I Don't Understand Galactic Seasons

Aghasett

Ever since I started playing this game I've gotten the constant feeling that Bioware is attempting to push me into group activity (I assume this somehow supports their bottom line.) Galactic Seasons is a prime example of this. I myself am more of a solo player; however, I'm not at all averse to group activity. But there's a problem: there are no reasonable ways to participate in the weekly Ops and other group activities - which are the larger part of GS itself - so the whole thing becomes an exercise in frustration.

Group finder for Ops has never amounted to a group for me, having tried dozens of times. I try daily to get in on PUGs for the Weekly PO and, some weeks I get in on one, some I don't. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they collapse because inexperienced players provoke others to rage quit - it's happened several times in the last few weeks.

Long story short, attempting to group up within the PO framework is becoming increasingly unpleasant. It's effectively being shoved down our throats, but there's no reasonable mechanism to participate. And I don't feel I should have to leave the guild I'm in - who are friends that I enjoy running FPs and heroics with - just because we're largely not Ops-oriented. I hope something changes here.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are other threads discussing this topic already.

The most viable way to get into Ops groups is to join a guild that regularly does operations, especially SM "training" operations.

As I said, I don't feel I should have to leave the guild I'm in to do that. And I realize there are numerous threads. I want Bioware to pay attention.

People who play a wide variety of content will gain the benefits of the game most efficiently. This has pretty much been true since the beginning but especially so since 5.0. They made the whole game, and Bioware would like you to play it’s whole game if you want to gain all the benefits. If you don’t want to do that, you have three options:

1). Use credits to catch up to 95, then cartel coins to get from 95 to 100.

2). Use cartel coins to get all the way to 100

3). Ignore Galactic Seasons entirely and suffer no real impact on either the story or your gear progression.

People who play a wide variety of content will gain the benefits of the game most efficiently. This has pretty much been true since the beginning but especially so since 5.0. They made the whole game, and Bioware would like you to play it’s whole game if you want to gain all the benefits. If you don’t want to do that, you have three options:

1). Use credits to catch up to 95, then cartel coins to get from 95 to 100.

2). Use cartel coins to get all the way to 100

3). Ignore Galactic Seasons entirely and suffer no real impact on either the story or your gear progression.

@ the OP.

Or.......you could perhaps just.....you know... 4). Play the game normally and still gain levels over time. It seems to be about how fast players can do things now. Where did the days go of actually getting things finished over a period of time instead of buying your way through levels....of anything.

Edited by HiltoftheDragon

I guess if we want something, we are going to have to do the work to meet the requirements. We must then weigh our desire for the thing against the things we will have to do to get it. If we hate the things we have to do, more than we want the things they reward, then we can exercise our free will and our control and just not do them.

if you don't want to do some type of content, just don't, BioWare provides you with different content and opportunities that you can follow up on through their game, doesn't mean you need to do everything. Netflix has like 50,000 titles, doesn't mean I will watch all just because I pay monthly for it, I watch what I want to

the quicker people realize this and stop with their obsessive mindset, the better, both here ingame and in other aspect of life

Edited by RikuvonDrake

I guess if we want something, we are going to have to do the work to meet the requirements. We must then weigh our desire for the thing against the things we will have to do to get it. If we hate the things we have to do, more than we want the things they reward, then we can exercise our free will and our control and just not do them.

I'm going to steal this. This is as simple as one can explain this stuff. True in real life as well.

As I said, I don't feel I should have to leave the guild I'm in to do that. And I realize there are numerous threads. I want Bioware to pay attention.

Don't be surprised, people like to point out that you are playing wrong, or that your dislike of something is misguided. At least until something in the game affects something they like...then it's a whole different ball game.

The Ops queue thing is very broken. So if they can't fix it, they need to allow for a better alternative.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

If you feel the system is unfair, you should speak up. Sometimes it doesn't make a difference, but its better to try and fail then remain silent, and have nothing ever change.

@ the OP.

Or.......you could perhaps just.....you know... 4). Play the game normally and still gain levels over time. It seems to be about how fast players can do things now. Where did the days go of actually getting things finished over a period of time instead of buying your way through levels....of anything.

the rotating and nebulous rotations of the bling adds significantly to this. "will my <thing> be there when I get the $$ for it? gotta go go go as fast as possible so I don't miss him!"

I don't exactly understand the point of ghosting things from the GS vendor (aside from the glitched companion thing). It's not like tech frags where players could pool a limitless amount and just spent it all b/c everything is right there. there's an obvious reason for the KZ vendor to only appear for a limited time with rotating items. but isn't GS capped very specifically by the POs? they aren't tech frags that one could farm indefinitely.

the rotating and nebulous rotations of the bling adds significantly to this. "will my <thing> be there when I get the $$ for it? gotta go go go as fast as possible so I don't miss him!"

I don't exactly understand the point of ghosting things from the GS vendor (aside from the glitched companion thing). It's not like tech frags where players could pool a limitless amount and just spent it all b/c everything is right there. there's an obvious reason for the KZ vendor to only appear for a limited time with rotating items. but isn't GS capped very specifically by the POs? they aren't tech frags that one could farm indefinitely.

The point is that GS is a monetized system, and we're being nudged at every turn to purchase our way through it with cash. There is, in fact, no reason for GS to exist other than monetization; unmonetized GS wouldn't be meaningfully different from Conquest.

Edited by FlatTax

... I'm not at all averse to group activity. But there's a problem: there are no reasonable ways to participate in the weekly Ops and other group activities - which are the larger part of GS itself - so the whole thing becomes an exercise in frustration.

Group finder for Ops has never amounted to a group for me, ...

That's basically true - GF is not the way to try to do PO OPs.

The best/easiest way to do PO OPs (Poops 🙂 ) is to join groups forming on the Fleet, if you don't have guildies to do it with.

Every time there is an OP in the POs there seems to be lots of groups forming on the Fleet. And, since it's generally SM, the PUGs have a good chance of suceeding.

Btw, SWTOR is an MMORPG. MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online. It's not surprising, therefore, that group play is encouraged.

Edited by JediQuaker

The point is that GS is a monetized system, and we're being nudged at every turn to purchase our way through it with cash. There is, in fact, no reason for GS to exist other than monetization; unmonetized GS wouldn't be meaningfully different from Conquest.

Nonsense. I'm not being nudged at every turn to do any purchases. I play the game, all aspects, so with a very minimal change to my daily routine, I have gotten about 43 levels since it launched on April 27. And when I say minimal, I mean that I take into account the daily priority objectives for the day and unfinished weekly objectives and see how they fit into Conquest, characters who need conquest completed or who are best situated to do a particular objective, which of our factional guilds needs conquest progression, who needs conquest Spoils of War crates, etc. None of that requires me to spend any cartel coins.

I don't think Galactic Seasons forces me to do anything, at least not any more than I am "forced" to run Nightmare Terror from Beyond if I want to loot a Helix Hyperpod, or "forced" to do ranked pvp if I want Giradda's Rancor. But, the argument that Galactic Seasons "forces" someone to pvp, or do group content, has at least a shred more validity than the argument that GS is forcing people to spend cartel coins.

GS just tries to get players to try out and (hopefully) get hooked on easily repeatable content that doesn't require a lot of updating or resources. Like all aspects of the game, it's also an opportunity to get players to spend CC b/c they're unwilling to "earn" the rewards - which is fair game so long as those rewards are cosmetic and not competitive advantages. Though I do appreciate your consistent economic criticism on all things SWTOR. It's highly entertaining, and is obviously a force in any galaxy, no matter how far far away.

:)

GS just tries to get players to try out and (hopefully) get hooked on easily repeatable content that doesn't require a lot of updating or resources.

Clearly true, and that's fine, I don't care if they're trying to reboot some old content. My central gripe remains that Weekly POs need to be greatly expanded out from Ops simply because there's not an adequate Ops Finder in game, which leaves me and others out in the cold more times than not. And while they're at it, make the Dallies activities more diverse too, cuz killing 75 Colicoids over and over is stale as hell. Not expecting *new* content, just more *diverse* content from POs.

Btw, SWTOR is an MMORPG. MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online. It's not surprising, therefore, that group play is encouraged.

A STORY driven MMO that they said can be played solo.

If you are happy to group or PvP then good for you.

I was told one of my Guildies got kicked from a FP cos she wasn't healing spec, (Sage)

so my Guildmaster quit too because he wouldn't play without her in the group.

Maybe group play is encouraged by the Devs but not so much the players...

I was told one of my Guildies got kicked from a FP cos she wasn't healing spec, (Sage)

That’s probably because she queued as a healer even though she was not.

Edited by mike_carton

All of this is unfortunate, and has nothing to do with Galactic Seasons.

you can play solo.

you can't play EVERYTHING solo. M. M. O.

this is the most solo-friendly wow clone I've ever played, and...players complain because it's not more solo friendly.

Edited by CheesyEZ

All of this is unfortunate, and has nothing to do with Galactic Seasons.

Oh, ok.

So making GS content unlocks behind random group finder Vet flashpoints is nothing to do with Galactic seasons?

Why do you think they were doing group finder in the first place?

you can play solo.

you can't play EVERYTHING solo. M. M. O.

this is the most solo-friendly wow clone I've ever played, and...players complain because it's not more solo friendly.

I agree.

I'll play the stuff I can solo.

GS is stuff I mostly don't play.

No rewards for me.

Then again no rewards for Devs as I won't pay to unlock stuff either.

They'll get no more than my sub.

Edited by Rammboo

Oh, ok.

So making GS content unlocks behind random group finder Vet flashpoints is nothing to do with Galactic seasons?

Why do you think they were doing group finder in the first place?

You provided a scenario:

This type of incident has pretty much been present in the game since there was activity finder, which came in like 2.x. This problem is not caused by Galactic Seasons, nor was GS intended to solve this kind of problem. Don't misunderstand me, I am not condoning the behavior described in the scenario you gave, but you are misleading the readers to argue this is a problem unique to GS.

GS-related rewards are not locked behind group finder. The bonus flashpoint equipment crate for having all FP's checked, or the similar operations equipment crate, would be examples of rewards locked behind random group finder. GS levels are independent of group finder, and while there are group-content oriented priority objectives (I'll even admit the weekly PO's are group activities), you can advance through GS levels through a number of methods that do not require pvp or grouping. I'm not being naive, these are just the facts.

I'm not misleading anyone.

They were there for GS points.

They wouldn't of bothered otherwise.

Yeah, there are ways of unlocking GS stuff in other ways.

It's called cash and cartel coins.

Or if I wait a month or so, in game credits.

As for the fact this type of incident is common place,

well, just glad I never bothered with it.

Edited by Rammboo

Yeah, there are ways of unlocking GS stuff in other ways.

It's called cash and cartel coins.

Or if I wait a month or so, in game credits.

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-galactic-seasons-guide-and-rewards/#Additional_Official_Info

Taken from the Coreword worlds theme that is this week, there's also:

1) A weekly subscriber benefit for logging in 4 days out of a week.

2) Defeat enemies across “Coreward” planets (Alderaan, Balmorra, Corellia, Mek-Sha, or Onderon).

3) Defeat Insectoids across “Coreward” planets (Alderaan or Balmorra).

4) Complete Heroic missions across “Coreward” planets (Alderaan, Balmorra, or Corellia).

5) Complete Daily Missions across “Coreward” planets (Black Hole or Onderon).

6) Defeat non-player opponents across Hutta, Korriban, Ord Mantell, or Tython.

7) Defeat non-player opponents across Coruscant or Dromund Kaas.

Also, a daily PO that isn't listed on Swtorista's web site, at least for the Hutt space week, is doing 4 GSI dailies.

So, yeah, you are being disingenuous.

GS lasts roughly 20 weeks, so playing both daily POs every day for all 20 weeks, and being a sub, but no weekly POs, will net you a maximum of 1000 points, and you only need 800, which means only 16 weeks of play, giving you lots of wiggle room if you miss days or get unlucky with your re-rolls and get the two pvp objectives of the six (sometimes seven) daily PO options.

Are you going to have to work a lot harder as a solo-player? Yes. But that is the case for most of the game systems, including Spoils of War gear.

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-galactic-seasons-guide-and-rewards/#Additional_Official_Info

Taken from the Coreword worlds theme that is this week, there's also:

1) A weekly subscriber benefit for logging in 4 days out of a week.

2) Defeat enemies across “Coreward” planets (Alderaan, Balmorra, Corellia, Mek-Sha, or Onderon).

3) Defeat Insectoids across “Coreward” planets (Alderaan or Balmorra).

4) Complete Heroic missions across “Coreward” planets (Alderaan, Balmorra, or Corellia).

5) Complete Daily Missions across “Coreward” planets (Black Hole or Onderon).

6) Defeat non-player opponents across Hutta, Korriban, Ord Mantell, or Tython.

7) Defeat non-player opponents across Coruscant or Dromund Kaas.

Also, a daily PO that isn't listed on Swtorista's web site, at least for the Hutt space week, is doing 4 GSI dailies.

So, yeah, you are being disingenuous.

GS lasts roughly 20 weeks, so playing both daily POs every day for all 20 weeks, and being a sub, but no weekly POs, will net you a maximum of 1000 points, and you only need 800, which means only 16 weeks of play, giving you lots of wiggle room if you miss days or get unlucky with your re-rolls and get the two pvp objectives of the six (sometimes seven) daily PO options.

Are you going to have to work a lot harder as a solo-player? Yes. But that is the case for most of the game systems, including Spoils of War gear.

Except I'm not getting even half of the objectives you are quoting.

They are nearly all PvP or Group finder Vet FPs.

Throw all the big words you want around all you like.

(not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does)

Nice veiled insult .

Spoils of war gear was fine because I got rewarded for the stuff I want to play.

Wasn't that hard to do.

Geared up all my Chars solo just fine.

Before you reply, I'll let you know I won't be back on the forums anytime soon.

Like GS it's a waste of my time.

Edited by Rammboo