Could Combat Styles open up a chance for New Classes?

gintheripper

Now don't take this as gospel or shoot the messenger but while I understand that the addition of Combat Styles is controversial it seems to me it could potentially make it easier to make a new Class and new story, especially if they don't have to make a new type of combat. We could get a Imperial Trooper that uses a Republic Trooper combat style,

or a SIS Officer who uses an Imperial Officer Combat Style. I know they would still have to write the story but if Combat Styles come out the way I think they will there might not be a need to go back to the programming drawing board for a new class. I know this actually happening is unlikely but I can see the potential for something like this in the Combat Styles update. Thought?, Opinions? I am genuinely curious what you guys think about my thoughts Please let me know?:cool:;);):rak_02:

You have it backwards. It would make it easier to add new combat classes (er, because they wouldn't need to add a new story). The primary cost of a new story class is the cost of story-writing, getting all the lines just so, and then designing all the cut-scene animation scripts and recording all the voice work(1), to say nothing of the expense of recruiting six new voice actors(2) for each faction. None of that is necessary for a new combat style.

(1) I've simplified the argument above. There would also be programming and scripting and rewritinig and so on of all the existing class-specific dialogue in any non-class mission anywhere in the game so that e.g. people greet you in a way that suits your story origin. (Wouldn't want to find your new Fighting Diplomat story-origin character being greeted as if the character is a smuggler, say.)

(2) Male and female in French, English and German. That's six, plus six more for the mirror class on the other side.

As SteveTheCynic has pointed out, it would make it much easier for them to add completely new Combat Styles without the need for any story considerations. They could add a "Tech Melee Vibroblade" Combat Style and all of the existing Tech Classes will be able to pick it.

Chris Schmidt, Game Design Director for SWTOR, has already confirmed in this

that they will be looking into creating new Combat Styles and lifting the weapon restrictions after the update has been released. Edited by Phazonfreak

As SteveTheCynic has pointed out, it would make it much easier for them to add completely new Combat Styles without the need for any story considerations. They could add a "Tech Melee Vibroblade" Combat Style and all of the existing Tech Classes will be able to pick it.

Chris Schmidt, Game Design Director for SWTOR, has already confirmed in this

that they will be looking into creating new Combat Styles and lifting the weapon restrictions after the update has been released.

...Am I the only one that sees 'Tech Melee Vibroblade' Combat Style, combines that with Bounty Hunter Origin, and gets 'Darksaber-wielding Mandalorian' as a result in their head?

...Am I the only one that sees 'Tech Melee Vibroblade' Combat Style, combines that with Bounty Hunter Origin, and gets 'Darksaber-wielding Mandalorian' as a result in their head?

Depends if they added a Darksaber as a Vibroblade (Sith/Jedi only) or a Techblade (gun classes only)...

(Yes, I know the lore says otherwise, but in SWTOR, Vibroswords are Force-user weapons.)

As many people have already thought about this so has bioware, Bioware has already stated that they are looking into it for 8.0 and beyond. It wont be 7.0 as they are getting the system ready. But its frees up Storyline, making mirror classes/specs, Voice Acting where they do not have to add additional voice actors they just tie them to pre-existing storylines.

So will it get the animations of the marauder or the juggernaut I wonder...