Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My first Ranked PvP season in ANY MMO, any big brain advice walking into it?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
My first Ranked PvP season in ANY MMO, any big brain advice walking into it?

septru
05.08.2021 , 12:02 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by xdjinn View Post
That was me certainly. Same toon name as my forum tag (with some weirdness due to "name being already used). Any help is appreciated, although I'm very close to giving up on ranked altogether.
I can't say that I've seen you. Or if I did, I can't remember. I'll try to keep an eye out and try to offer tips.
-Prum

xdjinn
05.08.2021 , 12:08 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
the thematic differences were:
  1. burst (rage) vs. dot (veng)
  2. aoe (rage) vs. st (veng, but I guess spread was possible and better than IO lul)

however, rage/fury was tweaked to be more effective ST once the smash monkey era came to an end.

afaik, veng has always been tankier than rage b/c they weren't bursty. they had more cc immunity for the same reason. rage got a huge boost when BW opened up the skills trees for all 3 specs to each other.
Which makes no sense. Considering they are DoT classes, it would be okay if they had less CC immunity than a burst one, because u could open by stacking DoTs and even while stunned u'd be ravaging the opponets HP, no need for input is the whole idea behind DoTs. I think that my argument is that, DoTs should kill without hitting much, while Rage should be more durable because without direct player input there's absolutely zero dmg...

That was something I thought about tbh, switching to Veng, exploiting it's DoTs while running out LOS, could work, not entirely sure for I haven't tried it yet. Or spec Annihi Mara and abuse Force Camouflage doing timed hit-n-run. Have no idea if it works on the current meta, but in theory it could.

Either way, that means abandoning the spec I'm currently into, which to me is disappointing, in fact might be enough for me to call it quits on the game again.

So yeah, I think that either they boost Rage dmg, which will break the game, or make them harder to be tunneled, there's no way around it. As for Fury, it seems to be doing well, but it's exceptionally hard to play (I've tried), my problem with Fury is resource management.
http://www.swtor.com/r/XWq2wR - 7 days free subscription. And cookies.

foxmob
05.08.2021 , 12:23 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by xdjinn View Post

So yeah, I think that either they boost Rage dmg, which will break the game, or make them harder to be tunneled, there's no way around it. As for Fury, it seems to be doing well, but it's exceptionally hard to play (I've tried), my problem with Fury is resource management.
ok. I'm a bad sent/mara. but that's just b/c I'm bad with muscle memory. I'm playing it in regs and trying to put together a fearless set (just got my 4s, so I'm wearing it instead of 6pcs victor for the first time). anyway...I know how and why and what to do with fury, and is very good.

you should not ever have resource management issues with fury. you almost never need to zealous strike if you play it right. you should take the 30s transcend so that stacks are used exclusively for zen. between the normal building of stacks through your regular attacks and the automatic full stacks you get every (1min? 2min?) you shouldn't even need to think about generating focus/rage.

especially with bladestorm generating it, getting it back with dispatch, and generating it with leap (you'll want to take the talent to use dispatch on obfuscated targets and buff it with clarity). you might very rarely need to zealous or fill a gcd with auto attack. I understand that sent/mara is more difficult and there are a lot more buttons to push on a regular basis vs. rage jugg (bear in mind rage jugg is 2nd only to arsenal in simplicity). but there's always something meaningful to attack with, and it's never more than 1 gcd away.

edit: re-veng immunities, they needed the immunities to CC more b/c it took them time to ramp up damage. the bursty rage spec has always had burst dmg on hand immediately (much like AP PT in the current meta).
Krack

xdjinn
05.11.2021 , 07:18 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
ok. I'm a bad sent/mara. but that's just b/c I'm bad with muscle memory. I'm playing it in regs and trying to put together a fearless set (just got my 4s, so I'm wearing it instead of 6pcs victor for the first time). anyway...I know how and why and what to do with fury, and is very good.

you should not ever have resource management issues with fury. you almost never need to zealous strike if you play it right. you should take the 30s transcend so that stacks are used exclusively for zen. between the normal building of stacks through your regular attacks and the automatic full stacks you get every (1min? 2min?) you shouldn't even need to think about generating focus/rage.

especially with bladestorm generating it, getting it back with dispatch, and generating it with leap (you'll want to take the talent to use dispatch on obfuscated targets and buff it with clarity). you might very rarely need to zealous or fill a gcd with auto attack. I understand that sent/mara is more difficult and there are a lot more buttons to push on a regular basis vs. rage jugg (bear in mind rage jugg is 2nd only to arsenal in simplicity). but there's always something meaningful to attack with, and it's never more than 1 gcd away.

edit: re-veng immunities, they needed the immunities to CC more b/c it took them time to ramp up damage. the bursty rage spec has always had burst dmg on hand immediately (much like AP PT in the current meta).
Even if I decide to unsub, I still have around 14 days left before the recurring kicks, I'll try to learn marauder better and see what the fuzz is about. I mean, I didn't like it much, but I guess it's better than being a punching-bag with Jugg, or being forced to tank (S-level hard) when I barely have patience to learn new specs.
http://www.swtor.com/r/XWq2wR - 7 days free subscription. And cookies.