The “Best View In SWTOR” Contest

DanielSteed

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

In honor of our upcoming 10-year anniversary, today we announced an exciting contest and we would love to see all of you participate in it. For the next two weeks players will be able to submit screenshots of ten specific planets and one submission per planet will then get turned into an in-game Stronghold portrait decoration that'll be available on the 10-year anniversary vendor. The people that submitted the chosen screenshots will also receive something special - a gilded version of the decoration that their screenshot was turned into, which only they will receive.

A full breakdown on the submission criteria can be found in this article.

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have a clarification question about one of the requirements.

"No Player characters allowed in screenshot."

I've never taken screenshots in SWTOR before, so I'm not entirely certain how they work, meaning this question might be academic; does that rule include the screenshot-taking player's own character or simply Player Characters belonging to players not themselves?

I actually have a clarification question about one of the requirements.

"No Player characters allowed in screenshot."

I've never taken screenshots in SWTOR before, so I'm not entirely certain how they work, meaning this question might be academic; does that rule include the screenshot-taking player's own character or simply Player Characters belonging to players not themselves?

just zoom in enough so your player character isn't visible, easy

• Dev Post

Happy to answer questions! Neither your own character or other player characters can be within the screenshot.

[quote=Hey everyone!

In honor of our upcoming 10-year anniversary, today we announced an exciting contest and we would love to see all of you participate in it. For the next two weeks players will be able to submit screenshots of ten specific planets and one submission per planet will then get turned into an in-game Stronghold portrait decoration that'll be available on the 10-year anniversary vendor. The people that submitted the chosen screenshots will also receive something special - a gilded version of the decoration that their screenshot was turned into, which only they will receive.

A full breakdown on the submission criteria can be found in this article.

Hello,

How come i cant be eligible for this contest ? Im from Romania and i dont see my country in :

" 1. Eligibility. To enter the The Best View in SWTOR (“Contest”):

You must be a legal resident of Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada (excluding Quebec), Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Ukraine, United Kingdom, or the United States (including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico)."

I play this game from the beggining and now it seems im not eligible to be part of this ! Really ?

Edited by Nemurytorul

Looking through the requirements and it would be nice if this part could be clarified:

"Image Size: 1920x1080

The team will crop the chosen screenshots to a 4:3 format."

Since I use an ultrawide, my native resolution is a lot higher than this. Does this mean that to participate I would need to:

1. Temporarily restrict my in game resolution to 1920x1080,
  2. Take 3440x1440 screenshots (my native resolution) and send those in for the SWTOR team to crop themselves,
  3. Take 3440x1440 screenshots and crop myself before sending to the specified email.

I love taking landscape shots whenever I find a pretty view, so hopefully having a larger screen doesn't prevent those of us with higher resolutions from participating!

I just want to know what causes the screenshot functionality to fail. I took dozens of shots of Zakuul, all good. I travel to Mek-Sha, get the perfect shot lined up, and... nothing. No screen shots.

Camping to character select and coming back didn't fix it.

I'll try quitting SWTOR and going back into it again but this for the birds.

Edit: Quitting the game and coming back fixed it. Haven't tried to travel again to see what happens.

Tedious.

Edit: Alderaan. Same problem. Had to quit the game for screenshot functionality to return after traveling to Alderaan.

Edited by xordevoreaux

It seems several countries are not allowed participate, is there any particular reason why you've no problem taking our money, but yet not allow us to participate in this competition?

yeah i wondering the same thing, game has a lot of players from Russia, should we all quit game now?

exclusion from that contest is not nice BW! you're disappointing me :(

Edited by LadyAnnael

yeah i wondering the same thing, game has a lot of players from Russia, should we all quit game now?

exclusion from that contest is not nice BW! you're disappointing me :(

To think that EA is excluding players out of some sort of malice is misplaced. EA needs to just come out and say why, but whatever it is I'm sure it's something plain and mundane -- like local laws prohibiting such a contest for whatever unfathomable reason -- and nothing beyond that.

They're not targeting specific countries out of some weird exclusionary policy of their own.

A for-profit company like EA doing such would get them nowhere.

Edited by xordevoreaux

It seems several countries are not allowed participate, is there any particular reason why you've no problem taking our money, but yet not allow us to participate in this competition?

This needs to be clarified. Seems strange that you'd have your European base in Ireland and be happy to take my money for ten years and yet its not possible to take part in such a competition.

A quick reply might stem this type of query - as it stands it feels like an insult to those of many nationalities that support the game.

I need a clarification on location restrictions - the rules do not specifically state that we can't submit screenshots of our strongholds. Can we include screenshots from inside our SHs on Tatooine and/or Yavin? Or are SHs excluded?

I'd like to know about this too. Also flashpoints (Assault on Tython, &c) and story areas. I'm assuming none of these are allowed but it would be nice to get clarification.

Games are about playing them..MMos are about multiple people playing them.

Empty vistas make nice promo pictures or concept art.

It is strange something like this went past " show us your characters" or "show us your SHs!" or " show us your guildships&bases!" Even making a point in ensuring no stinky playerchars are there to ruin them vistas.:D

Rewards for this are really cool though, to be sure.

Edited by Stradlin

I'd like to know about this too. Also flashpoints (Assault on Tython, &c) and story areas. I'm assuming none of these are allowed but it would be nice to get clarification.

I'm wondering if anyone has looked in on this thread. Several of our questions need answers.

Questions so far that haven't been answered:

1) Why can't players from certain countries (Brazil, Romania, Russia and Ireland among others) take part in the competition?

2) Can screenshots be taken from within strongholds, flashpoints, operations and any other phases or do they have to be from the "open world"?

3) For players with higher native resolutions than 1920x1080, how should they submit their images? Do they:

• Temporarily restrict in game resolution to 1920x1080 before taking a screenshot,
  • Take higher resolution screenshots and send those in for the SWTOR team to crop themselves,
  • Take higher resolution screenshots and crop ourselves before sending to the specified email.

I'd like to add another question to the list. The rules state that, "cheat[ing] to participate, such as a bot" will disqualify the entries. However, besides botting it doesn't elaborate on what else "cheating" could refer to. For my submissions, I'm wondering if the following would be considered "cheating":

- Use of movement speed buffs (i.e. Force Speed, Razor's Kickstart tactical) to bypass obstacles intended to keep the player from escaping the normal playing space

- Use of another player using a knockback (i.e. Force Wave, Force Push) to bypass obstacles intended to keep the player from escaping the normal playing space

- Use of a bug/exploit (semantics can be argued) in the game programming to bypass obstacles intended to keep the player from escaping the normal playing space

Thank you! This contest is amazing

P.S. If we wish to post additional pictures, not for the contest but because we wish to share with you our appreciation of this game, is there a way to do that?

Edited by Cyber_Jedi

Games are about playing them..MMos are about multiple people playing them.

Empty vistas make nice promo pictures or concept art.

It is strange something like this went past " show us your characters" or "show us your SHs!" or " show us your guildships&bases!" Even making a point in ensuring no stinky playerchars are there to ruin them vistas.:D

Rewards for this are really cool though, to be sure.

I know they got us to post a pic of our toons a while back for a big collage type thing...so I guess they just want to do something different.