Suggestion: dealing with damage farmers

OpenSorce

This poor tank takes a chance and wants to try ranked, gets pwnd and let the fleet shaming commence. Next day - let’s ask for a healer cause maybe all tanks suck in pvp… rinse, repeat until you’re screaming on a forum in 500,000 different threads copy and pasting stuff.

Problem is: Tanking... it is very unintuitive in ranked from the second you join, all you do is a mistake. You need DPS gear and a shield, already 50% of the casual tanks fail to provide that, you need to guard 80% of the casual tanks fail - nevermind swapping guard. Tanks had the biggest impact (as a class) in 7.0, if you were **** - your team will let you know, guardswap 1s late? Get flamed. Die in tanktunnel without 2nd ED? Get flamed, well ok - not possible in 7.0 but I'm talking about last season since I haven't seen tanks in solos yet. On tank you basically have to have: Correct gear, focus target modifier, target target of target keybind, keep track of breakers, keep track of both teams dcds, taunt, drop guard in case you'd die, stay in 4m range and DPS, but don't outrange guard, CC and hardstun, push the enemy tank down, see lethals and don't get tank tunneled.

There is N O T H I N G you can do correct on tank, yes, tanks did have a bigger impact on the outcome - but in games vs. non-bot tanks it was the hardest class to play on a decent level, most of the things I listed you didn't have to do on a DPS, or maybe just to a lesser extend. Problem that occurs now is that, if the enemy tank is a.... "totally new player" vs. a good tank the game is over. It's straight up over, the only thing they could do is tanktunnel to keep the other tanks impact low, which is why I think tanktunnel is a valid strat.

That is why tanks get hate, once bad tanks start to queue they are getting bullied out before an actual tank can take the freewins, because that isn't fun for all the DPS.

Also: Healer games suck :mad:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is why tanks get hate, once bad tanks start to queue they are getting bullied out before an actual tank can take the freewins, because that isn't fun for all the DPS.

Also: Healer games suck :mad:

You're not wrong, tanking is definitely the more difficult of the trinity in ranked while simultaneously being the most impactful.

I would like to add one important bit of context to tanking criticism in ranked. Since the days of having dozens of servers and no-cross faction PVP, there has always been a distrust of "bad tanks" in ranked. Similarly to heals, tanks get matched up specifically with other tanks and if one tank is clearly superior to the other, the former will win nearly every time. Such a disparity in skill is often used by "not bad tanks" to climb by farming "bad tanks" for ELO. It's not always clear if the "bad tank" is being coerced to queue solo ranked for the benefit of the "not bad tank" or is simply in the wrong place wrong time. Regardless, ranked players get very suspicious when they see a "bad tank" continue to queue solos, especially when another tank is in queue who seems to benefit the most from the "bad tank's" presence.

Anecdotally, I remember having many climbs ruined because of tanks farming "bad tanks" in order to gain hundreds of ELO in a night. It's well-known secret that some tanks will look for "bad tanks" on fleet and pay them to queue ranked. BW is not totally in the dark in this because usually the classes which most commonly have their rank reset are tank specs for that very reason.

That's not to say I approve of flaming tanks that don't perform well as I want tanks who are genuinely interested in getting better in ranked to keep queueing. However, I would be lying to you if I told you I don't get suspicious if I keep seeing a "bad tank" remaining in queue, especially when another tank is clearly benefiting.