Separating Story From Gameplay

CommunityTeam

Thanks for the update. I hope we get these regularly, even with the UI and Graphical updates for the game, since I like to know how everything is coming along. (also hoping for a Gray option on the DvL button, to help characters stay gray more easily. ;) )

That being said, this is exactly how I envisioned Combat Styles to work.

• For Tech classes, all 8 Tech Combat Styles are available either at character creation, or when you log into existing characters.

• For Force classes get their Origin alignment's Combat Styles upon creation, but if they work towards the opposing dark/light side, they can then unlock the other four Combat Styles, including our existing Dark Jedi or Light Sith characters.

This should help me plan out my 64 characters, and what paths I want them to go.

Edited by WHTJunior

Can we change our combat styles later on? Or will we be locked into a specific combat style once we choose it like we are locked into our advanced classes? For example if we choose a vanguard at level 1, can we later change to a commando at level 75?

This part is a little confusing since you state that force based combat styles will be able to swap factions later on.

Edited by septru

Can we change our combat styles later on? Or will we be locked into a specific combat style once we choose it like we are locked into our advanced classes?

The intent was that you can build loadouts with your chosen Adv Classes, so that you can use the opposing Force Combat Styles, for example. If you were locked in, you wouldn't be able to use any of those Dark/Light Combat Styles that you can unlock. That is my understanding.

So basicially if you are a force user and you want to use the full array of dark and light skills you will have to go dark jedi or light sith. If you are a light sided jedi you will never use force choke etc.

It makes sense but I can see everyone going against their classes natural path at least so they can pick up the abilities....I'm assuming that if you are a jedi and you go to the dark and back to light you will retain knowledge of those powers and that you won't have to unlearn what you have learned.

Can we change our combat styles later on? Or will we be locked into a specific combat style once we choose it like we are locked into our advanced classes? For example if we choose a vanguard at level 1, can we later change to a commando at level 75?

This part is a little confusing since you state that force based combat styles will be able to swap factions later on.

No there is no faction swapping (not yet anyways). There will also be a feature called Loadouts - that basically allows you to switch between combat styles with a "push of a button"

So basicially if you are a force user and you want to use the full array of dark and light skills you will have to go dark jedi or light sith. If you are a light sided jedi you will never use force choke etc.

It makes sense but I can see everyone going against their classes natural path at least so they can pick up the abilities....I'm assuming that if you are a jedi and you go to the dark and back to light you will retain knowledge of those powers and that you won't have to unlearn what you have learned.

No, you will either have (since you used force choke as an example) Guardian abilities or Warrior abilities, not both. If you are a Guardian and decide to go the dark side yes you unlock the option of unlocking the warrior combat styles. I imagine if you go back to the light side you would lose the option to use warrior combat styles

I like this. But is there a reason why it’s not being considered to go a step further, and allow for Force or Tech combat styles with any origin story?

I understand that it may seem like a strange idea to see a Jedi Knight firing a blaster rifle or a Smuggler with Force Lightning… but in the name of total player control of their customization, why not allow for any combat style-origin story combination?

A Mandalorian Bounty Hunter wielding a sword (or a Beskar spear!), or an Imperial Agent with secret Force powers… I like the idea of this customization, and I think other players would, too!

No there is no faction swapping (not yet anyways). There will also be a feature called Loadouts - that basically allows you to switch between combat styles with a "push of a button"

Although it does seem like we will be able to switch factions,

If your character’s choices lead them away from their faction’s alignment and down the path of light side or dark side, they will eventually unlock the option to pick the other faction’s Combat Styles in addition to their own.

this is not my question. I am wondering if we will be able to switch between combat styles (advanced classes) as many times as we want, or if we will be locked into one, once we choose it.

So what happens to mirrored advanced classes? Especially those on the tech side?

While it kind of makes sense for the force users to have their rep/imp only combat styles at the start and then being able to choose a dark/light variation for that combat style later, and everything fits because the weapons are the same for the force side mirrored advanced classes and it also fits with the idea of the fall/redemption stuff (tho I would prefer the KOTOR dark/light thing, where your ability kit depends on your force attuning), it is different with the tech classes. Since tech classes can choose every combat style it won't make much sense to keep mirrored styles thing there. Would be cool to see the unique sniper rifle and assault cannon combat styles.

"If your character’s choices lead them away from their faction’s alignment and down the path of light side or dark side, they will eventually unlock the option to pick the other faction’s Combat Styles in addition to their own."

I really wish this wouldn't be the case. I understand the motivation behind it, but if the intention with Combat Styles is to separate story from gameplay, isn't this a little backwards? You're still tying story to gameplay, just in a different way.

I don't hate the idea, it just seems unnecessarily restrictive of player choice. I have several neutral Sith/Jedi, and it seems like they'll be locked into their faction playstyle.

This would undoubtedly be more complicated, but if you really don't want level 1 Knights running around throwing lightning, make a level restriction combined with the alignment. Say, if you're level 1 and neutral (as everyone is to start) you're restricted to your own faction's Combat Styles. But if you're still neutral at, maybe, level 20 you get to pick either.

Ideally there'd be no restriction at all, like the Tech classes. It just seems arbitrary and limiting to have this alignment restriction. Combat Styles are supposed to be about increasing player choice, but the alignment requirement is two steps forward, one step back.

Although it does seem like we will be able to switch factions,

this is not my question. I am wondering if we will be able to switch between combat styles (advanced classes) as many times as we want, or if we will be locked into one, once we choose it.

Switching factions would mean that a toon you created to play through the Knight story literally jumps over to the Imperial faction. That is not correct. For now, you can only switch combat styles of imperial classes or vise versa

ANd no you won't be locked in. The Loadout feature will allow you to switch combat styles with a "push of a button"

With Legacy of the Sith, we are bringing more customization to your Star Wars experience as we expand the gameplay options available with each storyline.

As a loyal subscriber/beta-tester since 2008/2011, i'm trying real hard to understand these 7.0 changes. :confused:

Basically, it seems like the crux of this LotS update/revamp is to give us yet another way to REPLAY the entire game all over again....again? (similar to what 1 of the previous BW producers said to us years ago, paraphrasing: "If you're bored, go roll an ALT" )

I'm not saying i won't enjoy doing all that ^ (depending upon how drastic combat ends up supposedly "dumbed down" ) but i am saying this particular "complete overhaul" type decision is just sorta perplexing to me. (especially amidst this our *10th Anniversary* year of SWTOR )

I feel like we aren't being completely informed yet about the deeper purpose of these upcoming changes. It all just seems sorta....i dunno...out of left-field (arbitrary) when compared to all the other potential directions the Dev Team could've gone.

Looking forward to more & more transparency & details, over the coming weeks. :ph_cheers:

As a loyal subscriber/beta-tester since 2008/2011, i'm trying real hard to understand these 7.0 changes. :confused:

Basically, it seems like the crux of this LotS update/revamp is to give us yet another way to REPLAY the entire game all over again....again? (similar to what 1 of the previous BW producers said to us years ago, paraphrasing: "If you're bored, go roll an ALT" )

I'm not saying i won't enjoy doing all that ^ (depending upon how drastic combat ends up supposedly "dumbed down" ) but i am saying this particular "complete overhaul" type decision is just sorta perplexing to me. (especially amidst this our *10th Anniversary* year of SWTOR )

I feel like we aren't being completely informed yet about the deeper purpose of these upcoming changes. It all just seems sorta....i dunno...out of left-field (arbitrary) when compared to all the other potential directions the Dev Team could've gone.

Looking forward to more & more transparency & details, over the coming weeks. :ph_cheers:

Pretty much on the same page.

IMO .. it's more like "re-tooling" each class and subsequently the UI as well (something that should be interesting to see in the coming weeks / months).

Even more stunned (personally) that with all of the options that could have been chosen to celebrate the 10th anniversary this was at the top of the list ????????

Hopefully there is other news that will be encouraging to the entire community at large. I look forward with anticipation more announcements from the team !

:cool:

Exactly. Of course they can and will keep trying to spin this as if it's the greatest thing, taking us for fools. That's what really annoys, or maybe even saddens me, as I've mentioned before.

Others have suggested that a console port is the end game here. Increasingly seems likely to me.

No, you will either have (since you used force choke as an example) Guardian abilities or Warrior abilities, not both. If you are a Guardian and decide to go the dark side yes you unlock the option of unlocking the warrior combat styles. I imagine if you go back to the light side you would lose the option to use warrior combat styles

I disagree - it does say that if you go say, dark Jedi, that you will unlock the other abilities "in addition" to their own.

We'll have to wait and see or get further clarification I guess.

I disagree - it does say that if you go say, dark Jedi, that you will unlock the other abilities "in addition" to their own.

We'll have to wait and see or get further clarification I guess.

Nope sorry you will not have a mix of abilities from two different combat styles. If you go dark Jedi it will open the option up of changing your combat style to that of a warrior/inquisitor. There will be no mix

direct quote from the article: If your character’s choices lead them away from their faction’s alignment and down the path of light side or dark side, they will eventually unlock the option to pick the other faction’s Combat Styles in addition to their own.

so yes you'll have opened all the combat styles but not something where you can pull 1 or multiple abilities from other combat styles. its all or nothing

Edited by CrazyScruffy

Nope sorry you will not have a mix of abilities from two different combat styles. If you go dark Jedi it will open the option up of changing your combat style to that of a warrior/inquisitor. There will be no mix

direct quote from the article: If your character’s choices lead them away from their faction’s alignment and down the path of light side or dark side, they will eventually unlock the option to pick the other faction’s Combat Styles in addition to their own.

so yes you'll have opened all the combat styles but something where you can pull 1 or multiple abilities from other combat styles. its all or nothing

Fair point - in the same way if you are a sniper trooper you won't be able to pull a canon out and use it too I'd imagine.

Cheers for your comments.

There are still two limitations on which Combat Styles are available to which Origin Stories:

If your character has a blaster-wielding Origin Story--Trooper, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, or Agent--they will have access to only the “Tech” Combat Styles: Vanguard, Commando, Powertech, Mercenary, Scoundrel, Gunslinger, Operative, and Sniper.

If your character has a Force-based Origin Story--Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Sith Warrior, or Sith Inquisitor--they will initially only have access to other Force-based Combat Styles that match their faction’s overall alignment:

Jedi Knights and Jedi Consulars will be able to choose between Guardian, Sentinel, Sage, or Shadow Combat Styles at level 1.

Sith Warriors and Sith Inquisitors will be able to choose between Juggernaut, Marauder, Sorcerer, or Assassin Combat Styles at level 1.

If your character’s choices lead them away from their faction’s alignment and down the path of light side or dark side, they will eventually unlock the option to pick the other faction’s Combat Styles in addition to their own.

This is exactly like I figured it would be. I did not expect for the tech classes to be able to use force abilities and I kind of figure that dark/light side would be important on which abilities you used.

I know people kept saying they could pick and choose (sort of like a buffet) but I didn't see how that would work so I was prepared for this.

Edited by casirabit

Yes this ^^

Will we be able to swap back and forth between combat styles (advance classes) at will?

If the answer is yes

Will we be able to do it on the fly in the open world or pvp?

Will it be something we can do in combat or only out of combat?

Will it be something we need to go back to the fleet to do?

If the answer is no.

Does that mean we are basically choosing one combat style (advanced classes) to lock in like we do now. The only different is more choice to lock in at the start.

If that’s the case, it really seems like a total waste of time and resources when you could just pick that class now.

Edited by TrixxieTriss