the 4 billion credit cap for Subscribers is worse than F2P limits

Carba

4 billion used to be way out of reach. Now it is less than the cost of 5 level 77 augments. Crafters must be careful when collecting sales proceeds to not exceed the cap. That cap can easily be exceeded by one crafting run set of augments. Not well thought out. Worse than F2P which at least was purpose designed.

Wait?! There is a cap on subscriber banking? How does that even remotely make sense?

It's a programming limit. The highest possible number in a 32 bit integer is 2^32-1 = 4,294,967,295.

You can't have more than that, if you get more credits, they vanish. (Could be worse: could roll over to 0.)

The legacy bank can hold more, that's likely a 64 bit float, so it can hold ridiculous numbers but starts rounding down the lowest digits once you're past 15 zeroes. So, even with the current inflation, it will still take a while before the first whales complain about losing 5 credits in the legacy bank

Edited by Mubrak

Wait?! There is a cap on subscriber banking? How does that even remotely make sense? Is it the legacy or individual holding?

Computer games typically have to reserve a certain amount of 'space' to store your currency total, which means there is going to be a maximum value it can physically store: The only question is "is this 'cap' is high enough to be basically irrelevant in actual play?"

4 billion used to be way out of reach. Now it is less than the cost of 5 level 77 augments. Crafters must be careful when collecting sales proceeds to not exceed the cap. That cap can easily be exceeded by one crafting run set of augments. Not well thought out. Worse than F2P which at least was purpose designed.

Sounds like first world problems. I wonder how many crafters there are who might not have even noticed they are getting capped on creds. :D

But back to the topic... you can always list less at a time, list them from different toons, or the most obvious: list them cheaper.

It's a programming limit. The highest possible number in a 32 bit integer is 2^32-1 = 4,294,967,295.

You can't have more than that, if you get more credits, they vanish. (Could be worse: could roll over to 0.)

The legacy bank can hold more, that's likely a 64 bit float, so it can hold ridiculous numbers but starts rounding down the lowest digits once you're past 15 zeroes. So, even with the current inflation, it will still take a while before the first whales complain about losing 5 credits in the legacy bank

It's more likely a 64-bit *integer* (there's no virtue in being able to represent fractional credits).

It's more likely a 64-bit *integer* (there's no virtue in being able to represent fractional credits).

Keep in mind, though, that a double can not only have fractions, but also up to 307 digits on the left side of the decimal point. That's tens of thousands of centillions, while a 64 bit integer can hold a mere 18 quintilion (or trillion depending on how you count) :p

Okay, okay, actually I was just assuming it's a double, because it's still large enough at 100% precision, and less effort to use in 32 bit code than a 64 bit int.

Edited by Mubrak

32 bits in 2020. I knew they were incompetent, but that takes the cake. This is what you get with the trophy generation. Morons with no capacity to actually think.

What do you need so many credits for? If you need space, go shopping. ;)

maybe he's a credit seller and BW are crimping his style ;) *That's a joke before any mod freaks out*

Personally, I enjoy the buying and selling on the gtn, haven't reached enough to fill my legacy bank, but I've definitely passed the char cap. As the original OP hasn't replied, I wasn't sure it was a genuine post. But it's possible he was claiming all, without looking at what was there, and hit the cap, and lost some creds. But i doubt he's reached the max legacy limit.

If each character can hold 4 billion, then it would seem easy enough to store credits on alts. And it's easy enough to make alts, just to act as storage mules for items and credits.

I have 23 characters at this time. That would mean I could have 96 billion credits? (23x4 + 4L)

I could make another 'mule' for an even 100 billion. (Not that I would ever have that much - I tend to actually spend credits. 😀 )

If each character can hold 4 billion, then it would seem easy enough to store credits on alts. And it's easy enough to make alts, just to act as storage mules for items and credits.

I have 23 characters at this time. That would mean I could have 96 billion credits? (23x4 + 4L)

I could make another 'mule' for an even 100 billion. (Not that I would ever have that much - I tend to actually spend credits. 😀 )

I've 80+ chars on SF alone, don't think I'll have any issue with storing credits....lol. I do spend mine too, but at this stage I've bought all I want & need, and 99% on collections, etc. I'm running out of things to buy...lol

Edited by DarkTergon

Keep in mind, though, that a double can not only have fractions, but also up to 307 digits on the left side of the decimal point. That's tens of thousands of centillions, while a 64 bit integer can hold a mere 18 quintilion (or trillion depending on how you count) :p

Okay, okay, actually I was just assuming it's a double, because it's still large enough at 100% precision, and less effort to use in 32 bit code than a 64 bit int.

When speaking to someone who's not shy about being a programmer, try to get your facts about programming correct, please.

To use a 64-bit int in code, you tell the compiler that you want the int to be 64-bit, and you go to it:

>>> uint64_t biginteger = 0;

rather than (for 32-bit):

>>> uint32_t lessbiginteger = 0;

The compiler takes care of all the messy details and differences in how 32-bit and 64-bit environments do 64-bit arithmetic.

Um. The cap on the legacy storage is 100 billion.

• 2 months later...
the 4 billion credit cap for Subscribers is worse than F2P limits

The real crux of the problem, 4 billion credits aren't worth what they used to be, and that's on the gold sellers and the players who support them.

People know credits will fast-track crafting, get them the stuff they want, buy their way out of working for what they want, and the gold sellers are all too happy to oblige.

And it's cyclical. More money in the game means whales on the GTN can charge more, instigating another round of credit-buying by players from the gold sellers, meaning there's more money in the game...

Edited by xordevoreaux

The real crux of the problem, 4 billion credits aren't worth what they used to be, and that's on the gold sellers and the players who support them. ...

Are you sure its the gold sellers who are at the start of this, or the insane prices some ppl thing their stuff is worth and the small "gotta' have everything crowd. Things are so expensive that some ppl resort to gold sellers, and when that expensive thing sells, another one is put for sale.

I'm not enough naive to thing that if prices were 10% current prices there would be no gold sellers., there will always be lazy and/or impatient folks. We don't see the gold sellers spamming starter planets now and less game mail so that should have made some difference in the gold seller business - yet prices remain high.