SWTOR Space Combat v Jump to Lightspeed and other decade long questions

Foreignobjects

I started this game and was lucky enough to be invited to the beta access before launch for months, and i was very excited. the game is actually finally doing the Weapon mastery ideas i threw out YEARS ago and was called dumb, and told stuff like that wouldn't work, they are doing exactly what i said to a T , aside from actually getting to keep and choose attacks from the weapon styles powerset. its awesome LOVE IT cant wait. i goto ask though about space combat and what was the reason and is it abandoned? or just in limbo?

Was it done to match with the Star wars MMO out , that this mmo forced to shut down, do to , supposedly EA being worried that people would Be confused from SWG and SWTOR.... i can tell you no one was confused, swg had it's dedicated player base just like DCUO does, and tons of other mmos still out, and would still be out today i guarantee, IMO. 70/30 swg would still be out.

Jump to lightspeed the Space DLC for SWG was very much the best online star wars rpg/action/third person/first person, large scaled and pretty much the only one with all the bells and whistles for crafting your own ship, or buying one off of someone from the bazaar aka Broker, switching out parts, with crafted parts, that were ALL done in game with in game materials and currency, no Micro transactions, and honestly there is not a mmo that has touched that in any way counting all the innovation it has/had .

Was Galactic starfighter rushed? to have that option? to contend with SWG? or what is the story with the space exploration and combat in this game... it jumps from a rail experience, to w/e if you wanto call it exploration , but it some how is very very boring, and i got my master pilot level/achievement and dont ever do dailies or anything in sapce, cause it is soooo repetitive and boring, and the controls don't seem as fleshed out as the ground game, the only really fleshed out thing about going onto our ship is no longer needed , unless doing the OG story mode.

anyone know what is going on with space, but this is to the developers mainly if they can reply at all.

i am subbed , i am a swtor fan, I'm not meaning to be so jaded or sound like I'm hating, i just think i have resented swtor for years, being the reason Star wars Galaxies "SWG" was taken from us. i have never given up on swtor and the weapon class update coming up breathes a lot of hope into the game for me, and the addition of the prequel Jedi robe aka obi wan and Anakin's type of Jedi robe is FINALLY HERE and i got it on all the prequel Jedi colors LOL from Anakin , to mustafar obi wans darkened robe, mace windu's and others. "now they just need to add a back slot for capes, and yes i know tons of chests have capes on them, but there has to be something that could be done, they have done the unthinkable in this game before. and having the ability to add a cape/robe /hood to a standard jedi tunic like we got recently would be the icing on the cake for real.

i still like it. so this is not trash talk its just fact pretty much have to be honest and give feedback on what i see and have dealt with in the last decade.

A. What you refer to as "weapon mastery" coming in 7.0 is nothing of the sort. The Combat Style System of 7.0, is literally, an advanced class respec. In exchange for that long-requested feature, we:

1) can have only two advanced classes ... sorry, combat styles ... because of performance or because its too overwhelming to players somehow

2) must lose/prune/streamline other skills and utilities to create sufficient similarity between advanced classes ... sorry, combat styles ... so that the UI/engine/whatever can handle swapping advanced classes ... sorry, combat styles

3) may get to see new advan ... combat styles in the future, because they've detached combat style from class story

It has no relation to the weapon mastery of DCUO (since you mentioned that game and I have experience with it), though we have been told it's a necessary step towards more freedom in actual equipped weapon usage. Player Troopers who want to use dual pistols can play in the style of a Gunslinger, or the style of a Mercenary, but with the powers (abilities) themed, animated, and named in accordance with the class for which they were originally designed. For some classes this isn't a problem, but imagining a Trooper using "Dirty Kick," "Sucker Punch," "Trick Move, "Smuggle," or other "stuck up half witted scruffy looking nerf-herder" type moves doesn't work in my head, and I doubt I'll ever wrap my head around the fact that I would still use lightning or chokes in sith cutscenes even as a light-sided Force user Combat Style (or vice versa for a dark sider on republic toons). Those examples are not, by themselves, reasons to abandon this combat style stuff, but we should be crystal clear on what the system is, and what it is not.

B. SWTOR's GSF was intentionally designed to be pvp-based and configured for mouse+keyboard, whereas SWG's JtL was intentionally designed to be free form and configured for joystick. JtL was designed from the ground up to be pve and pvp, but SWTOR's GSF is not and will not for the foreseeable future. JtL was a space flight simulator instead of a "Freelancer"-style pvp arcade shooter. They're just too disparate game styles to even compare the experiences. GSF certainly has room for improvement, I still love it right now, but it will never be like JtL and I don't have any reasonable expectation that it could be. The same can be said for the so-called on-rails "Space Missions" in your class ship that were present before GSF. SWTOR lacks a fundamental open world or sandbox engine that was a foundation for the free form spaceflight of JtL. It lacks the AI that SWG had, and lacks a dynamic spawning system that made SWG both on the ground and in the stars less predictable.

You're going to have to either accept it and learn to appreciate it for its virtues (not the least of which is superior pvp balance compared to SWG JtL), or go play SWG Legends.

i boiled it down to being able to use any kind of lightsaber on any class, by making a weapon mastery tree ,and the same for pistols/blaster rifles, pikes, tech blades, refiles, ex.... the player gets access to the other classes animations and abilities.... its very much like the idea i had. i just did not explain in the last post how close, there a couple little differences but overall its the same thing, the only thing that is different is, "which is big" but not to different, " becoming that other classes Advanced class in name and getting all the abilities. other then that, with the weaponry swap, animation, The more optimization the player has, its all the same,

and i get the reason they are changing it, but...if i was brand new to this game, that would be a bit more confusing but i like that, if you play a MMO you shouldn't understand everything in 10 minutes.

but anyway small part of the topic. and coming up with a argument how it is different from what i had thought of , i have tons of Mw docs with tons of ideas for this game, dcuo, and other mmos. i don't know just cause how i worded some things in the OP about the combat prowess being like the weapon mastery idea, is not even worth rebutting cause you don't know if i even did that, but proving to you that i came up with 80% of these ideas, along with other people did as well.

the point is... its good. thats all. not exactly the same but who cares, its great they are doing it, that's my overall point.

Good day.