GPU usage 99%. Can't play the game.

Holscher

Hi.

I re-subbed to the game (feel like a moron), and wanted to give it another shot. I started a new char and started playing. I was level 4, when problems started to surface. My GPU would heat up to 87 Celsius, and the screen would start to flicker at every movement. I dusted my computer, and the vents, and got it down to 61. Using MSI Afterburner, I think I discovered the issue, 'cause it wasn't the temperature. Swtor will use 99% of my GPU. 99%! No other game does this to my PC. Not Dragon Age, Counter Strike, World of Warcraft.... No other! I'm using Geforce Experience, so my driver is always up to date, and it will automatically set the in-game graphics. Anyway, I tried to fiddle around manually with the settings... Still 99% usage!

My PC's specs:

Intel Core i7 4700MQ

Geforce GTX 770M, 3GB GDDR5

8 GB DDR3(L) RAM

I should have no problems running this game on very high settings.

Can anyone help me, or suggest something that might help.

To be honest your Laptops graphics card is going to struggle. This game is a graphics hog! What I'd recommend is turning all graphics settings to low and see how it handles it, then progressively turn them up until youre happy.

Also make sure your laptop is utilising the card correctly. GeForce Experience is very temperamental with games and it doesn't always update your driver.

• 6 years later...

Honestly your graphics and CPU are stronger than mine, and my laptop runs this game pretty much at max with no frame drops.

Intel Core i5 10300h

Geforce GTX 1650TI

32GB DDR4 RAM

2TB SSD

Disable max shadows, perhaps.

Edited by Loadsamonie

It's the shadows! I just turned the shadow settings to low and it halved the GPU usage!

I've mentioned many times that shadowing in this game is not at all efficiently implemented, and throwing more hardware at it only goes so far. EA needs to revisit shadows in all respects.