Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Setanian
01.26.2012 , 03:54 PM | #771
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightfox_ View Post
That's why everyone is still playing EQ
Everyone? So.. No-one is playing SW:ToR?
What is that baseball bat in your signature? Oh! It's a lightsaber! How cute is that !

AibaTakaya
01.27.2012 , 08:19 AM | #772
Quote: Originally Posted by Setanian View Post
And in pugs.. Don't forget that. If I help you in a pug, I have as much entitlement to get loot as well. What I do with it, is my business. You had a roll, I had a roll, if I win, I win. End Of.
Oh I totally understand what you're saying. I'm just trying to explain that, in my opinion, "entitlement" =/= "need" per se. Indeed everyone who had a hand in dropping a boss is entitled to whatever that boss drops; however, you certainly won't have any explicit need for every piece that could possibly drop from the boss. (Side note that I just thought of! Your companion didn't really do anything in the FP, so why should s/he get any gear? You wouldn't try and take gear for your friends from a group. )

But my original point was that there is no "need" for you to take high level FP gear for your companion from other players because companions aren't meant to replace other players. If you gear yourself well and use non FP gear for your companion, you shouldn't have any trouble in situations where you use your companion.

TL;DR - Players need gear more than companions because having an undergeared toon has a larger impact on gameplay than an undergeared companion.

Obiwansghost
01.27.2012 , 10:26 AM | #773
Why are people so obsessed with this? Flashpoints are repeatable.....REPEATABLE! Besides, I only run FP with my guild and most are running through them for the fourth or fifth time anyway. Who cares...so you missed out on a nice piece of gear in hammer station. Guess what? Wait 2-3 levels and go do the next FP and get something even better. I never had a problem with this because the story line quest rewards are usually much better than anything in FP*.

*Obviously I am not talking about lvl50 FP and operations.
Vehicles in SWTOR are NOT mounts.

Vonkong
01.27.2012 , 10:34 AM | #774
If you are not supposed to roll on gear your companion can use, why is it allowed by BioWare? It can be coded for, and BioWare didn't to code against it, so your opinion on what to roll on is no better than any other paying customers... kick me from the group and ignore me, you will be doing me the favor because your type always has their panties in a bunch about something, and I can do without that during my game time.

Maccaroth
01.27.2012 , 01:18 PM | #775
VanorDM - You misunderstood me.

There ARE unwritten and unspoken (in other words - invisible and untouchable) rules that people will expect the others to follow. But there are also the other people who doesn't know, care or disagrees with them. So far in all my PUGs people took Need for their character and Greed for anything else. Only people who took Need for their companions asked the group before if they are OK with it (and group was always or almost always fine with it).

Is it just a giant coincidence that in ALL of my groups we NEVER discussed loot rules before and still were in perfect agreement who looted what (except for the situations when someone happened to press the wrong button, but that can happen)? I think that's so because MOST (but not all) of the people DO follow these unwritten and unspoken rules I described before.

I base my own on what I've seen in game. Forums aren't separate for each server, so it's natural that various people with various opinions will be more visible in discussion (which is the reason why different mindsets meet here) rather than in the game itself.
Spirit of the warrior is born through rejection and tears.

Soul_of_Flames
01.28.2012 , 02:13 PM | #776
First, let me say that I don't roll for items that I don't need. That goes for clicking greed as well. I have never been in a position to want an item for a companion either.

Now, with that said, let me say this: GROW UP!

If you need an item, you need an item. Be it for yourself, your companion, your alt, your cat, or for toilet paper.

Companions are an extension of your player. Items on them are just as important as items on you. If you have a use for it, then it's your right to try and get it. That's why the roll system is in place. If you have a use for it and no one else does, then you gain an advantage in drawing it. If someone else needs it just as much as you do, then it all comes down to the luck of the draw.

It doesn't matter WHAT you need an item for so long that you actually have an intended use for it.

Now, to reiterate so people don't come back at me for being selfish or something, I have never rolled for items that I needed or my companion needed. So I am not speaking from experience here, just out of principle.

But I would have absolutely no problem with someone winning a roll for an item that I could have really used just so they can put it on their companion or strip the mods out of it and sell it. Why? Because I realized that my winning/losing of an item was purely chance. I lost to chance, and they won by chance. I concede my defeat and get on with my life.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to really grow up and stop complaining about stupid stuff like this.

Sprite
01.28.2012 , 11:11 PM | #777
I'm completely lost on this one...

If you play a pet class, and you can roll on an item that will make your pet stronger, how is that not "need"?

Your pet is an extension of your character. If your pet is stronger, so are you.
Canon should be used to inspire, never to limit.
Gameplay and Fun >>>>> Canon.

Bring Back Blaster Jedi: Because real Jedi don't need a big stick.

Krondorf
01.28.2012 , 11:29 PM | #778
i guess in gonna roll need for all items.
even if my companion doesnt use it, im gonna lie and say they do, since i have lets say 5 companions so far, or was it 6 ?

then after i have it, im gonna sell it to the vendor for extra cash.

why not ?

since peeps want to roll leet gear for their companions, i'll do the same, but not for my companions, just for my greedy self !

its a free world.

... im only kidding ! ive only grouped with pugs twice, and never had i rolled need for my companions.

respect goes a long way... respect is earned, not bought ! and no sweet talkers can freely acquire respect.

Darkness_au
01.28.2012 , 11:48 PM | #779
If its an upgrade for me or my main companion I'll roll for it, I was there for the fight and put in the work, I deserve a chance to roll on an upgrade, for me or my companion.

Deal with it

msdixi
02.11.2012 , 06:22 AM | #780
I spent one and a half hours in a FP as a Sage and the Guardian rolled Need and won all the Willpower pieces. My sage is wearing rags and really needed those pieces.
Other games have it so that you can only roll Need for your character and I hope that this game will follow suit.
I have read all the replies and it is still to me.. a selfish greedy person that does not honor the basics in MMOs of rolling need for what the character you are playing at that moment can use.
It is a matter of decency and respect of others to follow that need means.. i need it for THIS character.