternal Throne (fourth expansion, Patch 5.0).

* Fractured Alliances, aka "Traitor arc".

* Jedi Under Siege, on Ossus (Patch 5.9).

* Onslaught on Onderon and Mek-Sha (fifth expansion, Patch 6.0).

You can't directly launch into Onslaught because of some critically important decisions that happen at the very beginning of Jedi Under Siege.