Behind-The-Scenes Look at SWTOR Systems Design

BryantWood

• Dev Post

Heya SWTOR Community!

I’m Bryant, a Game Designer on SWTOR. I’m so glad to join you in celebrating ten years of SWTOR! (Would you prefer Tin or Aluminium?)

It can’t be said enough times that your passion is the driving force of SWTOR and keeps this fire burning! One of the joys of my job is finding ways to continue fueling that fire, developing game systems you can get passionate about. I’d love to share that joy with you, so I’m excited to bring you a “behind-the-scenes” look at how Systems Design works for SWTOR.

I hope you enjoy and I’ll catch you at the party!

Edited by JackieKo

Thanks for this nice post. It's always good to her from the Devs. Would it be possible to know if the Crafting System will be attended to in the Anniversary? It's a clunky UI way too resource demanding and utterly depressing at this point. Any information would be massively appreciated. Edited by JakRoanin

Thanks for a peak behind the curtain!

Have you guys considered rolling Seasons more directly into the Conquest goals? The current Season is fairly neat, and I actually feel rerolls work well, but it seems like there's a happy medium between the current "pick a few" and next season's approach - ie: Season goals could just happen as part of the Conquest loop with wider categories of objectives (ie: GSF is fine, but stuff like blowing up barrels feels a bit awkward if it's part of a very short list of options rather than just one of many ways to rack up the Season points over natural gameplay) instead of the current system that kinda requires conscious choice to play in a less natural way at times.

That said, seasons is pretty great so far and I'm excited to see what's coming up for it!

Edited by Ugolino

I would love more concrete details on what you do and how you do it. How do you decide what goals to set for people and what the optimal path will be? How do you decide if you achieved your goal or missed it? How do you distinguish between players enjoying the path you set out for them, or simply gritting their teeth to get to the shiny the best or only way?

I've been loving reading through these Behind-The-Scenes posts especially as someone taking a uni course based in the creative technologies field. It has been an amazing experience watching the game grow and continuously add new systems for us all to enjoy and is definitely one of my inspirations to keep learning and creating. I look forward to seeing what new systems are in store for us during the 10th anniversary and beyond!

Heya SWTOR Community!

I’m Bryant, a Game Designer on SWTOR. , developing game systems you can get passionate about. I’d love to share that joy with you,

If only you (or someone) could explain the umm "logic" behind this recent system decision: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=996603 ....and then REVERSE it (or at least modify it with a compromise? ) , because it certainly doesn't seem to be bringing us much "joy" . :(

Thanks for the post though. /tip-hat

Edited by Nee-Elder
beta Vets like me appreciate your posts, but we also don't understand some of your weird decisions

Thanks for posting. Its nice to see devs appreciate players and we appreciate communications with those directly involved in shaping our game, such as yourself.

Heres hoping those that write the cheques at EA/Bioware keep both you and us gainfully (and joyfully) employed for the next 10 years.

• 1 month later...

It's really cool to see the work that goes into this game, and the passion of the people working on it! Thank you!

It's great to see how you guys are still going, and still producing good game with great story, even after almost a decade, and still going despite all the changes to the game and staff over the years. It's also cool to see a glimpse into the systems designs that go into that.

Edited by Nichos_Ketra