Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Nozybidaj
02.27.2012 , 04:58 PM | #451
Quote: Originally Posted by Suaine View Post
Considering that Mass Effect 3 is notable for finally including a gay romance for male Shepard, I think it's at least a little bit relevant here, don't you agree?
Agreed, so long as any potential ME MMO includes same gender content from day 1 (and isn't made by BW-Austin) I'd definitely give that game a look.

Sarfux
02.27.2012 , 05:14 PM | #452
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Agreed, so long as any potential ME MMO includes same gender content from day 1 (and isn't made by BW-Austin) I'd definitely give that game a look.
That's mass effect though...this is Star Wars. It's a different universe. Why is it such an issue to have same sex romances?

Now before you get all huffy puffy and defensive, why do people get so pissed if they don't put them in? I never got that...and I know just because I don't get it doesn't mean others don't either

I'm just curious as to why some people are very VERY vocal about this. Thankyou
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Suaine
02.27.2012 , 05:18 PM | #453
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post
That's mass effect though...this is Star Wars. It's a different universe. Why is it such an issue to have same sex romances?

Now before you get all huffy puffy and defensive, why do people get so pissed if they don't put them in? I never got that...and I know just because I don't get it doesn't mean others don't either

There is romance in the game. That's why.
We have to create the future, or others will do it for us. We have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will?
~ Susan Ivanova, Anla-shok Na, space bisexual

sevenpsych
02.27.2012 , 05:22 PM | #454

Think of it from a different standpoint. What if all the relationships in the game were gay only?

Uluain
02.27.2012 , 05:24 PM | #455
I think it's relevant, particularly with the concept of "possibility space". And I think BioWare wanted to get this right with same gender content, but there was a fumble along the way, and they're trying to catch up. In a word, I think they're embarrassed, and that this, as much as anything, contributes to their silence.

I don't think it is an issue of dodging negative publicity for same-gender content at all. Truth be told, that really and truly is not that unusual these days. Didn't EA do the Sims? And talk about a mainstream game. No - I don't think they are concerned for having to defend this content in that way. They aren't talking to their customers. Why should they talk to the press?

Lurkz
02.27.2012 , 05:31 PM | #456
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I think it's relevant, particularly with the concept of "possibility space". And I think BioWare wanted to get this right with same gender content, but there was a fumble along the way, and they're trying to catch up. In a word, I think they're embarrassed, and that this, as much as anything, contributes to their silence.

I don't think it is an issue of dodging negative publicity for same-gender content at all. Truth be told, that really and truly is not that unusual these days. Didn't EA do the Sims? And talk about a mainstream game. No - I don't think they are concerned for having to defend this content in that way. They aren't talking to their customers. Why should they talk to the press?
Unfortunately for us, it's easier to ignore the customers than to ignore the press. I imagine, assuming of course that there is an uproar from the extremist groups after ME3 is officially released, they will have to say something to the press, even if it's a simple press release that says "we stand by our inclusiveness in Mass Effect 3."

That said, I think you're right about the fact that, at this point, they're mostly trying to make up for the fumble at the beginning and have, for whatever reason, decided that not speaking about it is the best approach until they've fixed their blunder internally.
The Nightborn Legacy - Ebon Hawk - Aquillian Rangers
Captain Jaxx - Gunslinger || Caiden - Jedi Sentinel

...Holospectrum...

Uluain
02.27.2012 , 05:35 PM | #457
Why are people vocal about anything? Because it's important to them. I am sorry if that visibility makes you uncomfortable. But I think its better for folks to understand that this is not content with a small, fringe following - this is something people expect in a game featuring romantic / flirting content in 2012.

DarthEpitaph
02.27.2012 , 05:41 PM | #458

I know Suaine already answered this, but I am going to again because I think it's important.

First, thank you for asking, many people who don't understand our questions have been far less pleasant about it.

This game is advertised as a story-based MMO. The companion interaction with your character is a focal point of these stories; so much so that the companions have a part driving the story forward. The game allows romances between your character and one of your companions - if the companion is the opposite gender from your character.

So the fact is that we are part of a story driven game with a romance option that is available to some people, but not all.

I guess a summary of why people are upset might be:
- This is a highly story-based game
- Romances are already part of that story
- But not for those who prefer their own gender

If opposite gender romances were not included in the game, I believe this would be much less of an issue. Certainly I would not expect a game to have only same-gender romance. However, with the inclusion of opposite gender romance, there is no rational reason why same-gender romances should not be included as well.

This design choice, along with the fact that we have been continually ignored in the Q&A thread despite similar vague questions getting "yes we are working on it" answers, is what I would consider to be the root of much of the frustration here.

I'm rambling, but again, here are some things people should understand if they aren't actively following this thread:
- We don't want SGRAs because it's Star Wars, we want them because OGRAs are already in-game.
- We don't want SGRAs for political reasons, we want them because OGRAs are already in-game.
- We don't want this to the exclusion of other updates, just alongside them.
- We don't want a hard deadline, we just want some confirmation that they are working on it.
- [edited to add] If at all possible, we would like to know how they will be implemented.

Because some of us are holding off on leveling characters because we don't want to miss out on potential story elements. And also because no one in any official capacity is talking to us

Sorry to everyone here if it seems I am speaking for them, in the end all opinions in this post are mine alone. YMMV.

Cykun
02.27.2012 , 05:42 PM | #459

Because BioWare has put same sex romances in every game they've released with a romance option since Dragon Age and, this may come as a shock to some people, but sometimes gay people like to role play as gay characters in role playing games. And, really, BioWare has no one to blame but themselves. Before Dragon Age I was totally fine with hetero romances but once they started putting in gay ones I was hooked. I can never go back. So, yeah, that's pretty much why.

KCjoker
02.27.2012 , 05:47 PM | #460
I wasn't aware this was an issue....bottom line is they either don't think it's important or atleast not important enough for the pr problem. Have to say I agree, the small % of people that want this are likely minimal to the amount that would be upset by it. Bioware has much larger issues with the game that need to be fixed/updated than this IMO.