Maintenance: June 30, 2020

CommunityTeam

I see your point and agree yes its an exploit.

My next point is what the hell are the developers doing when "fixing" such things. Seriously terrible quality control.

The problem was that rep items were not consumed if you quic,ly rightclicked on them, so you could spam infinite rep points.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is decribing the launchers functions and described it well. Yes reorganizing takes forever before it spends the last 1% forever on the actual download. But as the saying goes... polish a turd you get a shiny turd.

I find it surprising that people would have this kind of issue. Since I got rid of Bitraider years ago, the game has always patched in a few minutes and without any error or blocking on my computer (a 6y old desktop running Windows 10 with a standard DSL connection to the www).

In my view MMOs are inherently complex beasts that get more complex as original devs leave and new content gets added and new devs come in with different ways of doing things.

In order to fix something properly, you need to have full control of it, or at least close to it. BioWare do not have control of this game. They have to scramble each time because stuff happens unexpectedly and over time that gets more frequent.

It started with their terrible choice for a half-engine so they needed to spend a lot of resources on finishing it. Then they went through a development hell not unlike their other games (Anthem being the latest and worst example to date). Then after release they lost most of their team but since the game failed they had to scramble and rebuild something to keep it alive. They've never stopped scrambling.

This game hangs together with strings and gum. Every time you change something somewhere, something else falls apart. Millions and millions of lines of code, some really bad choices, changing teams, high workloads and understaffing in development and this is what you get.

Every patch pulls strings. Every patch risks pulling other strings loose and it usually does. It's common here and the more common it is, the less control you know they have over this whole piece of live software.

Are you going to fix the issue where Every time I start my game and get to Character selection screen I have game download progress of 0.00% and I already have game downloaded. This has happened every day since 6.12 patching. I have to go to bitraider folder and rename it to be able to select characters and not have the game downloading progress popup

I think the server hamsters went from being on their union break to full strike, possibly rebelling after the loss of the 250% boost to kibble...

You know, this patch snafu is reminiscent of the issues in 2017 when the powers that be stole all those squirrels to go work on Anthem...

While getting a lot of rep points may be a bad bug, is it one that you need to bring the servers down for? Seems like a knee jerk reaction to me, if this is the issue that is.

Reminds me of a bug that hit an armor set in Galaxies after an update, where the RIS armor lost it's color dyes. It was still working like the armor usually did, it just didn't have the color dye it used to have. But hanks to whiners, SOE took the servers down again for that one non game breaking bug, leading to massive down times, and a lot of lost game time.

For those that were not there, the Galaxies servers used a looong time to get back up after the update was done. Status may have said online, but it took ~3 hrs for them to come fully online. So it was scehdueled down time, and then servers actually coming online after that.

The devs caught a lot of flak for that bone headed move, seeing as there was another server restart later that week, wich is when they should have added the bug fix, but nope, need to have dyes on the armor, becasue reasons...

Are you going to fix the issue where Every time I start my game and get to Character selection screen I have game download progress of 0.00% and I already have game downloaded. This has happened every day since 6.12 patching. I have to go to bitraider folder and rename it to be able to select characters and not have the game downloading progress popup

for all that extra time and work, you could have switched to the non-streaming launcher, resulting re-download, and not had a quick launch bar since...

for all that extra time and work, you could have switched to the non-streaming launcher, resulting re-download, and not had a quick launch bar since...

This^^^

I'm pretty sure that most launching issues people have are related to this goddamned Bitraider. Turn it off and be happy.

A sideline tip: Solving game issue.

If you have Power ISO you can make a ISO file of the game folder X:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts

Will be smart to also copy the C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\SWTOR in the same ISO.

When I have game problems I unzip the game and it works fine.

Don't believe me..just try it.

He is decribing the launchers functions and described it well. Yes reorganizing takes forever before it spends the last 1% forever on the actual download. But as the saying goes... polish a turd you get a shiny turd.

Since years the last % of ANY update takes longer than anything before that.

After an update I have to close the launcher and restart it. Other wise the game thinks that I am still in update mode.

And yes, the update takes a long time. But that happens to a lot of MMOs. The put a lot of data on our harddisks.

In my view MMOs are inherently complex beasts that get more complex as original devs leave and new content gets added and new devs come in with different ways of doing things.

In order to fix something properly, you need to have full control of it, or at least close to it. BioWare do not have control of this game. They have to scramble each time because stuff happens unexpectedly and over time that gets more frequent.

It started with their terrible choice for a half-engine so they needed to spend a lot of resources on finishing it. Then they went through a development hell not unlike their other games (Anthem being the latest and worst example to date). Then after release they lost most of their team but since the game failed they had to scramble and rebuild something to keep it alive. They've never stopped scrambling.

This game hangs together with strings and gum. Every time you change something somewhere, something else falls apart. Millions and millions of lines of code, some really bad choices, changing teams, high workloads and understaffing in development and this is what you get.

Every patch pulls strings. Every patch risks pulling other strings loose and it usually does. It's common here and the more common it is, the less control you know they have over this whole piece of live software.

The more I heard about this game, the more this game sounds like Darth Sion, body parts hang together with bugs and errors.

Remove BitRaider

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7826333

If you have Power ISO you can make a ISO file of the game folder X:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts

just setup a system backup with incremental checked so subsequent backups only flag changed files, that way if your game update bricks, you do not have to re-download (does not help with dev snafu's though)

Will be smart to also copy the C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\SWTOR in the same ISO.

use %localappdata%\swtor

Edited by Kaveat

Hi all,

All the servers are once again available! More information on the Game Update 6.1.2a, here: Patch Notes.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi folks,

We are bringing the servers offline to investigate a severe issue that was discovered. No ETA, we will let you know as soon as it becomes available.

So that was a f**king lie.

As far as I'm concerned, they owe me, $1500 for a computer. After the last patch, I logged in, played for a bit, logged out, crashed to black and would never come up again. The only change was their patch, and I just logged out of the game. The computer was 18 months old.

• Dev Post

Hi folks,

Our team is currently in the final stage of testing for a fix concerning the severe issue we previously discovered.

If everything goes smoothly, we will be able to deploy it and bring the servers back in approximately one hour or less. We'll update this thread when we're back.

We will also let you know what happened when it is all done.

Edited by CommunityTeam

As far as I'm concerned, they owe me, $1500 for a computer. After the last patch, I logged in, played for a bit, logged out, crashed to black and would never come up again. The only change was their patch, and I just logged out of the game. The computer was 18 months old.

Sorry to crush your hopes, but its literally not possible that the game is responsible.

Most likely a defective component.

Edited by DarthThadian

Hi folks,

Our team is currently in the final stage of testing for a fix concerning the severe issue we previously discovered.

If everything goes smoothly, we will be able to deploy it and bring the servers back in approximately one hour or less. We'll update this thread when we're back.

We will also let you know what happened when it is all done.

Servers are back up, you won't be taking them back down anytime soon right?