The Monetization Timebomb

FlatTax

LMAO, I knew you’d get it you big nerd 😆

[/snickers ... ]

Did you catch the (not so subtle) message in the transmission ?

severe static interruption occurring once again ....

You will lower your expectations and surrender your ship. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us.

Resistance is futile.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're less than 60 days out from the end of GS Season 1, and EA is hoping it'll spur a rash of cash purchases, as items from a grind we were never intended to complete threaten to disappear.

This thread has two purposes. The first is to encourage everyone not to pay this timebomb's ransom; it'll only encourage the further devaluation of our subscriptions with more monetized mechanics, on top the $155.88 we pay, year over year.

The second, to serve as a place to express dissent over the ugliness of this kind of monetization.

First, that not going to work, anyone who was going to buy would have done so, or will do what's best for them, not you.

Second. Well cannot speck for anyone else, but personally I liked this much more than DvL event of a few years back. Sure would have been better if it did not have all the bugs when it first started. Plus would have been nice if there were more options for dailies, as many were just not my thing. Overall however I give this event 8/10. DvL from a few years back 5/10. So....not really much dissent from me. As BW have already said that many things will change for season two from reading the feedback, so next time if it is also bug free (I can hope) might even get a 9/10

Why can you guys see it. BW is nickel and diming us pass our subscription. Galactic Season force us to buy Cartel Coins. It’s so obvious, I don’t understand why you can’t see it like FlatTax!!!

There are 100 levels. It takes 800 points to get to level 100!!!!! 800 Points!!!!! That’s 8 points per level. You can earn 3 points per daily. With only 2 dailies!!! That is 6 Points a day!!! 12 Points for weekly. Again, there are only 2 weeklies. So maximum number of points per week of a player can earn is 66. So, reach level 100 in Galactic Season it will take 12.1 weeks. Since Galactic Season started on Apr 27, 2021 and ends on Sep 27, 2021. That only gives us 21 weeks to complete Galactic Season. How is anyone supposed to complete it without buying Cartel Coins?!?! To add insult to injury. You earn 2,000 Cartel Coins!!!. 200 Cartel Coins every 5 levels. After level 3 (skipping level 8 but earned on level 100)

So, putting in the bare minimum work without purchasing cartel coins and not using your security key or subscription ones. It takes 9.6 weeks out of 21 weeks to earn all rewards, this using the free cartel coins to reduce the amount of effort.

BW is greedy forcing us to buy cartel coins!!!!

Notes:

*These numbers are based solely on be sub since that is what the thread is about.

**I'm being sarcastic. I know someone reading this will think I'm seriously siding with OP.

***Took a week off due to any bugs that occurred. (I just recently resub so unsure on if there were any bugs that prevent erranding points) **EDIT**

Edited by Warrgames

Why can you guys see it. BW is nickel and diming us pass our subscription. Galactic Season force us to buy Cartel Coins. It’s so obvious, I don’t understand why you can’t see it like FlatTax!!!

There are 100 levels. It takes 800 points to get to level 100!!!!! 800 Points!!!!! That’s 8 points per level. You can earn 3 points per daily. With only 2 dailies!!! That is 6 Points a day!!! 12 Points for weekly. Again, there are only 2 weeklies. So maximum number of points per week of a player can earn is 66. So, reach level 100 in Galactic Season it will take 12.1 weeks. Since Galactic Season started on Apr 27, 2021 and ends on Sep 27, 2021. That only gives us 21 weeks to complete Galactic Season. How is anyone supposed to complete it without buying Cartel Coins?!?! To add insult to injury. You earn 2,000 Cartel Coins!!!. 200 Cartel Coins every 5 levels. After level 3 (skipping level 8 but earned on level 100)

So, putting in the bare minimum work without purchasing cartel coins and not using your security key or subscription ones. It takes 9.6 weeks out of 21 weeks to earn all rewards, this using the free cartel coins to reduce the amount of effort.

Notes:

*These numbers are based solely on be sub since that is what the thread is about.

**I'm being sarcastic. I know someone reading this will think I'm seriously siding with OP.

If you can't see why EA is monetizing subscriber game mechanics, all I can say is you're EA's kind of person.

Notes:

I appreciate the sarcasm of your post, but your maths are off. The season runs for 22 weeks, and you forgot the four-day log in points.

22 (8 + 3(2)(7) + 12(2)) = 1628 total available points, or enough to get to level 203.5.

It would take less than 11 weeks to get to rank 100. That means one could easily max one server whilst ignoring the rest, and then still have enough time to switch to another server and hit max level on that one, too.

I have two accounts. I have not done everything during the season, not done a single operation, flashpoint, or warzone, and not spent a single CC to advance through the season, and yet I am level:

Star Forge

• Main -- 98
  • Alt -- 92

Satele Shan:

• Main -- 93
  • Alt -- 90

Darth Malgus:

• Main -- 83
  • Alt -- 68

The OP is tilting at windmills.

Edited by ceryxp

I appreciate the sarcasm of your post, but your maths are off. The season runs for 22 weeks, and you forgot the four-day log in points.

22 (8 + 3(2)(7) + 12(2)) = 1628 total available points, or enough to get to level 203.5.

It would take less than 11 weeks to get to rank 100. That means one could easily max one server whilst ignoring the rest, and then still have enough time to switch to another server and hit max level on that one, too.

I have two accounts. I have not done everything during the season, not done a single operation, flashpoint, or warzone, and not spent a single CC to advance through the season, and yet I am level:

Star Forge

• Main -- 98
  • Alt -- 92

Satele Shan:

• Main -- 93
  • Alt -- 90

Darth Malgus:

• Main -- 83
  • Alt -- 68

The OP is tilting at windmills.

I forget to add I took a week off due to any bugs that occurred since I just resub recently.

Did not know about the 4day log in points because I was not around on launch of the GS.

You guys are missing the forest for the trees.

Grinds paired with cash-outs are a form of paywall, and exist to incentivize cash transactions. You're focusing on the achievability of the grind instead of asking why subscribers are being subjected to a monetized mechanic at all.

It's a mistake that's fueling the decline of gaming.

Edited by FlatTax

Grinds paired with cash-outs are a form of paywall, and exist to incentivize cash transactions. You're focusing on the achievability of the grind instead of asking why subscribers being subjected to a monetized mechanic at all.

EA is a business. SWTOR is a product. If EA needs additional income to keep the product going then finding additional revenue streams is completely legit.

$1 today has 25% less buying power than it did when the game launched - your sub, which hasn't kept up with inflation, no longer covers what it did.

Reality check: there's nothing in GS that I find compelling enough to feel I 'must' complete it. In fact, I see it as free money. I've stopped buying CC since I can rack them up so quickly playing GS. If anyone else is like me, EA will see a drop in income. I have to assume they've done the math and found some benefit to this model.

Edited by Sir-steve

Grinds paired with cash-outs are a form of paywall, and exist to incentivize cash transactions. You're focusing on the achievability of the grind instead of asking why subscribers are being subjected to a monetized mechanic at all.

There you go, chasing after windmills again. At least you are consistent.

No, it is not a grind. I have achieved what I did by simply playing the game. Now, I admit that I do have an advantage over you able bodied individuals being that I do not work and thus have a bit more time to play than others. Then again, it is Tuesday, PT day, so I will not get much playing done today, and I do have an appointment tomorrow morning, which means I am going to have to take a nap when I get home, so that is going to impact my play time tomorrow, and then PT again on Friday. Jeeze, it looks like I will not be getting much done this week. Oh, wait, I forgot. Most weeks are like this. And yet I have still gotten as far as I have by just playing the game.

Your windmills are dilapidated and your whines are pathetic. You keep trying to tell us what it is when our own experiences tell us otherwise. Maybe if you whined less on the forums and played the game more you, too, would reach level 100 by just playing the game.

Edited by ceryxp

I think it is more you see what you want to see regardless of the facts. It has been proven by math that it is easy to complete GS without trying if you just play the game. You even make 2000 cartel coins in doing so.

Reading your posts reminds of a video by College Humor. If "Google Was A Guy: Vaccines cause Autism."

You only accept things or people that support your belief despite all the facts against it. When ask to provide facts to support your opinion you just recite you opinion as if it is fact.

I think it is more you see what you want to see regardless of the facts. It has been proven by math that it is easy to complete GS without trying if you just play the game. You even make 2000 cartel coins in doing so.

Reading your posts reminds of a video by College Humor. If "Google Was A Guy: Vaccines cause Autism."

You only accept things or people that support your belief despite all the facts against it. When ask to provide facts to support your opinion you just recite you opinion as if it is fact.

You're defending game-affecting grinds being paired with cash-outs, on top of a subscription.

"But the grind is easy!" doesn't get us around the structural problem being presented.

Edited by FlatTax

You're defending game-affecting grinds being paired with cash-outs, on top of a subscription.

"But the grind is easy!" doesn't get us around the structural problem being presented.

I never said the grind was easy. What I said was it was easy to complete GS. Nothing about GS is a grind. It's an easy way to earn rewards and rewards players missed. I sorry you free that logging into the game and playing it is a grind. To me I enjoy playing the game its why sub. So logging into play the game isn't a grind.

You are EA perfect customer. You are unhappy and keep paying them money for a product you are unhappy with.

I dislike GS, it doesn't spark joy, and I'm glad I've done mine, but ti's not game breaking, no contents are lost if you ignore it completely. If anyone wants to pay cc to unlock GS... well, if they have too much cc, good for them to spend it, I guess.

This whole thread is outdated.

The "timebomb" went off years ago. This game barely gets any new playable content in its updates, compared to what it did from 1.0-3.x, and less so during 4.x. Ever since the chapter model of KotFE didn't work out, SWTOR hasn't had much of a creative direction aside from making sure to sell as much from the CM as possible, though 6.0 did bring some changes to gearing and combat.

This isn't to take anything away from the developers who do work hard on the game and make the small story and group content updates SWTOR does get, but it doesn't have enough of a budget to even support all its existing game modes, let alone do so well. The budget is just enough to keep around a certain base of Old Republic fans, with an emphasis on selling CCs/CM items to any type of player who might log in. The Steam launch last year seems to have given BW and EA some ideas on how to sell the old content/CM items all over again to newer audiences.

Overall, the microtransactions in this game have never been terribly exploitive, certainly nothing that directly affected gameplay, and added a lot to its cosmetic aspects. If you accepted that EA wasn't going to support the actual game well, which again has been the case for many years, there's nothing particularly new going on with monetization in SWTOR.

Galactic Seasons daily objectives often take as little as 5 minutes to complete, and the weekly objectives are typically 3 of those. There's literally no reason to ever use CCs on the system, and in-game credits are even available as a catch up mechanism overall if you can't log in 3-4 times in a week during the season.

Edited by arunav

It's a simple reward system that not only gives subs a chance to get rewards (companion, gifts to get the comp up to level 50, some mounts, some armor sets, some weapons, some decos, etc.. ) by playing the game, but gives them a chance to earn CCs much faster than subbing alone. You can repeat the process on other servers and end up earning up to 20000 CCs in just over 2 months time. That would cost you $140 US to buy.

You can cry all day how this is somehow unethical in your mind. If your argument was that this game isn't worth the subscription, then you might be able to make some valid points. But instead, you want to hammer home a negative narrative on an incentive that rewards players to play the game.

You're trying to recruit followers to your misguided criticism. I don't think anyone is buying it. If this is so bad, you'd probably make a stronger statement by just cancelling your sub. I don't know what you expect in life, but when I pay for entertainment, I expect the entertainer to try to make money. I'm perfectly capable of deciding what I'll pay for. You're acting like we're just lemmings being led to the cliff and you're here to save us ... Seriously, dude ... we're not going to give Bioware all our money just because they "tricked" us by giving us a chance to earn extra CCs. I'm surprised you aren't complaining about the 500 they give us each month we sub. That would clearly be doing the same thing.

It's a simple reward system that not only gives subs a chance to get rewards (companion, gifts to get the comp up to level 50, some mounts, some armor sets, some weapons, some decos, etc.. ) by playing the game, but gives them a chance to earn CCs much faster than subbing alone. You can repeat the process on other servers and end up earning up to 20000 CCs in just over 2 months time. That would cost you $140 US to buy.

You can cry all day how this is somehow unethical in your mind. If your argument was that this game isn't worth the subscription, then you might be able to make some valid points. But instead, you want to hammer home a negative narrative on an incentive that rewards players to play the game.

You're trying to recruit followers to your misguided criticism. I don't think anyone is buying it. If this is so bad, you'd probably make a stronger statement by just cancelling your sub. I don't know what you expect in life, but when I pay for entertainment, I expect the entertainer to try to make money. I'm perfectly capable of deciding what I'll pay for. You're acting like we're just lemmings being led to the cliff and you're here to save us ... Seriously, dude ... we're not going to give Bioware all our money just because they "tricked" us by giving us a chance to earn extra CCs. I'm surprised you aren't complaining about the 500 they give us each month we sub. That would clearly be doing the same thing.

My position is pretty modest:

Our game mechanics shouldn't be monetized beyond our subscriptions.

Edited by FlatTax

You don't need to pay credits, or CC's to finish GS.

BUT the system is a cynical way to pretend to give more, for nothing, it has also put in a system, where people can 'buy' their way to the end, BW knew this, it's why from the very start, you could use cc's. They know a certain % of the population would pay up.

You don't need to pay credits, or CC's to finish GS.

BUT the system is a cynical way to pretend to give more, for nothing, it has also put in a system, where people can 'buy' their way to the end, BW knew this, it's why from the very start, you could use cc's. They know a certain % of the population would pay up.

My prediction: Once the cash-out system is normalized, they'll make the rewards harder to ignore, and the grind more onerous.

Edited by FlatTax

My prediction: Once the cash-out system is normalized, they'll make the rewards harder to ignore, and the grind more onerous.

Oh yeah? These sound like great rewards. What are we talking? Please enlighten us.

You don’t have to pay. Play the content and get it for free. SIMPLE!!

No one is twisting your arm to use CC or credits. If you can’t play the content those are options for you. But if someone is too lazy to play the content and doesn’t want to pay for the short cut or catch up, that’s on them.

I really don’t understand the purpose of this thread. I’ve finished my GS by playing the content. I didn’t pay for anything.. There is still 1 and 1/2 months to go and that till get you half way through.

this coming from the person who constantly complains about having to guide her wife through various activities which she absolutely hates all in service to this GS nonsense.

I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment already.

this coming from the person who constantly complains about having to guide her wife through various activities which she absolutely hates all in service to this GS nonsense.

And if I can do it and my wife can do it, then it’s not hard. Neither of us have even played the live game for a whole month. And there’s still over a month to go.

And if I can do it and my wife can do it, then it’s not hard. Neither of us have even played the live game for a whole month. And there’s still over a month to go.

The achievability of the grind isn't the issue. It simply doesn't matter. Nor does the perceived unimportance of the loot.

What matters is the existence of an in-game loot grind with cash-outs, on top of our subscription.

Structurally, and I would argue morally, that's a problem. We shouldn't wait until something of great value gets walled behind the 89th level of a monetized grind to speak out, or, frankly, to see the problem at all.

Maybe it's my age but I really don't play many new games anymore. I find them generally devoid of a soul because of things like this. My hope is set on these new studios from people that have left Blizzard and BioWare for example.

Have you played Outer Wilds. I think you'd find that it's a new game with lots of soul