Launcher won't start - Intel i7-12700k

digitalfreak

Is anyone else who has a new 12th gen Intel processor (i9-12900, i7-12700, etc.)having any issues with SWTOR? I did a clean install and now I see the launcher flash for not even a second and then disappears. Game won't start at all. I figured it might be CPU related, as there are a few other games that have issues. This is the Steam version.

I checked the log file but there doesn't appear to be anything crash related in there.

Is anyone else who has a new 12th gen Intel processor (i9-12900, i7-12700, etc.)having any issues with SWTOR? I did a clean install and now I see the launcher flash for not even a second and then disappears. Game won't start at all. I figured it might be CPU related, as there are a few other games that have issues. This is the Steam version.

I checked the log file but there doesn't appear to be anything crash related in there.

It would help to know what version of Windows you are using too. Win 11 or Win 10 and the build numbers. It may not be related to the CPU at all. But there are reports that about 50 games are having issues with the Alderlake CPUs. As far as I can tell, swtor isn’t on that list. Its also possible a Steam software issue.

Here is a link to the I for about the games not working : https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/pc-games-drm-scroll-lock-fix

Definitely try what the other posters have suggested.

Run in Compatibility mode under administrator and see if that will start the game.

If that doesn’t work, you could try using the non steam installer version.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Thanks. I am running Windows 11. I've also tried all the suggestions posted so far with no luck. I've even done a full reinstall. One thing I did notice is that the launcher.settings, launcher-app.settings, and eula.settings files are missing, and the launcher appears to be trying load them right before it stops. I created empty text files with those names and the launcher.exe process at least runs, but there is no window.

If someone who has the Steam version of SWTOR could post the contents of those 3 files it would be much appreciated. I would assume they're supposed to be auto created, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks. I am running Windows 11. I've also tried all the suggestions posted so far with no luck. I've even done a full reinstall. One thing I did notice is that the launcher.settings, launcher-app.settings, and eula.settings files are missing, and the launcher appears to be trying load them right before it stops. I created empty text files with those names and the launcher.exe process at least runs, but there is no window.

If someone who has the Steam version of SWTOR could post the contents of those 3 files it would be much appreciated. I would assume they're supposed to be auto created, but I'm at a loss.

Be prepared to face the fact that Windows 11 is the source of your trouble and nothing beyond that point.

There's been little to no confirmation about people running this rather perverse 32 bit addled game successfully on Windows 11 (I know of 1 - and they didn't really share much in terms of what they had to do to get it to run)

If you do manage to figure it out - be sure to document what you did and how - because there will be others.

Id suggest compatibility mode to Windows 10 at a bare minimum - running as admin - make sure windows defender/firewall are SHUT OFF and put in their place.

Bring things back up slowly but surely.

Your in for a massive fight I suspect.

PS: the missing files are moot - the launchers first task is to update/install the rest of the game - your just messing with the "seed" or "start up" portion.

PS2: Id try running the game without steam - by itself - Steam tends to complicate things...then tie it back in for your sub. (you really don't need steam unless that's how your paying for the sub)

Edited by kage_goomba

Have you tried doing the install from the website and not steam? Its possible steam and Windows 11 combined might be causing the hiccup.

Be prepared to face the fact that Windows 11 is the source of your trouble and nothing beyond that point.

There's been little to no confirmation about people running this rather perverse 32 bit addled game successfully on Windows 11 (I know of 1 - and they didn't really share much in terms of what they had to do to get it to run)

I get that putting the blame on a new OS makes sense, but little to no confirmation about people running SWTOR on Windows 11? Come on.

I use Windows 11, and SWTOR runs fine for me. No special trick to make it work.

I get that putting the blame on a new OS makes sense, but little to no confirmation about people running SWTOR on Windows 11? Come on.

It’s probably a combination of the Alderlake architecture and Windows 11.

I’m not sure wether swtors DRM is a problem or not. It’s not on the list of games not working.

But Anthem and Jedi Outcast is, so it’s possible EA force a similar code into swtor.

Please think before you speak.....your not going to win much in the way of respect when you make these kinds of statements.

Please think before you speak.....your not going to win much in the way of respect when you make these kinds of statements.

"you're" 😂

On topic: Seeing as how it's a new machine, with a new CPU and Windows 11, there could be any number of problems. It could be related to drivers - check for the all the latest drivers (not just the graphics).

If it's related to Windows 11, you may need to wait for the inevitable barrage of updates.

If it's CPU related - check for updates to your motherboard's BIOS.

Edit: According to some of the online tech sites, there are problems with the new 12 series CPUs + Windows 11 + games. Fun times. 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker

Pretty sure they didn't do an update (fresh install) - they pretty much felt that since they got it to run on their laptop there was no more question about it being compatible and wanted the thread closed.

The person told you exactly what they did to make it work: "I have done nothing extra, except running the update from Win 10 to Win 11." Not a fresh install. Whether the comment was intended to end the thread or not is irrelevant, but you saying that they didn't share much in terms of what they had to do to get it to run is false.

I am simply correcting your untrue statement. Nothing more.

• 2 months later...

I got a 12th Gen Intel® Core i9-12900K with rtx3090

Tried everything from running admin. to a full reinstall...nothing. What makes me upset is this is the only game that is not running on my new system. FF14 & WoW runs fine. all my other EA games run fine. I'm at my wit's end. This is my favorite MMO. Just hope they come out with something to fix it soon.

I got a 12th Gen Intel® Core i9-12900K with rtx3090

Tried everything from running admin. to a full reinstall...nothing. What makes me upset is this is the only game that is not running on my new system. FF14 & WoW runs fine. all my other EA games run fine. I'm at my wit's end. This is my favorite MMO. Just hope they come out with something to fix it soon.

Can you explain what’s happening when you try to run the game.

Probably the same thing that everyone else has with 12th Gen Intel CPUs and SWTOR.

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=998523

I’ve just been reading that thread. I’m absolutely appalled that BioWare still hasn’t even offered any tech support or official fix yet. They made 2 posts to say thanks for letting us know🤯 and haven’t been back.

Another nail in the coffin for swtor that’s to BioWares lax attitude towards their paying customers.

I’ve just been reading that thread. I’m absolutely appalled that BioWare still hasn’t even offered any tech support or official fix yet. They made 2 posts to say thanks for letting us know🤯 and haven’t been back.

Another nail in the coffin for swtor that’s to BioWares lax attitude towards their paying customers.

I'm not sure what BW can do to "fix" Intel's CPU problem - other than to recommend you use an AMD cpu. 🤔

This Intel screw up affects more games than just SWTOR, too.

Edited by JediQuaker

I'm not sure what BW can do to "fix" Intel's CPU problem - other than to recommend you use an AMD cpu. 🤔

This Intel screw up affects more games than just SWTOR, too.

It’s a problem with the launcher not recognising the hybrid cores. There is a work around someone discovered that involves lots of fiddling around. One would think BioWare could more easily fix the launcher to update to a version that’s compatible.

Hello,

First of all, could we please continue to discuss any problem and question in the existing thread in Bug Reports area? Besides the current solution, I try to answer other users questions related to Windows 11, when possible.

It’s a problem with the launcher not recognising the hybrid cores. There is a work around someone discovered that involves lots of fiddling around. One would think BioWare could more easily fix the launcher to update to a version that’s compatible.

I tried to find "a point of failure" in the launcher using a binary debugger and should say that the problem is not in hybrid cores. SWTOR client and most of the launcher perfectly work with Alder Lake CPU, no matter which cores are enabled or disabled; even enabling a single core in BIOS is enough, but does not prevent this failure. The root of the problem is in incorrect interpretation of CPU type which is obtained by Win32 API call GetSystemInfo. Launcher uses these data to calculate the parameter SpecsHash, which is (apparently) needed to decide whether to verify the player's account by one-time code sent by e-mail. If the hash is the same as before and account has been verified, no additonal verification is needed. But in the case of problem with calculation, launcher cannot continue and quits without any error message. This happens with Alder Lake because of error in algorithm existing since launch of SWTOR, but it didn't happen on previous processors. To fix this bug, need a programmer with deep understanding of this mechanics. The patcher I have written simply prevents the unexpected termination of launcher, the hash is calculated (apparently) correctly, but it's a temporary solution which shall not be used as a permanent because it doesn't guarantee the compatibility with next CPUs like upcoming Raptor Lake. It should be a more complex work than replacement a single line in the source code.

Edited by Cassianus

Hello,

First of all, could we please continue to discuss any problem and question in the existing thread in Bug Reports area? Besides the current solution, I try to answer other users questions related to Windows 11, when possible.

I tried to find "a point of failure" in the launcher using a binary debugger and should say that the problem is not in hybrid cores. SWTOR client and most of the launcher perfectly work with Alder Lake CPU, no matter which cores are enabled or disabled; even enabling a single core in BIOS is enough, but does not prevent this failure. The root of the problem is in incorrect interpretation of CPU type which is obtained by Win32 API call GetSystemInfo. Launcher uses these data to calculate the parameter SpecsHash, which is (apparently) needed to decide whether to verify the player's account by one-time code sent by e-mail. If the hash is the same as before and account has been verified, no additonal verification is needed. But in the case of problem with calculation, launcher cannot continue and quits without any error message. This happens with Alder Lake because of error in algorithm existing since launch of SWTOR, but it didn't happen on previous processors. To fix this bug, need a programmer with deep understanding of this mechanics. The patcher I have written simply prevents the unexpected termination of launcher, the hash is calculated (apparently) correctly, but it's a temporary solution which shall not be used as a permanent because it doesn't guarantee the compatibility with next CPUs like upcoming Raptor Lake. It should be a more complex work than replacement a single line in the source code.

Thanks for clearing that up. And thank you for trying to help people when BioWare have been MIA on this issue.

• 3 weeks later...