Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ferroz's Avatar


ferroz
02.17.2012 , 08:52 AM | #881
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
3 of the 5 companions a trooper get wear the same armor as troopers, of the other 2, one is a droid that has aim as a primary stat, the other wears medium armor.

The same goes for Bounty Hunters. Most of their companions use the same armor as them.

So a Trooper or Bounty Hunter can select need on an item they won't wear and give it to their companion because most of their companions wear the same stuff as them.
4 of 6 actually.

Aric, Elara, Tanno, Yuun wear heavy armor and use aim
M1 4X and c2n2 also use aim, but wear droid armor. C2 and M1 both have ear and implant slots iirc (doesn't make any sense but iiwii).

so 4/6 for non-droid slots and 6/6 companions for ear/implant slots.

Shingara's Avatar


Shingara
02.17.2012 , 08:53 AM | #882
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaelshi View Post
I'm guessing you did not think to much about this.

If someone has not focused on crafting and would still like to upgrade companion gear....that is why they would want to need on eq for companions.......

it seems self-evident that would be why.

If the gear's better and they dont yet have access to the better crafting gear.

I don't see a problem if its agreed to beforehand.
Actualy i know exactly what i was saying, obviously you dont as if you did you would understand what a a game economy is and how it works. If its agreed to allow people to roll for companions its ok but still negates the fact that crafted gear is still the best.

The reason is presence, when gear with it is worn by companions it stacks to the companion meaning you dont have to wear it and making it the second most important if not the most important stat to a companion with there base stat.

As it is crafted gear and weapons that have the best presence stat on them then it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that if you gear your companion in gear that has there major primary stat and huge amounts of presence that when equiped to a companion is infact stronger the op lvl gear when worn by a companion.

And this stat is found on crafter gear from the very 1st tier of crafted gear.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

ferroz's Avatar


ferroz
02.17.2012 , 08:58 AM | #883
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
And this stat is found on crafter gear from the very 1st tier of crafted gear.
I'll check when I'm home, but as far as I'm aware, I don't have a single schematic that has presence; not only do I have every pattern that I can buy (including the BoP ones that I'll never wear or equip to companions because they're medium/heavy strength), I've bought most of the schematics that are available in the gtn.

even if it is, there is dropped gear that is several tiers higher than the best stuff I can make... so it's clearly going to be better for the companion.

Galbatorrix's Avatar


Galbatorrix
02.17.2012 , 08:59 AM | #884
Quote: Originally Posted by Revenaught View Post
You assume I'm am setting up the ideal group for each run I go on. What if I utilize the upcomming put me in a group tool and have no choice on who I run an instance with?
And when did I say I had no plans on talking to any group I'm in with? If I had a particular companion I was running an instance to gear up instead of my main character I would definitely speak up at the party formation. But the sheer number of people on these threads who act like I'm the second coming of the Anti-Christ because I dare want to gear up a companion leads me to believe that theres a good chance one of them will end up in group with me.

Bottom line is I'm there helping them defeat the instance I shouldn't have to beg for an equal chance at the gear I'm there for.


You said that you go into a run specifically to gear certain companions. Well, since drops are based off of the PCs in the group, what you're doing is almost impossible unless you're specifically setting up runs with certain classes that also use your companion's primary stat. In other words, you're contradicting yourself. If you need AIM, you HAVE to have a trooper or BH in the group or the possibility of any AIM dropping is next to none. You can't have it both ways. Either you're searching out a trooper/BH to have a chance at the AIM gear that drops because they're in the group (this alone is even more proof as to where that loot should go) or you're not in there specifically trying to gear a certain companion. If you go in with all STR and Willpower users, you're only going to see STR and Willpower items drop 99% of the time.

Kaelshi's Avatar


Kaelshi
02.17.2012 , 08:59 AM | #885
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
Actualy i know exactly what i was saying, obviously you dont as if you did you would understand what a a game economy is and how it works. If its agreed to allow people to roll for companions is ok but still negates the fact that crafted gear is still the best.

The reason is presence, when gear with it is worn by companions it stacks to the companion meaning you dont have to wear it and making it the second most important if not the most important stat to a companion with there base stat.

As it is crafted gear and weapons that have the best presence stat on them then it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that if you gear your companion in gear that has there major primary stat and huge amounts of presence that when equiped to a companion is infact stronger the op lvl gear when worn by a companion.

And this stat is found on crafter gear from the very 1st tier of crafted gear.
I did not disagree with your premise - that crafted gear is better - I disagreed with your question as to why anyone would roll on gear since everyone knows crafted gear is better.

Like I said - it seems pretty obvious why someone would roll on gear for their companion if it has better stats than what the companion currently has something not as good as the gear that dropped.

You seem to agree with this but apparently wanted to put me in my place.

well done sir - you changed the subject to something I did not comment on and won the argument.

ferroz's Avatar


ferroz
02.17.2012 , 09:04 AM | #886
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
Well, since drops are based off of the PCs in the group,
That's not correct, unless it's been changed in the last few days. The last flashpoint I ran, the only non-str based drop that we saw was a relic. We didn't have a Jedi Knight in the group (trooper, consular, scoundrel, gunslinger). The same was true when we did the level 50 heroics before the flashpoint.

I've often seen aim and str items drop when I (shadow) am teamed with a scoundrel.

So your premise here is totally incorrect.

Shingara's Avatar


Shingara
02.17.2012 , 09:10 AM | #887
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
I'll check when I'm home, but as far as I'm aware, I don't have a single schematic that has presence; not only do I have every pattern that I can buy (including the BoP ones that I'll never wear or equip to companions because they're medium/heavy strength), I've bought most of the schematics that are available in the gtn.

even if it is, there is dropped gear that is several tiers higher than the best stuff I can make... so it's clearly going to be better for the companion.
They come from re'ing other stuff, think its 5 lines that re can go down, defense, crit, overkill and then presence is one of the 5
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Galbatorrix's Avatar


Galbatorrix
02.17.2012 , 09:10 AM | #888
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
That's not correct, unless it's been changed in the last few days. The last flashpoint I ran, the only non-str based drop that we saw was a relic. We didn't have a Jedi Knight in the group (trooper, consular, scoundrel, gunslinger). The same was true when we did the level 50 heroics before the flashpoint.

I've often seen aim and str items drop when I (shadow) am teamed with a scoundrel.

So your premise here is totally incorrect.

I call BS on you. I've ran tons of flashpoints and the complete opposite of what you claim is always the case. If I'm running with STR users and AIM users only, I almost NEVER see any other stat drop from a boss. I have seen it, but it's only been a few times out of 30 or 40 runs. I'm not talking random green gear. I'm talking boss loot.

Shingara's Avatar


Shingara
02.17.2012 , 09:11 AM | #889
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaelshi View Post
I did not disagree with your premise - that crafted gear is better - I disagreed with your question as to why anyone would roll on gear since everyone knows crafted gear is better.

Like I said - it seems pretty obvious why someone would roll on gear for their companion if it has better stats than what the companion currently has something not as good as the gear that dropped.

You seem to agree with this but apparently wanted to put me in my place.

well done sir - you changed the subject to something I did not comment on and won the argument.
Its not a fact of arguing or proving a point against you, purple master crafted lvl to lvl against quest rewards or flashpoint whilst leveling simply kicks the stuffing out of most orange gear drops from flashpoints and is noramly equal to world boss drops.

it just the case that at this moment in time people are focusing to much on pure lvl 50 gear and not really exploring the lower stuff bar a few people but the people doing the low lvl stuff are realising the potential of crafted gear on a leveling perspective.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Irusan's Avatar


Irusan
02.17.2012 , 09:24 AM | #890
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
I'll check when I'm home, but as far as I'm aware, I don't have a single schematic that has presence; not only do I have every pattern that I can buy (including the BoP ones that I'll never wear or equip to companions because they're medium/heavy strength), I've bought most of the schematics that are available in the gtn.

even if it is, there is dropped gear that is several tiers higher than the best stuff I can make... so it's clearly going to be better for the companion.
As biochem I have learned some purple implant recipes that have presence, so maybe its reverse engineering he's speaking of.