I'd LOVE a Bothan, Character Unlock.

Strathkin

I'd LOVE to see a few more of either of these more similar to the Cathar, perhaps even for 900 coins (each) even if limited both to Trooper's or Tech Classes mostly.

I'd often even think Selonians be good to introduce, even if they had a smaller implant like Cyborgs do; mostly to aid in speech or learning basic. Despite some have learned to communicate with them.

I mean even if both races had very limited Romance options for Companions; still a Selonian Might try to Romance Leyta however...

Edited by Strathkin

• 4 weeks later...
I've wished for YEARS for them to make Bothan playable. Especially with them adding NPCs of them more. I'd finally be able to make some of my characters that were supposed to be them since before the game launched be the correct species, instead of using cathar as a stand-in and keeping the helmet always on.

I'd be FINE if they even offered them for 900 COINs unlike the 600 for the others.

I also wished they would allow Selonians (similar) rate perhaps more with some cybernetics; even if they limited Romance options for them. I'd even be FINE if they limited Selonian to mostly TECH classes.

──────

Don't know they will do either, though what I'd really like to see though is adding 2-3x more facial options, shapes, not only for NPC's but also character's! Those be great for several of the basic races / species as well. Also it be nice to see a slightly slimmer body style than 1 like Lean or by example (.90) or those in between the others rather than Body Size 1-5 instead like (1.25, 1.5, 1.75 or 2.25, 2.5, 2.75) for example.

It also be nice to see variations between torso & legs as well, given as two separate choices. But that be more complex; so I'd be happy with the ABOVE. :)

Edited by Strathkin

I'd be FINE if they even offered them for 900 COINs unlike the 600 for the others.

I also wished they would allow Selonians (similar) rate perhaps more with some cybernetics; even if they limited Romance options for them. I'd even be FINE if they limited Selonian to mostly TECH classes.

──────

Don't know they will do either, though what I'd really like to see though is adding 2-3x more facial options, shapes, not only for NPC's but also character's! Those be great for several of the basic races / species as well. Also it be nice to see a slightly slimmer body style than 1 like Lean or by example (.90) or those in between the others rather than Body Size 1-5 instead like (1.25, 1.5, 1.75 or 2.25, 2.5, 2.75) for example.

It also be nice to see variations between torso & legs as well, given as two separate choices. But that be more complex; so I'd be happy with the ABOVE. :)

While Bothans can work, Selonians absolutely cannot. This has been stated many times in the past.

Reminder, requirements for species inclusion

1. Must speak Basic

2. Must fit all existing armour sets

3. must have humanoid facial features (be romanceable basically)

Selonians fail 2 and 3, and would be troublesome on 1 (while they can speak basic in EU lore, they do not in this game, and their facial animations would need an overhaul to allow it

As for new body types, this is basically impossible. For every single armour set there are 8 models (and related assets), one for each gender and body type combo. To add a new body size would mean going through ALL the armour in the game and adding a new set of models. This is a HUGE amount of work.

Bothans definitely work with current species limits, yes. Especially since there's been several NPCs of the species added now (not just the Kuat officer, but also that Republic level 70 mods vendor on the fleet, and they have a bit of variation), and are compatible with existing armor, with only possible helmet issues, like some other playable species.

Selonian would be awesome, but wouldn't work at all with how this game is set up. It'd be too much work to make work, and also not fit those criteria. (Even if it'd be cool.)

Edited by Nichos_Ketra

Cathar. Should they have not been playable by that same logic?

The Cathar, as seen in SWTOR do have a 'human like' face. That is, the major features - eyes, mouth, etc - are in the same sort of position as humans.

Bothans have a pronounced "snout" which doesn't fit the profile.

Theoretically, it's possible... The Cathar are supposed to be biologically similar to Bothans and we know that the more felinoid 'mainline' Cathar have the 'Myr Rho' and 'Juhani' subspecies which have somewhat more humanoid characteristics, so it could be entirely possible for Bothans to have a similar subspecies with a more humanoid facial structure...

In fact, according to Wookieepedia, the first depictions of the Bothans were essentially furred humans, the long muzzles didn't come in until the comic adaptation of "Heir to The Empire"...

I'd LOVE to see a few more of either of these more similar to the Cathar, perhaps even for 900 coins (each) even if limited both to Trooper's or Tech Classes mostly.

I'd often even think Selonians be good to introduce, even if they had a smaller implant like Cyborgs do; mostly to aid in speech or learning basic. Despite some have learned to communicate with them.

I mean even if both races had very limited Romance options for Companions; still a Selonian Might try to Romance Leyta however...

adding a racial ability to the species, is another great thing, along with the stats i discussed, you can have your main line stat pool migrated by a image designer, aka profession that can re do your look among other cool stuff. ID is a Advanced class , going off the Entertainer profession.

popular and known species that are wanted and playable in a mmo made 8 years earlier then this one, the kathar correct me if I'm wrong but, i always thought they were made specifically for this game. ill do some research on them but never seen one before swtor added it, and seem like a poormans Bothan, was there a rights issue with adding them, or was it cause they are super super smaller then the other species in the canon iteration and in swg, which is canon, taking place after the first death star was destroyed.

1 Bothan

2 Bith

3 Chiss

4 Devonian

5 Gotal

6 Gran

7 Human

8 Hutt

9 I******ib

10 Ithorian

11 Mon Calamari

12 Nautolan

13 Nightsister

14 Nikto

15 Quarren

16 Rodian

17 Singing Mountain Clan Witch

18 Sullustan

19 Trandoshan

20 Twi'lek

21 Weequay

22 Wookie

23 Zabrak

Cathar go back years, at the least to the original KOTOR game, where Juhani, a Jedi companion of Revan, was a Cathar of the subspecies that has since come to bear her name. They actually have a bit of a troubled history - their homeworld (also named Cathar) was in Mandalorian territory and was conquered during the Mandalorian Wars (circa 4000BBY) and eventually devastated by them, which is why so many Cathar honored Revan (for fighting the Mandalorians when the Republic wouldn't) and hate Mandalorians (for the destruction of their world). They eventually managed to reclaim and restore Cathar, but ironically enough history would much later repeat itself and the world was conquered and 'Vong-formed' by the Yuuzhan Vong during the war with them...

BioWare included Bothans too. SWTOR lore history leading up to release, Battle of Bothawui (bothan homeworld). They've since been adding a few bothan NPCs, like the Republic officer involved in the Kuat flashpoint. So it might not go back as far, but it does have a similar degree of presence in it.

• 2 weeks later...

When swtor launched I didn't play it for the first year or so because I was so disappointed with the choices for playable aliens. SWG, which came out 8 years before it had playable Ithorians, Trandoshans, Bothans, Wookiees and more, but the new modern mmo that swg's servers got unplugged for had, what? blue human, green human, red human, and human with prosthetics? pathetic.

I'd shelve out cc for even one of these. But I'll never not be pissed that a decade later I still cannot recreate my Trandoshan jedi.

The Cathar, as seen in SWTOR do have a 'human like' face. That is, the major features - eyes, mouth, etc - are in the same sort of position as humans.

Bothans have a pronounced "snout" which doesn't fit the profile.

Cather did not have 'human' faces at launch: When they created the unlock, they also changed all the cathar NPCs to be 'more human' so they looked like the PC Cathar (which needs the 'human' face for both gear and romance reasons).

Bothans would need a similar treatment to be available as a player species option.

I'd also like the emphasize that the vocal restriction is actually stronger than 'must speak Basic': Since all characters of a 'class + gender + player language' combination use the same voice track, it is somewhat essential that the species speak Basic without a distinct accent, style, or mannerism as these would not be available to players...

• 3 months later...

In that case please support this thread as this is the only way you might see non humanoid face aliens happening: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1002766

As for Selonians I cannot say, as they dont even have a humanoid body and hencefort they are a complete NO from the devs ATM