Star Wars, the High Republic ?

Floplag

Am i the only one that thinks with yesterdays announcements its time to move the game forward in history?

The next grouping of films will be based around a time about 200 years before the Skywalker saga, this would seem to be the perfect time to move away from the old republic, and step into the next generation to me.

Thoughts?

Sidenote on what should be obvious, can we please keep the 420 jokes to a minimum, thx :)

Edited by Floplag

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m expecting maybe one or two very subtle references to SWTOR in the new series.

Kinda like how Lucas brought Ilum into Canon from Legends (though SWTOR wasn’t even a concept at the time of Ilum’s creation).

Maybe finish up the SWTOR story and close the game, take experiences of what was successful in this game and what failed. Hope EA gets rights or permission to make a new MMORPG (spiritual successor to SWTOR) in the new series.

Edited by UltraFlashStar

I’m expecting maybe one or two very subtle references to SWTOR in the new series.

Kinda like how Lucas brought Ilum into Canon from Legends (though SWTOR wasn’t even a concept at the time of Ilum’s creation).

Maybe finish up the SWTOR story and close the game, take experiences of what was successful in this game and what failed. Hope EA gets rights or permission to make a new MMORPG (spiritual successor to SWTOR) in the new series.

This is what i expect to happen. A migration to a new game, that builds on what swtor is or was. Hopefully with a new engine and all the more modern upgrades from 10 years of advancement. An upgrade of sots would also be fine as long as it includes those things. Its the perfect time for it, it really needs to happen if this is the direction the franchise is headed.

Heck, the basic premise of Rise of Skywalker was already a rip/reference off SWTOR's KotFE storyline: defeated Emperor's spirit still running around and had a side-gig Empire this whole time with even higher tech, that threatens to return to the known galaxy to conquer all.

Am i the only one that thinks with yesterdays announcements its time to move the game forward in history?

The next grouping of films will be based around a time about 200 years before the Skywalker saga, this would seem to be the perfect time to move away from the old republic, and step into the next generation to me.

Thoughts?

Sidenote on what should be obvious, can we please keep the 420 jokes to a minimum, thx :)

Speaking of "high" I am trying to find something 420 related in your OP, OP and I don't see anything. What are you on about then? What's "obvious?"

u know i always though that if this game should end it would be with the battle of malachor where no one won the battle everybody was just destroy but i'm hoping it doesn't end right now there is still so much potential to this game

No there isn't if you think about realistically.

1. They will never improve the engine of the game because they can't.

2. They will never overhaul the optic of the game, for example many of the existing armors (especially older ones), because they can't (Manpower). Edit: Well, they managed to overhaul the optic of the planets when you exit your starship. They only needed 7 years for that. :rak_03:

3. They will never get back to the roots to give us a proper, logical, good story because they can't (Manpower again and all the good writers they had, for example the team that designed the Dread Master Story Arc or Class Storys left)

4. They will never give us a proper expansion again with lets say 2 OPs, 4-5 Flashpoints and 2-3h+ Storycontent because they can't (and yet again, Manpower...).

5. They will never serve people what they actually want (PvP-Vendors for gear for example, like we had at the beginning of SWTOR so PvP-Content actually makes sense and fun again to do).

And there are so many more examples. Sure, I too wish they would use whats left of SWTORs "potential", but they never will. If this game had actually more than 5 devs working on it, then maybe we could get some proper content but I doubt this will ever again be the case. SWTOR had way too many fails and way too many players already left to bring this game to its former glory. All what is left and important are "minor" updates and of course the holy, mighty Cartel Market.

From time to time i reactivate my sub and go and look around or try to find new fun in this game and start a new alt or level an existing one, only to find myself quit again because there is absolutely NOTHING new, even after 7 years. I also already played the newest story (Onslaught) with more than 4 characters. I dont even want to begin to talk about endgame content, because there is none. Raids and flashpoints keep getting re-scaled and re-scaled because SWTOR devs 1.) have not enough money or/and b.) not enough time and manpower to come up with something new.

It's sad, but this game is in maintenance mode and I guess we all know now why: because there will maybe come a new game with this "High Republic Era". Lets just hope they dont **** this new game up too, like they did with SWTOR with every major game update. (SoR mistakes, KOTFE mistakes, KOTET mistakes etc. etc.).

Edited by Jesseriah

It's sad, but this game is in maintenance mode and I guess we all know now why: because there will maybe come a new game with this "High Republic Era". Lets just hope they dont **** this new game up too, like they did with SWTOR with every major game update. (SoR mistakes, KOTFE mistakes, KOTET mistakes etc. etc.).

ha, you answered my question to the OP, I see now what his reference to 420 was about now. Thanks for this funny and well-written post!

Oh, other thing I agree with is how every "update" seemed to strip or remove something that was enjoyable in the game. I have never seen a game undress itself so thoroughly, from launch to end game.

Thoughts?

There's one big problem with that. I'm not sure about the exact time frame, but somewhere between the Old Republic and the current Star Wars timeline, the Sith were basically destroyed (killed each other?) and there remained only two - a Master Sith (Palpatine) and his "padawan" (Darth Maul, Vader, etc.) or whatever the sith equivalent is.

This makes it as bit tricky, lore-wise, to have multiple Sith fighting multiple Jedi. If anything, it would have to advance to some hypothetical time after Rise of Skywaiker when the Sith have reformed.

So, here in lies the major issue, or issues as it were.

Revan absolutely CANNOT exist in the High Republic era. It doesn't work. The whole deal with Revan is that he is a jedi who disobeyed the jedi council to go to war against the Mandalorians, fell to the dark side and became sith, which leads us into KOTOR where he became redeemed.

That right there is the very essence of Revan.

That story, even reworked, CANNOT BE TOLD in the high republic era, because at BEST, the Sith are in hiding, manipulating events perhaps. But Revan was a bold front-line commander. You can't simply have the Revan story in the High Republic Era without destroying the very essence of the character.

And if you can't have that, why have SWTOR at ALL in the high republic era?

Think about the whole perfect story that was KOTOR. You now are going to try to make it work with space vikings? It loses the impact. And if you move the game to the high republic era, who are the jedi going to fight? Be a jedi or a space viking? Sorry, but some of the best and most fascinating SWTOR stories are written from the perspective of the EMPIRE. And that conflict between the two.

The High Republic Era is not the place for ANY of the old BioWare content (addressing rumors about KOTOR being moved to the High Republic Era).

IF we were going to get the Revan story AND move SWTOR, then the closest timeline that makes sense is right BEFORE the High Republic era. I could conceivably see the "Revan" story and then SWTOR 's stories somehow merged into a Canon Retelling of the Great Hyperspace Wars, Darth Bane, and also the formation of the Republic.

Then that could LEAD into the High Republic Era.

However I have no faith in this given that there were rumors that they want KOTOR 200 years before the movies in the High Republic era, AND also in the clone wars in a cut scene, you had the Son conferring with Darth Bane and Darth Revan, which means Disney and Dave Filoni don't understand the appeal of Revan is his redemption and decisions to try to balance the light and darkness, NOT his being a "sith in a cool mask" plotting as your standard run of the mill sith.

Thoughts?

The new era being explored is a completely different from the Old Republic era. There is no connection, at all really, between them. Why would you want the game to change in any way because of it?

I don't understand why anyone would want to move the game forward in history, much less 3400 years into the future.

Swtor aside, there's still thousands of years worth of Old Republic stories to tell.

Edited by OldVengeance

Speaking of "high" I am trying to find something 420 related in your OP, OP and I don't see anything. What are you on about then? What's "obvious?"

Thre wasnt any, i was trying to avoid it from the "high" reference.

The 420 crowd is perhaps the only bunch worse than vegans and crossfitters that insist on telling you about it... was hoping to avoid :)

Thre wasnt any, i was trying to avoid it from the "high" reference.

The 420 crowd is perhaps the only bunch worse than vegans and crossfitters that insist on telling you about it... was hoping to avoid :)

lol really?! I don't know any 420 people I wish I did tbh. I guess due to it being illegal still here, people hide their use of it in my state and don't much brag about toking it.

The whole point of this game is that it's the old republic. That's Bioware's deal.

Besides i don't recall how much earlier this era is but i think it's still very far from 200 years before the first movies.

Reading some posts though, it sounds that Disney us off to ruin even more star wars lore with their bad fanfic. Sad times.

Edited by Nemmar

lol really?! I don't know any 420 people I wish I did tbh. I guess due to it being illegal still here, people hide their use of it in my state and don't much brag about toking it.

It's fully legal here (Canada), and they really are as annoying as vegans.

Keep going on about what they cook with it, how they like to smoke it, all the while insisting it is no more dangerous than alcohol, usually a few breaths before complaining they aren't allowed to drive while high on it ("But it focuses your mind! Not at all like alcohol!").

Then they go on one bad trip, give themselves drug-induced psychosis and there aren't enough brain cells left to say "I told you so!"

Anyway, back on topic.

Other than the occasional Easter egg (like in Rebels) it is unlikely that the new era will have any relation at all to TOR era. To far removed and Disney has made it pretty clear they want to go their own way.

No there isn't if you think about realistically.

1. They will never improve the engine of the game because they can't.

2. They will never overhaul the optic of the game, for example many of the existing armors (especially older ones), because they can't (Manpower). Edit: Well, they managed to overhaul the optic of the planets when you exit your starship. They only needed 7 years for that. :rak_03:

3. They will never get back to the roots to give us a proper, logical, good story because they can't (Manpower again and all the good writers they had, for example the team that designed the Dread Master Story Arc or Class Storys left)

4. They will never give us a proper expansion again with lets say 2 OPs, 4-5 Flashpoints and 2-3h+ Storycontent because they can't (and yet again, Manpower...).

5. They will never serve people what they actually want (PvP-Vendors for gear for example, like we had at the beginning of SWTOR so PvP-Content actually makes sense and fun again to do).

And there are so many more examples. Sure, I too wish they would use whats left of SWTORs "potential", but they never will. If this game had actually more than 5 devs working on it, then maybe we could get some proper content but I doubt this will ever again be the case. SWTOR had way too many fails and way too many players already left to bring this game to its former glory. All what is left and important are "minor" updates and of course the holy, mighty Cartel Market.

From time to time i reactivate my sub and go and look around or try to find new fun in this game and start a new alt or level an existing one, only to find myself quit again because there is absolutely NOTHING new, even after 7 years. I also already played the newest story (Onslaught) with more than 4 characters. I dont even want to begin to talk about endgame content, because there is none. Raids and flashpoints keep getting re-scaled and re-scaled because SWTOR devs 1.) have not enough money or/and b.) not enough time and manpower to come up with something new.

This ^

Signed in just to QFE this post.

Also, side note, but regarding the High Republic. The announcement really didn't interest me at all for multiple reasons.

1) I have no idea why they didn't choose to explore the Old Republic more when it's already established. They can say it's because they want a blank slate in a different era, but they could literally have a blank slate just the same because the Old Republic is still so unexplored.

2) Story-wise, I can't imagine why they would want to explore the High Republic era in general because, unless I'm wrong, weren't all the Sith extinct "for 1000 generations" until Episode 1? So who will be the villains in this High Republic era unless it's crime syndicates or bounty hunters? It seems to me this era of Star Wars would just be a light side Jedi-fest full of nothing but politics.

2) Story-wise, I can't imagine why they would want to explore the High Republic era in general because, unless I'm wrong, weren't all the Sith extinct "for 1000 generations" until Episode 1? So who will be the villains in this High Republic era unless it's crime syndicates or bounty hunters? It seems to me this era of Star Wars would just be a light side Jedi-fest full of nothing but politics.

The "1000 generations" thing was in ANH, when Obi-Wan (as "Ben Kenobi") tells Luke that the Jedi were the defenders of the Republic "for 1000 generations".

By Earthly conventional definitions, N generations is a number of years anywhere from 20 to 40 times N, most often around 25, so the "1000 generations" would be 25K years.

Old Republic and High Republic are both the Old Republic Era. Think of it akin to our Middle ages. There was the early middle ages, the middle ages and the late middle ages. It's all generally called the Middle Ages. The High Republic is like the late middle ages of the middle ages in the Old Republic. Funny enough there will be a lot more similarities than that like Jedi going on pilgrimages and councils called Knights of the round table etc.

Aside from the practical - that they wouldn't have the resources to update SWTOR so comprehensively - why would anyone actually want them to retcon anything at all, let alone the entirety of the lore we've been enjoying and expanding upon since KOTOR dropped, squishing it all into a much shorter timeline with less time for all the stories that have popped up between now and then? I've never seen a retcon in my life that hasn't ended up as a stain on the legacy of whatever story it was, let alone such a massive one.

We're playing in the equivalent of the late Bronze Age, to draw a comparison to Earth's historical timeline, if we put the end of the latest trilogy at year 2019 just for sake of comparison. Such a change would move us into the early Middle Ages. That's a ton of history just erased, and for the sake of what? What do we actually gain to justify such a change? From a story perspective, there's no way to keep our same characters and the SWTOR galaxy as it is if they made an expansion that takes place 3000 years later; 5 was a tough enough sell in KOTFE. They'd need an entirely new game either way, because you can bet EA wouldn't pump that much money and development time into SWTOR even if it were a good idea.

If they want to make a High Republic MMO to cash in on the new era's hype, they should do just that. If they intend it to be a replacement for SWTOR by BioWare, they should make sure everything from the Cartel Market transfers over so people don't (rightly) feel ripped off. Then again, EA has the opportunity to decide whether BioWare is the right company to continue the Star Wars MMO legacy after what's become of SWTOR, which had so much promise before it was driven into the dirt through poor decisions made and a slow drip of content releases.

Yeah thanks but I don't feel like going into interdimentional carbonite for a few millennia to end up in a different timeline thousands of years later.

You know, that's not a bad idea. Instead of making a whole new SWTOR2 with no continuity, they could use something similar to the 5 year gap in KOTFE** to advance your character into a new timeline.

Say, at the end of the current Onslaught cycle, you could have a one-way choice to start a new story where you get frozen in carbonite for a thousand years or so. When you get thawed out, all your old companions are gone, you have nothing but the outfit on your back, and you have to start anew. To cut costs, you could basically have many of the same planets with possibly a few tweaks to the 'look', but with new NPCs, etc.

You could perhaps, start in the current Old Republic at level 1, or start at Onslaught and move to the High Republic, or start directly in HR. Maybe you could carry over some things like Strongholds and/or decorations.

** Given how people still get miffed about losing companions at the start of KOTFE, in spite of all the warnings, you would need copious warnings before starting the High Republic. 🙄

Edited by JediQuaker

I don't understand why anyone would want to move the game forward in history, much less 3400 years into the future.

Swtor aside, there's still thousands of years worth of Old Republic stories to tell.

^^this.

With the name, they already make clear that it will be something separate from the Old Republic. And that's a good thing.

I'm not sure what interesting stories they can tell 200 years before TPM, but luckily I also don't care. :p

One thing I always puzzled about with the timelines was how did technology NOT change in the 3 millennium between our game and the films? Sabres are the same, speeders are the same, buildings are the same; even the Mandalorians have the same armour. Never-mind how the Star Destroyers etc are the same. You would think 'our' sabres should be more akin to sticks. :) Edited by LeMage