Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Oooh this is nothing :p I remember pre-launch and pre-open beta when we had threads discussing if this would make it in and then following the "no" we first received, asking why not that went on for some 30+ incarnations. I think I met more people through that thread than I actually have through the game itself :p

Surely in total it was far more than thirty, I remember at least fifteen in the days when they had the poll about whether you'd use SGRAs.

That was truly a flame war, it was reminiscent of how the General Discussion is now.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely in total it was far more than thirty, I remember at least fifteen in the days when they had the poll about whether you'd use SGRAs.

That was truly a flame war, it was reminiscent of how the General Discussion is now.

It probably was lol.

Ah the ways we used to pass time before we could actually play. I almost miss those days lol.

^Assumes they have to pay contracted voice actors anything more than they already do whatsoever or that EA would have to spend anything, they don't, they have already bought all they'll ever need, only thing that is still paid for is the servers and the wages of the dev team.

I don't mean to rain on the parade -- like you guys, I'm eagerly awaiting this feature -- but in the interests of not relying on false assumptions, the above is incorrect. I've worked in the animation industry, know a lot of voice actors, and none of them work for free, or can be called back for additional recordings without additional payment. If all the SGR material was performed and banked before launch and is just sitting on a HD at BioWare, waiting to be animated, that's one thing. But if they've assigned it to a writer, that means new recording sessions. Which means booking studios, engineers, and actors, the latter of whom are not contract players, but are paid on a per session basis. So in order to implement this feature, BW or EA or whomever is responsible will have to spend money.

Personally, I think it's worth the cost -- much more than whatever they're budgeting to increase the level cap. Hard core players will burn through the new levels pretty quickly and then likely start complaining about a lack of high level content again, but people who are interested in SGRs will reroll a class (even if they already have a level 50 and have completed the class storyline) and play the whole thing all over again from level 1 simply in order to experience that element. At any rate, I know I will.

But we should acknowledge that this does represent an additional expense at a time of corporate belt-tightening -- especially at BW -- and hope the fact that this subject has exceeded the thread capacity so often will remind them how important this feature is to a large percentage of their most enthusiastic customers.

I don't mean to rain on the parade -- like you guys, I'm eagerly awaiting this feature -- but in the interests of not relying on false assumptions, the above is incorrect. I've worked in the animation industry, know a lot of voice actors, and none of them work for free, or can be called back for additional recordings without additional payment. If all the SGR material was performed and banked before launch and is just sitting on a HD at BioWare, waiting to be animated, that's one thing. But if they've assigned it to a writer, that means new recording sessions. Which means booking studios, engineers, and actors, the latter of whom are not contract players, but are paid on a per session basis. So in order to implement this feature, BW or EA or whomever is responsible will have to spend money.

Personally, I think it's worth the cost -- much more than whatever they're budgeting to increase the level cap. Hard core players will burn through the new levels pretty quickly and then likely start complaining about a lack of high level content again, but people who are interested in SGRs will reroll a class (even if they already have a level 50 and have completed the class storyline) and play the whole thing all over again from level 1 simply in order to experience that element. At any rate, I know I will.

But we should acknowledge that this does represent an additional expense at a time of corporate belt-tightening -- especially at BW -- and hope the fact that this subject has exceeded the thread capacity so often will remind them how important this feature is to a large percentage of their most enthusiastic customers.

Actually BioWare themselves have stated long ago that they have all the important voice actors on their beck and call, for whenever they need, they have all of them on contract, much like they do with the majority of their franchises.

Mine remains: Kira, Mako, Nadia, and Ashara, though I wouldn't be against any female companion being available for SGRs.

Mine: Kaliyo, Kira, Risha

LOL, we don't have much in common except for Kira...but everyone wants her (it's true! No one argue with me XD)

^Assumes they have to pay contracted voice actors anything more than they already do whatsoever or that EA would have to spend anything, they don't, they have already bought all they'll ever need, only thing that is still paid for is the servers and the wages of the dev team.

Actually, they've probably had to pay a retainer fee to the voice actors (or agents acting on their behalf), not their full wages for work yet to be done. If EA dropped the project entirely and shut down their servers tomorrow, they'd probably have to pay out the contract. That figure might be pretty high, but (probably) wouldn't be anywhere near the total cost of paying a voice actor a regular gig for say, 10 years (or however long the contract is for).

The contract probably works like this - we agree to pay you a fee to retain your services each year, because we will probably want you back in the studio at some point(s), for some period(s), over so many years. This contract binds you to show up to work when we ask, with a bit of flexibility built in to accommodate other work you'll be doing, because what we're paying you is probably not enough to live on, given the work is probably not enough to constitute full time. We reserve the right to terminate this contract with a period of time notice, and will pay you the remainder of the retainer fee for the year in which we terminate the contract. You also have the right to terminate the contract with notice, with some small penalty, such as forgoing the remaining retainer fee for the rest of the year.

Of course, there are probably a lot more terms and conditions involved, and it's probably far better and tightly worded than I've written it. (Oh dear, guess who has a Contract Law exam tomorrow...)

Regardless of what the costs are - or any contract issues, which I know nothing about - Mr. Erickson's bit at the guild summit showed that BW knows this is something their fans want, something that's important to them. And I think you've got it right about the different types of players. I mean, how many times have we seen people in here say they're willing to reroll if they can't get the SGR they want with their character at the level they're at now? My JK's been at 24 since, like, January, and I'm more than willing to invest the time to re-level her if it means I can play through the early stuff with Kira and flirt with her. :D

Mine: Kaliyo, Kira, Risha

LOL, we don't have much in common except for Kira...but everyone wants her (it's true! No one argue with me XD)

Hah! The ones I named are the ones I want the most, because they're for the classes I'm playing as female characters. My male IA is pursuing Kaliyo, and my male Smuggler went with Akaavi over Risha. But I plan to play those classes again with female characters (and the other advanced class), so I'm all for SGRs with those female companions too. The female Smuggler I have planned, full credit-hearted scoundrel, would be perfect with Risha.

And yeah, I've never seen anyone say they don't like Kira. I'm sure there are people who don't like her, but I've never seen them. :p

[snip!]

Of course, there are probably a lot more terms and conditions involved, and it's probably far better and tightly worded than I've written it. (Oh dear, guess who has a Contract Law exam tomorrow...)

What you've said makes a ton of sense. I've always figured BioWare had something in their contracts to make sure a VA was available for their characters, and more importantly, that the VA would keep playing those characters. Fans would flip if someone's voice suddenly changed. :eek:

And good luck on your exam tomorrow. :)

Edited by MusedMoose

Actually BioWare themselves have stated long ago that they have all the important voice actors on their beck and call, for whenever they need, they have all of them on contract, much like they do with the majority of their franchises.

We're talking about two separate things -- availability and compensation. I'm sure the actors' contracts have options BioWare can exercise allowing them to record additional content -- in fact, it would have been astonishingly short-sighted if they hadn't given themselves the option of bringing the actors back for future sessions -- but the company would still have to pay the performers for their time -- as well as hire the recording studio, pay the engineer(s), the craft service guy, the sound editors, the directors (although the latter two might be BW employees). Unless they actually paid all the actors in advance for future sessions that might or might not ever occur, which would be, to say the least, a departure from industry standard.

Just as a point of order, voice actors who don't work on TV series are free agents -- they aren't at anyone's beck and call. Yes, BW can call , say, Timothy Omundson's agent and say they'd like to schedule him for such and such time on the 15th, but they can't say, "Be here at 9AM tomorrow or you're fired!)

We're talking about two separate things -- availability and compensation. I'm sure the actors' contracts have options BioWare can exercise allowing them to record additional content -- in fact, it would have been astonishingly short-sighted if they hadn't given themselves the option of bringing the actors back for future sessions -- but the company would still have to pay the performers for their time -- as well as hire the recording studio, pay the engineer(s), the craft service guy, the sound editors, the directors (although the latter two might be BW employees). Unless they actually paid all the actors in advance for future sessions that might or might not ever occur, which would be, to say the least, a departure from industry standard.

The studio thing might not be too much of an issue. I've heard radio interviews with people working in VA studios, and it sounded like they were right in the room with the radio guys, so the VAs might not even have to be anywhere near BioWare. And it wouldn't surprise me if BioWare had some pretty impressive audio recording/editing/what-have-you right in their workplace, so they don't have to mess with hiring a studio and so forth. As much voice acting as their games entail, I'm sure they've worked out the best way to handle it by now.

And this bit of discussion has gone fully off-topic, so please, let's set it aside. Thank you. :)

Back in the day, the SGRA threads would cap six times a day, never mind six times in total, those were the days, shame so many have left.

some of us from those old threads are still here. i just don't post very much right now but i have been reading this thread every day.

Edited by Nagadeath

some of us from those old threads are still here. i just don't post very much right now but i have been reading this thread every day.

I get the feeling that a lot of former-regulars are still following closely, even if they aren't partaking in the discussion directly. :D

P.S., I am still holding Blizz ransom in exchange for SGR-Elara. BioWare, you have my demands.

P.P.S., someone please get Blizz to stop making cool gadgets out of my toaster-oven.

Edited by Raiellyn

P.S., I am still holding Blizz ransom in exchange for SGR-Elara. BioWare, you have my demands.

P.P.S., someone please get Blizz to stop making cool gadgets out of my toaster-oven.

I doubt that's possible, you'd have to find him something else to do then xD You could try giving him a toolshed, should keep him busy for awhile.

I just came across this post by a SWTOR wrtier.

It made me think of your post/discussion.

It's an interesting post when thinking about SGRA's I think.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I just came across this post by a SWTOR wrtier.

It made me think of your post/discussion.

It's an interesting post when thinking about SGRA's I think.

That is interesting; good find. Kind of puts "writer soon" into a bit more perspective. :D But it also gives me some reassurance that SGRs will in fact be in this year. If most of the writing is on a significant lead time, and SGRs have been in progress since before the game was released, and it's June now... It seems like it would be very difficult for SGRs not to be done this year.

This is just speculation, of course, but it's still good to have a little bit more info on how BW does things.

I'm not saying SGR's are not coming, I'm still hoping for them, even have some hope for them coming this year, but I can't understand why some of you seem to believe every statement someone at BW does.

In case of DA2 and ME3 there've been people from BW lying to fans, to the press etc..

A few months before release Hudson was still talking about how there would be so many versions of ME3's ending, that you couldn't even call it a conventional ending. Certainly not a choose option a,b or c ending.

And what did we get? exactly that.

BW is working for EA now, they'll say anything to appease people.

If they wouldn't really plan to include SGR, wouldn't they be doing exactly what they are doing now.

Telling people it will come, without a timeframe, without anything specific, just to keep the cattle from boiling over?

I still have some hope for BW and I desperately hope for an SGR update this year but we shouldn't be too naive and trusting in BW is all I'm saying.

I have a Gunslinger waiting for Akaavi, an SW waiting for Vette and a Jedi waiting for Kiara to come around, but I'm definitely not going to wait for ages while paying for a subscription.

I give them 1-2 months, if by then we don't get more assuring iformation regarding this, I'll let my account rest.

I hate to be a downer but seriously - you're talking about a feature a guy they fired promised a year ago would be in soon after launch...

No, actually they only ever said it WILL be included as post-launch content. That means any point after launch, and has been more recently clarified to "this year". I am going to give them this year to include the content or at least give us an update on a delay before I write this off entirely.

The writers have known all along which companion characters would have same-gender romantic options. Comparing this content to hood toggles, which have more complicated requirements than you may realize, is silly. It takes time in development, and they have told us that they want to take that time, rather than rush out something crappy.

Let them take their time. It will come, they have committed to it and, at this point, having braved the storm of controversy and seen how unexpectedly eager players are for same-gender content (which they admitted surprised them) they are not likely to abandon the commitment now.

On the other hand, they also flat out told us that they aren't going to have a lot to say about this until it is close to rolling out. So it's probably not yet. They gave us a loose ballpark time, which is what we asked for, as "this year". That gives them the time they feel they need to do it right. Try to be patient with that.

No, actually they only ever said it WILL be included as post-launch content. That means any point after launch, and has been more recently clarified to "this year". I am going to give them this year to include the content or at least give us an update on a delay before I write this off entirely.

The writers have known all along which companion characters would have same-gender romantic options. Comparing this content to hood toggles, which have more complicated requirements than you may realize, is silly. It takes time in development, and they have told us that they want to take that time, rather than rush out something crappy.

Let them take their time. It will come, they have committed to it and, at this point, having braved the storm of controversy and seen how unexpectedly eager players are for same-gender content (which they admitted surprised them) they are not likely to abandon the commitment now.

On the other hand, they also flat out told us that they aren't going to have a lot to say about this until it is close to rolling out. So it's probably not yet. They gave us a loose ballpark time, which is what we asked for, as "this year". That gives them the time they feel they need to do it right. Try to be patient with that.

Actually, you have my word on this: my account expires at the end of the month, I just leveled my sorc (third alt) and I'm done with the game for now. My main reason for quitting is because I love the story content, I have no real use for endlessly running ops or whatever. Between what EA said on their earnings call about the game being not a top 5 priority, the sub losses and the layoffs, I decided significant new story-driven content isn't likely to happen. They've announced Makeb but without showing a playthrough, one planet could be little more than another op with a different setting.

But I could be wrong - who knows? If BW actually keeps their word on this, I'll be back, not because this is the most important feature for me, but because it'll show they're willing to keep their word even at a great cost in time and expense, for a feature that might even alienate some people. It'll be a sign they're trustworthy as far as making this a story-driven MMO instead of a grind.

And I'll admit I was extremely extremely wrong, and let Dark Jaessa do what she will with me, hopefully. But if it doesn't happen this year at least I have a time frame, but I won't even get to gloat though because I'll still be unsubbed! :rolleyes:

Edited by jgelling

Welcome back, Uluain. Good to see you among us again. :)

Hopefully we won't be counseling patience too much longer. The video for E3 did say story content was coming this year - we knew that from the guild summit, but E3 is a considerably larger kind of announcement. No surprise BW didn't mention SGRs at E3, as they're not the kind of new feature that gets discussed there.

I still think we're going to get some news on all of this after patch 1.3 hits. BioWare doesn't talk about upcoming patches until one is done, so hopefully it will be soon. If 1.4 turns out to be the story patch, my guess (and it's only a guess) would be for an August or September release.

BioWare: August 3rd is my birthday. News on SGRs would be an excellent birthday present for a long-time fan and customer. Just sayin'. :D

Would it be fun to watch my female Knight kiss Kira? For me, certainly. Do I need it NOW? Nope. I can wait as long as it takes. Why? Because I know BioWare will put it in. They have a good track record for doing stuff like this. Edited by Noviru
editing out removed content

Would it be fun to watch my female Knight kiss Kira? For me, certainly. Do I need it NOW? Nope. I can wait as long as it takes. Why? Because I know BioWare will put it in. They have a good track record for doing stuff like this.

Hopefully they will put that romance in.

I just made a new JK hahaa

But yeah, I can wait for it. IT MAKES IT THAT MUCH SWEETER

Edited by Noviru
editing out removed content

Ah, the sense of entitlement of some people... "Give me the feature I want, NOW! Or my subscription is cancelled, CANCELLED YOU HEAR?!"

Nevermind that these people are trying to save their game by prioritizing, to hell with those wanting groups and server transfers as long as I get what I want, right?

Translation: They had other priorities. I'm sure that once things are stable they'll return to this.

lolwut ?

What prompted you to say that ? Or you just felt like dropping by and toss that ssssstuff in here just because, well you can ?