So... Where are the male Jedi companions?

Pricia

I don't want to play the sexist card but... where are they? Kira, Jaesa, Nadia, Master Ranos... all females.

Why? It's almost like only female of such an important order should be considered inferior to your character and only females are weak enough to break the Council rules.

It actually kinda bothers me quite a bit. Female Jedi get... a playboy and a soldier as love interests (no offense to soldiers or playboys).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to play the sexist card but... where are they? Kira, Jaesa, Nadia, Master Ranos... all females.

Why? It's almost like only female of such an important order should be considered inferior to your character and only females are weak enough to break the Council rules.

It actually kinda bothers me quite a bit. Female Jedi get... a playboy and a soldier as love interests (no offense to soldiers or playboys).

The flaw in this logic, is there isn't any weak male force users, because that would be the PC play the "can't help falling in love and breaking the council rules" :p

That said, is Master Ranos able to be a LI or is it just that she's a female force user?

Also, there's Guss Tano for male force user :p

I have no doubt it's because the male player shan't feel threatened by another male force user alpha dog on the team. Just doesn't go well with the power fantasy. Plus the whole oh so sexy male master + female apprentice stuff.

I have no doubt it's because the male player shan't feel threatened by another male force user alpha dog on the team. Just doesn't go well with the power fantasy. Plus the whole oh so sexy male master + female apprentice stuff.

Yeah probably and that's why it really annoys me. it's just... sexist.

And no, Gus isn't a Jedi.

Yeah probably and that's why it really annoys me. it's just... sexist.

And no, Gus isn't a Jedi.

It's part of an ongoing theme.

All of the female only and gendered clothing still exist despite years of campaigning to get the restrictions lifted and to get versions for females that don't magically turn into sleeveless crop tops. Bioware still tries to pull that crap now and again, like with the swimwear they planed to release as female only until players complained.

3 female dancing deco's vs. 1 male.

Theron getting marginalized while Lana remains front and center.

When new npcs are introduced in pairs, the female is always attractive, the male is almost always either bt 1 or 4, and/or a weird alien. More females are featured in the newer stories, with flirts of course!

etc. etc.

It's part of an ongoing theme.

All of the female only and gendered clothing still exist despite years of campaigning to get the restrictions lifted and to get versions for females that don't magically turn into sleeveless crop tops. Bioware still tries to pull that crap now and again, like with the swimwear they planed to release as female only until players complained.

3 female dancing deco's vs. 1 male.

Theron getting marginalized while Lana remains front and center.

When new npcs are introduced in pairs, the female is always attractive, the male is almost always either bt 1 or 4, and/or a weird alien. More females are featured in the newer stories, with flirts of course!

etc. etc.

I suppose I could examine the game's original list of writers from back in the day and find out for myself, but were they all males and if so I wonder if they're all straight, that would explain much.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I recall the Smuggler writer being female.

It was actually both, Hall Hood and Jennifer Hepler

Imagine that, a man and a woman working together to make a couple walking hormones (especially the male smuggler)

To be totally honest, I got very little patience for all the "inequality in X" arguments that keep floating around. If you want to look for "imbalances" in a story, you will find them, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

Almost all the Sith spirits are male. Does that mean only males are evil enough to become ghosts? it's a plot!

Imbalance in the species of the various bartenders. Are aliens just better at serving drinks? It's a plot!

We have no Miraluka companions. Conspiracy against blind people? It's a plot!

It's been years since I've seen an armour set that is different for men and women. For that matter, it's been a long time since they've released anything even marginally revealing that I know of.

People get bent out of shape over gender balance issues in a game the features wanton murder, genocide, slavery, sexual exploitation and coercion, torture etc. etc. Doesn't really add up for me.

Anyway, let the flaming begin.

Still irks me that not a single female force user (JK, JC, SI, SW) has any romance with a male force user companion in vanilla but every male force user character does (Kira, Nadia, Jasea, Ashara).

My Dark V female SW won't have no less than an equally dark and powerful male force user by her side, and sorry Arcann doens't count as he's long gone in her galaxy. ;)

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

It was actually both, Hall Hood and Jennifer Hepler

Imagine that, a man and a woman working together to make a couple walking hormones (especially the male smuggler)

To be totally honest, I got very little patience for all the "inequality in X" arguments that keep floating around. If you want to look for "imbalances" in a story, you will find them, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

Almost all the Sith spirits are male. Does that mean only males are evil enough to become ghosts? it's a plot!

Imbalance in the species of the various bartenders. Are aliens just better at serving drinks? It's a plot!

We have no Miraluka companions. Conspiracy against blind people? It's a plot!

It's been years since I've seen an armour set that is different for men and women. For that matter, it's been a long time since they've released anything even marginally revealing that I know of.

People get bent out of shape over gender balance issues in a game the features wanton murder, genocide, slavery, sexual exploitation and coercion, torture etc. etc. Doesn't really add up for me.

Anyway, let the flaming begin.

Eh. I was just stating a fact. It might annoy you... but it's still a fact.

Of course I could have mentioned that somehow all the villains in the vanilla story are males too, but that doesn't really annoy me.

What annoys me is that my Jedi females have pretty much no option to have a romance with a male Jedi. I want a male companion to dress up in nice Jedi clothes!

Edited by Pricia

Female Force user companions ('*' indicates they can be romanced):

1. Kira Carsen *
  2. Nadia Grell *
  3. Jaesa Willsaam *
  4. Ashara Zavros *
  5. Lana Beniko *
  6. Senya Tirall
  7. Veeroa Denz
  8. Darth Hexid
  9. Master Ranos

Male Force user companions:

1. Lord Scourge *
  2. Xalek
  3. Guss Tuno
  4. Arcann *
  5. Choza Raabat

Nine female Force user companions with five that can be romanced, four of which can be romanced in the OC story (male PC only), and four that can be romanced by a male or female PC later in the game but three of those are class locked.

Five male Force user companions. None can be romanced in the OC story. Two that can be romanced by either a male or female PC in the late game, but one is class locked.

No, no problem here. It seems quite clear that romance in this game (at least during development) was dictated by the lower brain; especially considering that every single one of the OC romances are -- well -- as they are.

To be honest, I think BW has had a romance problem since the day the game launched because they decided to launch without SS/SG romances, and then when they did add SS/SG romances they half-arsed it by saying that all lesbians are Republic and all gays are Imperial.

Going back and redoing the OC romances is not on the table. Late game it seems like the romances have largely been forgotten. The few companions that have returned as playersexual have received a single cutscene and nothing more. If they do add a male Jedi companion who can be romanced (probably Arn) we all know that it will be a single cutscene and then never, or hardly ever, spoken of again. Honestly, is it even worth it to add it if they are not going to do it right, if all it will be is a single cutscene and then forgotten?

The only way that BW can fix the lack of a male Force user romance in the early game is to add new companions. Companions similar to Treek, who can be recruited as early as level 10 on the fleet, who have a story and conversation cutscenes, and maybe even some missions that our PC can help them with. Otherwise, anything else is a wham-bam thank you cutscene ma'am now fugedaboudit.

Why do people think this is something that has to feel fair? We have 8 different stories, and it seems they want all the stories to have the same exact companion list.

And even if one did have a male force user for a romance, I promise you, there'd still be complaints it wasn't for someone's favorite class.

So, complaining about all the classes not being the same, but then we seem to see lots of complaining about the story going into one story for all and being the same :p

So, complaining about all the classes not being the same, but then we seem to see lots of complaining about the story going into one story for all and being the same :p

No one complains about them not being the same. In fact, they are all the same. 4 male force user PCs plus 4 female romanceable apprentices, 4 female force user PCs plus 4 male romanceable non force users.

Sounds the same to me.

Edited by Lichtfaengerin