Was there an unscheduled patch today (2/23/2020)?

Yinepuhotep

I logged off this morning (around 4am EST) and tried logging back in around 4pm EST, only to discover that my launcher went into an endless "updating" loop that couldn't be broken out of, even by the usual solution of deleting the Bitraider folder. I ended up having to delete my game and reinstall it from scratch, which makes me wonder if there was an unscheduled patch that broke the game's ability to update/launch itself.

Oh yes, and I'm only at 87% downloading the new installation, at 10pm EST. On a 100mb fiber optic connection. I don't know what the update servers are running through, but it's like pouring chilled molasses through a 1/2" funnel in February.

On the 23rd? A *Sunday*? No.

The launcher-patcher is substantially buggy when you're using Bitraider, the "streaming" patcher. It is the default for new installations because the installation doesn't know if you're a new player who wants to get stuck in on a starter world, or an existing player, and Bitraider allows the new newbie to begin playing on a starter world sooner than "we've now downloaded the whole game, have fun" would allow.

Unlike most other MMORPGs with two patch/download modes, you can't switch between Bitraider and "SSN" from the launcher-patcher's settings menu, and even if you could, doing so would require a complete redownload.

However, you *can* switch to SSN. Instructions at https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/td-p/4867417 although I recommend that you bear in mind the need for a once-only complete redownload.